KingRoot Malware / Adware root !!

Allow complete removal of KingRoot with another Root Manager

• Total voters
Search This thread

aIecxs

Feb 17, 2016
gitlab.com
install any file explorer, navigate to /system/app, delete the apk files (or folders), then reboot.
additionally (but not neccessary) you can delete the correlating folders in /data/data and the files in /data/dalvik-cache

Sirius_Balzier

Aug 12, 2016
Guyz,

On my backup phone, i was messing around and installed kingroot... a total malware.
Then, i formatted by phone and still kingroot is there. Tries deleting from kingroot settings but cant.
Plz inform how the hell shall i completely....

Install Link2sd; enter app, and there is some section for installed apps, find kingroot and select it, tap on 3 dot menu (right superior corner) and select "convert to user app", tap it and reboot. You can now delete app and no longer shows on menu.

Reactions: aIecxs

RootMyNote4Please

Jan 19, 2016
OnePlus 9 Pro
Is it still correct that once you gain root with KingRoot you can flash a custom ROM and get rid of all of it? I plan on flashing MODest ROM on my SM-N910V and I'm hoping that will eliminate it since KingRoot is basically the only method of obtaining root. Thanks.

craige

Jul 30, 2009
Install Link2sd; enter app, and there is some section for installed apps, find kingroot and select it, tap on 3 dot menu (right superior corner) and select "convert to user app", tap it and reboot. You can now delete app and no longer shows on menu.

Thanks , but after three dots -> i have option to uninstall OR convert to user app.
Under both i get the same error:

"Link2SD could not obtain root access.

Maybe as i formatted my phone, i am no longer rooted and hence the error.

Also, i tried disabling Kingroot from phones builtin "Applications manager" and yes it seems disappeared from my App list on phone, Is it safe to say its no longer working on my phone even in background ?

Sirius_Balzier

Aug 12, 2016
Thanks , but after three dots -> i have option to uninstall OR convert to user app.
Under both i get the same error:

"Link2SD could not obtain root access.

Maybe as i formatted my phone, i am no longer rooted and hence the error.

Also, i tried disabling Kingroot from phones builtin "Applications manager" and yes it seems disappeared from my App list on phone, Is it safe to say its no longer working on my phone even in background ?

Well, try to check root with a root checker; also, download an advanced task manager and check if kingroot doesn't appear anymore. If there are nothing (root, kingroot app and processes) you're done :highfive:

basem_ym

Jul 6, 2015
Tartus
Guyz,

On my backup phone, i was messing around and installed kingroot... a total malware.
Then, i formatted by phone and still kingroot is there. Tries deleting from kingroot settings but cant.
Plz inform how the hell shall i completely remove this sh*t?

Not an advanced user hence wont be able to understand complicated removal procedures.

PS: Using Samsung Note 3 Neo

Formating doesnt affect system apps (it only wipes thier data)
Flash your device by odin, its your best choice.
A clean flash is recommended.

craige

Jul 30, 2009
Well, try to check root with a root checker; also, download an advanced task manager and check if kingroot doesn't appear anymore. If there are nothing (root, kingroot app and processes) you're done :highfive:

What kind of advanced task manager - Plz suggest.

Formating doesnt affect system apps (it only wipes thier data)
Flash your device by odin, its your best choice.
A clean flash is recommended.

I have connected my phone to KIES and there was this 1200MB update !
I updated the phone and now there doesn't seem to be any entry of Kingroot in Applications Manager. Wasn't it as good as flashing via Odin ? as it practically installed/flashed a newer firmware ?

basem_ym

Jul 6, 2015
Tartus

I updated the phone and now there doesn't seem to be any entry of Kingroot in Applications Manager. Wasn't it as good as flashing via Odin ? as it practically installed/flashed a newer firmware ?

I haven't used kies before.
But I think it does the job.
Just to be 'safer', you should wipe data/factory reset your device.
Good luck.

Sirius_Balzier

Aug 12, 2016

- There's some app called "Advanced Task Manager" (literally). The icon is a green android with an red "X" on him.

- I suggest installing a brand new firmware, not updating, because the updates keep the user data; unless you update the firmware, then reinstall a fresh new firmware (the same version of update), wiping user data before installing new firmware. So kingroot will be gone, because you installed new partitions. (I think)

andrew124C41

Jun 21, 2018
@gatesjunior....While I am pretty tech savvy since I am retired and had no need for one, only recently did I pick up a smartphone. It was actually given to me, a cheap Alcatel LTE Raven. I am actually finding it useful so I will probably get a better one. In the meantime, I thought I might try rooting. Having much else to do, a google search brought me to Kingroot which I downloaded to my PC. My first sign of trouble was while I was installing it via Revo Uninstaller..during the install, my anti-virus became unhappy. I foolishly ignored it thinking it was a false alarm. However, when I came to the point where I was asked to accept or decline the installation of some bloatware, I came to my senses and thought to myself, "if something is too good to be true, it probably isn't" or "you get what you pay for," in this case it is what I might be getting BECAUSE I did not pay for it.

While the software was not on my PC I did not use it but did a search which brought me to your post. When I read something like this it restores my faith in the future of mankind. "Evil can flourish when good men do nothing." You took a stand brother! You took a stand and said something. It is bad enough that Google, the supposed gatekeeper with Google Play, is supposed to protect us from bad apps...but aren't they the wolf at the door of the hen house when it comes to "protecting" privacy?

Then one has to ask, why is XDA Developers supporting them? The answer has already been suggested. Is the company violating any Federal, State or local law by its actions? I am not an attorney but about four years ago, a company in VA was prosecuted by the Feds for selling a spying app. I notice that the company made a statement on its page here at XDA denying any malevolent intent.

From a legal perspective, there is another long shot...that is fraud. One poster suggested that his phone had not even been rooted. If proof exists that the app/software either does not accomplish what it is intended to do or does it poorly while at the same time doing something that it is not supposed to, it might come under the purview of the Federal Trade Commission. (I have lived in the DC area now for over 35 years and while it was never my intent learned more than I really want to know about what is going on behind the scenes.) The FTC gets far more cases than they can handle, so they have a caveat emptor perspective. They will respond when enough complaints are received. It took the Feds years to get Kevin Trudeau but they finally succeeded.

So, now what am I to do about rooting my phone. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Last edited:

timbuctoo

XDA should take down KingRoot

I couldn't agree more with you.

KingRoot is actually one of the most notorious tool out on Android. Two of my phones have personally become vicitms of their malware/adware injection. God knows what else they collected. Heck, I even used banking apps on the phone with that app lurking.

I have learnt my lesson.

The question is, with the irrefutable proof that users can attest for, why is XDA hosting and allowing such a nefarious tool?

andrew124C41

Jun 21, 2018
I have some experience with Smart Phones, initially with a windows based one. I got fairly comfortable with loading different ROMS. I also have a pretty good understanding of the android system. However, I purchased a cheap android, Alcatel Raven Lte....cheap, but quite frankly, rather amazing when you think of all its capabilities (FM radio lol) for thirty dollars. Since it is new, I have not been able to find any information regarding rooting....

I do not want to use anything like Kingroot for obvious reasons.

Any advice regarding where to look would be appreciate.

stunnabirb

Sep 18, 2018
Thanks, @gatesjunior!

I am rooting an LG my mom got to get rid of all LG/carrier bloat.

I came here to XDA and found a pretty involved methodand also King/Kingoroot. Being lazy I figured "Eh. This will be fine." The more I thought about it though something seemed off. The tutorial had me unlocking the bootloader, flashing a custom recovery, etc whereas with King/o, it's just a tap.

I did a search and found this thread so thanks again, man. You save me a massive headache. It's kind of messed up that this is supposed to be the place for reputable, trustworthy information yet they're pushing these programs without any mention of all of the BS that comes along with them.

I've seen plenty of people say "Well if they're dumb enough to use something like that, they deserve what they get." That's not right either. Rooting a phone can be an extremely daunting task, especially for people who aren't very tech savvy. These apps take advantage of that and damage expensive devices for profit.

timbuctoo

it is also proofed that facebook whatsapp google and even stock roms gathering data, should xda bann them?
They don't (mis)use for military or hacking purposes, whereas a lot of countries ban Chinese products, especially phones, to be used by thier military personnel. Huawei and ZTE have long been suspected to have strong backing and interference from the Chinese military.

I'm afraid this is an apples and oranges comparison!

gatesjunior

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 12, 2010
Michigan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There has been a lot of discussion about this topic and opinions. But lets be clear about a few things that are facts:

KingRoot now installs a ton of Adware on your device
    KingRoot takes over your lock screen now and splatters ads on it
    KingRoot's Uninstall does NOT remove everything they have modified on your device
    SuperSU replace method does NOT remove everything they put on it either
    KingRoot intentionally ads multiple binary files to your /system/bin folder that have nothing to do with their rooting method and are even back dating them to try and hide them
    AVG has reported this and even warns of possible personal information gathering, that is NOT just a warning of rooting exploits
    KingRoot has now included a Wifi option within their latest version under tools, what do you think they are gathering there ?

I have been trying to tell users for a long time that they are up to no good and they have even lied saying they tried to contact me to work with me on what they refer to as my app doing a malicious removal of their tool. That is completely incorrect... They have NEVER tried to contact me about this. They did try and ask my to stop and I told them once they allowed SupeSU to cleanly take over their root and they allowed all traces of their program to be replaced/removed I would then do it, but they never have adhered to any of that.

You the user have been warned and my conscious has been cleared. Install this at your own risk. They even went as far as trying to prevent my program from gaining root, why ? Because it will in fact remove all traces of their program including their custom binaries they have added, etc.. Now, keep in mind, they have many binaries that they add, depending on the device, but I do my best to catch them.

KingRoot, you want all of this to stop ? Then comply with the request of all the users and myself to remove EVERY file modification you have made to their device and allow replacement of your tools with whatever the user desires, cleanly.. You want to make it a paid app for you to get compensation for your time ? Fine, but get rid of all this Adware and malicious take over you have done to their device.

Let all the people speak now. It is your device and your choice of what you want to see, I am just one voice of many...

Respectfully submitted,

Gatesjunior (One of the people in the community)

Reference:

AVG:
    http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/us-en/virus-and-malware-information/info/android-kingroot/
    http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/us-en/android-app-reports/app/com.kingroot.kinguser/
    http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/us-en/android-app-reports/app/com.kingstudio.purify

Finger printing the device:
    Has the ability to get the wifi MAC address (may be used to fingerprint device)
    Has the ability to read the device ID (e.g. IMEI or ESN)

Location Services (Where have you been ?):
    Permission request for "android.permission.ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION"
    Permission request for "android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION"

Camera (Can I see what your doing ?):
    Permission request for "android.permission.CAMERA

Super-Sume Pro: https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/paid-software/supersu-please-t3110954

(Sony devices, or at least the majority, you are in a bad spot, because you are rooted, but try and mount your /system into (r/w) mode... Probably not going to happen unless you load a kernel module to allow this. Otherwise you are in a write-protected mode and can only factory restore your device to get rid of it.)
    I recently upgraded my old s4 for hangouts only use (no carrier) to 501 and I used an old version of Kingroot and current SuperSUme. No worries. Thanks for a great app.

Real question is. Why can't someone legit make a kingroot type rooter that's not all jacked. It's there really no one else who knows how to do it that is honest?

Sure, it can be done. But they protect, for good reasons, their rooting methods. I can't disagree with them there. But someone else would have to come out with the exploits and wrap it into a rooting method for everyone to use. They definitely have the team and resources to be able to root devices. I am very thankful for that, don't get me wrong, but the way they make you accept it all is where I take issue.
    There are a few scripts and cleaners out that kill KR totally.. Attached is a list of components that KR installs during the takeover.. As far as I have tested, 360Root, PermRoot,Kingo Root all use a binary that easily transfers to SuperSU without any major hacks... The bins mentioned could serve a purpose of obfuscation of root, or they could be all the connections that are required for a remote ADB hack session. China knowing what apps I use, what device I use, and where it is does not bother me nearly as much as all of that access granted to parties within the CONTUS. That is why I don't use full versions of social network apps, and use 3c Toolbox Pro to edit out individual permissions and receivers.

The list should give you something to plug in to a batch file for ease of use.
    Kingroot is a malware since it exists, i rooted one device with it.
    I used Super-Sume Pro to erased this malware en replace it with SuperSU
    Tiny screen made me click the wrong poll answer. ><

Thanks for the info