Leave Twitter - move to Mastodon

Search This thread

Clark Joseph Kent

Senior Mod / Moderator & RC-RT Committees Lead
Staff member
Dec 17, 2011
www.marines.com
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Meanwhile I'd a closer look. The concepts of Mastodon and in general the Fediverse but also Musk's statements and actions have convinced me. I've created my Mastodon account.
segundo-sol-novela.gif

:oops:;):p:ROFLMAO:

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm personally pretty happy that Twitter is under new ownership, as big changes are happening, mostly for the better. As far as monetization...Welcome to social media. That's how Big Tech makes its money - with user data. Any company's ultimate goal is to generate revenue, so I don't fault Musk for trying to make Twitter more profitable. Further, given how much of the online social sphere that Twitter dominates, I am very glad that political and ideological censorship is being reevaluated. As a general rule, I am skeptical of the idea that we need any more arbitration than simply keeping the peace. Here on XDA, we don't censor opinions; sunlight is the best disinfectant, so we don't try to silence people simply for being wrong. Granted, we try to keep the conversations appropriate for the intent of this forum - focused on personal electronics, software, and development - but we aren't going to actively combat "disinformation" as that is a slippery slope, and the truth is always exposed at some point or another. I don't think it is Twitter's, or any other tech company's responsibility to tell us what is true vs what isn't; we need to encourage open, diverse discussion, where everyone has the right to express their opinion even if they're wrong. If certain beliefs and opinions are actively suppressed, or certain information is intentionally withheld, it's not truly a free and open discussion.

But, a lot of this also comes from my personal belief that freedom and democracy go hand in hand; unless EVERYONE has an equal voice and equal liberty to believe and express what they want, it's not really fair, is it? So, that would be my primary concern for a platform like Mastodon: Is it truly neutral? Does it have a social, political, or ideological agenda? Does it actually promote freedom of opinions on their platform? Does it censor information, particularly when it comes to the press? I think the open source and decentralized nature of Mastodon is a good way to guarantee this.

That's just the "ethics and ideology" take.

As far as technology and quality...A big part of why decentralized services such as IRC lost popularity is because of their decentralization. What the Big Tech services excel at is user oriented features. Big companies are always going to have more resources to produce a better product. Mastodon on the other hand struggles with many of the same issues IRC did - where there are a lot of competing clients/softwares that provide similar services, all with different feature sets.

If someone were to come up with something that works similar to Reddit, where each sub is controlled more or less independently by its own moderators, but where the user experience is similar regardless of where you are on the platform...That would probably have a better chance of catching on. The big problem with Reddit is that the entire site is hosted in one place, and the admins/main moderators of the site often exhibit significant bias.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arealhooman

SigmundDroid

Sep 25, 2015
Fairphone
Samsung Galaxy S5
I'm personally pretty happy that Twitter is under new ownership
Me, too. Just because thus it's going downhill 😁
That's how Big Tech makes its money - with user data
I consider that a very big problem.
open source and decentralized nature of Mastodon is a good way to guarantee this.
Agreed and that's the point!
decentralized services such as IRC lost popularity is because of their decentralization
(that actually triggered my answer)
Not sure about that, I think it rather correlates with average "computer savviness" of internet users... and then, partially yes, some "herd effects" just like...
Big companies are always going to have more resources to produce a better product
...just like with whatsapp. A real simple program, so simple that it suits all ages from 5 to 95 but it lured all the people in, even the dumbest person can use whatsapp... and violates the privacy rights of an entire planet.

In other words: Not a better programm but merely the (temporary) winner of "what comes after fax"-competition (again "herd effect") with sufficient resources to stay alive (so far).
Here on XDA, we don't censor opinions; sunlight is the best disinfectant
I like it and it works! Thanks for that, XDA 😍

Reactions: V0latyle

jwoegerbauer

Dec 11, 2022
Freestate of Bavaria, Germany
"Freedom of expression is the foundation of a functioning democracy," recently stated E.Musk, who had repeatedly accused Twitter of restricting freedom of expression. He has begun to restrict the moderation of content - for example, in the fight against hate messages and the spread of misinformation.
This does not happen with Mastodon, because Mastodon is located in Germany and is therefore subject to both German law and European law regarding the posting of prohibited symbols, public incitement to crime, incitement of the people, depiction of violence, insulting religious beliefs, insult, defamation, slander, coercion, to name just a few.

bitpushr

XDA:Administrator
Joined Twitter in 2007. Followed a bunch of local people and also "techies". Went to a bunch of Tweetups and made friendships that lasted to today.

Since 2012 or so I feel like Twitter is a net negative on society. I stopped posting frequently a long time ago but still checked it out almost daily.

I moved over to Mastodon. Created an account in 2019 when it first came out, but didn't really see the point of focusing any energy on it until now. What I miss in Twitter is the community that evolved around it, just like why I love XDA. I just found a great community on there. Honestly, if XDA wants to start a Mastodon server, I would be behind that. Just show me that there is enough interest!

jwoegerbauer

Dec 11, 2022
Freestate of Bavaria, Germany
I just added Mastodon profile link to custom fields on our accounts. I also added a link to our profiles that should allow XDA to show up as a "Verified" link on Mastodon profiles.
AFAIK Mastodon servers actually are operated in
  • Europe
  • North America
  • South America
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Oceania
hence worldwide.

Personally could imagine XDA runs a Mastodon server named Mastodon.xda. :)

Last edited:

bitpushr

XDA:Administrator
Does it matter anymore?
After yesterday's stunt, most of the peeps I follow quit.
They are not coming back.
Yeah I was already on the edge, will probably read (because you still find some info exclusively there) but not interacting with it any more. Now with the questionable intentions of the financial backers... No thanks!

karandpr

Sr Mod | Mod Com | Dev Com Lead | RC-RT Com
Staff member
Feb 20, 2011
Xiaomi Redmi 4a
Nokia 6.1 Plus (Nokia X6)
Yeah I was already on the edge, will probably read (because you still find some info exclusively there) but not interacting with it any more. Now with the questionable intentions of the financial backers... No thanks!
Yeah, I am actually not bothered at all. I might make a book purchase or course of some of the peeps I have met.
But I am not really interested in joining Mastadon or whatever...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Leave Twitter , Embrace XDA
    I just added Mastodon profile link to custom fields on our accounts. I also added a link to our profiles that should allow XDA to show up as a "Verified" link on Mastodon profiles.
    Joined Twitter in 2007. Followed a bunch of local people and also "techies". Went to a bunch of Tweetups and made friendships that lasted to today.

Since 2012 or so I feel like Twitter is a net negative on society. I stopped posting frequently a long time ago but still checked it out almost daily.

I moved over to Mastodon. Created an account in 2019 when it first came out, but didn't really see the point of focusing any energy on it until now. What I miss in Twitter is the community that evolved around it, just like why I love XDA. I just found a great community on there. Honestly, if XDA wants to start a Mastodon server, I would be behind that. Just show me that there is enough interest!
    We do own xda.dev 😎

I added XDA profile verification on Mastodon. First add your Mastodon profile on your XDA profile. Then add your XDA profile to your Mastodon profile, and it will show up as a green checkmark/verified.