KPPD - Configure post-processing settings of your display! [2015/08/09]

savoca

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
Hello all! If you're familiar with KCAL and suffer from symptoms such as a locked bootloader or non-loadable kernel modules then you may be interested in KCAL Post-Processing Daemon, or KPPD - the all-in-one display tuning tool that you can use to customize your color calibration on the fly!

This does NOT require an unlocked bootloader, custom kernel, or even a kernel that supports module loading, just run the daemon and you're good to go!

To install on a device with a locked bootloader, you'll need to download the kppd release below, and unpack it to prep for some adb fun... (If you have TWRP, you can also flash this in recovery)
Code:
adb push /path/to/kppd /data/local/tmp/
adb push /path/to/postproc.conf /data/local/tmp/
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system
cp /data/local/tmp/kppd /system/bin/
cp /data/local/tmp/postproc.conf /system/etc/
chmod 0755 /system/bin/kppd
chmod 0644 /system/etc/postproc.conf
reboot
Now at this point, you can use any scripting app to start the daemon on boot, I use ROM Toolbox... http://i.imgur.com/0juzfug.png

And you're done! To edit your display settings, just edit the postproc.conf file... http://i.imgur.com/pjOPbIr.png

Download KPPD

Last edited:

player911

Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
This is amazing. Would it work for other LG tablets such as the LG X8.3 with the snapdragon 610?

My G4 is pretty decent but my tablet is super red. Once you get it setup, you constantly have to have Rom Toolbox installed to make this work or do you only need the app for the initial setup?

Reactions: corcgaigh

WACOMalt

Jul 31, 2009
I think I can answer the second part of this. The rom toolbox thing is just one of many ways to run this script on boot. But you will need SOMEthing to start it no matter what. This could be init script (I think that's what its called, which some roms have built in) Or any custom rom could include it by default.

So no, Rom toolbox isn't really necessary, its just the way he recommended to get it running on boot if you don't know another way.

savoca

Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
I am more curious to seen if it will work on my LG tablet. I'll just have to test it out. I guess worst case scenerio is you dont have it auto start on boot. If you mess it up you just reboot.
Yes it should work, however it depends on each device's version of the MDSS (Qualcomm display driver). If it doesn't work, let me know so I can add support for it.

probaina

Feb 27, 2010
I'm wondering if this would work on my G Flex 2 ? Is there any chance that it can break anything if it doesn't work?

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I've just installed it on my G Flex 2 and it works great. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: savoca

savoca

Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
I second this g4 question, any recommended values?
I'm using these right now: http://imgur.com/UKkOt7x

If you're editing the file at runtime, I recommend you use either FX File explorer or ES File Explorer to edit the config, root explorer and ROM toolbox editors delete the original file and rewrite a new one for some reason (maybe they can fix this in their apps) and kppd looses the original from the kernel.

dontbeweakvato

May 16, 2013
St louis
I'm using these right now: http://imgur.com/UKkOt7x

If you're editing the file at runtime, I recommend you use either FX File explorer or ES File Explorer to edit the config, root explorer and ROM toolbox editors delete the original file and rewrite a new one for some reason (maybe they can fix this in their apps) and kppd looses the original from the kernel.
"Error occurred while trying to save file. File will not be saved." - using es file explorer. I seem to not have issues with rom toolbox. What's the deal with it not saving after editing?

savoca

Oct 28, 2011
Pasadena
downloads.codefi.re
"Error occurred while trying to save file. File will not be saved." - using es file explorer. I seem to not have issues with rom toolbox. What's the deal with it not saving after editing?
Sounds like an issue with the app. You could always move the config file to somewhere on /data where you would have write access. Just point kppd to the config location in the init script.

Reactions: AlaskaLinuxUser