[KEXEC][CM9][AOKP] Update PRL and Calibrate Sensors for CM9 and AOKP

Search This thread

wtogami

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
Epic CM Team Blog: Boot FC09 from SDCard

Useful Utility for CM9 Epic 4G
This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's FC09 firmware entirely from sdcard without making any changes to the ROM installed on your phone. Simply reboot to return to your normal ROM. This sdcard ROM is useful for several purposes.
  • Settings > About Phone > System updates >
  • Update Profile.
  • Update PRL.
  • Settings > Display > Horizontal calibration
  • Do this if you have problems with auto rotate on CM9.
  • Sprint Activation.
  • Dial codes and diagnostic mode.
  • Test Samsung FC09 behavior to aid in CM development.
Changelog
  • FC09-based with working 3G, 4G, Update Profile, faster speed.
  • Uses 500MB on sdcard instead of 1GB.
  • Includes Connectbot and GPS Status.

Last edited:

darkierawr

Feb 2, 2011
Wow! This is excellent! Thank you Warren. I'm glad you decided to begin developing for the Epic. Your releases are invaluable thus far. :D

I look forward to seeing more from you!

Last edited:

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Mainly useful for CM7 users:
This is an unusual ROM that boots entirely from your sdcard. This allows you to temporarily boot into stock EL30 which might be useful for various purposes included:
  • Test stuff on EL30 to compare behavior to aid in CM debugging.
  • Update Profile, PRL, or do Sprint Hands Free activation.

samsung-epic-stock-el30-kexec-multiboot.tar.bz2

171MB md5sum c4532cd10b37382d25af8304deb57fe8

How To Procedure

1. Download the tarball.
  2. Unpack it in sdcard, leave the directory structure intact.
  3. Boot into CWM.
  4. "Flash" multiboot/EL30/boot_EL30.zip
  5. It will boot EL30.
Warnings!

• DO NOT MOUNT USB STORAGE. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN.
  • NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PRODUCTION USE.
  • It will be a bit slow because your sdcard is slow.

Could someone do a video for this looks pretty nice but I don't understand how or what a tarball is anyways haha

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

lilajrestnom

Jul 31, 2011
Philadelphia
Ok.. so let me get this straight
I can flash this the ill b on stock el30 right?
I can update my prl??
And to return I just turn off the phon and turn it on and ill b back on my cm7?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
Lol, I was just suggesting this idea for PRL updates a few hours before this thread was created, didn't think I'd see it manifest so soon (not trying to claim credit, just enjoying the coincidence). :)

dddeskt0p

Dec 21, 2008
just tested this out. booted fine, although a bit slow as you stated. ran both Update PRL and Update Profile successfully. could not get 3g or 4g data working though. powered off without a problem.

thanks for such a smooth way to update PRLs from CM7.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
just tested this out. booted fine, although a bit slow as you stated. ran both Update PRL and Update Profile successfully. could not get 3g or 4g data working though. powered off without a problem.

thanks for such a smooth way to update PRLs from CM7.

Explain how it works how do you boot into it and how do you boot back into CM7 so confused on this that's why i asked for a video so we could see this in action.
TIA

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
Explain how it works how do you boot into it and how do you boot back into CM7 so confused on this that's why i asked for a video so we could see this in action.
TIA

I have not done it, but I will try to explain how I understand it working. Basically you are unpacking a rom onto your SD card and then booting into CWM and flashing a script. The script tells the phone to boot the rom on the SD card. So you will boot into EL30, which is the rom on the SD card. You can do whatever you want to accomplish within EL30, and when you are done you simply reboot your phone. Your phone will boot normally into whatever rom it was running before you did anything, because the only way to boot into the EL30 rom on your SD card is by flashing the script in CWM.

So basically, its a rom that sits on your SD card and is never ever used unless you flash the "boot_EL30.zip" script in CWM, and even then it only boots into it once. As soon as you reboot you are back into CM7 or whatever other rom you are running.

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
With epic-scale gratitude to you for this wtogami!

Only last week had ODIN'd back to stock just simply to Update Profile............this Rocks!

XtaC318

Sep 28, 2010
Myrtle Beach
I'm asking this purely out of being curious, but reading the information over on CM7 it says not to mount the SD Card.

Theoretically what would happen if you were to mount the SD Card while running this?

styles420

Nov 12, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21
I'm asking this purely out of being curious, but reading the information over on CM7 it says not to mount the SD Card.

Theoretically what would happen if you were to mount the SD Card while running this?

Well, since the entire rom and kernel are read from your SD card, and the SD is automatically unmounted from the phone in order to mount as USB storage... remember the warning about apps on the phone being unable to access the sd card while it is usb-mounted? It would be like suddenly disconnecting the hdd containing your windows installation while the computer is on (maybe not exactly the same, but hopefully you see the conflict that would arise?)

Reactions: XtaC318

JBakey

Oct 19, 2010
Just out of curiosity, the download page says 171 MB, but the download itself is only 164 MB. Maybe a typo? Or uncompressed size?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Epic CM Team Blog: Boot FC09 from SDCard

Useful Utility for CM9 Epic 4G
    This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's FC09 firmware entirely from sdcard without making any changes to the ROM installed on your phone. Simply reboot to return to your normal ROM. This sdcard ROM is useful for several purposes.
    • Settings > About Phone > System updates >
    • Update Profile.
    • Update PRL.
    • Settings > Display > Horizontal calibration
    • Do this if you have problems with auto rotate on CM9.
    • Sprint Activation.
    • Dial codes and diagnostic mode.
    • Test Samsung FC09 behavior to aid in CM development.
    Changelog
    • FC09-based with working 3G, 4G, Update Profile, faster speed.
    • Uses 500MB on sdcard instead of 1GB.
    • Includes Connectbot and GPS Status.
    ***Updated version posted to work from CM10***

See blog post (link in OP) for instructions and new files. :)
    Is there an alternative to Odining to stock? I'm having a problem with rotation and want to calibrate my screen. I am currently on cm-10-20120926-NIGHTLY with the FC09 modem.

Yes there is... find any cm9 kernel (any mtd kernel may work) flash cm9 kernel in cwm, reboot recovery (DON'T REBOOT THE PHONE HERE ON ACCIDENT). Now you should be able to use the temp boot... once done boot back to cwm and reflash cm10 (or just the kernel for your rom) and now you can boot the phone back up... hope that helps....
    More specifically:

You can try this:
    1. Boot into recovery.
    2. Do a backup, if you don't already have one with your current kernel.
    3. Flash a 2.6 kernel (I tested with a CM9 kernel)
    4. Reboot to recovery (since you won't be able to boot CM10)
    5. Flash the boot_FC09.zip
    6. Do whatever you need to do
    7. Boot back into recovery
    8. Advanced restore -> boot (or reflash CM10, reflash your CM10 kernel of choice, full restore, etc.)

How you restore your proper CM10 kernel is up to you. Advanced restore seems like the easiest way if you remember to backup first, although I haven't tested that method yet.
    Updated 4/8/2012: Now with working 3G/4G data and Update Profile!

Epic CM Team Blog: Update PRL and Calibrate Sensors for CM9 and AOKP

Major bug fixes, now with working 3G/4G data and Update Profile!