• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Latest Update - Facial Recognition Worse?

Search This thread

JDM9499

Jul 22, 2010
When I first got the phone yesterday, unlocking the phone was crazy fast with the facial recognition. This morning, I got the latest software update, and now, it's basically unusable. Has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: pmkeitt

bossg4

Jul 18, 2010
Austin
When I first got the phone yesterday, unlocking the phone was crazy fast with the facial recognition. This morning, I got the latest software update, and now, it's basically unusable. Has anyone else experienced this?
The update was to improve the security. You may need to resetup. They made it more sensitive so it can't be unlocked with a pic as easily

JDM9499

Jul 22, 2010
The update was to improve the security. You may need to resetup. They made it more sensitive so it can't be unlocked with a pic as easily

After the update, it was a night and day difference. I tried registering my face again multiple times, and it worked maybe 3-10 times. It was terrible. I just reset my device though after I registering another facial input, and it's back to how it was - super fast. I'll continue to monitor if it reverts back to being unusable.

kuulhus

Dec 14, 2009
Same issue. The first day I got my phone I was actually bragging to everyone how amazing and fast the face unlock was. After the update it sucks, to the point where I just can't use it. I did register my face again multiple times as well.

JDM9499

Jul 22, 2010
Same issue. The first day I got my phone I was actually bragging to everyone how amazing and fast the face unlock was. After the update it sucks, to the point where I just can't use it. I did register my face again multiple times as well.

It's back to be crap now. After I reset the phone, it was working great again, but now not so much. I even get a pop-up sometimes saying to clean the lens!! It's spotless!

The iris scanner now is what the facial recognition WAS before the update. So, I'll start using that until this is figured out and solved because at least facial recognition works with glasses on.

eniorodriig

Feb 22, 2016
Try registering your face much closer , cover most of it but not 100%, leave a gap of 2 or 3 cm. Also have you tried turning on the "faster recognition" option?

kuulhus

Dec 14, 2009
It's back to be crap now. After I reset the phone, it was working great again, but now not so much. I even get a pop-up sometimes saying to clean the lens!! It's spotless!

The iris scanner now is what the facial recognition WAS before the update. So, I'll start using that until this is figured out and solved because at least facial recognition works with glasses on.

Yup using the iris scanner as well now. Surprisingly faster than the first day which is weird, but still not as fast as face unlock :(. I wonder which takes more battery

eniorodriig

Feb 22, 2016
Where's the faster recognition setting

Settings -> Lock Screen and Security -> Face Recognition

You should be able to find the "Faster Recognition" option in there. I believe this came bundled with an update i received today, i cannot remember also having this option before. Take a look there and make sure the phone is up to date.

I believe there is improvement to be made here, hopefully once we start rooting this puppy , someone can come along and tweak a few settings.

ITNV

Jun 26, 2008
Settings -> Lock Screen and Security -> Face Recognition

You should be able to find the "Faster Recognition" option in there. I believe this came bundled with an update i received today, i cannot remember also having this option before. Take a look there and make sure the phone is up to date.

AT&T user here. Got the OTA update yesterday that made the facial recognition terrible and I don't have the "Faster Recognition" option.

EDIT: I should also mention that I have redone the facial setup multiple times since the update and it's still noticeably worse than before the update.

Last edited:

tim2london

Mar 12, 2013
how safe is the iris scanner - from a medical POV
when activating it - you get loads of disclaimers including one saying to always keep at least 8 inch between eyes and phone to prevent retina damage - i mean WTF!!!!!!
has anyone looked into this ****?

woodydog

May 19, 2012
OHIO
how safe is the iris scanner - from a medical POV
when activating it - you get loads of disclaimers including one saying to always keep at least 8 inch between eyes and phone to prevent retina damage - i mean WTF!!!!!!
has anyone looked into this ****?
Yeah I saw the warning that scared me. I'm a delivery driver and drive around 350mi a day Monday- Friday can't have my eyes damaged. Plus just payed 4500 for lasic

alexkaye

Feb 16, 2015
Yeah since the Att update face recognition doesn't work at all for me, wellaybe 1 time out if 10. Annoying. I'm not bothered someone could use a photo of me to unlock. If my phone is ever out of my possession for that long, I'm disabling it remotely anyway

vinscuzzy

Mar 5, 2006
Yep, got my s8 last night, was showing my GF how incredible facial recognition was, THEN I applied the update. Doesn't work at all, the fingerprint scanner is in the worst possible place, and I wear glasses so the iris scanner won't work for me. I can't believe I'm starting to miss the fingerprint scanner on the S7.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.