Known App Conflicts Causing Problems with Xoom

Search This thread

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I hope that this thread can be pinned so that we can all be warned about serious conflicts with app updates and versions and some of the kernels and roms we have flashed. Still hoping this thread will be used for solid advice. Please contribute.
Some of these apps/versions are consistently causing problems, including near-bricks.:eek:

My first warning is for Xoomers to avoid updating to the 4.XXX version of Clockwork Recovery. This version doesn't "see" our external sdcard, and backs up to the internal sd, and also, prevents flashing from the external sdcard...if you have already updated through Clockwork Mod Rom Manager, you will need to re-flash a good recovery.

Update 6/21-- This is still a problem--do not update to Version 4.XXX of Clockwork Mod Recovery through ROM Manager. If you did, then in RM, scroll to the bottom and flash an older recovery (2.0.2.5 I think) then the newest one pinned to the top of solarnz's thread in the development section.

There have also been problems with the updated busybox and with the binaries that the updated superuser app installs.

Please, can we get more definitive statuses on these two applications?

Please use this thread and add in your own known problem apps, etc. and if possible suggest or link to solutions for others who may be ensnared in these conflicts.

Last edited:

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Okantomi is right. This thread should be pinned. I have seen at least a dozen cries for help on Q&A from people that have fallen into these two traps.
Thanks cam30era, you have been one of the people giving the warnings as well.

OK this is a shameless bump to keep the thread visible.

Oh yes, and never flash a .zip file through adb!!!

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
ROM manager causes so many problems. I don't see the point of it.
It's actually a very useful app in so many ways, but there should be more coordination between the developers...it seems the 4.XXX update sort of treats the Xoom like a phone with only a small internal memory and an external sd card being the only thing called sdcard.

On a tablet, however, we have a large internal sdcard (32GB on Xoom) and mounted to that is our external sdcard (this mount point is one of the reasons that Google is hesitant to OK the external SDcard on tablets--makes for an awkward file structure, I guess). This version of CWM seems to only see our internal sdcard on the root directory and treats it as the external sd.

If this explanation is wrong, those with more knowledge please correct me. I think it's helpful for people to know, in layman's terms, what's going wrong, as it can help them use logic to avoid problems in the future, but I don't want to spread mis-information!

Last edited:
Reactions: cwgannon

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
What's wrong with the latest "Superuser" and "Busybox", though?
I think these are either in conflict with the Tiamat ROM 1.0 /and or newest updates missing files (busybox). This was recorded in an ongoing discussion in development (dinomight OP) and I fell victim to updating to a conflicting busybox version. All was fine until I rebooted and stared the dreaded RSD 3 in the face. God only knows how I made it back from the edge...

Kippui

Jan 1, 2011
I think these are either in conflict with the Tiamat ROM 1.0 /and or newest updates missing files (busybox). This was recorded in an ongoing discussion in development (dinomight OP) and I fell victim to updating to a conflicting busybox version. All was fine until I rebooted and stared the dreaded RSD 3 in the face. God only knows how I made it back from the edge...

I installed busybox from the market too, is it safe to uninstall? I was trying to get cifs to work somehow and I ended up installing busy box. The xoom froze and I got the RSD 3 somehow. I kept smashing button combinations until it rebooted. It has been fine ever since.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
I installed busybox from the market too, is it safe to uninstall? I was trying to get cifs to work somehow and I ended up installing busy box. The xoom froze and I got the RSD 3 somehow. I kept smashing button combinations until it rebooted. It has been fine ever since.
Wow! Glad you were able to recover! I think that solarnz made a stable version and I think it's in the development section inhis recovery thread.

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
What's wrong with the latest "Superuser" and "Busybox", though?

Long story short :
The busybox wasn't compiled with run-parts. In our rom, the ramdisk used to rely on this for init.d. This has been fixed.

With superuser, the su binary appears to be incompatible. I haven't had a look at this issue yet.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
Long story short :
The busybox wasn't compiled with run-parts. In our rom, the ramdisk used to rely on this for init.d. This has been fixed.

With superuser, the su binary appears to be incompatible. I haven't had a look at this issue yet.
Thank you solarnz. So is the busybox in the market safe to install/update or do you have a link to the fixed version?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hope that this thread can be pinned so that we can all be warned about serious conflicts with app updates and versions and some of the kernels and roms we have flashed. Still hoping this thread will be used for solid advice. Please contribute.
    Some of these apps/versions are consistently causing problems, including near-bricks.:eek:

My first warning is for Xoomers to avoid updating to the 4.XXX version of Clockwork Recovery. This version doesn't "see" our external sdcard, and backs up to the internal sd, and also, prevents flashing from the external sdcard...if you have already updated through Clockwork Mod Rom Manager, you will need to re-flash a good recovery.

Update 6/21-- This is still a problem--do not update to Version 4.XXX of Clockwork Mod Recovery through ROM Manager. If you did, then in RM, scroll to the bottom and flash an older recovery (2.0.2.5 I think) then the newest one pinned to the top of solarnz's thread in the development section.

There have also been problems with the updated busybox and with the binaries that the updated superuser app installs.

Please, can we get more definitive statuses on these two applications?

Please use this thread and add in your own known problem apps, etc. and if possible suggest or link to solutions for others who may be ensnared in these conflicts.
    ROM manager causes so many problems. I don't see the point of it.
    It's actually a very useful app in so many ways, but there should be more coordination between the developers...it seems the 4.XXX update sort of treats the Xoom like a phone with only a small internal memory and an external sd card being the only thing called sdcard.

On a tablet, however, we have a large internal sdcard (32GB on Xoom) and mounted to that is our external sdcard (this mount point is one of the reasons that Google is hesitant to OK the external SDcard on tablets--makes for an awkward file structure, I guess). This version of CWM seems to only see our internal sdcard on the root directory and treats it as the external sd.

If this explanation is wrong, those with more knowledge please correct me. I think it's helpful for people to know, in layman's terms, what's going wrong, as it can help them use logic to avoid problems in the future, but I don't want to spread mis-information!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone