Kindle Fire HD 8 very laggy and slow

Search This thread

garythfla

Sep 30, 2013
I have the newest Fire HD 8 and it has been very slow and laggy lately. When I do anything the screen will go black for about 10 seconds before the app starts running. Same thing happens when I try to stream video or scroll through the home screen, etc.

I have google play store installed and also terrarium, and IPVanish. Other than that, I have taken off everything else. when I use the speedtest app, i get the same black screen and it takes forever to start running although when it does, i get a fast connection with the vpn on or off.

i have tried looking around these forums and a few other places but cannot find anything that really seems to answer the question. i wish I could root this tablet but that does not appear to be an option.

any advice/help would be appreciated, at this point I am thinking of doing a factory reset or just buying a better tablet. thanks for the help.

pipdev

Nov 23, 2013
This tablet performs decently (for its price tag) out of the box, but once you install the Google services it slows down terribly. I've got the same problem. I loved this tablet because its price mainly, but this lagging after installing Google Play is just unbearable.

pipdev

Nov 23, 2013
Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?

Awesome! It did work for me. Now it runs as smooth as this tablet can run. Thanks so much! I was looking for other cheap tablets but I now will stick to my Kindle Fire HD 8 for a bit longer. I think it's price can't still be beaten.

Last edited:

jester7677

Dec 19, 2017
Awesome! It did work for me. Now it runs as smooth as this tablet can run. Thanks so much! I was looking for other cheap tablets but I now will stick to my Kindle Fire HD 8 for a bit longer. I think it's price can't still be beaten.

In the past week I have noticed the same. I'll give this a shot as well. Thanks!

karelj

Aug 14, 2008
Brooklyn
Power off.
Hold the volume down and power buttons.
When the boot screen appears, release the power button.
Use the volume button to navigate to format cache.
Press the power button to select.
After formatting, reboot.

Thank you!
I usually see sluggishness around the 3rd day of being continuously on. Lets see how long this lasts.

Phonehell1

Dec 22, 2012
Detroit
Wipe cache partition?

Power off.

In system recovery, my HD 8's cache option is wipe cache partition. Should I do this?

Reactions: karelj

eyerxa

Jul 23, 2018
Potential Solution

So I bought the 7th gen Fire HD 8 and it had problems right out of the box. I sent it back, got a new one and had the same problems. I somehow had the idea that the problem was my SD card. I had a Fire 7 previously and just popped it in. Once I pulled it, it immediately worked fine. For some reason I can't format it with he Fire 8, it won't let me. But I'm sure if I can or get a new SD card, then it will probably work fine. Give it a shot.

I have the newest Fire HD 8 and it has been very slow and laggy lately. When I do anything the screen will go black for about 10 seconds before the app starts running. Same thing happens when I try to stream video or scroll through the home screen, etc.

I have google play store installed and also terrarium, and IPVanish. Other than that, I have taken off everything else. when I use the speedtest app, i get the same black screen and it takes forever to start running although when it does, i get a fast connection with the vpn on or off.

i have tried looking around these forums and a few other places but cannot find anything that really seems to answer the question. i wish I could root this tablet but that does not appear to be an option.

any advice/help would be appreciated, at this point I am thinking of doing a factory reset or just buying a better tablet. thanks for the help.

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
My Kindle Fire HD 8 is soooo Slow too...

Well, I loaded up my Fire HD too with Google Services et al and it lags terribly, tried deleting the cache as suggested but it only works for a little while (like less than a day), then it's back to so slow I want to throw it across the room! Any other ideas? It's the latest 2017 mod... I mean all I am trying to do is load up some information on the browser. I even tried Silk, no better. :(

I never tried it just vanilla out of the box - perhaps that what I should do - just go back to the original? I wanted something small and cheap to carry around that I could get email, and my calendar + contacts (but I need google services to do that because of a program I run to update my phone from desktop outlook and vice versa), and browse the web as necessary. Thanks.

astrodomine

Sep 27, 2008
why dont you remove google services and use third party store app like the apkpure to install apps not in amazon store. the slowness was a big reason I removed google. maybe give a try

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
removing google services

why dont you remove google services and use third party store app like the apkpure to install apps not in amazon store. the slowness was a big reason I removed google. maybe give a try

THanks, yes I've thought about this. I put so much time into getting the darn thing set up like a real computer :(. But even after jacking with MTUs on my router today I think I've finally given up and will start from scratch and forget about google play services and all those apps I love to use :)

Oh I will try apkpure - thanks for the heads up I will see if that gets me where I want to go. I didn't know about it...

I wish there was a magic bullet I just can't find it! Thanks!

Last edited:

richaardvark

Dec 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
THanks, yes I've thought about this. I put so much time into getting the darn thing set up like a real computer :(. But even after jacking with MTUs on my router today I think I've finally given up and will start from scratch and forget about google play services and all those apps I love to use :)

Oh I will try apkpure - thanks for the heads up I will see if that gets me where I want to go. I didn't know about it...

I wish there was a magic bullet I just can't find it! Thanks!

While just a tiny bit slower/more laggy than my rooted HD 10, I have three HD 8s with the Play store + many other applications (Tasker, Google Voice/Hangouts, various video editors, graphic design programs, VNC/remote desktop programs, + many more) and these little tablets work very well. I've even edited 4K video on one of them and had no crashes or issues.

Have you tried disabling some of the Amazon system bloatware as described in this post? That helps a lot. Though not a high-end device, these little tablets are actually pretty solid and should give you solid performance. I've even read some tear-down reviews where people who know a lot more about this sort of thing than I do were surprised to find certain build-features and hardware components usually reserved for higher-end devices built into this device and they were surprised because Amazon could have not included these entities and could have made even more money.

Maybe flash the latest stock firmware, remove Amazon bloatware, start from scratch. Happy to help if I can in any way.

Last edited:

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
Bloat.....

Richard, thank you. I will try that. I didn't know of that post so thanks for that. I will start over and see what happens!

While just a tiny bit slower/more laggy than my rooted HD 10, I have three HD 8s with the Play store + many other applications (Tasker, Google Voice/Hangouts, various video editors, graphic design programs, VNC/remote desktop programs, + many more) and these little tablets work very well. I've even edited 4K video on one of them and had no crashes or issues.

Have you tried disabling some of the Amazon system bloatware as described in this post? That helps a lot. Though not a high-end device, these little tablets are actually pretty solid and should give you solid performance. I've even read some tear-down reviews where people who know a lot more about this sort of thing that I do were surprised to find certain build-features and hardware components usually reserved for higher-end devices built into this device and they were surprised because Amazon could have not included those entities and could have made even more money.

Maybe flash the latest stock firmware, remove Amazon bloatware, start from scratch. Happy to help if I can in any way.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Power off.
    Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?
    Wipe cache partition?

Power off.

In system recovery, my HD 8's cache option is wipe cache partition. Should I do this?
    Curious, did you try it? How did it turn out?

Yes and no. I started over with a Factory reset system. I installed Google Services per the instructions sent to me (off this thread - https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603). Got a SANDISK SD card. Speed is good and everything is working, however, I can not get the Amazon bloatware to go away as discussed in here and pointed to other forums. I've asked for advice but nothing so far...
    How often do we need to do this?
    My tab is very slow after adding Google apps

I had to do it once a month or so, though IMHO the real problem is lack of RAM on the Fire.
    Having the Google apps running in the background alongside all of the Amazon apps that you can't uninstall uses a lot of RAM.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone