Kindle Fire HD 8 very laggy and slow

Search This thread

richaardvark

Dec 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
Richard, thank you. I will try that. I didn't know of that post so thanks for that. I will start over and see what happens!

Good luck! I remembered one last thing that might make a difference...

It seems the HD 8 (2017) is sensitive/picky when it comes to SD cards. I originally used this Samsung EVO model of SD card with my HD 8 and experienced constant performance lag and horrible battery drain. After reading more about this issue via this Reddit post, I switched to a SanDisk SD card and now my device is much happier. Just another thing I thought of but had forgotten about that might be helpful to you.

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
Yah know I saw a passing reference to that and I thought no way. Now that I see all the comments in the post I'm a believer. And now I'm upset with myself because I always get SANDISK, I don't remember why I got the the SAMSUNG EVO, I'm working on too many things at once, need to stick to one thing. Do you think it will matter if I get the 128gb SANDISK? I didn't think it would matter on the Samsung....:p

BTW when you mentioned to flash the stock firmware I found this: https://rootmygalaxy.net/restore-stock-firmware-on-amazon-fire-hd-8/
Under 'How To Restore Stock Firmware On Amazon Fire HD 8'
Does this seem reasonable or do you have a site you recommend? While I do have a technical background it's been a long while since I messed with this stuff. I thought for a long time about rooting my phone then I decided I didn't want to bother (getting lazy). Thanks!

Good luck! I remembered one last thing that might make a difference...

It seems the HD 8 (2017) is sensitive/picky when it comes to SD cards. I originally used this Samsung EVO model of SD card with my HD 8 and experienced constant performance lag and horrible battery drain. After reading more about this issue via this Reddit post, I switched to a SanDisk SD card and now my device is much happier. Just another thing I thought of but had forgotten about that might be helpful to you.

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
Fixing My geriatric Fire HD

OK, thanks for that information on the amazon link for firmware. I did yank the Samsung SD card, cleared out the cache etc. and a couple of the sites were loading normally and a couple of others still acted like I was on dial up. So, I'll start over, flash the firmware, get rid of the bloat, reset to factory, then load google services etc. I'm not going to put an SD card in there and see how it performs. Then I'll order a SANDISK.... Thank y'all so much for your help, I will let you know how it turns out.

You can download firmware directly from Amazon support at https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

Might be safer.

Sent from my Amazon KFDOWI using XDA Labs

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
Can a Static IP Address cause a problem with web site loading on Fire HD?

Not applicable any longer and I couldn't figure out how to delete this post!

Last edited:

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
Have you tried disabling some of the Amazon system bloatware as described in this post? That helps a lot.

Maybe flash the latest stock firmware, remove Amazon bloatware, start from scratch. Happy to help if I can in any way.

I started over with a Factory reset system and I went through the entire thread (of loading google services et al) and got everything to work. I went to 'PM HIDE' the APKs and I was getting 'new hidden state: true'. However, after I reboot the Fire HD, clear the cache all those icons are all still there! What could I be I doing wrong? Performance is good though.

I have a Non-Rooted device so PM disable and PM uninstall do not work.
I am running 5.6.2. Any ideas???
Thanks!!

DallasRedHead

Aug 24, 2018
Curious, did you try it? How did it turn out?

Yes and no. I started over with a Factory reset system. I installed Google Services per the instructions sent to me (off this thread - https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603). Got a SANDISK SD card. Speed is good and everything is working, however, I can not get the Amazon bloatware to go away as discussed in here and pointed to other forums. I've asked for advice but nothing so far...

Reactions: yelloguy

arooni

Aug 15, 2011
are there any problems with the evo card for the kindle fire 10? all i read were problems with the fire 8 tablet. thanks!

elvis802000

Dec 12, 2018
I'm trying to uninstall Google Services (I side-loaded it), but it's not giving me the option of uninstalling it - 'uninstalled' is greyed out...
Any ideas, please?

mbwf

Nov 25, 2015
Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
I got one of these, and soon returned it. May I suggest stamping on it until it folds in half, and then returning it for the piece of rubbish that it is?

Happy Christmas.

AmznUser444 Dev

Go to Settings -> Device Options -> About Fire tablet -> Serial number and tap several times to appear the Developer Options

Press the Back button to and you see the Developer Options appears under the About Fire tablet menu

Go to Developer Options -> Scroll down and you see, Show all ANRs and enable it.

Your device is laggy because the Amazon Apps are running in background.
Can you disable the bloatwares like Amazon apps.

Sapphirecat

Jun 3, 2019
I don't have the format cache option, it did come up with some option to do with the cache but when i selected it, it came up with the warning 'this can not be undone!' So i didn't want to choose it in case it did more damage

markschoenbaum

Sep 1, 2013
Seems to have helped

Tried this on Fire HD 2018. The recovery option is actually called "wipe cache partition". Also set animations/transitions to 0. Seems faster, no damage done. Thanks!!

Power off.
Hold the volume down and power buttons.
When the boot screen appears, release the power button.
Use the volume button to navigate to format cache.
Press the power button to select.
After formatting, reboot.

Top Liked Posts