Kill the kill switch - "ST - yy"

xabat

Apr 6, 2014
Just install twrp and then flash the zip. it much easier.

Jeśli masz jeszcze jakieś pytania to pytaj. Postaram się pomóc.
Wake up thread:

I have nVidia Shield LTE 32GB - it's gonna be in progress of bricking pretty soon.

I have a problem when flashing the no-more-ota zip.
I'm using the PowerShell instead of cmd (couldn't overrun Windows in terms of turning off PowerShell).

After using command "adb reboot bootloader" it's shown that the device is unlocked. All debugging options are unlocked on the device, as well.
I can choose from 5 options:
1. Continue - cold linux boot - device normally booting
2. Fastboot Protocol - rebooting the same screen
3. Recovery Mode - doesn't work, shows the android sign with "no command" written on it.
4. Reboot - normal booting
5. Poweroff - turning off the device

After that I'm using the command "fastboot flash recovery MY FILE NAME.img" PowerShell shows:
"< waiting for device >"

the device is still the same, nothing is happening.
Whichever option I choose, doesn't work for the PowerShell commands.

What is it about?

Sorry if this question came out before but I'm a n00b in this and just trying to rescue my Shield from being bricked.

Help?
Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: IMysliwiec

dvalmansa

Apr 2, 2017
Just install twrp and then flash the zip. it much easier.

Jeśli masz jeszcze jakieś pytania to pytaj. Postaram się pomóc.

Wake up thread:

I have nVidia Shield LTE 32GB - it's gonna be in progress of bricking pretty soon.

I have a problem when flashing the no-more-ota zip.

I'm using the PowerShell instead of cmd (couldn't overrun Windows in terms of turning off PowerShell).

After using command "adb reboot bootloader" it's shown that the device is unlocked. All debugging options are unlocked on the device, as well.

I can choose from 5 options:

1. Continue - cold linux boot - device normally booting

2. Fastboot Protocol - rebooting the same screen

3. Recovery Mode - doesn't work, shows the android sign with "no command" written on it.

4. Reboot - normal booting

5. Poweroff - turning off the device

After that I'm using the command "fastboot flash recovery MY FILE NAME.img" PowerShell shows:

"< waiting for device >"

the device is still the same, nothing is happening.

Whichever option I choose, doesn't work for the PowerShell commands.

What is it about?

Sorry if this question came out before but I'm a n00b in this and just trying to rescue my Shield from being bricked.

Help?

Your shield is not blocked. As you described, once the original firmware was loaded, according to nvidia instructions, without connecting to the internet !! You put the computer in debug usb mode, in developer options. After installing the latest version TWRP, you will see how the recovery mode works.

Last edited:
Reactions: ikszero

thriceless

Nov 1, 2013
How goes it guys, first off thanks to all the help in this thread from all the members here! Now I'm still able get into recovery on my original shield 16gb wifi and have been able to flash the nomoreota.zip and lineageOS successfully, however my tablet just hangs on the shield loading screen when I try and load the system. I'm wondering if replacing the battery (since it's still the original Y0) would resolve the issue maybe? Thanks!

kanekanekane

Jun 3, 2014
A long while ago I carried out the kill switch fix, but it was so long ago I have forgotten the details. I am sure I used this thread as a guide.

All is well with the tablet, but I have a question.

Can I update to a custom Ron with having to worry about the kill switch?

Can someone please refer me to a guidalsobwhats a decent room. I am not to interested in gaming just good tablet features and good performance.

Thanks in advance.

P00r

Apr 11, 2010
Montreal
A long while ago I carried out the kill switch fix, but it was so long ago I have forgotten the details. I am sure I used this thread as a guide.

All is well with the tablet, but I have a question.

Can I update to a custom Ron with having to worry about the kill switch?

Can someone please refer me to a guidalsobwhats a decent room. I am not to interested in gaming just good tablet features and good performance.

Thanks in advance.
yes custom rom normaly do not have the kill swith installed but better be safe than sorry do that the first post tell you to do

If you're on stock, delete TegraOTA (/system/app/TegraOTA or /system/priv-app/TegraOTA if you're on 5.0 or newer, or /system/app/TegraOTA.apk if you're still on 4.4) before booting into Android (the attached ZIP file does this for you, but please check with the file manager in recovery before rebooting and let me know if it didn't work), then reboot

Note: you also will need to delete TegraOTA again if you ever install an OTA from Nvidia or a recovery image
If you're not on stock, you're probably safe

Reactions: ikszero

kanekanekane

Jun 3, 2014
yes custom rom normaly do not have the kill swith installed but better be safe than sorry do that the first post tell you to do

If you're on stock, delete TegraOTA (/system/app/TegraOTA or /system/priv-app/TegraOTA if you're on 5.0 or newer, or /system/app/TegraOTA.apk if you're still on 4.4) before booting into Android (the attached ZIP file does this for you, but please check with the file manager in recovery before rebooting and let me know if it didn't work), then reboot

Note: you also will need to delete TegraOTA again if you ever install an OTA from Nvidia or a recovery image
If you're not on stock, you're probably safe
Do I run the nomoreota.zip via recovery mode.

I tried this and saw an arrow related to no E mapping.

Titaen

May 4, 2018
Checks for updates with no TegraOTA folder; am I safe?

@Bogdacutu You could possibly answer this.

I am on 5.4, flashed the nomoreOTA.zip in TWRP (latest), also sideloaded it through TWRP because under the about phone the "check for updates" seemed to be actually *checking*
I have not received kill code, but I never went through the recall process yet. Only now doing it for various reasons.

The folders within the system folder that you mention, and everyone else has mentioned, are not existent on the partition. TegraOTA does not exist under /app or /priv-app -

Is it possible it is located in a different folder in 5.4? OR is it just a remnant of the system that is not really functioning?

Each time I ran nomoreOTA it said it was deleted and successful and I cleared cache and dalvnik as well.

Please advise if you think I am safe at this point?

Thanks!!!

p3dboard

Oct 20, 2013
@Bogdacutu You could possibly answer this.

I am on 5.4, flashed the nomoreOTA.zip in TWRP (latest), also sideloaded it through TWRP because under the about phone the "check for updates" seemed to be actually *checking*
I have not received kill code, but I never went through the recall process yet. Only now doing it for various reasons.

The folders within the system folder that you mention, and everyone else has mentioned, are not existent on the partition. TegraOTA does not exist under /app or /priv-app -

Is it possible it is located in a different folder in 5.4? OR is it just a remnant of the system that is not really functioning?

Each time I ran nomoreOTA it said it was deleted and successful and I cleared cache and dalvnik as well.

Please advise if you think I am safe at this point?

Thanks!!!
If it's not in those locations you should be safe. This is an nvidia update check, if you have booted and connected to the internet, and it was still installed and your device was marked for disabling, then your device would have been disabled by now

Reactions: Titaen

Titaen

May 4, 2018
Double check on nomoreOTA in 5.4 on 32GB US LTE

If it's not in those locations you should be safe. This is an nvidia update check, if you have booted and connected to the internet, and it was still installed and your device was marked for disabling, then your device would have been disabled by now
@Bogdacutu I do want to say thank you for all your hard work on this project. I am needing to make sure they didn't move the folder or apk in the final 5.4 update, and that your patch was still effective in 5.4 (details why follow).

@p3dboard I really appreciate the reply. I didn't mention a few parts to this, to clarify.

The tablet is the 32GB LTE US version. I updated all the way to 5.4 because my tablet was not flagged, and there are no future releases. I received the OTAs then flashed latest TWRP 3.3.1.0 custom recovery.

First, I didn't complete the recall yet, for various reasons, so I don't have the new tablet, etc. I did submit the claim, so I have limited time to triple check the tablet is safe.
So, I do not think that the kill code is pushed to my S/N as of yet, and the S/N check page returns an error, so I can't check *safely*
So, if somehow the TegraOTA.apk folder and app exist elsewhere in 5.4, I could still get the kill code.

Second, I read 95% of thread, and 2-3 people previously noted that the "system update" option under tablet status disappeared once they had applied the nomoreOTA.zip file.
Under settings>about tablet> they stated that their first option was "SEnd feedback to NVIDIA" and the "system update" was gone.

That is not the case for me; what is more, when I enter that option (no kill code pushed yet), and click check for update, it outputs: "Your system is up to date" "Last successful check for update at [LOCAL TIME]" BUT if I disconnect from WIFI, and run the check, it outputs "Can't check for update"

Both the update screen and the "Check for update" link are blue.

This is why I am unsure as to whether or not the patch applied.

I will say that I realized later I needed to mount system in TWRP and then located those folders that way. With the system mounted, I sideloaded the nomoreOTA.zip file which returned an error that it could not find the file (which is good) with a successful message after that.

I don't recall where, but in another shield post, someone was mentioning data/data/com.nvidia???? folder and asking about that as another means to check, and it made me question if I missed something there.

The fact that the app folders in both locations are missing is good, but the ghost function of "check updates" when others stated they didn't have that anymore is what raises a red flag for me.
However, those who posted about not having that function anymore, I believe were NOT on 5.4, so that could be why?

If anyone on 5.4 with a successful nomoreOTA flash (with root file manager check to verify) could speak to whether or not they still have the same "system update">"check for update" features, and have confirmed they are safe without the TegraOTA folder, or .apk, that would definitely answer the question for me as to if the file is successfully deleted or not.

Note: I did also clear the dalvnik and cache through TWRP after sideloading nomoreOTA.zip and before booting to system.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :good:

Update: Relying on @topcat36 's post (thanks), Check updates screen is blue and not green. I checked every location I believe the TegraOTA files could possibly be, including data and cache, and it is not listed. I should be good. Thanks to everyone on this thread for your input.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=73608071&postcount=1751

Last edited:

TheKicKer69

Aug 12, 2011
Dubai
www.i-buzz.com
K bought 2 new batteries 1 for my shield tablet that's working and 1 for my dead shield (kill switch got to it). I can only charge it. I don't mind opening it and dissecting it if I can get it to work. Can we change the drive? SD card or wotever it is? My shield is on LOS and working damn well. Getting the other one to work would be great. Any help would b appreciated.
Cheers,
Roger