General Known issues/bugs that prevent deep sleep

Search This thread

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com
Since I already made several posts / topics regarding issues on my phone with deep sleep, I was able track down different issues and scenarios which prevented the phone from going into deep sleep.

Thanks to
@Freak07
@Lughnasadh
@RetroTech07
@TNSMANI
@craznazn

ProxyHandler gets stuck after a reboot
Link: https://support.google.com/pixelpho...oxycontroller-wakelock-draining-battery?hl=en
Basically every now and then the "ProxyHandler" will get stuck after a reboot and prevent the phone from ever going into deep sleep.
Fix:
To temporarily fix this go into airplane mode and reboot again. Disable airplane mode after the reboot and use your phone until the next reboot

When the screen gets stuck at 60Hz
I wasn't able to figure out which service is keeping the device awake.
But I did track down that the 60Hz stuck-issue is also prevent the phone to going into deep sleep.
Fix:
Reboot the phone

I will update this post when new bugs get reported or figured out.

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com
In my testing it doesn't seem like "Naptime" will fix or help with any of the issues.
Also in my testing it seems like "Naptime" in general doesn't do anything regarding battery drain / deep sleep.

So far I have been using BBS to track down most of the issues.
To use BBS on Android 12:
  • Install BBS
  • Grant all permissions
  • Run in adb: adb shell settings put global hidden_api_policy 1
  • Reboot phone
  • Everything except kernel wakelocks will work

Reactions: mko000

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
Since I already made several posts / topics regarding issues on my phone with deep sleep, I was able track down different issues and scenarios which prevented the phone from going into deep sleep.

Thanks to
@Freak07
@Lughnasadh
@RetroTech07
@TNSMANI
@craznazn

Link: https://support.google.com/pixelpho...oxycontroller-wakelock-draining-battery?hl=en
Basically every now and then the "ProxyHandler" will get stuck after a reboot and prevent the phone from ever going into deep sleep.
Fix:
To temporarily fix this go into airplane mode and reboot again. Disable airplane mode after the reboot and use your phone until the next reboot

But I did track down that the 60Hz stuck-issue is also prevent the phone to going into deep sleep.
Fix:
Reboot the phone

Please check whether the A12 update fixes any of your issues.

Reactions: galaxys

ggrant3876

Jun 17, 2009
Wichita Falls, Texas
Don't seem to have any issues with deep sleep, unlocked 512Gb version.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211102-100317.png
    Screenshot_20211102-100317.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
In my testing it doesn't seem like "Naptime" will fix or help with any of the issues.
Also in my testing it seems like "Naptime" in general doesn't do anything regarding battery drain / deep sleep.

• Install BBS
  • Grant all permissions
  • Reboot phone
In general, Naptime, and similar apps, have not really been needed since Android 10. In my experience, they can do more harm than good, for what it's worth. A properly running OS with properly running apps shouldn't need apps like this nowadays. If you feel the need to use apps like this then something else is wrong. These types of apps only address the symptom, not the cause (Rocky Horror flashback 🙃).

Just my opinion...

Last edited:

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com
Does anyone know if poor signal strength prevents deep sleep or causes the phone to take longer into deep sleep?

Could it be that countries where the pixel is not official being sold somehow affect deep sleep?

It is weird because usually I am like 65% deep sleep while screen is off and 35% awake while screen is off.

Today I am in a country where the Pixel is also officially being sold (I actually bought it here) instead of my home country and I am like 95% in deep sleep and only 5% awake.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Does anyone know if poor signal strength prevents deep sleep or causes the phone to take longer into deep sleep?

Could it be that countries where the pixel is not official being sold somehow affect deep sleep?

It is weird because usually I am like 65% deep sleep while screen is off and 35% awake while screen is off.

Today I am in a country where the Pixel is also officially being sold (I actually bought it here) instead of my home country and I am like 95% in deep sleep and only 5% awake.
I remember when traveling to Europe my P5 (or P4 perhaps it was long ago) drained like 20% overnight while in the US, same programs same everything, it was loke 4 or 5%. So you might have something there.

Utini

Dec 25, 2010
www.whymacsucks.com
www.whymacsucks.com
I remember when traveling to Europe my P5 (or P4 perhaps it was long ago) drained like 20% overnight while in the US, same programs same everything, it was loke 4 or 5%. So you might have something there.

Well US and EU are quite different (some brands/models even sell the same device as US model and as EU model). I think the frequency bands are different and maybe other things?

But if this is caused simply because I am in the neighbor country in which the P6 is not being officially sold...well **** google and my carrier then.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks to
    @Freak07
    @Lughnasadh
    @RetroTech07
    @TNSMANI
    @craznazn

Fix:

Fix:
    Reboot the phone

• Install BBS
    • Grant all permissions
    • Reboot phone
    In general, Naptime, and similar apps, have not really been needed since Android 10. In my experience, they can do more harm than good, for what it's worth. A properly running OS with properly running apps shouldn't need apps like this nowadays. If you feel the need to use apps like this then something else is wrong. These types of apps only address the symptom, not the cause (Rocky Horror flashback 🙃).

Just my opinion...

• Install BBS
    • Grant all permissions
    • Reboot phone

Thanks to
    @Freak07
    @Lughnasadh
    @RetroTech07
    @TNSMANI
    @craznazn

Fix:

Fix:
    Reboot the phone

I intend to do so. Will get released in one week for Pixel 6 Pro. So I still have to wait ;-)