Launcher(any) lag fix

Search This thread

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
As mentioned here and here:
adding "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1" to /data/local.prop fixes the launcher redraw lag.

Documentation:
http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/wiki/FAQ
Due to limited memory home screen often takes several seconds to load. Luckily these phones allow root access. Issue the command "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >/data/local.prop" and reboot, to lock home screen in memory.

update:
it does seem to made a difference :)
Here are the commands: (batch file to do this here,post#5)
  1. Code:
    adb remount
    adb pull /system/build.prop .
  2. edit build.prop with a decent text editor and add these two lines a the end
    #fix for screen redraw lag
    ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
  3. Code:
    adb push build.prop /system/
    adb reboot

Last edited:

g4rb4g3

Jul 22, 2009
you could try
Code:
adb shell stop
adb shell setprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
adb shell start
if it works you just have to add ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 to build.prop.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
you could try
Code:
adb shell stop
adb shell setprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
adb shell start
if it works you just have to add ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 to build.prop.
tried:
Code:
adb shell stop
adb shell setprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ 1
adb shell start
My phone hot rebooted after the last command.
After it rebooted I ran
Code:
C:\Users\meeee>adb shell getprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ
Since its 4. I guess it did not stick.

Also tried setting it and immediately reading it, did not stick.
Code:
C:\Users\meeee>adb shell setprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ 1

C:\Users\meeee>adb shell getprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ

The setting stuck after putting it in build.prop, time to check if it made any difference...
Code:
C:\Users\meeee\Desktop>adb shell getprop ro.HOME_APP_ADJ

Last edited:

g4rb4g3

Jul 22, 2009
Don't reboot, try the commands and watch out if your problem got fixed. If it works like that you can add the line to build.prop.

rori~

Aug 21, 2009
Vienna
I made a little bat.file, which adds those 2 lines to your build.prop.

- put "Launcher_lag_fix.bat" in ..Android/tools/
- doubleklick
- and wait till reboot.

Attachments

• Launcher_lag_fix.zip
    290 bytes · Views: 623

Clarkster

Mar 23, 2007
Sooke
No one has posted yet what the command actually does. All it does is tell Android to try to keep the launcher in memory.

Shouldn't affect anything like the scrolling or any response while actually using the launcher, but will fix some lag for when going back home from any other app, as it doesn't have to re-launch the launcher if it was kicked out of memory.

Various options like this exist in some launchers, and I think Cyanogenmod has this option in the settings too. They are not all the same as this command though, so this may work better for some people while the other ways to do it may work better for others.

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
No one has posted yet what the command actually does. All it does is tell Android to try to keep the launcher in memory.
As per this it locks the 'screen' in memory. (maybe they mean the screen buffer)
Due to limited memory home screen often takes several seconds to load. Luckily these phones allow root access. Issue the command "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >/data/local.prop" and reboot, to lock home screen in memory.
Makes sense as I always have had launcher locked in memory before this and was still having my home screen redraw very slowly when I switched to it.

Last edited:

myth999

Nov 10, 2010
Mumbai
A good find :)
Btw just for info there were issues in apps from pre release system dump of arc
However if u r using apps from the retail dump 'they don't lag'

Sent from my U20i using XDA App

otivaeey

Oct 2, 2007
I made a little bat.file, which adds those 2 lines to your build.prop.

- put "Launcher_lag_fix.bat" in ..Android/tools/
- doubleklick
- and wait till reboot.

can you specify where is the android/tools mentioned, can it be found in all android phones?

Btw, I have seen ">>" and ">" then "space" /data/local.prop in other websites, while in the sipdroid article, it is exactly
"echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >/data/local.prop".

Last edited:

britoso

Jan 13, 2010
Orlando
can you specify where is the android/tools mentioned, can it be found in all android phones?

Btw, I have seen ">>" and ">" then "space" /data/local.prop in other websites, while in the sipdroid article, it is exactly
"echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >/data/local.prop".

adb comes with the sdk, for my windows machine its at
C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

in unix ">" sends text to a file (deletes whatever was there) and ">>" appends at the end of a file. If you're not familiar its easiest to just add the one line manually at the end of build.prop.

kippswanson

Nov 16, 2009
Fresno, CA
Hey y'all, wondering if anybody can help me with this:

I'm at work and don't have access to ADB. Can I use Root Explorer to copy the file to the sdcard, mount the card on a PC, edit it, and then use Root Explorer to copy it back again? Or will that cause issues with permissions or something?

EDIT: Well it's intellectual now, I nandroided back to my previous ROM due to some other issues. I'd still like to know though.:)

Last edited:

Dude Random21

Dec 27, 2010
Ya the root explorer thing should work but just to be safe I would nandroid first cause worst case scenario your phone freezes you pull battery boot into recovery restore nandroid. But seriously I don't think it will be a problem.

Dude Random21

Dec 27, 2010
Just out of curiosity I wanted to see if I could do this without a computer at all and turns out all you really need to do is download estrong (or any other root explorer), turn root explorer option on, mount /system and go and edit build.prop through the the built in note editor in estrong. So that might be an alternate solution for you kippswanson.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As mentioned here and here:
    adding "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1" to /data/local.prop fixes the launcher redraw lag.

Documentation:
    http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/wiki/FAQ

update:
    it does seem to made a difference :)
    Here are the commands: (batch file to do this here,post#5)
    1. Code:
      adb remount
      adb pull /system/build.prop .
    2. edit build.prop with a decent text editor and add these two lines a the end
      #fix for screen redraw lag
      ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1
    3. Code:
      adb push build.prop /system/
      adb reboot