• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question LE2120 unlock 5G EU Bands

Search This thread

giaur

Aug 27, 2013
If OnePlus is selling the same hardware everywhere, why are they deactivating certain frequencies in certain regions? And why are they saying these are impossible to reactivate in software? That is what they said when asked about the curtailed 5g capabilities of the Indian model.
It's all about license fees. Oneplus needs to pay for each unlocked band, so they made various phone variants with only certain bands unlocked. That can be changed in software, but permanent way is still unknown (every ota resets config to default)

Reactions: tathagatab

tathagatab

Dec 31, 2014
Kolkata
OnePlus 9 Pro
It's all about license fees. Oneplus needs to pay for each unlocked band, so they made various phone variants with only certain bands unlocked. That can be changed in software, but permanent way is still unknown (every ota resets config to default)

Thanks for the explanation. So OnePlus's statement that it cannot be unlocked in software is false? Do you know of a software method to unlock all 5G bands on the Indian model? We don't have 5G yet, but I'd like to see if it can be done.

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi

Carrier Policy is nothing about license fees - it's good policy file if it's updated and have properly configured due 4G limitations example. It's good have policy enable only bands and combinations used by connected network so the phone will not search all possible bands (take longer).

Thanks for the explanation. So OnePlus's statement that it cannot be unlocked in software is false? Do you know of a software method to unlock all 5G bands on the Indian model? We don't have 5G yet, but I'd like to see if it can be done.

If band/combination is not hardware defined combination 0xB826 then may not be possible. You can check on cacombos.com site supported combinations of hardware.

giaur

Aug 27, 2013
You can edit carrier policy and you will get 5G working, but next ota will revert your changes and you will need to edit again

giaur

Aug 27, 2013
If band/combination is not hardware defined combination 0xB826 then may not be possible. You can check on cacombos.com site supported combinations of hardware.
Yes, but hardware is the same for all phone variants, the only difference is certain bands are locked or not. Licence fee is the reason why various phone variants exist, and not only single one with all supported bands unlocked.

You can still edit carrier policy to unlock bands locked by default though. I wish I could make persistent changes that will survive ota, but curtently that does not seem to be possible, or maybe possible but nobody knows how to do that

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi
Yes, but hardware is the same for all phone variants, the only difference is certain bands are locked or not. Licence fee is the reason why various phone variants exist, and not only single one with all supported bands unlocked.

You can still edit carrier policy to unlock bands locked by default though. I wish I could make persistent changes that will survive ota, but curtently that does not seem to be possible, or maybe possible but nobody knows how to do that

The phone modem firmware is different and RF have different optimization for frequencies.

You can check different HW combos. These can read from 0xB0CD.

tathagatab

Dec 31, 2014
Kolkata
OnePlus 9 Pro

Please teach me how to edit carrier policy to unlock all 5G bands on the Indian model.

giaur

Aug 27, 2013

olkitu

Apr 7, 2015
Finland
truong.fi
I think you are wrong, n78 is unlocked by default and you can unlock any band supported by qualcomm modem. I have Chinese version and I am able to unlock all eu bands. And U got the same bands supported as EU version supports

How you have confirmed the band support? From UE Capability Information message? Would be nice look your phone modem log to see what bands and combinations you have enabled. Would you like submit log from your phone? https://cacombos.com/contributre -> OnePlus have instruction to get a log from your device.

OnePlus have Carrier Policy allow 5G band on specific network. Your network maybe configured n78 allowed by default in carrier policy. I have another project list 5G supported carriers and enabled 5G bands by default: https://olkitu.github.io/5G_CarrierPolicies/devices/OnePlus9 .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I can confirm it's fully possible to get 5G working with all bands. You don't even need to provide specific band numbers, you can use switch to enable all bands supported by hardware.

The only disadvantage is that changes are not persistent. Every OTA update reverts them and you need to modify again. Afaik there's no any know way to make persistent changes.
    If OnePlus is selling the same hardware everywhere, why are they deactivating certain frequencies in certain regions? And why are they saying these are impossible to reactivate in software? That is what they said when asked about the curtailed 5g capabilities of the Indian model. I'm confused.

Still, I'm happy to learn about TheBlackCat's happy ending.
    Regulations are a *****.
    If OnePlus is selling the same hardware everywhere, why are they deactivating certain frequencies in certain regions? And why are they saying these are impossible to reactivate in software? That is what they said when asked about the curtailed 5g capabilities of the Indian model.

Carrier Policy is nothing about license fees - it's good policy file if it's updated and have properly configured due 4G limitations example. It's good have policy enable only bands and combinations used by connected network so the phone will not search all possible bands (take longer).

You can edit carrier policy and you will get 5G working, but next ota will revert your changes and you will need to edit again
    Hi,
    my wife bought a brand new Oneplus 9 Pro as a present for me from Ebay.
    They say that is "European International Version", infact it runs Oxygen OS 11.2.6.6.LE15BA.

A few days after receiving the gift I asked my operator (Fastweb) to enable 5G because it doesn't Work. They say that 5G is enabled by default, so i inserted my SIM card in a friend's Samsung S21 and... all was ok.

After some research I realized that they had sold her the Chinese version that supports only few 5G bands (not the italian of course) flashed with the EU ROM.

Now the question is: it's possible to unlock missing 5G frequencies?
    I tried to modify carrier policy.xml, but with no results.

Pls, help me. :(
    Completely different? :eek:
    Theres a workaround. Try this:
    Sorry to hear that, hopefully it's within the seller's return period. It's usually a caveat emptor kinda thing, the listing will usually tell you exactly which base model it is and the bands listed. If the seller misrepresented the device as a LE2123, then you can probably dispute it. Otherwise, most sellers offer a return period with a restocking fee.

AFAIK, the older device's modem img is actually the entire baseband and not non-hlos, so it can drive the entire modem.
    Are you getting 5G in Zain KW? Even I get 5g in preferred network type. But when I select the option, I see the same image as highlighted. there is no option to select 5G
    Yes from *#*#4636*#*# .. OnePlus drive the networks to crazy.. there some people get option without signal 5g then other get 5g without option :) .. same a story on OnePlus 8 pro before fixed from updates
    Unfortunately she is not familiar with technology: she knew I wanted this phone, she searched for "Oneplus 9 Pro 12/256 International" and simply bought it.
    Doesn't matter, it's not her fault. Just return it. If they advertised it as an EU model but sold you the Chinese one, it's false advertising and you can return it. They tried to scam you by selling you a lesser model.