Question [Latest OOS C.44 EU] Rooting via Magisk/fastboot not working

Search This thread

xmff00

Nov 19, 2013
Hello all,

yesterday I've updated to latest OOS LE2123_11.C.44_1440_202201182111 (Android 12). I was previously on root, so I've updated the phone via full 4GB OTA through the system updater.

Everything was fine until I've tried to root by following these steps:

ATTENTION: if you're a Googler and willing to root the OPO 9 Pro, don't use the steps below, because they lead to a soft-bricked phone! (at least, for me)
  1. Download the full OTA via Oxygen Updater
  2. Extract the boot.img (192MB) via Payload Dumper (and I was confused, because the previous Android 11 boot.img was exactly the half in size)
  3. Let the phone update itself
  4. Throw the boot.img inside Magisk and create a patched boot.img
  5. Flash the pathed boot image via fastboot with "fastboot flash boot Magisk_patched_blabla.img"
The phone was refusing to boot, as it was automatically booting in Fastboot mode.
So I've reflashed the patched IMG file, and the phone switched to Qualcomm Crashdump mode :oops:
Then, don't ask me how, I've managed to get it back to fastboot mode. Searched XDA for a clean and tested boot.img, understood that the boot contains 2 slots A/B, set the active boot slot to A, flashed the boot.img downloaded before, and the phone turned back to life.

So...what am I doing wrong? Maybe everything? o_O

What are the correct steps to root the phone?

Thank you in advance

holydemon

Dec 9, 2020

terlynn4

Aug 18, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Nexus 9
OnePlus 9 Pro
Missed this one...

How come some people is actually running on the rooted OOS C.44 EU? Are they using a particular version of a patched boot.img that's floating underground? :LOL:
Your post doesn't specify which version of magisk you're using, unless I overlooked it. If you're not using alpha already, use alpha. And make sure you also patch the boot.img with alpha and not a different version than you're trying to install. A couple of people have said canary works now (at least for C40), but I can't confirm whether it still works on C44. Stable doesn't work (yet).

jruizdesign

Jun 15, 2012
whittier
OnePlus 9 Pro
Your post doesn't specify which version of magisk you're using, unless I overlooked it. If you're not using alpha already, use alpha. And make sure you also patch the boot.img with alpha and not a different version than you're trying to install. A couple of people have said canary works now (at least for C40), but I can't confirm whether it still works on C44. Stable doesn't work (yet).
New stable V24 is released. Works great

Reactions: terlynn4

moolee

May 2, 2012
Karachi
OnePlus 9 Pro
I've tried to use this method but when I try to flash using the 'fastboot boot magisk_boot.img' I get the error "failed - command boot not recognized"

ADB shows the 'sending' command but then nothing happens other than error mentioned above. I've tried to use both the patched and unpatched images but same error. No idea how to proceed from here

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New stable V24 is released. Works great