[KERNEL][XZP] Zest Kernel reBORN 🍋 - January - Pie

Search This thread

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
I’m going to clarify a few things from latest update:

1) If you were decrypted before flashing/flashed this over a clean data then you’re going to have TWRP not working for you at all (official TWRP, if using another you may be able to get into it but /data WILL NOT decrypt). This is due to me moving to FBE ICE for faster boot times, and I’ll release my own TWRP within due time.
2) Ignore the triple debug logs you see when flashing, this isn’t a bug and is just how the new installer works.
3) I’ll add F2FS soon but encryption will be slightly slower on it. I’ve spoken to arter97 and my efforts in backporting ICE F2FS FBE down is gonna be too much of a mess that the f2fs maintainer said to leave it.
4) 120Hz is added but NOT enabled by default, if you want to you’ll need to switch fb0 modes and restart surfaceflinger (which I’m not sure how to stable-y do). If you’re gonna ask me “why no default” look at my kernel repo and you’ll see there’s a bug where you only get avg. 10FPS if I boot with 120fps. I’m working on it. 4K support has always been there but I’m warey that the Sony HAL will go back to 60fps if I don’t replace 60 fps itself. If they do I reaaallly hope it won’t apply to my 120fps change and only 4K. I’m just hoping it obeys the default panel method.

5) I’ve had 4 hours of kernel building issues yesterday involving restarting my server. It will take time to get 120Hz working but on my list next is CFQ backports including Q changes, arter97’s f2fs changes and EAS with a custom energy model/config (EM) I’ll calculate.

I’d like a question of what display modes you’d like if I can find a way to make a dynamic switch, I’m thinking of:
1080p60 (stock)
1080p90
1080p120 (sodp addition)
1080p144 (Sjill tested)
1440p60
1440p90 (going higher bypasses clock limit for device)
4K30 (should i add this mode? i don’t know if it’ll be useful or not)
4K60 (stock)

Reactions: JosephDM

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev

mads339

Mar 1, 2008
Thanks for doing all this :)

Couple of things:

In the newest update you mention encryption would need custom twrp, what if I am unencrypted and use disable forceencrypt after kernel flash?

To clarify the FDE/FBE, you are changing the default to ICE FBE for EXT4 but the coming F2FS support will retain FDE, as the FBE backport would be too much?

For resolutions:
All 1080's for choice between high performance and (hopefully) better battery.
4k60 for the beautifully crisp display.
If 4k30 would increase battery life with static content (book reading) then a vote there as well.

A question, is it possible to add something to lower minimum brightness? Had it on my old N5 (FK) and it was amazing for reading in the dark.

Lastly, I am running zest + uni dm verity and fec disabler + magisk + existenz. Adding your superstock on top removed a lot of bloat but the camera and flash stopped working (Error, Unknown error). Is that fixable or an incompatibility?

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
Thanks for doing all this :)

Couple of things:

In the newest update you mention encryption would need custom twrp, what if I am unencrypted and use disable forceencrypt after kernel flash?

To clarify the FDE/FBE, you are changing the default to ICE FBE for EXT4 but the coming F2FS support will retain FDE, as the FBE backport would be too much?

For resolutions:
All 1080's for choice between high performance and (hopefully) better battery.
4k60 for the beautifully crisp display.
If 4k30 would increase battery life with static content (book reading) then a vote there as well.

A question, is it possible to add something to lower minimum brightness? Had it on my old N5 (FK) and it was amazing for reading in the dark.

Lastly, I am running zest + uni dm verity and fec disabler + magisk + existenz. Adding your superstock on top removed a lot of bloat but the camera and flash stopped working (Error, Unknown error). Is that fixable or an incompatibility?
Can you try to delete the vendor/camera and vendor/etc folder from SuperStock to fix that? F2FS will be using FBE (non-ICE) as I'm completely against FDE. I think FEC (forceencrypt) disablers still work so you can avoid encryption still that way. About min brightness, I'll look into it. I found a bug where you can go lower but cannot escape.

With no encryption and the remove of the fstap patch, everything is fine.

For resolution I would recommend 1440... :)
I prefer people to use it to enjoy the full experience of zest. But you won't have any TWRP so boot image backups are necessary and can be restored via fastboot.

mads339

Mar 1, 2008
Can you try to delete the vendor/camera and vendor/etc folder from SuperStock to fix that?
Deleted "system/vendor/etc" and "system/vendor/camera" in the zip, no dice, same error.
F2FS will be using FBE (non-ICE) as I'm completely against FDE.
Ah, okay. So the slowdown is due to having to use non-inline crypto.
I think FEC (forceencrypt) disablers still work so you can avoid encryption still that way.
Cool
About min brightness, I'll look into it. I found a bug where you can go lower but cannot escape.
Cheers :)

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
Deleted "system/vendor/etc" and "system/vendor/camera" in the zip, no dice, same error.

Ah, okay. So the slowdown is due to having to use non-inline crypto.
Hmm, you need to delete system/vendor/lib and system/vendor/lib64 too. I'll sort that out later.

F2FS non-ICE FBE will still be faster than ICE FBE on Ext4 however, so it's up to you. I just prefer the "better" encryption. Random write might be the only thing slower IG.

Sjll

Recognized Developer
Jun 4, 2017
Chongqing
You could refer to this commit to enable high screen frame rate.
https://github.com/EAS-Sony-Yoshino...mmit/e34e910d4b16f7b065d4a3fc5a82add3b0de94e1
About 4K, you could edit the
Code:
qcom,mdss-dsi-panel-width = <540>;
qcom,mdss-dsi-panel-height = <1920>;
to
Code:
qcom,mdss-dsi-panel-width = <1080>;
qcom,mdss-dsi-panel-height = <3840>;

of all the 1080P configs.
Kernel will always stay at the config named "1080p".

Last edited:
Reactions: HoiFung

N.Y.Gazz

Feb 16, 2013
Brest
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3

https://github.com/EAS-Sony-Yoshino...mmit/e34e910d4b16f7b065d4a3fc5a82add3b0de94e1

Code:

to

Code:

Where do you write this?

Envoyé de mon G8141 en utilisant Tapatalk

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
Thanks for all your work!

Did i get it right that in your latest release 4k is enabled? How do i enable it of that is the case? @LazerL0rd
No, I didn’t say I’ve enabled by default. Switching currently requires restarting a core Android service which can’t be done safely ATM. I need time to think of a way.

Is it just me, or why can't I open both of the links? It says domain is not available etc..
Website had issues, it’s all fixed now :). Sorry.

Code:
to
Code:

1) Yes, I do use a similar commit - described below. I would be surprised if no one could figure that out.
2) 4K is already an option, but side point - if you or anyone didn’t know - the reason we use half the width of the standardised resolutions (540 instead of 1080 for example) is cause our panel splits the width of the display across two channels as it’s a heavy thing for a single link to carry.
3) It’s not always at 1080p - you change which is default with “qcom,mdss-dsi-timing-default”.
4) Weirdly, after all the correct changes (even doing it your way which is no different in the end, just less customisable and slightly incorrect in terms of kernel mannerisms) I’ll only get ~10fps from fb0. I’m investigating.
5) The method I use is this -> https://gitlab.com/ZKP/maple/commit/9600bb64678ea7de384c47b521af9233868556f6 . By messing with the default command I can switch between the one which defaults at boot.
6) There was something else I linked to you in the other thread you’ll need to actually produce more than 60FPS - https://gitlab.com/ZKP/maple/commit/10c1cbb193b647a681680c98da9fb5f37b6b20f7.

JosephDM

Dec 12, 2016
@LazerL0rd we still have to use XperiFix to fix DRM after unlocking the bootloader or there's another method? (Btw keep up the great work, you are making the best kernel for XZ Premium)

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
@LazerL0rd we still have to use XperiFix to fix DRM after unlocking the bootloader or there's another method? (Btw keep up the great work, you are making the best kernel for XZ Premium)

On Oreo - 1) restore your backed up TA (thanks @j4nn)
or 2) use XperiFix or the tools on XDA

On Pie - 1) restore TA
2) no other fix, cam still works tho

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    usz12P2.jpg

Code:
    *** Disclamer

Please behave responsibly and avoid thermonuclear war. I am
    not responsible for any bricked devices, etc.
    Introduction
    This is Zest Kernel. It's an optimized kernel for our device which includes a few nifty features. Built, on every security update, you'll have the best of the best. Features will be listed below and shared, to the most of my ability, across all my supported devices. This isn't just my kernel it's yours too - request any features you like and I'll try to add them in. However, I'm also busy with studies so please don't ask for dumb stuff.
    Features
    • Built on UBERnaro toolchain
    • PaX security commits
    • DTS Android port commits
    • 32-bit vDSO for faster syscalls
    • High tickrate to avoid jitter
    • Kali Nethunter aircrack-ng support
    • 120Hz display
    Installation instructions
    * Flash via TWRP, or Franco Kernel Manager
    * Enjoy!
    Download
    Latest is on my website, all versions available at ftp://ftp.lasterhub.me.
    FAQ
    Special Thanks To
    Code:
    * @Myself5 for his Sony support
    * Bartcubbins/Pavel for his advice and corrections

XDA:DevDB Information
    Zest Kernel Projecc, Kernel for the Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Contributors
    LazerL0rd
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/ZKP/maple

Kernel Special Features:

Version Information

Created 2019-02-09
    Last Updated 2019-05-28
    New update, new installer, better everything. This new update should solve all your flashing problems with the new AK3 installer. I also added 120Hz SUPPORT (buggy atm so not default) and cleaned up the kernel a bit.

Later on today I'll post a faster more optimised kernel built with GCC 9 by @kdrag0n and some more cleanups so look out for it on my FTP Server.

Enjoy!
    UPDATE :D

Thank you for using it.
    Did you include double tap to wake up in your kernel

Released an update:
    • UFS flash now uses noop i/o
    • eMMC flash now uses deadline i/o
    • TCP now uses veno (optimised for wireless networking)
    • Double Tap 2 Wake (DT2W) is added (not set by defualt tho)

To set DT2W use a kernel manager to set /sys/devices/virtual/input/clearpad/wakeup_gesture to 1.
    Update out! Basically all cleaned up.
    New release this morning, has .8.24 fix and compiled with 8.x toolchain.