Latest OTA update unable to install - produced "Error" screen on reboot

Search This thread

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I'm also having the same exact problem!

jd1639: Are you sure that will not wipe the data?

Just flashing the system and boot images does not wipe your device. However, you need to have your bootloader unlocked. If it isn't, unlocking the bootloader does wipe your device. As always, I strongly recommend you back up your device, off the device, before doing anything. Stuff happens sometimes and better safe than sorry.

cj182

Mar 6, 2008
I could figure out more details of the error in last_log file, where it says:
Code:
Finding update package…
opening update package…
Installing update…
Verifying current system…
[U]“/system/bin/debuggerd”[/U] has unexpected contents.
E:Eorror in @/cache/recovery/block.map (Status 7)

Installation aborted.
OTA failed!

For whatever reason it seems the debuggerd folder has been modified. (it should be considered that my device is unrooted and has a locked bootloader)
Is there a way to restore the original debuggerd folder without wiping the data?

Thanks for answering,
cj182

Guatiao

Feb 22, 2012
Having the same issue with my other phone (TMo N5) since May, I have not been able to install any more recent updates, including the Sept. 8 one. TMo advises on doing a master reset to install the recent updates. Are there any other options? Thanks!

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Having the same issue with my other phone (TMo N5) since May, I have not been able to install any more recent updates, including the Sept. 8 one. TMo advises on doing a master reset to install the recent updates. Are there any other options? Thanks!

Are you rooted? OTA's won't work. You need to flash the system and boot images from from the factory image with fastboot.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Guatiao

Feb 22, 2012
No, not rooted, the OTA is already available on the phone, but the error while installing keeps happening.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
No, not rooted, the OTA is already available on the phone, but the error while installing keeps happening.

Alright, is your bootloader unlocked? If it is I'd still flash the system and boot images using fastboot. If you've modified any system images, rooted, or put a custom recovery on your device the OTA will not work. I don't know if any of that describes your device but if your bootloader is unlocked flashing those images will update you. CAUTION, unlocking your bootloader will wipe your device.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Guatiao

Guatiao

Feb 22, 2012
Alright, is your bootloader unlocked? If it is I'd still flash the system and boot images using fastboot. If you've modified any system images, rooted, or put a custom recovery on your device the OTA will not work. I don't know if any of that describes your device but if your bootloader is unlocked flashing those images will update you. CAUTION, unlocking your bootloader will wipe your device.

I just checked and the bootloader is locked. As far as modifying any system images or files, no, at least not manually, unless an app or the last OTA I could install did it. No custom recovery either.

I guess doing a master reset directly on the phone would not necessarily help, right? I'm doing backups of all stuff before proceeding either way (fastboot or phone reset).

Thanks for your input!

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I just checked and the bootloader is locked. As far as modifying any system images or files, no, at least not manually, unless an app or the last OTA I could install did it. No custom recovery either.

I guess doing a master reset directly on the phone would not necessarily help, right? I'm doing backups of all stuff before proceeding either way (fastboot or phone reset).

Thanks for your input!

If the OTA is not working this is what I'd do:

1. Let Google back up everything to the cloud, settings, backup & reset. Backup everything in /sdcard off your device. Copy and paste it to your pc

2. See this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47156064. You'll want to install fastboot to your pc. Then unlock your bootloader, this will wipe your device

3. Flash the latest factory image. Google nexus 5 factory image. You'll download a .tgz file. See the link I posted and use the long method.

4. Once flashed boot up and let Google restore your apps. Then copy and paste the files from /sdcard back to your device

Note, that after booting up you'll want to go into settings, about phone and tap on build number 7 times to unlock developer options. Then go into that and enable usb debugging. That'll allow you to copy files to your device from your pc.

Guatiao

Feb 22, 2012
Thanks a lot for such detailed steps, I'll definitely save this message for reference if no other method is able to fix my issue, thanks!!

CyberSpuds

Feb 1, 2008
Hey all,
I'm having this exact problem too. I can share a bit of background and maybe others have a similar situation...
A few months ago I had rooted my Nexus 5 and installed the TWRP custom recovery when I was running 5.1.0 (LMY47D). Then Google released 5.1.1 LMY48B and it would not install because of me having TWRP installed and it requires the stock recovery as Tylex mentioned. After a couple of months of living with this annoying update message I finally got around to researching how to manually get updated to 5.1.1. After finding various approaches and options, I followed the instructions documented by Aaron Hastings (Google "aaron hastings updating 5.1.0 nexus 5") and this worked. I too didn't want to wipe and reinstall everything, and I was glad that I did NOT have to do that. About an hour after I was updated to 5.1.1, I saw the message appear again about another system update, and when I tried to install it (10.1 MB, LMY48I) it ran into the error that TomCatullo listed.

Since I just went through flashing the system.img and boot.img using fastboot for LMY48B on Friday and the process is still clear in my mind, I'm going to go ahead now and flash those for LMY48I now. I'll let you know how it goes. Note that I did re-root my phone using CF-Auto-Root which is linked near the bottom of Aaron Hastings instructions, and I wonder if that created the issue which the OTA update didn't like. Is it just the fact that I'm rooted at all like jd1639 stated? Also I see that LMY48M is out as well and and so after I get onto LMY48I, we will see if it prompts me to update OTA to LMY48M (I expect it to.) This time I'm not going to re-root with CF-Auto-Root but just wait a bit for the OTA update prompt and see if it installs cleanly or also runs into an error. When I followed Aaron's instructions I did not do the FULL factory install (flash-all.bat) that is part of the factory image, but only extracted and flashed the individual image files: radio, recovery, boot, and system.img. I didn't want to wipe and reinstall everything which I assume the flash-all FULL image install would require. That might be why the OTA update for LMY48I didn't install correctly, if there was still some remnants around of an older image that didn't get reflashed.

Anyway I will experiment a bit and post my findings here, if others find that helpful.

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

Oh also as I understand it, if your bootloader is unlocked you can install images without wiping, but the process of going from locked to unlocked will require a wipe. That is a security measure. Others with more experience than me can correct me here.

Last edited:

CyberSpuds

Feb 1, 2008
Ok I updated to LMY48I by Fastboot flashing recovery, boot, and system. I did not re-root yet, but the phone is not prompting me yet about any newer OTA updates. I went into Settings / About phone / System updates and checked for an update and it says it is up to date. Build number confirms I am running LMY48I. I expected to get a prompt about installing another system update OTA for LMY48M, but I haven't seen it yet, so I'm a little puzzled. I don't need to re-root at this time, so I'm just going to leave things as-is until the next OTA update and see if that installs OK. I'd rather not wipe the phone totally and reinstall the full factory image and all my apps and data, as otherwise the phone is running fine.

I'm just curious if this error with OTA updates was simply because I was rooted, or because of some other system file which was changed in the process of originally installing TWRP. That should have been rectified when I updated to 5.1.1 with the factory bootloader, so I'd be surprised if the next OTA update has an error installing.

CyberSpuds

Feb 1, 2008
So after a couple of days, I have in fact received the OTA update message for LMY48M (16 MB). I applied it successfully (not manually via Fastboot, but just let Android install it) and it worked. As mentioned before I did not root my phone after installing LMY48I so that I could find out if there was something else preventing OTA updates from installing, and there was no problem.

My main reason for rooting originally was so that I could get around the hotspot limitation as I'm on Sprint. Prior to rooting and fixing the hotspot configuration, I couldn't use my hotspot because I needed a plan from Sprint to support that. But I'm on a corporate plan and our plan manager says we have tons of shared data available with lots of users who don't use their allotted data plans. FYI I ordered my Nexus directly from Google, not from Sprint, and then I had the Sprint store install a SIM and port my number from my prior Sprint phone. So that's likely when the hotspot limitation was applied originally. Anyway it's working great now and I can use my phone as a hotspot without needing any additional Sprint plan, and I don't have to keep my phone rooted to do that either.

Amogh08

Jul 1, 2015
If the OTA is not working this is what I'd do:

1. Let Google back up everything to the cloud, settings, backup & reset. Backup everything in /sdcard off your device. Copy and paste it to your pc

2. See this, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=47156064. You'll want to install fastboot to your pc. Then unlock your bootloader, this will wipe your device

3. Flash the latest factory image. Google nexus 5 factory image. You'll download a .tgz file. See the link I posted and use the long method.

4. Once flashed boot up and let Google restore your apps. Then copy and paste the files from /sdcard back to your device

Note, that after booting up you'll want to go into settings, about phone and tap on build number 7 times to unlock developer options. Then go into that and enable usb debugging. That'll allow you to copy files to your device from your pc.

Hey, Even my Nexus 5 (Bootloader Unlocked) is facing the same problem, tried doing this method, the long one. the bootloader image file and the radio image file are flashed but when i try to flash the "update image-hammerhead-lym48m.zip" i get this error:

C:\Users\Amruta & Amogh\Desktop\UnrootNexus5\UnrootNexus5>fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-lmy48m.zip
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1046348528 bytes
error: update package missing system.img

Please tell me where am i going wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I'm coming back to admit that I still haven't attempted the solution proposed by jd1639, with the reason being that I don't quite have the time to deal with flashing and clean-wiping my phone, then setting everything up again. I know it's a simple process, but right now I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize my having a working phone. I doubt there's any better option than flashing the latest update, however, so I'm waiting until I have the time and the patience to do so.

I must say that I'm still curious as to why something like this would happen. I'm inclined to assume that it is a problem with my phone in particular, since I haven't been able to find any other complaints about this problem with this particular OTA update (although cj182 seems to be having the same problem as I am). I suppose anything can go wrong with a system update, especially on a Linux-based system, but I would like to figure out why such a small and seemingly inconsequential update would fail to install on my phone when past updates of much larger sizes and complexity seemed to install without issue.

I must admit that I'm interested in the answer to this question, as well, though my intuition tells me that the answer is no because I would think that Google releases each OTA update assuming that the device is on the latest version of Android up until that point. I do not know if Google releases separate updates that would allow one to "skip" a version in between a previous version and the latest, though I may certainly be incorrect.

If your bootloader is unlocked just flashing the system and boot images does not wipe your device. If everything goes right there will be no re-setting up required, you will have to re-root if you're rooted but that's just a matter of flashing supersu in a custom recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app