• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[KK 4.4.4][ROM]Mackay ROM 4.9.13 (11-Oct-2014)

Search This thread

anbey

Nov 30, 2008
Hi to all, i enjoy mackay rom so much.
Since last update my bluetooth speaker dont connect..

Anyone has this problem?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

jrub

Jun 25, 2007
Congrats, this is the best KitKat ROM I have found for the i9000.

I have a problem which I'm not sure if it's related to the ROM itself, or to my adb... so if anyone could test it I would appreciate it.

I enabled "ADB over network" on Developer options. I use "adb connect ip:5555" and it works fine. The problem is that when I disable the setting, I can't reconect via usb. Of course I Have done the usual steps: "adb usb" to listen again over usb and not tcpip. Tried adb kill-server, reboot phone, reboot PC, etc, and it doesn't swich back to usb mode.

Can anyone please test it is not sth related to the ROM ?

Thanks

EDIT: Just noted that I have missed UMS ability (connect via usb and use phone as flash storage) :-/

EDIT2: Flashed last update (4.2.0) and both UMS and adb usb functionality were restored. Didn't try again to enable adb wifi.

EDIT3: Got broken again. Checked different usb cables, and usb ports. :(

Last edited:

moalesipufos

Mar 12, 2007
Bucharest
1. I do not know what happens but the first version of the battery have a much longer duration than before. Unfortunately not kept it;
2. Still no ability to save photos to the microSD card;
3. There's still this delay;
4. Old dialer was much more beautiful and elegant than now.

Last edited:

davor175

Sep 12, 2009
For some reason since updating to this ROM I get an error when I try to do anything that requires root (superuser).

App manager gives me this when I try to freeze a process/app;
"can not grant wtrite access on your system. Please check NAND unloacked on your phone"

The entropy lag reduction app Seeder isnt letting me turn it on either. Says my phone might not be rooted.

Both apps have Superuser exceptions set as allowed.

Any ideas? Is my root ****ed up? What should I do?

tsatomas

Feb 5, 2012
Athens
For some reason since updating to this ROM I get an error when I try to do anything that requires root (superuser).

App manager gives me this when I try to freeze a process/app;
"can not grant wtrite access on your system. Please check NAND unloacked on your phone"

The entropy lag reduction app Seeder isnt letting me turn it on either. Says my phone might not be rooted.

Both apps have Superuser exceptions set as allowed.

Any ideas? Is my root ****ed up? What should I do?

Install/flash supersu

Sent from my GT-P3110 using xda app-developers app

MrOban

Feb 27, 2010
Lohmar
@kasper_h Since I installed your omni test_ROM I have no longer access to the external SD within twrp. I restored to this cm-rom, but that did not help. I have full access after the ROM started but not within twrp. Do you have any idea, what I can do?

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2

kasper_h

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
@kasper_h Since I installed your omni test_ROM I have no longer access to the external SD within twrp. I restored to this cm-rom, but that did not help. I have full access after the ROM started but not within twrp. Do you have any idea, what I can do?

Which kernel version?

Verstuurd van mijn Nexus 5

MrOban

Feb 27, 2010
Lohmar
Which kernel version?

ROM 4.2.0 with 0.608

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Which kernel version?

Pardon @kasper_h,.
I tested a 64 GB SD. That's no problem for the ROM, only for twrp.
I forgot that I didn't change it back to the 32 GB one.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

B.t.w. did you know that cwm 0.608 can access 64 GB SD card without any problem?
That's a good point for me to keep using cwm. :D

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

baciany

Oct 10, 2012
Kraków
Hello. I changed to LOW_RAM but i dont see any difference (only dimming effect behind notification drawer, and statusbar transparency are turned OFF). I have the same ammount of free ram (meybe 5mb more). Is this option useless ?

Last edited:

knuckles1978

Aug 6, 2012
Hello. I changed to LOW_RAM but i dont see any difference (only dimming effect behind notification drawer, and statusbar transparency are turned OFF). I have the same ammount of free ram (meybe 5mb more). Is this option useless ?

Free ram is not important in android. In android, free ram is wasted ram. When you switched lowmem on, it made more available ram for apps to use, and they are using it, and that's why you think you haven't gained anything.

I can tell you that there is a performance gain to be had by using lowmem_on on the i9000. I tested it with and without for a couple of weeks each, and I'm certain there is.

Question I have for someone else who can answer. Rather than using zram on the i9000, wouldn't be better to use a 512MB or 1GB swap file on /sdcard or a class 8 microSD, or is there a reason why we aren't all doing this.....??

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

mosquis71

Oct 30, 2010
Free ram is not important in android. In android, free ram is wasted ram. When you switched lowmem on, it made more available ram for apps to use, and they are using it, and that's why you think you haven't gained anything.

I can tell you that there is a performance gain to be had by using lowmem_on on the i9000. I tested it with and without for a couple of weeks each, and I'm certain there is.

Question I have for someone else who can answer. Rather than using zram on the i9000, wouldn't be better to use a 512MB or 1GB swap file on /sdcard or a class 8 microSD, or is there a reason why we aren't all doing this.....??

To your question, I'm afraid that the problem is the big difference between RAM speed and internal memory or SD. SWAP from a size "to big" would a bottleneck in this case.

BlueVIP

Jul 12, 2012
I had swap enabled on devil kernel with 4.3 and it leads to lags. So in my opinion swap performance depends on the sd card class and quality and the difference between internal and sd speed is too big. I can live with less ram but performant system.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

c-droid

Dec 28, 2013

Wouldn't it be better if the swap file be created on the internal storage? Isn't the internal storage any faster than the external SD?

mosquis71

Oct 30, 2010
Wouldn't it be better if the swap file be created on the internal storage? Isn't the internal storage any faster than the external SD?

Off topic: Under usual conditions, any OS loses performance when the system integrates SWAP and the system uses it. The only reason to have SWAP on android would be to avoid closing background apps, at the cost of lag. The speed difference between the RAM and memory (internal or external) is too large.

Enviado desde mi Asus MemoPad HD 7

solar666

Sep 4, 2010
OnePlus One
OnePlus 5T
Off topic: Under usual conditions, any OS loses performance when the system integrates SWAP and the system uses it. The only reason to have SWAP on android would be to avoid closing background apps, at the cost of lag. The speed difference between the RAM and memory (internal or external) is too large.

Enviado desde mi Asus MemoPad HD 7

Anyhow, our IO is far too slow.

kasper_h

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2010
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S

Internal storage is actually quite slow, although that depends on the movinand issue, so not the same for everyone. But a fast SD will be quicker that internal, no matter which hardware revision you have.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been sharing my CM7/CM9/CM10/CM10.1/CM10.2-based builds for some time in several thread, which culminated in the MackayROM. I continue now with KK4.4 from where I was for JB4.3. MackayROM is based on CyanogenMod sources, with several performance enhancements.

About Cyanogen: CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.4 (KitKat), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.
    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

If you run into errors, I may not be able to solve it!

If you know a solution to a problem, either upload it yourself to Gerrit Code Review or contact me through pm.

The ROM is based on Cyanogen sources with the following changes:
    -Mackay Kernel:
    -Set of cherries picked from gerrit (differing by the day)
    -Some additional patches I did myself to the source code

Feature request are OK, but remember:
    1. I try to stay close to stock
    2. I will not include additional apps, unless they can be build from source
    3. The time I spend on features depends on how much I like them myself

Although it is possible to enable ART, this is not advisable:
    -Takes long to convert from Dalvik to ART on first boot
    -Needs more RAM
    -Can cause soft reboots
    But off course, YMMV -> light users may have better luck

Changelog of 4.9.14 - 5-Nov-2014
    -CM11.0 codebase of 3-Nov-2014
    -TWRP updated to 2.8.1.0

Full changelog of 4.9.14 compared to stock CM11.0:
    CM11.0 sources of 3-Nov-2014

Mackay kernel:
    Separate kernel thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2532813

TWRP (2.8.1.0):
    -Themed orange
    -Run recovery-apps (zip files should be present in /system/mackay, launch them through advanced->run app)

Removed apps:
    -VideoEditor & demo VideoFiles

vendor/cm:
    -Adapt for custom MackayROM building (bootanimation, ROM&file name)
    -Custom bootanimation (Thanks to Malcho)

vendor/samsung:
    -Added scripts for Mackay Settings

hardware/samsung:
    -F4k 720p patch for bigmem kernels

AriesParts (“Mackay Settings” in Settings menu):
    Add mackay kernel settings options:
    >WiFi PM mode selection
    >BLX settings
    >BLN activation
    >Navbar selection
    >Low RAM mode selection

For other projects (frameworks/base & Settings, check my github for the latest patches)

Coming from stock Samsung ROM/CM7:
    -The safest way is to flash CM9 first and then flash Mackay ROM. Going directly from Samsung ROM/CM7 to Mackay ROM may lead to loosing IMEI.

Fresh install:
    Can be flashed on top of any CyanogenMod build:
    -Do a factory reset
    -Flash ROM
    -Flash gapps
    -Reboot your phone

Update:
    -Flash ROM
    -Reboot your phone
    (no wipes or other things needed, just flash & reboot)

-Custom kernels can be used only if specific for KK4.4

Credits:
    -teamhacksung/pawitp for making CyanogenMod work on our ancient phone
    -stratosk/DerTeufel/Mialwe for the inspiration I got from their kernels
    -rootax for providing a high-speed server for high quality downloads
    -Malcho for his kernel splash & bootanimation

Downloads:
    Basketbuild

Google Apps
    Nano Gapps

For those who want to theme it even further, Bejda made a Mackay splash screen!
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2214468

To download the same kernel, but then with voodoo colour, or with CWM:
    Basketbuild

XDA:DevDB Information
    [KK 4.4.4][ROM]Mackay ROM, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S I9000

Contributors
    kasper_h
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2013-11-16
    Last Updated 2014-09-21
    Yeah we all have that. Although i have read somewhere that there is a fix for it..
    I'm hoping that Kasper will include it in a new build soon.. :)

Yes, see below:

Changelog of 4.2.1 - 23-Jan-2014
    -CM11.0 codebase of 23-Jan
    -0.609 kernel, which is essentially the CMA kernel also part of the previous release
    -Call delay fixes merged
    -Option to enable high-end graphic with lowram-setting activated
    -Option to allow lockscreen widget with lowram-setting activated

Downloads:
    Rootaxbox
    Changelog of 4.1.1 - 3-Dec-2013
    -CM11.0 codebase of 3-Dec
    -Improved and added a lot of code. Most relevant may be the circular battery indicator & option to change Launcher (row/columns/search bar):
    https://github.com/kasperhettinga/android_frameworks_base/commits/mackay-cm11
    https://github.com/kasperhettinga/android_packages_apps_Settings/commits/mackay-cm11

Downloads:
    XDAfileserver
    Rootaxbox
    Last update of 2013 :)

Changelog of 4.1.7 - 31-Dec-2013
    -CM11.0 codebase of 31-Dec

Downloads:
    XDAfileserver
    Rootaxbox
    Changelog of 4.1.2 - 9-Dec-2013
    -CM11.0 codebase of 9-Dec => update to 4.4.1 (many fixes)
    -Fixed the issues reported in the past week (no more CMUpdate in Settings, translation fixes)
    -Improved and added a lot of code:
    https://github.com/kasperhettinga/android_frameworks_base/commits/mackay-cm11
    https://github.com/kasperhettinga/android_packages_apps_Settings/commits/mackay-cm11

Downloads:
    XDAfileserver
    Rootaxbox