• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Latest Update - Facial Recognition Worse?

Search This thread

eniorodriig

Feb 22, 2016
I believe the major update coming this week should add the "faster recognition" option for everyone. I have no idea why only the AQDD build has this option but other builds don't. This option greatly improved my face recognition and hopefully Iris should get some improvements aswell with this update. So let's strap in and hope this update fixes these major issues that users are reporting.

djcyph

Nov 23, 2007
Are you guys sure you dont mean the recognize face when screen turned on option when​ you say faster recognition? That works instantly but I don't want it unlocked instantly, I like looking a notifications on lock screen.

Klowery

Apr 27, 2017
s8+ Facial Recognition Not Working

Adding my voice to those having problems with facial recognition.
Out of the box it worked great. After the Tmobile update it isn't working at all.
Very frustrating.

kppanic

Oct 24, 2010
Yep, got my s8 last night, was showing my GF how incredible facial recognition was, THEN I applied the update. Doesn't work at all, the fingerprint scanner is in the worst possible place, and I wear glasses so the iris scanner won't work for me. I can't believe I'm starting to miss the fingerprint scanner on the S7.

I wear glasses (and pretty thick ones at that) and iris scanner works 100% of the time. Funny enough, face recog from day 1 didn't really work for me (like worked 2 out of 5 times and even then I have to fiddle with angles and distance)

So I use iris or fingerprint and i can't go back to anything else anymore now.

Edit: Canadian Rogers variant. Haven't checked on the new update yet.

Last edited:

vinscuzzy

Mar 5, 2006
I wear glasses (and pretty thick ones at that) and iris scanner works 100% of the time. Funny enough, face recog from day 1 didn't really work for me (like worked 2 out of 5 times and even then I have to fiddle with angles and distance)

So I use iris or fingerprint and i can't go back to anything else anymore now.

Edit: Canadian Rogers variant. Haven't checked on the new update yet.
Weird, I've always wondered if maybe some coating on my glasses is the problem. I had the MS 950xl before the S8, which also has retina scanning, and it didn't work when I wore my glasses.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When I first got the phone yesterday, unlocking the phone was crazy fast with the facial recognition. This morning, I got the latest software update, and now, it's basically unusable. Has anyone else experienced this?