• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[krn.modules] cifs.ko module for Galaxy S3 Stock kernel

Search This thread

Gogolo2

Nov 30, 2011
AW: [krn.modules] cifs.ko module for Galaxy S3 Stock kernel

From 4.1 on kallsysm is restricted. Set this before:

# cat /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
# cat /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict

Afterwards you should set it back to 2, because it was implemented as a security measure.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

I had better results streaming with smanager and this script:

insmod /system/xbin/lib/md4.ko
insmod /system/xbin/lib/cifs.ko
insmod /system/xbin/lib/nls_utf8.ko
mount -t cifs -o username=myname,password=mypassword,rw,iocharset=utf8,directio,maxbufsize=130048 //10.0.0.1/usb_storage /sdcard/medien

You also have automount at boot.

Last edited:

Gogolo2

Nov 30, 2011
AW: [krn.modules] cifs.ko module for Galaxy S3 Stock kernel

No that was on my s1. I adapted the path for s3 but the cifs.ko doesnt fit. Thanks thats very kind of you!

twoch

Jun 5, 2009
Hi,

I need modules for 2.6.34 kernel: md4.ko, cifs.ko, nls_utf8.ko (goclever android box 500, ICS 4.0.3). Have problems with PL chars in folders and files which make them unreadable (iocharset=iso8 fail). Can anyone compile them for me?

Best regards, TW

viulian

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 6, 2011
hex.ro
I have added two more releases on the first page, for kernels:

3.0.31-566833
3.0.31-742798

I will also build it for kernel 171637 (which apparently is the kernel number for the 4.2.1 beta I9300XXELLA) please watch later.

For JB Kernel 3.0.31-566833

cifs_md4-566833.tar.gz

Install

a) copy cifs_s3.tar.gz to your /sdcard folder
a) create folder /system/xbin/lib (after you remount your /system as read/write)
b) unpack the tar into that folder
c) execute script load_cifs.sh

Code:
cd /system/xbin/lib
tar xf /sdcard/cifs_s3.tar.gz 
./load_cifs.sh

Hi, i downloaded the above module and extracted the tar to the right path.

Where can i find the script and how can i execute it.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Anyone Alive here????:confused::confused:

Last edited:
Hi there i just solved my problem with the cifs.ko by accident. :cool: :beer:

Some tip for all of you who have problems loading the cifs.ko with Mount Manager or cifs manager.

Make sure you copied the cifs.ko and md4.ko to system/lib/modules.
Then with a root explorer check that permissions of all three folders system, lib and modules are at least set to
"rwxr-xr-x"
On some stock roms (like mine; German DBT) permissions are set otherwise. I don't know why this is so, but that's the reason why Mount Manager or cifs manager can't even find or load the modules.
Load_cifs.sh is not needed when using Mount Manager and permissions set right.

Thanks viulian for your help on pm :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since I have received the JB update, I have rebuilt the cifs.ko module for my kernel version 3.0.31-256827 as well as 3.0.31-204919
    If you have other kernel versions, please let me know and I will try to build the modules for that specific version.

Good news is that patchs3k is not needed anymore! Samsung did the right thing and we don't need to patch the kernel at runtime.

Per @jfrm request, UTF-8 module is now included but DO NOT FORGET to add iocharset=utf8 as options when defining the share in CifsManager.

Screenshot_2012-06-07-21-01-56.png

Download

Use at your own risk!

For JB Kernel 3.0.31-368423

cifs_md4-368423.tar.gz

For JB Kernel 3.0.31-256827:

cifs_md4-256827.tar.gz

For JB Kernel 3.0.31-204919

cifs_md4-204919.tar.gz

For JB Kernel 3.0.31-566833

cifs_md4-566833.tar.gz

For JB Kernel 3.0.31-742798

cifs_md4-742798.tar.gz

------
    Old topic below, related to the 4.0.1 versions / firmware

Attached you will find a bundle (including the cifs.ko module) that allows you to mount Samba shares on your Galaxy S3 phone. md4.ko module is also included.
    You do not need to flash a different kernel, it works with the stock one!

Supported firmwares: XXALE8, XXALEF, ZSALED

Install

a) copy cifs_s3.tar.gz to your /sdcard folder
    a) create folder /system/xbin/lib (after you remount your /system as read/write)
    b) unpack the tar into that folder
    c) execute script load_cifs.sh

Code:
    cd /system/xbin/lib
    tar xf /sdcard/cifs_s3.tar.gz 
    ./load_cifs.sh

The archive includes the patchs3k executable I have created that changes the live stock kernel to accept any module.
    Without running the patchs3k file, no modules can be inserted ...
    It means that you cannot use tools that insert the modules at reboot since they will fail if patchs3k is not executed before that.

For this, you will find the load_cifs.sh which is already written so that it can be executed from Script Manager at boot / as super user.

Then you need to use CifsManager (or other mount managers) to mount everything you want

Download

Use at your own risk!

For firmware: XXALE8, XXALEF

cifs_s3.tar.gz

For firmware: ZSALED

cifs_s3.ZSALED.tar.gz
    ZSALED can't use it.
    Unfortunatly, when I try to run insmod, I get this: insmod: init_module '/system/xbin/lib/cifs.ko' failed (Exec format error)
    on firmwares: XXALEF works,
    Thank you so much!
    tun.ko was my first choice before starting :) but I was surprised to see that is already precompiled in the stock kernel.

You can just install the OpenVPN installer and Settings apps, copy over your certificates and so on and it will work.
    Hello guys,

I will shortly put a tutorial on how you can send me the details which would help create the patch.