[KEYBOARD][4.0+] NextApp Keyboard: AOSP-derived Keyboard with Arrow, Function Keys

Search This thread

tliebeck

Sep 15, 2010
Southern California
@tliebeck

I've noticed one minor issue. Key pop-ups seem to be cut off at the bottom in most themes.

Also, would it be possible to enable multilingual suggestions as for example in Gboard, please?

Thank you!

Not able to see the key pop-up cutoff...are you running larger-than-standard fonts? You can reduce the font size of the keyboard.

When you say multilingual suggestions...do you mean for multiple languages at once?

springer.music

Dec 15, 2010
Planet Earth
ASUS ZenFone 6 (2019)
Not able to see the key pop-up cutoff...are you running larger-than-standard fonts? You can reduce the font size of the keyboard.

I tried with different font sizes with the same result.

Please find attached a screenshot.
744e50cb3d1f7086fa5cb1670cfdd334.jpg

When you say multilingual suggestions...do you mean for multiple languages at once?

Yes, like the latest Gboard, Chrooma and similar keyboards. The word suggestions only come from the languages selected in settings.

m0d

Nov 3, 2010
Just trying keyboard, and getting the hang of all the settings.
Great work.
A couple of things I noticed:
  • PC layout setting does not persist, when switching to and from another input method or when changing settings such as adding more languages, you always have to reenable PC layout setting:
    Screenshot_20170912-235234_01.png

Screenshot_20170912-235627_01.png
  • Advanced setting Switch to other input method checkbox does not work, as I have it disabled/unchecked and still clicking on language button switches input method, (which brings me back to first issue as I have to reslect PC layout).
    Unchecked:
    Screenshot_20170912-235648_01_01.png

Switches to other input method:
    Screenshot_20170912-235700_01_01.png
  • Is it possible to have Suggestions added to Orientation layout, (where we are able to select % for size like top row). Also, setting translucency of background would be nice, as of does not match theme and blocks screen space so ability to set translucency would be good.
    Screenshot_20170912-234843_01.png
Which add-on dictionaries are supported?
Currently, there are 6 already installed with the option to delete, but how to add?

Last edited:
Reactions: tliebeck

m0d

Nov 3, 2010
A few more observations:
Tab key is missing on PC layout, a black space appears in its place:
Screenshot_20170914-123140_01_01.png

Is it possible to have the shaded hidden character hints on top right corner, example the symbols on number key and the ? on / key:
Screenshot_20170914-123208_01_01.png

Is there a way to import/create themes?

x7i7l

Oct 11, 2017
For anyone who is interested I found the typing library in here: pa_gapps-stock-4.4.4-20150410-signed.zip
You will have to search for it because i can't post links yet.

The name of the file is libjni_latinime.so

mybabyloves

Jan 23, 2017
Fresno
For anyone who is interested I found the typing library in here: pa_gapps-stock-4.4.4-20150410-signed.zip
You will have to search for it because i can't post links yet.

The name of the file is libjni_latinime.so
Here's the link for where I got it: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934553345 (to make it easier) :)

Just fyi, there are two libjni_latinime.so files in here. Get the one from [Extracted Folder Name]\Core\required\lib. If you get the one from [Extracted Folder Name]\GApps\keyboardgoogle\lib it WILL crash your keyboard every time you try to swipe! Just a warning, I had to reinstall the typing library 3 times before I figured that out...

Lascaille

Aug 16, 2011
Hi Tod,

Thanks for the great work on this keyboard, I think I've been using it since having a Galaxy S2 and really can't deal with anything else.

I've just come across one issue which doesn't actually seem to be the fault of the keyboard, but is either due to Chrome or some crappy javascript and happens to only show up for this keyboard and not Gboard.

A vbulletin website I use has updated and now has some weird stuff going on with their 'post' and 'reply' fields. For example, if you make a 'new post' and enter a single newline (press enter) you then have to press backspace six times to delete the newline character, however 'select all' shows that the text field contains only one single newline...

On that website if you want to delete a bunch of text using gboard you just hold down backspace and the characters are erased as usual.

If you do the same in nextapp you find text being re-added and deleted, re-added and deleted - like, if you're backspacing through the word 'excellence' you may find the next press of the backspace key inserts the entire word minus the last letter. Basically, whatever is in the 'suggestion' window may get inserted when you press backspace.

From playing around it I am coming to understand how the android keyboard system works, the keyboard receives the full contents of the text field from the app? So if the app then changes the text field itself (i.e. due to javascript) there is a period during which changes made by the keyboard will be lost, because the keyboard will be sent a new field... right? That's what seems to be happening anyway.

Gboard seems to avoid issues by not updating the 'suggestions' field with backspace held down.

I don't think this is really your bug to solve, but if performance would be improved by following the gboard lead and not updating suggestions and re-polling the text field while backspacing, that might be worth doing?

palmuse

Dec 4, 2012
OnePlus 6T
Here's the link for where I got it: https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934553345 (to make it easier) :)

Just fyi, there are two libjni_latinime.so files in here. Get the one from [Extracted Folder Name]\Core\required\lib. If you get the one from [Extracted Folder Name]\GApps\keyboardgoogle\lib it WILL crash your keyboard every time you try to swipe! Just a warning, I had to reinstall the typing library 3 times before I figured that out...

Thank you for this post! Helped me immensely. Not sure why it is not part of the app desc posts.

Reactions: mybabyloves

fivefour

Jun 7, 2010
Emerald Coast
bit.ly
Just in case anyone comes across this thread in 2021 and needs the typing library to enable gesture typing here you go.

And just in case something happens to the attachment here is a mega link libjni_latinime.zip

Attachments

• libjni_latinime.zip
    204.7 KB · Views: 13

GeePoosh

Feb 18, 2014
Tangerang
Hi, could you please add emoji feature to this keyboard? This is the only fluently working keyboard for me as a totally blind user using Talkback in Samsung M11 android 11, with the latest keyboard. I would really appreciate it... Thank you very much...

Reactions: TechnoSparks

njank

Jan 6, 2014
Just in case anyone comes across this thread in 2021 and needs the typing library to enable gesture typing here you go.

And just in case something happens to the attachment here is a mega link libjni_latinime.zip
Many thanks for the easy download. Just forced to upgrade from one cheap moto to another (thanks AT&T), and even in 2022 on Android 11 this is still my favorite keyboard. of course it gives the "this was made for an older version of android" warning, but it seems to work fine.

Now, anyone know how to transfer whatever file contains the autocorrect suggestion history? Old phone acted fine, new phone now barely offers any suggestions and i checked all the settings are the same between the two phones.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The NextApp Keyboard is a derivative of the AOSP keyboard found in Android 4.4 KitKat, with added arrow keys and other special keys, and a slightly tweaked QWERTY layout that is closer to that of a PC Keyboard.

This keyboard is intended as an "everyday use" keyboard. While I'm a fan of "Hacker's Keyboard"'s full PC layout for serious hacking, its larger number of keys requires that individual keys be smaller, reducing accuracy. The AOSP keyboard and the various popular aftermarket keyboards, while having large enough keys, are lacking in quick access to fine cursor control abilities and developer features (some more than others).

The design goals of this keyboard are as follows:

1.) Maximize the size of key basic typing layout: top row contains only QWERTYUIOP and extends from one edge of the screen to the other (on phone-sized devices).
    2.) Maximize screen area while typing.
    3.) Provide quick access to full cursor control, function, control, and special keys.

nak_qwerty.png
    nak_function.png

This keyboard includes a function key ("Fn") toward its lower left corner which can be used to access many additional keys typically found on a PC or Mac keyboard, including:

* Cursor Arrow Keys
    * Page Up / Page Down
    * Insert, Delete, Home, and End.
    * Function F1-F12.
    * Ctrl and Alt
    * Tab
    * Escape

Additionally the function keyboard mode includes twelve symbols found on a PC/Mac keyboard which are not accessible from the Android first-level symbol keyboard. They are included on the function keyboard such that you do not have to visit the second-level symbol keyboard to access them. This reduces the number of key-presses required to type these keys from three to two. This can be useful when writing technical documents or code.

The fundamental QWERTY keyboard layout has been very slightly tweaked to mimic that of a PC keyboard. Specifically, the size of the left shift key has been reduced such that the third row (ZXCVBNM) is no longer overly shifted to the right. The shift key is now a standard sized key. This modification only applies to phones (the AOSP keyboard already uses this layout for tablets).

A comparison of the main keyboard layouts of the NextApp keyboard (first image) vs. the stock AOSP on which it is based (second image):
    nak_qwerty.png
    aosp_zxcvbnm.png

And the standard PC typing keyboard layout, for comparison:
    pc_layout.png

Google does not include the "gesture typing" feature in the AOSP keyboard, though they did modify the design of the AOSP keyboard significantly to accommodate it as a plugin. The gesture-typing functionality is packaged in a shared library which is distributed only to OEMs and via the Play Store. I've added a facility (in Settings) in the NextApp keyboard to accommodate such plugin libraries should you wish to install one. This feature will always be considered experimental.

This version of the keyboard is free to use. I will be adding it to the Play Store soon, but wanted to get feedback here first.

I may create an enhanced paid version with more features. The paid features might include some more advanced options in the "Fn" mode, more configruation/personalization, theming capabilities, and a couple of accuracy-related ideas I've been testing out.

This keyboard uses the same permissions as the AOSP keyboard, which is quite a number of them. The worrisome ones are of course the "read contacts"-related items. These are used by the autosuggest contact names feature (part of the AOSP keyboard).

Installation Instructions

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.inputmethod.latin

Direct Download: http://android.nextapp.com/keyboard/r19/NAK_r19.apk

1.) Install the APK.
    2.) Open your device's Settings menu, select "Language & Input".
    3.) Check NextApp Keyboard.
    4.) Tap the "Default" item and select NextApp Keyboard as the default.

This keyboard does NOT currently add a launcher icon that links to the automated setup, but that will likely change soon.

Thank you for any feedback, bug reports, and suggestions!
    Additional screenshots:

Portrait orientation:
    nak_qwerty_portrait.png
    nak_function_portrait.png

Symbols layout:
    nak_symbol.png

The symbols layout is slightly modified from stock, and I'm possibly looking at adding '<' and '>' (less-than and greater-than) keys here as well, and then removing them from the Function keyboard.
    Expiration extension uploaded to playstore and also available here: http://android.nextapp.com/keyboard/r94/NAK_r94.apk
    Updating this project after a long hiatus.

This app is now entirely free, there will be no paid version. Themes are free, precision vibration feedback is free. The only "revenue" potential for this app are now a pair of links at the top of the settings to FX File Explorer and SystemPanel2. These are not ads, they are hardcoded links to those two apps. This app DOES NOT send/download anything over the internet, with the exception of dictionaries, and only then at the user's direct request.

Additionally, the following enhancements have been made:
    • Long pressing the space bar sends a tab key. This can be disabled in the settings, if you'd prefer to have space-long-press be an input method switcher.
    • Added option to automatically switch to "PC Layout" when in landscape mode.
    • Renaming project to "Technical Keyboard".

Updated version is here:
    http://android.nextapp.com/keyboard/r97/TechnicalKeyboard_r97.apk

Will roll out to play store after additional testing.
    @tliebeck just going to add my voice to the chorus, this has gone on long enough,please either unlock the beta for 6 months or make a donate version,I am happy to payfor the keyboard, as these expiry's are tedious to say the least