KFinally found the answer to bad battery life on our beloved htc 10's/works with Oreo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

gianborrello

Dec 7, 2012
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
For me it's really strange :/ Maybe suddenly my battery get worse or something, but first I tried my own profile I get 5.5 hours SOT then I just charge my phone and it's only around 4 hours, so similar to stock.
Today my phone last for 1 day and 9 hours, but only 2 hours 22 minutes SOT :(

I can't see more battery drain with PNPremover2 vs stock HTC pnpmgr. I would say it's even better because you can try different profiles and they are not overwritten by HTC stock values. I thought that my phone doesn't want to go into Deep Sleep coz of pnpremover2, but I had same thing on stock yesterday, so... I guess I will try to flash pnpremover2 again and test more on my governor profile. It's really frustrating.

Also do you have like this: you lock your phone at X% battery, it's not draining at all and after 1 hour you check and it's still X%, but when you start using phone, it's dropping like 2-3% in 1 minute while normally you it should be 1% per 5 minutes with same use.
You know, what I mean? Like it's not going down equally. Sometimes you have 1% per 5 minutes, sometimes you play with phone for 10 minutes and you didn't drop even 1% battery and then it drops 1% and another 1% in like 1 minute.

It's the exact same behaviour as mine.
With the difference that my phone has a pityful maximus SOT of 2h20m and often less. :crying: Actually it never went over 4h, out of the box. Now it's 2 years old.
Only once I had 3h SOT in the last two months. And it's worsening quite quickly.
Anyway I discovered that one of the biggest drainers in my case is the wi-fi. Also network connection is a very big drainer. I think it's also caused by my carrier (Three Italy) messing with cell towers after the fusion with another carrier (wind Italy).
Consequently I can throttle CPU as much as I want, but I can't get enough gain in battery time.

alderon666

Mar 11, 2015
It's the exact same behaviour as mine.
With the difference that my phone has a pityful maximus SOT of 2h20m and often less. :crying: Actually it never went over 4h, out of the box. Now it's 2 years old.
Only once I had 3h SOT in the last two months. And it's worsening quite quickly.
Anyway I discovered that one of the biggest drainers in my case is the wi-fi. Also network connection is a very big drainer. I think it's also caused by my carrier (Three Italy) messing with cell towers after the fusion with another carrier (wind Italy).
Consequently I can throttle CPU as much as I want, but I can't get enough gain in battery time.

Yes, low network signal is draining battery really a lot. I guess that's why I had only 2h 20m this this instead of at least 3-3.5h. I remember once I had 6h SOT, but that was on android 7 and long time ago :( Now I'm happy when it's 4h+, but my phone is holding only 20-24h. Before was like 1d and 12h. I think my battery is not as before for sure.
According to adb shell command: dumpsys batteryproperties
my battery is 2700 mAh now, so I guess I can't expect a lot from it...

Ninja X

May 30, 2015
Yes, low network signal is draining battery really a lot. I guess that's why I had only 2h 20m this this instead of at least 3-3.5h. I remember once I had 6h SOT, but that was on android 7 and long time ago :( Now I'm happy when it's 4h+, but my phone is holding only 20-24h. Before was like 1d and 12h. I think my battery is not as before for sure.
According to adb shell command: dumpsys batteryproperties
my battery is 2700 mAh now, so I guess I can't expect a lot from it...
Do you have elemental X kernel installed?

vincenzo697

Sep 1, 2010
kozani
HTC One X
HTC One (m7)
First of all I want to say it's not my work so tumbs up to developers. I just used what they provided and slightly tried to adjust.

Flash PnP_Removerv2.zip in twrp. Then in file /system/build.prop delete line ro.vendor.extension_library=libqti-perfd-client.so (do backup of system first or I guess you can dirty flash leedroid later if something is wrong).

Remove .txt from goveprof_mine file. Copy govprof_mine file to (internal storage)/ElementalX/gov_profiles/. In EX Kernel Manager (you have to install it) go to CPU -->governor options --> Load choose govprof_mine profile. Values should change. Also in CPU I have those settings:

Minimum performance level: 0
Touchboost: OFF
wq_power_saving: ON (active)
msm_thermal: OFF
core_control: ON (active)
vdd_restriction: OFF

My profile is based on wingoku_battery_saving4.1.txt profile. You could try it too (just remove .txt and paste it to (internal storage)/ElementalX/gov_profiles/).

Good luck. Let me know, how it works for you.

For me, it works and it works really great. I also have installed naptime and amplify. Naptime i don't use aggressive doze but the settings of Arstoien. My phone goes in deep sleep easy and stays that way!!

vincenzo697

Sep 1, 2010
kozani
HTC One X
HTC One (m7)
It works OK for me. Don't forget to Thank Arstoien!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180517-120633.jpg
    Screenshot_20180517-120633.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 214

alderon666

Mar 11, 2015
For me, it works and it works really great. I also have installed naptime and amplify. Naptime i don't use aggressive doze but the settings of Arstoien. My phone goes in deep sleep easy and stays that way!!

If you could share your battery life and SOT that would be great.

Guys, is it possible that we could have less than 1% per hour idle drain?
I have a bit less than 1%, but I still lost like 5-7% during night. Is it possible to achieve better result?

Regards.
Alderon666

vincenzo697

Sep 1, 2010
kozani
HTC One X
HTC One (m7)
If you could share your battery life and SOT that would be great.

Guys, is it possible that we could have less than 1% per hour idle drain?
I have a bit less than 1%, but I still lost like 5-7% during night. Is it possible to achieve better result?

Regards.
Alderon666

I will tomorrow as I started from scratch ( flashed ruu). I was wondering is it normal when the phone is pluged to charger it will not go to deep sleep?

My setup. Leedroid, elementalx kernel, naptime with Arstoien settings, amplify, magisksu with doze module and Alderon666 profile and settings on elementalx app.

alderon666

Mar 11, 2015
If anyone could look at those screenshots and tell me, what to think?

Doze looks ok (only once it stopped for short time), but phone is active every second. Then for like 1 hour from 3:00 to 4:00 phone was active 100% of the time and after that 0 activity. I really have no idea, why it's like that. Why can't be just 0 activity?

Android 8 suppose to be better in battery saving, specially during idle time, but I have like 1%-1.2% per hour! So my phone would last for less than 4 days, while my old HTC M7, which runs android 5 (Viper ROM) can lay down for 4-5 days sometimes and showing 0.6% battery use per hour iddle time! Battery in old HTC is definitely worse than in HTC 10, but there is no hundred thousands wakeups, specially from kernel or system. Just look at screenshots from my HTC 10 :(

Regards.
Alderon666

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180528-083347.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-083347.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 136
  • Screenshot_20180528-083356.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-083356.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20180528-083408.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-083408.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20180528-083419.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-083419.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20180528-083446.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-083446.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20180528-084607.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-084607.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Screenshot_20180528-084626.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-084626.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20180528-084634.jpg
    Screenshot_20180528-084634.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Save much reading and go to page 61. Answers to bad battery on the HTC 10 are worked out there. It's simplifies everything. Many posts here are works in progress kind of back and forth.
    Guides I used for amplify are at the bottom of page 13.
    (Remember to thank me in the op if anything here helped.)

After numerous hours of research and testing . Just wanted to reveal what I found. This is made for the OP-3 which is also a snapdragon 820 chipset device.
    Ive been using on my Verizon HTC 10 with zero issues so far/ Lee-droid oreo rom/Elemental X -3.02 kernel. Much copy and pasting going on, just wanted to share my find.I take no credit for any of this : other than being willing to test on my device. After flashing the final version of (AKT.V1.6/FinalZIP )through twrp/ located on next page I ticked for the Op3 OR SNAPDRAGON 820 DEVICE from a terminul emilator, then I choose "Project Zhana battery" . I used rom toolbox pro's terminal emulator. Choose whatever profile you desire but the one I picked works fine/zero lag. Our other options (as of now) are soilwork scripts made for the HTC 10 or the helix engine now that pnpmgr has been disabled.
    . First link is a huge thread on profiles from AKT. Go find which ever works best for your situation.
    ( I'm not telling you to flash anything. I'm showing you possible routes that have been tested by me. If you do not like results simply Ruu back to stock or dirty flash rom being used to get rid of it all.)
    I'm about to tell you how to get buttery smooth, lag-free performance with insanely good battery life, using an old school governor featured in practically every kernel... This tweak is applicable to every phone with any ROM or kernel--stock or custom--that provides the Interactive Governor.
    Yeah, yeah... everyone promises good battery with great performance, but who actually delivers? Maybe it isn't as smooth as you want, or maybe it requires something your kernel or ROM don't support. Or maybe the battery life promises just aren't what you expected. There's always some awful compromise. Not here!
    This isn't a guide to get 36 hour battery life... provided you never use your phone. That's deep sleep optimization, which is lovely and all, but what good is the phone if you can never use it?! And with the new Marshmallow Doze feature, this strategy is becoming a thing of the past. What I'm talking about is 7-14 hour screen on, actual hands-on usage times! Without compromising anything, you can get 7-8 hour screen on usage with regular, no-compromise usage habits: daytime visible screen brightness, both radios on, sync on, network location on, all the regular usage features, the whole kit and kaboodle... all smooth as a baby's butt and snappy as a Slim Jim! (Up to 14+ hours if you can stand minimum brightness and WiFi-only with a custom ROM and other stuff turned off! And this is with stock voltages and full frequency range--you'll likely get even more if you choose to optimize those as well!)

However, it should be noted that this does not apply to gaming, heavy camera use, etc. Anything that is an automatic battery killer in and of itself. There's nothing that can be done about anything that forces the phone to utilize its maximum resources all the time. But you should know that by now. Further, this guide is about optimizing the CPU as much as possible. It does not cover things like eliminating wakelocks so your phone sleeps well, removing unnecessary and battery draining stock apps, keeping your screen brightness down*, and all that stuff that's been covered in other posts ad infinitum. Those optimizations are up to you.

If you really want to know the principles of this tweaks, please go to this thread since there everything is really well explained and I know you guys just want to apply the tweak and forget about everything behind it, so just keep scrolling!
    Voltages and Frequencies:
    So recently I have been investigating about the Voltages of our device (since that is a really useful information to know) before that we only have the Nominal frequencies (If you don't know what I am talking about go ahead and read @soniCron thread because I won't explain it) we could develop some tweaks with that, but we were pretty much making blind shots, guessing and hoping that all will be right. Well, now that we have all this information we can optimize our tweaks even more so expect new updates and rework for the current tweaks and of course new ones.

What About Touchboost?
    Since I've noticed that a lot of people was asking about Touchboost, I decided to add this little explanation from @soniCron

" Touchboost is a nifty feature in a lot of kernels (including stock on Nexus 5X) that jumps up the frequency so that you experience minimal lag. However, with all the above settings, touchboost is usually detrimental to the efficiency of the device!
    We generally want to keep the CPU on the lowest possible frequency as much as possible, and touchboost interferes with that. Further, because we've set up the maximal and minimal efficient clock rates, as well as burst processing from the 2nd CPU core, we don't need touchboost!
    If your kernel allows you to shut it off, try to do so and see if the responsiveness of your device is acceptable. On the OP3 (and pretty much all the devices), touchboost adds no perceptual performance gain and only hurts efficiency and battery life. If your kernel doesn't allow you to turn off touchboost, try another one.
    Your battery life will thank you! "

With all that been said, you shouldn't confuse Touchboost with CPU Boost and more specifically Input boost. Both are used to boost the clock speed of our device whenever we touch the touchscreen, so we don't suffer any lags.
    The difference is that Input boost can be configured and Touchboost cannot, making it a really inefficient.
    MY DEVICE LAGS!!! WHY?!?!
    First of all, it's a "normal" thing, as I have stated before, all these tweaks have been done for fit my usage or certain usage which is most likely not the same as yours. Because this, when the are put on a certain scenario the might stutter or lag just a bit (If you are experimenting huge lags, you have done something wrong)
    And yes, this can be fixed. We have a couple of ways of fixing it:
    First of all, Check If the tweaks have been applied correctly
    Our first one is modifying the Input boost (not touchboost) most of our tweaks have an already established Input boost clock speeds and time, you can incise does too a bit. For example, we have 960(Mhz) for all the CPU at 40ms you could bump it up to ~1036(Mhz) and 42ms, don't modify too much this values since it will potentially increase your battery drain.
    Our second tool for fixing lags is min_sample_time , my recommendation is to increase the value by 5000 each time till you no longer suffer any stutter or lag.
    Try another tweak, for example;
    If you are using Project X.A.N.A Battery, try using Balanced option...
    Still having lag?
    Get rid of unnecessary (background-)apps
    Try a different IO-Scheduler
    Try another profile

My phone still uses too much battery
    First of all, Check If the tweaks have been applied correctly
    Make sure that you have disabled touchboost.
    Set brightness to a lower level.
    Use a dark / black theme
    Don't play games all day
    Try other tweak, for example;
    If you are using Project Zhana Balanced, try using Battery option...

How to install:
    A flashable zip to be flashed via recovery, which installs scripts of the latest iterations of most profiles (some legacy profiles had to be eliminated for more convenience) and a master script that takes control of all the installed scripts and applies your desired profile at will as soon as you recall it via Terminal Emulator app and get guided by the on-screen instructions.
    So to wrap it up:
    1- Download the latest AKT_Profile_vX.x.zip file
    2- Reboot into TWRP recovery and flash the .zip file
    3- After you boot up the phone, leave it to settle for a minute
    4- Open up your favorite Terminal Emulator app
    5- Grant it superuser permissions by typing in "su" without the quotes
    6- After superuser permissions are granted, type in "AKT" without the quotes (yes capitalized)
    Download link for AKT
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=70352820&postcount=2146

Xposed with magic information and downloads.
    This is where the rubber meets the road. Amplify and greenify for Oreo!!!

https://xdaforums.com/xposed/unofficial-systemless-xposed-t3388268

(Save yourself some time and jump to page 61 Finally found the answers there. Long live the HTC 10. My device is finally a beast.)
    I truly can't believe 30 thousand people have looked over this thread. Pretty cool it has only been here since May 3rd/2018. I wanted to simplify this for people complaining that the thread is back and forth. Here is what I've done to gain exceptional battery on the 2+ year old HTC 10. By starting this thread I have found many ways I thought to work and through my trial and error amongst others. Have found the best way. Flash Rom of choice. Next order of business is to find a root browser. I use rom toolbox pro I've had the pro license forever and it works great. Find system/vendor/etc. Delete perf folder entirely. Then scroll down and delete pnp.xml. Almost there on down same place is powerhint.xml. Delete all 3 . Now the HTC powermanager and caf boost framework is all gone. So in essence you need something else instead. Otherwise cpu frequencies will spike and overheat. I choose to flash AKT next. It's in the op. You can also install kernel governors. My good buddy Alderon666 has a very nice one he has put much effort into. He's been here since the beginning ,since we started this crazy journey to finding the best route for the 10.You can easily apply through EXKM. Or the helix engine is a great choice as well. Nothing else really has to be done after those 3 files are deleted. In my experience Android 8 is pretty optimized. No need in crazy extensive wakelock hunting. No amplify/xposed framework needed.I'm currently using Lee-Droid/ cleanslate kernel /and advance kernel tweaks (AKT). This is my route: choose whatever you like. I'm currently getting 25 to 40 hours off charger and up to 7 hrs on screen. Compared to stock results which are completely different. Maybe 3 hours on screen and 12-14 hours off charger. So almost 50% better. I hope this simplifies it for many as I have a new baby girl and all this effort seems kinda null and void compared to her. Rock on HTC 10 owners. Keep it going. If you don't like your device after files are deleted simply restore your backup or dirty flash whatever rom your on.
    Go into settings /apps/show system apps. Click do not run in background on Google Play services.
    (Link to kernel governors.)

https://xdaforums.com/htc-10/development/profile-htc-10-oreo-ex-kernel-manager-t3809535/page17
    Ok, time to add my experience with battery and Oreo ( LeeDrOiD 10 V5.2.1 ROM).

I heard about battery problems in Oreo, but after I installed Leedroid it was similar to stock nougat for me. But the problem appeared after I updated leedroid from 5.1 to 5.2 (5.2.1).
    My SOT down from ~4-4.5 hours to 2-3 hours. Sometimes my phone didn't go to Deep Sleep and I had to restart, so it will Deep Sleep again. I was trying to find any solution and this is what I tried:

1. Naptime program - phone has no problem with Doze (deep sleep) anymore. Question is if Naptime is draining battery, bo seem not and having phone in Deep Sleep formore than 50% of time seems good deal.
    2. Magisk Module: Enable Doze for GMS Magisk Module - to be honest no idea, if it works and gives extra time in Doze, but it suppose to put google services in Doze and forbid them to wake up phone, so it's good for me and I didn't see any problems since I'm using this module.
    3. AKT Advanced Kernel Tweaks - I used apk version. When I changed profile in AKT and look in EX Kernel Manager in CPU government options digits are changing, so seems like it's working. Also phone was more or less responsive depends on the profile (time of opening YouTube, choppy 4k clip recorded with phone etc.) I used X.A.N.A. battery and balanced, Zhana Battery and Balanced and profile provided in EX Kernel Manager - HawkPepper(820). I tried them on Clean Slate 3.7.10 kernel and elementalX 3.03 (elemental can turn off Touchboost).
    Then I tried pnp.xml file provided here to get rid off htc pnpmgr engine. It worked, but I had more problems than profit.

Take a look:

TEST 1:

Kernel: cleansl/elemntX
    CPU government profile: X.A.N.A. battery and balanced, Zhana Battery and Balanced
    htc pnpmgr: ON
    RESULT: phone was bearable when it comes to lag and responsivness (4k video was laggy though) battery: around 3 hours SOT so nothing special for me :(

TEST 2:

Kernel: cleansl/elemntX
    CPU government profile: HawkPepper(820)
    htc pnpmgr: ON
    RESULT: phone wasn't lag at all, 4k video also smooth, battery: around 3 hours, maybe a bit more so I would say better than all those "super duper" battery friendly profiles as ZHANA

TEST 3:

Kernel: elemntX
    CPU government profile: X.A.N.A. battery and balanced, Zhana Battery and Balanced
    htc pnpmgr: OFF
    RESULT: phone seems less laggy (4k video also smooth) than with pnpmgr ON, but never go to deep sleep and EX Kernel Manager shows that CPU was used more heavily and higher frequencies were used more often = battery drain really fast

The problem with htc pnpmgr ON was also that when I used my phone for some tasks, profile back to stock HTC (I guess pnpmgr kicked in and changed digits).

Now FINALLY I did this:

I restore original pnp.mxl, I left Naptime and magisk module I mentioned and I changed profile in EX Kernel Manager to HTC-stock with Touchboost Off:

Battery: SOT - 4.5 hours, 21 hours working time (WiFi on - 18-19 hours the rest Mobile Internet), 8 minutes of phone conection, all the time on LTE, 1.5-2 hours of youtube, screen brightness 50% auto (it was 100% brightness on the sun for some time).

Any CONCLUSION anyone? :)

PS.: Sorry for long post.
    Fantastic new news. Thanks to ZeroInfiniti lead developer of helix engine. Get some battery HTC 10 users. Go by helix engines thread and give him a big thumbs up or donate. This is BIG for us. Completely disables HTC's pnp-mgr without errors.
    AKT or helix engine work perfectly now. Lots of tweaks we can use now.
    Remember to stop by OP and thank me. This is the best news I've had concerning my device since Verizon finally dropped Oreo. Working great.. 50 min on screen and still at 90% battery. Whoop,whoop
    I wait for your results )
    Findings as are of this. I clean installed Lee-droid to reinstall files that were deleted by pnp remover. They were causing extremely bad battery drain. I started back to the initial way I started this thread with 4-6 hours on screen time. Clean install of Lee-Droid/ Elemental X sense 3.03 kernel/ AKT installed through terminal emulator/ running zero errors on logcat/matlog/ (Project Zhana battery)I'll refer back to initially not understanding how AKT works with HTC's pnp.mgr installed but I'm telling you 100% it is. And tweaks are sticking. Changing much and very fast. Sorry for all the discrepancies in what to do. You can also run soilwork's SCRIPt. That other than leaving everything alone are our options as of now. Android 8.0 /Oreo is still new. Meaning development is still new. Will report back with results in a few days. All this has been taking its toll on me. With working full time and new baby coming in30 days.Geesh. Links for soilwork is in Op. Removing other things as well in Op as I do not wanna feel responsible for someone bricking their device from just flashing whatever without researching, as of my thread. Op has been updated.