Latest Magisk messed up my boot. Can I recover without losing everything?

Search This thread

spinergist

Mar 8, 2021
What exactly do you want to do?
Can you boot into the system?
Is your phone rooted?

I want to decrypt my data and get it backed up using twrp. After that, I'm hoping I can follow the steps you listed above.
Yes my phone is rooted, had OxygenOS with Magisk v21.4 and custom recovery twrp.

ghost323

Mar 30, 2016
Ok I understand.
Maybe there is a problem with the drivers?
When I search for the error you have indicated, results appear that point to this problem.

spinergist

Mar 8, 2021
Ok I understand.
Maybe there is a problem with the drivers?
When I search for the error you have indicated, results appear that point to this problem.

No driver issue, as far as I can tell. "fastboot devices" recognises the phone.

My guess is that boot.img was messed up by magisk and thus twrp also became inaccessible. I don't understand it enough to know if flashing the stock boot.img as you said earlier would let me decrypt my data afterwards with the reflashing of twrp and the older magisk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Twrp --> flash your boot.img (with "payload dumper" it can be extracted from the full OTA update file)
    Then flash twrp.zip, reboot in to twrp, flash magisk.zip (21.4 or 22), wipe dalvik cache
    Reboot and provit ;-)

Ps: for magisk22, rename magisk22.apk to magisk22.zip
    Thanks, @ghost323 ! You're a lifesaver!

That is exactly the answer I was looking for, and my OP7P is operational again without any issues.

I'm bookmarking this page, and also putting some notes into my Android stuff for future reference ... Though, I hope I don't have to reference it again. :D

¿GJ?
    Twrp --> flash your boot.img (with "payload dumper" it can be extracted from the full OTA update file)
    Then flash twrp.zip, reboot in to twrp, flash magisk.zip (21.4 or 22), wipe dalvik cache
    Reboot and provit ;-)

Ps: for magisk22, rename magisk22.apk to magisk22.zip

Not all super heroes wear capes! Thank you so much!
    As long as twrp does not require a pin when starting, this partition is encrypted. But why is there no prompt to enter a pin ?! This is really stupid! When I'm at home, I'll deal with it a little. Maybe I'll find something useful about it.
    I've searched a little, but haven't found anything useful yet. Are you using the latest twrp?