Killing apps too aggressively?

Search This thread

nookcoloruser

Jan 27, 2011
Kerry
The S6 is the most buggy phone I ever have owned. Battery have never lasted a whole day when using the phone and like others in this thread have noticed the OS is killing apps left right and centre. A few days ago I tried to go for a walk while listering to a pdcast using pocketcasts and 3 times during a 20 minute walk did pocket cast get killed. I was at the same time using google maps telling me where to go.

This makes the phone into a toy for me and the only reason I have not returned it is that it takes soooo pretty pictures. But I do use my main simm in my work iphone for the time being. And no this is not me trying to say iphone is a better phone, just that samsung have made a phone that is so unstable that it's laughable.
Yep. The software is laudible especially after all that hulabaloo at launch event as they touted as fastest ram ever & no lag and vastly unbloated version of touchwiz....

1) lag still crops up, especially in theming.
2) server errors when accessing theme store many times
3) fastest ram in a phone, yep it's so fast it can't wait to kill all my open apps.
4) it's still full of bloat under the hood. So much so it sits at 2.2-2.4gb ram used with nothing else open.

I too love the camera, but just not sure whether the best part of the phone I use maybe 5% of the time is worth putting up with the inconsistent battery life and frankly piss poor ram issue I suffer the 90-95% of the time.

ivaho

Jan 5, 2013
Admitting to it is only the 1st step. Getting a patch out there that turns the phone from a expensive toy to something I can use is the important part. Right now I cannot use the pone to do car navigation while playing podcasts/listening to music as it keeps killing background tasks in a way I have never seen any phone done before.

In its current form the phone is like playing Russian roulette. You never know what its going to kill next. Some times it kills essential system services causing the phone show a dialog box saying xxxx service has hung.. Sometimes the only way to recover from that is to force reboot the phone.

nookcoloruser

Jan 27, 2011
Kerry
I am assuming the issue you are all having is related to the issue in the link which Samsung admitted yesterday and said they will be releasing an update for?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2406763/galaxy-s6-and-s6-edge-suffer-from-ram-management-problem-samsung-admits

Ok this is where news media goes stupid.

1) The news about S6 ram issue came from 'news reporters' using this thread and my own in the S6 Edge thread as source about the ram issue. THIS THREAD & THE ONE IN S6 EDGE IS THE ACTUAL SOURCE. They are merely just 'elaborating' on what we have posted here ourselves.

2) The so called 'official' response SAMSUNG made was actually a generic response they reply to anyone asking anything technical on facebook or twitter.
It is by no means an official statement from the company on this issue.

3) cyclically, News media are now reporting on this generic response and are intimating that it's an official response directly to this issue and yet look at the feeds and sources and the correspondence/replies those social media sites have used for all matter of issues people ask and it is clear to see it is not. In the response the wording is suitably vague, it doesn't even mention S6 or Ram......

These then false 'official' reports are the same 'news' sources that actually are just churning out a story based on our threads here.

Its lazy journalism and we still do not have a proper statement or official line from Samsung. There is no point posting links to news articles because as I explain above they all emanate from this very thread if you trace the source line.

Last edited:

epidemija

Mar 24, 2013
Admitting to it is only the 1st step. Getting a patch out there that turns the phone from a expensive toy to something I can use is the important part. Right now I cannot use the pone to do car navigation while playing podcasts/listening to music as it keeps killing background tasks in a way I have never seen any phone done before.

In its current form the phone is like playing Russian roulette. You never know what its going to kill next. Some times it kills essential system services causing the phone show a dialog box saying xxxx service has hung.. Sometimes the only way to recover from that is to force reboot the phone.
Hahahahahahah.. you made my day

johanbiff

Apr 11, 2015
Ok this is where news media goes stupid.

2) The so called 'official' response SAMSUNG made was actually a generic response they reply to anyone asking anything technical on facebook or twitter.
It is by no means an official statement from the company on this issue.

^^ this is true! it was me who asked the question on the UK FB site and they have not said anything about ther are having this RAM problem..they just told me that "fixes are comming OTA"...but to what? media just overkills it all :(

somsang

Mar 27, 2015
Even I am having those RAM issues on SM-920I
I force stop some apps and disable facebook and messenger apps.
My RAM usage are like 92% all the time.
I uninstalled ram management apps and some task killers.

TheBigBentley

Jan 13, 2007
This issue is definitely ridiculous. Samsung should have stopped all the work they where doing on updates for their older devices and got the 5.1 update out to us first. We are the ones who just last month dropped $700+on a new phone that they touted as being this be all end all of phones and meanwhile my crappy LG G2 and S4 ran world's better.

Reactions: laureanop

flu13

Jun 18, 2010
This aggravates me, too. I recently grabbed Knights of the Old Republic (one of the greatest games ever) for my phone when it was on sale for $2.99. Sometimes, I'll be unsure what to do in the game, so I'll flip over to Chrome to look at a guide or something. Every time I flip back to Chrome, the page completely reloads. When I flip back to KOTOR, there's about a 30% chance that the game has exited and will relaunch to the title screen, even if it's only been a few seconds.

@Class

Oct 27, 2008
Yeah this is pretty nuts, my persistent notifications disappear after just a few hours with No Recent Apps displayed. What the hell is going on? The worst part is you're waiting months for fixes!!!

korom42

Dec 28, 2012
Hi all. Did samsung fixed this RAM issue in updates or still not .?

I will appreciate it if you put some screenshots of your Ram usage from Galaxy S6.
because I am goin to buy a Galaxy S6 but I dont want to buy a laggy 500$ phone . So I'm puzzled between the Galaxy S6 and the Lg G4 and Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy alpha.

and Thanks in advance

ShadowVlican

Feb 27, 2007
Toronto
i still have the problem on 5.1.1 (chrome is still getting shut down and has to reload all tabs)

i use chrome as an example because it's the easiest to notice...

tzmx

Apr 18, 2011
On 5.1.1. my problems has gotten worse. For example its now not only killing recent apps its also killing (going in deep slepp or something) gps signal (or app that uses it?), cause when i was out running, Endomondo kept loosing gps signal IF THE SCREEN was off (so if iam ''not using my phone''). I think its a new policy from Samsung ''to extend battery life'', but now its pain to use gps applications. Ill do more testing with screen always on when i have chance and see if then it doesn kill it/go to sleep.

Reactions: aegeuss

misiek_to_ja

Nov 16, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
I thought people exaggerated the memory issue on Samsung S6 devices. I owned the device for few months and did not notice any issues, maybe some refreshing of the websites in Chrome, but that's it. Then it turned out it was because I was not using it intensively. Just regular stuff like web surfing, email, texting, facebook, whatsapp etc. Then I was on vacation and it turned out I put too strict limits on my credit card, so I was not able to rent a car. I had to log in into my banking website and change the limits. For that I needed 3 apps running at the same time. KeePass to get username and password to my bank account, Chrome to change the limits and Text Message app to read the authorization code . No way, I was not able to do it. Once I switched from Chrome to Text Message app the Chrome got killed, refreshed the whole site resulting in log out from the banking website. I tried it several times, no luck. Then I took my wife's HTC One, viola, no issues. I was shocked. New flagship phone from Samsung and I was not able to do such simple operation. I was really thinking about getting rid of the phone and then I got the update few days ago. After applying it I have something like 800-850MB of free RAM after the restart of the device, previously it was something like 450MB. I repeated the same scenario I tried on vacation and it works. So it seems the issues are sorted out, but let's see how it behaves in longer run.

discodestroyer10

Jun 27, 2014
Bordon, UK
Bad luck this year. Already returned htc m9 (crappy display and camera). Now bought S6 and I'll sell that for sure. Joke not a flagship. 3yrs old m7 performs better. Ugh.

misiek_to_ja

Nov 16, 2007
Warsaw, Poland
Bad luck this year. Already returned htc m9 (crappy display and camera). Now bought S6 and I'll sell that for sure. Joke not a flagship. 3yrs old m7 performs better. Ugh.
It is exactly the point. My wife's HTC One M7 has more free RAM than my brand new flagship phone from Samsung. Now it is little better after the last update, but still after few days I have to reboot the phone as it slows down. HTC One M7 has the uptime of 30+ days and still works just like after the reboot. Shame on Samsung. Instead of focusing on few models and making them work flawlessly they issue several dozens of new phones every year and they all work like a crap. I think it was my first and last Samsung phone.

Last edited:

errorrrr

Nov 7, 2011
seriously... wtf... a new phone, and i can't even juggle between two apps... is there still no fix or acknowledgement from Samsung yet? And they are releasing the S6+...

Top Liked Posts