• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

KitKat news for G... legit?

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
In TWRP Recovery:
  • Format System
  • Wipe cache
  • Wipe Data(not the internal memory or you will loose the zips copied above)
  • Wipe Dalvik-cache
  • Install Paulicat ROM
  • Wipe cache again
  • Wipe Data again (not the internal memory or you will loose the zips copied above)
  • Wipe Dalvik-cache again
  • Install Sling_GOPEN_G_F180_v2.1_blueberry_260514.zip
  • Install Sling2.1_Patch_F180K_lgviet.com.zip,
  • Install UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99
  • Reboot
Just wondering... I keep reading instructions in several threads to flash Paulicat's ROM as an intermediate step before Sling. Why is this needed??? Unless, of course, you want to use Paulicat's ROM, then just flash it and stay with it. But as a stepping stone to Sling? What's the rationale here? I don't get it... What am I missing? In my experience (did it several times), Sling, as well as VDT, can be flashed just fine with no problems from CWM/TWRP recovery in stock ROM, once the BL is unlocked and recovery is installed with FreeGee.

If you has signal problems, just flash the zip with your modem backup (or one of the zips provided in link above)
Here is some extra info on modems, from my own experience. Might be useful...

"When flash KK, lucky and patient is needed" (yoda)
"Lucky and patient you need" -- that would sound more like Yoda to me. :) Sorry, just couldn't resist...:p

Last edited:
Just wondering... I keep reading instructions in several threads to flash Paulicat's ROM as an intermediate step before Sling. Why is this needed??? Unless, of course, you want to use Paulicat's ROM, then just flash it and stay with it. But as a stepping stone to Sling? What's the rationale here? I don't get it... What am I missing? In my experience (did it several times), Sling, as well as VDT, can be flashed just fine with no problems from CWM/TWRP recovery in stock ROM, once the BL is unlocked and recovery is installed with FreeGee.
Im my case, when i tried install Sling directly over Stock JB with (1.5G System), he doesn't boot! Several users reports that sling requires a 2G System partition before flash.
It's only a guess, but i believe that Paulicat rom zip, makes my system partition grows from 1.5G to 2.1G when it's flashs several img's inside the zip and that's the reason for a sucessfull flash of Sling! . The fact is that before paulicat rom, my system partition has only 1.5G and now the partition have 2.1 G!!

"Lucky and patient you need" -- that would sound more like Yoda to me. :) Sorry, just couldn't resist...:p
Yes, this sound much better! :)

Reactions: kt-Froggy

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Im my case, when i tried install Sling directly over Stock JB with (1.5G System), he doesn't boot! Several users reports that sling requires a 2G System partition before flash.
It's only a guess, but i believe that Paulicat rom zip, makes my system partition grows from 1.5G to 2.1G when it's flashs several img's inside the zip and that's the reason for a sucessfull flash of Sling! . The fact is that before paulicat rom, my system partition has only 1.5G and now the partition have 2.1 G!!
Ahh, OK. I was under an impression that flashing 10H KDZ would take care of setting the system partition size to 2GB. If it doesn't, then it makes more sense... I got a 2GB system partition when I flashed the latest JB V20N KDZ on my phone (I have F180, not E975), so Sling installed just fine.

2nd Sky

Jun 15, 2013
My City
Ahh, OK. I was under an impression that flashing 10H KDZ would take care of setting the system partition size to 2GB. If it doesn't, then it makes more sense... I got a 2GB system partition when I flashed the latest JB V20N KDZ on my phone (I have F180, not E975), so Sling installed just fine.
hey, can u give me/us the modem from the vdt rom? will try it because im in a city with bad signal.... -Thanks for share it ;) ( u can give me the .img and i will make flashable zip when u cant do it ;)

grunch21

Feb 13, 2014
I have E975 and can flash VDT and paulicat's without problem. Infact i used VDT from furkanderger first before flashing paulicat's. I didn't flash 10h either, using my old 10F and it was because i got secure boot error after flashing hoangnova's. I don't understand why you guys have to use complicated steps to install it.

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
hey, can u give me/us the modem from the vdt rom? will try it because im in a city with bad signal.... -Thanks for share it ;) ( u can give me the .img and i will make flashable zip when u cant do it ;)
I can't upload it now from work, so will have to do that when I get home in the evening. Or, you could extract it from the VDT patch for a specific model that can be found here.

I don't understand why you guys have to use complicated steps to install it.
Well, I didn't understand it either, that's why I asked. :) I do understand that quite a few users are facing a problem with the system partition being too small, hence all the steps to resolve it. But I was able to install VDT and Sling straight from CWM in stock ROM. Whatever works, I guess...

Reactions: grunch21

kt-Froggy

Sep 14, 2012
YVR
Sorry, didn't have a chance to upload it yesterday... Here it is: the IMG file, and the flashable zip that I used (based on another modem flasher by Houstonn, I just replaced the IMG inside).

Reactions: spytgm

grrrr_unt

Jun 9, 2012
In france and in sfr.fr they have a tested kitkat(not rumors is oficcial) for our optimus g.see here
http://translate.google.gr/translat...ones.sfr.fr/android/lg-optimus-g-kitkat-test/
I think the E975 update is gonna be almost the same (if not the same) as the F180 updates.. which means no knock on/off/code, slide aside etc.. however what I don't understand is when SFR says the update is "close to G2".. does it mean it will incorporate knock on/off/code or not?? I wonder.. can't wait for the update though.

Sent from another dimension in another timeline

optimus975

Mar 4, 2014
I think the E975 update is gonna be almost the same (if not the same) as the F180 updates.. which means no knock on/off/code, slide aside etc.. however what I don't understand is when SFR says the update is "close to G2".. does it mean it will incorporate knock on/off/code or not?? I wonder.. can't wait for the update though.

Sent from another dimension in another timeline
Yes it says V20a which I guess is same as F series updates...and hence no knock on/off code.... shame. :(

ankit360

Oct 29, 2008
Thane
joke

i feel like someone gave small candy to baby to stop his cry

today after waiting so much long for kitkat update i flash my Indian E975 to German kitkat ROM

after using it for first 19 minutes i can't spot any visual difference between 4.1 and 4.4 . LG made very poor job while adding some good features .

in performance level i do feel some difference but visually i feel like i m still using jellybean :(

rimsilva

Apr 11, 2009
i feel like someone gave small candy to baby to stop his cry

today after waiting so much long for kitkat update i flash my Indian E975 to German kitkat ROM

after using it for first 19 minutes i can't spot any visual difference between 4.1 and 4.4 . LG made very poor job while adding some good features .

in performance level i do feel some difference but visually i feel like i m still using jellybean :(
Sorry, I don't agree with you...

For me performance level is much better and that is what matters (battery especially), I don't have installed German version, but should not be very different from other European version (off course that sling has more (and good) add-ons).

There are slight differences on UI like status bar icons (more kitkat) but you should expect LG UI not Samsung or Sony, of course that G3 is very different because it's a new LG UI.

The main things on this new OS version is that now you are able to install more applications (that are nor compatible with JB) but if you look more carefully you will find a new dial, sms, battery statistics and a lockscreen with widgets support!

cooljay5

Jan 6, 2013
Ankit,

I'm from India and I'm on v10f, can we flash the german v20A directly? Also, how do we root it? towelroot? Can someone please let me know, I'm planning to flash the german v20A..

ankit360

Oct 29, 2008
Thane
Ankit,

I'm from India and I'm on v10f, can we flash the german v20A directly? Also, how do we root it? towelroot? Can someone please let me know, I'm planning to flash the German v20A..
i don't know about root but u can easily use it with this tool . i m using it with Airtel connection in mumbai no any signal related issue so far

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53841939&postcount=131

Type: 3GQCT
Phone Mode: CS_Emergency

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Sorry, I don't agree with you...

For me performance level is much better and that is what matters (battery especially), I don't have installed German version, but should not be very different from other European version (off course that sling has more (and good) add-ons).

There are slight differences on UI like status bar icons (more kitkat) but you should expect LG UI not Samsung or Sony, of course that G3 is very different because it's a new LG UI.

The main things on this new OS version is that now you are able to install more applications (that are nor compatible with JB) but if you look more carefully you will find a new dial, sms, battery statistics and a lockscreen with widgets support!
i totally agree with u on performance level but i also hoping for new flat UI maybe i was asking too much .

caseychanfc

Nov 5, 2012
Singapore
i don't know about root but u can easily use it with this tool . i m using it with Airtel connection in mumbai no any signal related issue so far

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53841939&postcount=131

Type: 3GQCT
Phone Mode: CS_Emergency

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

i totally agree with u on performance level but i also hoping for new flat UI maybe i was asking too much .
Ankit,

I'm from Singapore and have model number LG E975, just to ask, when you flashed the German V20a was there the encryption pin issue? (Need to factory reset?) Thanks!!

akahroba

Feb 13, 2014
Ankit,

I'm from Singapore and have model number LG E975, just to ask, when you flashed the German V20a was there the encryption pin issue? (Need to factory reset?) Thanks!!
It happens when you upgrade using normal flash mode. You should use CSE mode for upgrade and downgrade. I got that after flashing France ROM. and yes doing a hard reset solves the issue.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2797204

Reactions: caseychanfc

caseychanfc

Nov 5, 2012
Singapore
It happens when you upgrade using normal flash mode. You should use CSE mode for upgrade and downgrade. I got that after flashing France ROM. and yes doing a hard reset solves the issue.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2797204
Hey thanks for the fast reply!

Sorry just one more thing...so if i flash using CSE i wont get the encrypt pin yes? Will this wipe all data? Thanks much! :) gotta do a backup before flashing German>>

cgrafi

Jun 25, 2011
Flashed the german kdz today with normal mode. I was not asked for an encryption pin. I had no data lost.

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone