Kill the kill switch - "ST - yy"

Dashwood Foxe

Dec 23, 2014
Strange, My old tablet is still working, days after the first killswitch incident.. I'm on stock firmware (3.1) that's been rooted, custom recovery and kernel. I'm not sure why my old tablet hasn't died yet, it's been a few days since I activated my new replacement (which of course I have reboxed after making sure everything was functioning until such a time warrants me to use my replacement). It could be the fact I factory flashed kitkat prior to activating my replacement and pushed the full OTA through TWRP... Could that be something keeping my old tablet alive?

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
Strange, My old tablet is still working, days after the first killswitch incident.. I'm on stock firmware (3.1) that's been rooted, custom recovery and kernel. I'm not sure why my old tablet hasn't died yet, it's been a few days since I activated my new replacement (which of course I have reboxed after making sure everything was functioning until such a time warrants me to use my replacement). It could be the fact I factory flashed kitkat prior to activating my replacement and pushed the full OTA through TWRP... Could that be something keeping my old tablet alive?
As mentioned in the OP, the urgent OTA doesn't get sent out immediately (I have 2 serial numbers from people who have had their new tablets activated for a few days, but who don't have the urgent OTA waiting for them yet)

Reactions: dexpid

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
Good work, I'm glad you could figure it out. For the most part it was doing about what I expected that they would try. I opened up the TegraOTA.apk a few days ago but I didn't get anywhere with it. Good find for newer/non-defective tablets too.

tecnoworld

Jul 17, 2011
Thanks! I thought it would delete just the apk or the inner folder.

Thanks again for your time and efforts.

P.s. a friend asks if with a non stock rom like blisspop he is safe.

Keithn

Feb 24, 2011
As mentioned in the OP, the urgent OTA doesn't get sent out immediately (I have 2 serial numbers from people who have had their new tablets activated for a few days, but who don't have the urgent OTA waiting for them yet)
Do you know if the older updater has the capability of pushing "urgent" updates as well? I'd just remove it either way to be sure, but it could explain if the risk is still there for people on older versions.
Also could you tell me what you used to extract the blobs? Thank you.

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
Do you know if the older updater has the capability of pushing "urgent" updates as well? I'd just remove it either way to be sure, but it could explain if the risk is still there for people on older versions.
Also could you tell me what you used to extract the blobs? Thank you.
It does not, but I wouldn't trust it anyway. For all we know, they might also be pushing this update disguised as a normal Android OTA (they can't install it automatically on older versions, but they can trick you into thinking it's a normal update). For unpacking the blob, I used blobunpack from here: https://github.com/AndroidRoot/BlobTools

Last edited:
Reactions: dexpid and Keithn

Shorty88jr

Jun 6, 2015
when I flashed this on my tablet I assumed I couldn't get OTA updates anymore correct. Will urgent or non urgent updates possibly be able to create the folder again? If the folder is created again we should run the zip again correct? I really appreciate all the work you have done on this. I have flashed this on my new tablet but not my old one because my old one has bliss pop. I did flash it on my new one because of the security problems.

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
when I flashed this on my tablet I assumed I couldn't get OTA updates anymore correct. Will urgent or non urgent updates possibly be able to create the folder again? If the folder is created again we should run the zip again correct? I really appreciate all the work you have done on this. I have flashed this on my new tablet but not my old one because my old one has bliss pop. I did flash it on my new one because of the security problems.
You won't be getting any OTAs at all anymore, and TegraOTA won't reappear unless you flash the recovery image, or an OTA, or similar. You'll also have to flash full OTAs from now on if you want to update to newer versions released by Nvidia (and remove TegraOTA again afterwards, although things might change until then, so probably best to wait for someone here to take apart the OTA first).

Reactions: dexpid

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
Is there a way to flash the file on a stock unrooted tablet

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk
Nope. You need either root so that you can remove it manually through a file manager (somewhat risky if it's connected to the internet), or a custom recovery so that you can use the provided ZIP.

Reactions: sinichi21

Shorty88jr

Jun 6, 2015
You won't be getting any OTAs at all anymore, and TegraOTA won't reappear unless you flash the recovery image, or an OTA, or similar. You'll also have to flash full OTAs from now on if you want to update to newer versions released by Nvidia (and remove TegraOTA again afterwards, although things might change until then, so probably best to wait for someone here to take apart the OTA first).
Ok I only did it on my new tablet for security reasons so I should be ok to flash new OTA files right away since I shouldn't have to worry about the kill switch for that one correct?

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
Ok I only did it on my new tablet for security reasons so I should be ok to flash new OTA files right away since I shouldn't have to worry about the kill switch for that one correct?
Yes, but the OTA will reinstall TegraOTA, so you'll probably want to run my ZIP again afterwards

Dashwood Foxe

Dec 23, 2014
For those who are bricked, and since the APX drivers are not available.. would running Kali Linux distro or Wheelie help at all? perhaps going dirty with GRUB? save any chance of reviving a dead tablet?

sinichi21

Oct 14, 2010
Los Angeles
Nope. You need either root so that you can remove it manually through a file manager (somewhat risky if it's connected to the internet), or a custom recovery so that you can use the provided ZIP.
So I just need to delete the file right? I do not need to flash any custom recovery just the root the device right? If I may ask what is the path that I need to delete? thank you very much for this finding

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone