• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Latest VZW OTA/Firmware update 4.4.3 removes 'New APN' setting.

Search This thread

rudyo78427

Mar 13, 2013
san jose
I noticed that under Network settings for Global or GSM, the New APN feature to manually add an APN for different sim is gone. Looks like it's an auto detect feature now. I travel overseas for business alot and use pre-paid SIM cards. Not all prepaid sim cards have the data APN coded. I just found out on my trip here to Taiwan and couldn't get data on my phone because the option for adding the APN is no longer available. I tried multiple settings, different ROM's and no good. Only when I downgraded my firmware did the option come back. Glad I'm rooted, it sux, but had to downgrade and reflash back to the old 4.4.2 firmware/rUU and run custom ROM. Until this is addressed by verizon, there will be no way to manually add an APN.

rudyo78427

Mar 13, 2013
san jose
I noticed that under Network settings for Global or GSM, the New APN feature to manually add an APN for different sim is gone. Looks like it's an auto detect feature now. I travel overseas for business alot and use pre-paid SIM cards. Not all prepaid sim cards have the data APN coded. I just found out on my trip here to Taiwan and couldn't get data on my phone because the option for adding the APN is no longer available. I tried multiple settings, different ROM's and no good. Only when I downgraded my firmware did the option come back. Glad I'm rooted, it sux, but had to downgrade and reflash back to the old 4.4.2 firmware/rUU and run custom ROM. Until this is addressed by verizon, there will be no way to manually add an APN.

Adding Screen shots for reference from my testing on my device Using 4.4.2 firmware and SkyFall Rom 2.7 and 4.4.3 firmware running both SkyFall 3.2 and RKDN rom 1.4 & final version tested. :cowboy:

rudyo78427

Mar 13, 2013
san jose
Update: Figured the APN issue thing out

Thanks to member DOTTAT for giving me the direction I needed to get the APN assignment issue resolved. I just needed to do things differently for getting the APN to load up. Basically had to to to the 'Network Preferences' section to add the network my SIM cards are registered on. This is a long list to scroll through. After I selected the network, there is multiple options to add the network type (GSM,UMTS,LTE, etc.) Had to enable three different versions then reboot the phone. After, there were two APN's that automatically populated and I was able to edit. Thanks again to DOTTAT for the direction. :laugh::good:

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 10, 2011
york, pa
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Thanks to member DOTTAT for giving me the direction I needed to get the APN assignment issue resolved. I just needed to do things differently for getting the APN to load up. Basically had to to to the 'Network Preferences' section to add the network my SIM cards are registered on. This is a long list to scroll through. After I selected the network, there is multiple options to add the network type (GSM,UMTS,LTE, etc.) Had to enable three different versions then reboot the phone. After, there were two APN's that automatically populated and I was able to edit. Thanks again to DOTTAT for the direction. :laugh::good:
Sounds good man... Glad this will be useful for all. Might even take some guess work out of some of the weirder apns.

thewhiz7

May 13, 2008
Sounds good man... Glad this will be useful for all. Might even take some guess work out of some of the weirder apns.

I apologize but I did not see the steps to get the apn settings access. I've got the HTC One M7 for Verizon on 4.4.3 and can not change apn settings. What would the steps be? Thank you so much for any and all help.

Sep 17, 2011
The info is in the last couple posts.

I figured I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one... It seems I and many other Verizon M8 users have encountered the same problem:

I get no list of network APNs under "Network Preferences." There are zero entries, even though a message pops up to say the list is full.

I tried manually entering the MCC/MNC numbers for my carrier abroad (Claro Brazil) but this doesn't resolve the problem. I am stuck with only voice but no mobile data service.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Verizon tech support of course insists "just pop in the SIM and it should work automatically" as does the Brazilian carrier.