Lagging and Choppiness after One UI 4.0 Update in Samsung S20 Ultra

Search This thread

maxi65

Dec 28, 2014
Faisalabad
Greetings,
Did anyone find the present issues with ONE UI 4.0 update in Galaxy S20 Ultra?
Well for me, After updating to android 12, my device has started to lag, mostly while switching windows, i mean apps and while pulling down the task bar for notifications and quick settings. Even there is a visible decrease in the overall performance.
Fixes that i have tried are, changing between different settings, such as toggling 120Hz back 60Hz and then back to 120Hz, changing color temprature to vivid then back to normal and then back to vivid plus switching off the blur in task bar by going into Accessibility settings > Visibility Enhancements > Reduce transparency and blur but nothing has worked so far. As a last resort to fix this problem, i have also reset it to factory, little improvement though but unsatisfactory.
What could be the possible issue and What could fix this?

Reactions: agentsandy007

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
You did a factory reset... 12 is a dud.
Not going to candy coat it as many have wanted to roll back from it. You can either do that, wait for a patch or play with it and try to find a work arounds. Try disabling all animations, etc in Developer options.

On my N10+'s one is 9, the other 10 and there they will stay.

Goldenrooster

Oct 1, 2011
I have the very same issues after updating my S20 5G to One UI 4.0 Android 12. Tried everything without improvement. Rebooting te phone helps a bit for at most 24 hours, after which the phone is too laggy and stuttering again to work with...

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I have the very same issues after updating my S20 5G to One UI 4.0 Android 12. Tried everything without improvement. Rebooting te phone helps a bit for at most 24 hours, after which the phone is too laggy and stuttering again to work with...
Is it a memory leak? What's ram usage look like when it acts up? What apks or services are running? How much memory are they using? What's using a lot a battery and/or bandwidth?
Play with it... Adroids wuv attention.

I can go for many days without a reboot on my N10+'s, most of the times I reboot as an afterthought rather than a necessity. The Android OS should be very stable... not running like bloody Vista🤣

Reactions: agentsandy007

maxi65

Dec 28, 2014
Faisalabad
Is it a memory leak? What's ram usage look like when it acts up? What apks or services are running? How much memory are they using? What's using a lot a battery and/or bandwidth?

I can go for many days without a reboot on my N10+'s, most of the times I reboot as an afterthought rather than a necessity. The Android OS should be very stable... not running like bloody Vista🤣
The reason is still unknown.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
The reason is still unknown.
You need to start looking for clues.
They are there in Device Care and Developer options showing what's cached, running and stats on memory usage. Seeing what's accessing the internet and how often is another tool to use. I also use 3rd party apps like Package Disabler to troubleshoot.
That's how I find almost everything that misbehaves on an Android.

I never upgrade an OS if it is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission. As I have already spent a lot of time to optimize it and find work arounds. Moreover I know how it should behave making malware easier to spot at the get go. I spend very little time on maintenance as such.

The current load on this phone will be 2 yo in June. That's the kind of stability the Android OS platform is capable of. If you're constantly mucking with the firmware and software you'll never realize this potential. Forget the Google update hype and go with what works... and always redundantly backup critical data.

Goldenrooster

Oct 1, 2011
Only thing that I can find is that RAM usage of Android System right after reboot is 14 MB, but after everything starts to lag and stutter (usually after 24 hrs) RAM usage is around 500 MB... Can't find any other strange behavior..

maxi65

Dec 28, 2014
Faisalabad
You need to start looking for clues.
They are there in Device Care and Developer options showing what's cached, running and stats on memory usage. Seeing what's accessing the internet and how often is another tool to use. I also use 3rd party apps like Package Disabler to troubleshoot.
That's how I find almost everything that misbehaves on an Android.

I never upgrade an OS if it is fast, stable and fulfilling its mission. As I have already spent a lot of time to optimize it and find work arounds. Moreover I know how it should behave making malware easier to spot at the get go. I spend very little time on maintenance as such.

The current load on this phone will be 2 yo in June. That's the kind of stability the Android OS platform is capable of. If you're constantly mucking with the firmware and software you'll never realize this potential. Forget the Google update hype and go with what works... and always redundantly backup critical data.
Ahan we went after the new features so updated.

Goldenrooster

Oct 1, 2011
I think usage of 500Mb can't effect the performance because it has 12 GB of RAM.
I found it in Developer Options under Active Services "RAM-Status¨ . All my other Android devices (phones and tablets) consistently indicate around 15 MB... Average Ram usage for Android OS (3 hours) indicates 1,8 GB...

maxi65

Dec 28, 2014
Faisalabad
I found it in Developer Options under Active Services "RAM-Status¨ . All my other Android devices (phones and tablets) consistently indicate around 15 MB... Average Ram usage for Android OS (3 hours) indicates 1,8 GB...
Looking at this screenshot, Very similar results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-181103_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-181103_Settings.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 45

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings,
    Did anyone find the present issues with ONE UI 4.0 update in Galaxy S20 Ultra?
    Well for me, After updating to android 12, my device has started to lag, mostly while switching windows, i mean apps and while pulling down the task bar for notifications and quick settings. Even there is a visible decrease in the overall performance.
    Fixes that i have tried are, changing between different settings, such as toggling 120Hz back 60Hz and then back to 120Hz, changing color temprature to vivid then back to normal and then back to vivid plus switching off the blur in task bar by going into Accessibility settings > Visibility Enhancements > Reduce transparency and blur but nothing has worked so far. As a last resort to fix this problem, i have also reset it to factory, little improvement though but unsatisfactory.
    What could be the possible issue and What could fix this?

Cheers, i think i have found a fix for all this stuttery behaviour of my phone 😂. I don't know whether it is a permanent one or temprary but you guys have to give it a try.
    All i did, " First, I downloaded Yellow high contrast them, applied it then Long press on Homescreen>Go to Homescreen Settings>Homescreen Layout>Homescreen only>Hit Apply" and see if it works or not.
    Although i have tried few other things before this and i don't know wheher those things have contributed anything or not but i can post them here as well if above mentioned trick doesn't work.
    Interesting. Probably is permanent.
    Is this the only theme that works?
    What about other high contrast themes?
    Maybe Samsung has recently updated -that- theme... what a mess.
    Eventually... Samsung will roll out a fix🤣
    Good idea. I think i should more themes to find out more.
    I have actually tried a new theme named as a Pixel theme and it is quite beautiful smooth. So i conclude the problem is either with the UI or the themes itself.