• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question Keyboard locking up

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Clear the system cache.

System instability and lagging are a bad signs... the only warnings you may get before a crash.
Make sure your data is backed up.
Find the root cause, suspect malware as a possibility as well.
If you did an OS upgrade a factory reset is needed.

SirDigitalKnight

Jul 12, 2012
Jardin
Amazon Fire
LG G5
Thank you for the reply.
I just received the phone yesterday and went through setup. I did check for updates and there was an update available so I ran it which brought the phone up to the latest June security patch. This morning after reading your message I did a factory reset to see if that would help but the keyboard still hangs. It's like it just can't keep up with typing or something? Everything else seems to work perfectly fine it's just typing on the keyboard that seems to hang?

"System instability and lagging are a bad signs"

Do you mean to say that it's possibly defective?

I have the 8GB / 256GB model.

If I switch between Google keyboard and Samsung Keyboard it will work ok for a little bit but them it starts hanging again. Very strange behavior.

Sure would suck to have to send it back 😔

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
I don't know... my first inclination be to return it.
Check for updates including the Samsung Galaxy store and Playstore. Make sure it's not a 3rd party app causing it.

My S4+ do that crap sometimes and I think was internet connection related.
The native keyboard is one of the best, it's the only one I use.

SirDigitalKnight

Jul 12, 2012
Jardin
Amazon Fire
LG G5
Yeah, I would think that the native Samsung keyboard app would work flawlessly but for some reason it hangs much more than the G-Keyboard.
Like I said I did a factory reset it and only loaded a new google account so I could test it out fresh and it is still doing it. It doesn't do it when I first open the phone but then after using it a bit the keyboard hanging issue starts to happen.
When I google the problem I only came across someone having the issue on a A51

the software update page says that it is up to date: Current version : A525FXXS2AUE2 / A525FOJM2AUE1 / A525XXS2AUE2

Security patch evel: June 1, 2021

Last edited:

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Crap... that sucks. It maybe a mobo issue or a corrupted flash. I say return it if you can.
Almost sounds like a memory leak... is the ram usage steadily climbing?

SirDigitalKnight

Jul 12, 2012
Jardin
Amazon Fire
LG G5
So I got back from a dentist appointment and had left the A52 at home and I go to test the Samsung and Google keyboards and now they are working perfectly fine, smooth as butter, and I can't make it hang/freeze anymore?!?!?!

New to Samsung, coming from my PH-1 with custom ROM.
Where would I check that ram usage?

Reactions: blackhawk

SirDigitalKnight

Jul 12, 2012
Jardin
Amazon Fire
LG G5
Interesting, I do have power management on, I will keep that in mind if it starts acting up again.
I now have developer options on and I checked Device care:
Screenshot_20210622-110641_Device care.jpg

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Try disabling it and see what happens.
You need to weed out misbehaving apps one by one on a case by case basis.
3rd party apps that demand to run at startup deserve special attention.

Some apps like Brave browser continue to run in the background even after you close them. I finally ended up firewall blocking it when not in use to stop this behavior... nothing else worked.
Firewall blocking apps that don't need internet access also helps to move things along.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
ok. Well it looks like power saving mode was already off. it must have reset to off when I did the factory reset. Under more battery settings there is a Adaptive battery setting which is on? Would this effect it?
Adaptive battery, kill it. That could induce this kind of behavior. Android manages its self well without it. Simply close out apps when done with them. This works well with most apps except for poorly coded ones like Brave🤣

Go to running apps in Developer options to view some of what's eating up the house.
Sometimes cache apps like Brave are still running in the background even though it's not shown as a current running service. Killing it off the cache list will however shut it down.
I found it's easier to just close Brave then firewall block it until needed again🥴

Hey, it could be worse... it could be an iphone🤣

SirDigitalKnight

Jul 12, 2012
Jardin
Amazon Fire
LG G5
Thanks for you help! I just killed Adaptive battery. I found "Running services" , Im guessing it is what you mention? I do see a lot there: KLMS Agent, Video call effects, Samsung Pass, SmartThings, Bixby Voice, etc..... Samsung Keyboard and One Ui Home seem to be using the most memory.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Yay👍
Screenshot_20210622-131756_Settings.jpg

Yeah a lot junk. I use Package Disabler and Karma Firewall as well as settings to knock it down.

Typically those apps use a lot of ram but not much battery or CPU cycles.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I got back from a dentist appointment and had left the A52 at home and I go to test the Samsung and Google keyboards and now they are working perfectly fine, smooth as butter, and I can't make it hang/freeze anymore?!?!?!

New to Samsung, coming from my PH-1 with custom ROM.
    Where would I check that ram usage?
    Yay!😎
    Power management can cause erratic device behavior, I never use it.
    Activate Developer options. Also you can see ram usage in Samsung Device Care.
    Thanks for you help! I just killed Adaptive battery. I found "Running services" , Im guessing it is what you mention? I do see a lot there: KLMS Agent, Video call effects, Samsung Pass, SmartThings, Bixby Voice, etc..... Samsung Keyboard and One Ui Home seem to be using the most memory.
    Holy cow thats a lot, I have very few running compared to yours! :eek:

Adaptive battery seems to have been slowing the phone down as everything now is much more snappy. (y)
    What I don't understand is why they have it enabled? Am I the only that noticed the typing hang issue? You would think they would disable it when it is factory new or factory reset:unsure:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the box of rabid gerbils we call Samsung🤣
    They get most of it right, sometimes.
    At least they give you options. Samsung is the most customizable stock Android on the planet.
    Take what you want and disregard the rest... you got options, lots of them.