Question Lenovo P11 Pro 2020 or 2021?

Search This thread

Stremon

Mar 7, 2008
Hi,

A little question for anybody who owns either model; is there any drawback with the 2021 model over the 2020 model of the P11? (bad global ROM version, unlock...)?
I can see that the screen brightness is higher on the 2021 model (600 vs 400), does it also affects the minimum brightness?
I saw some people saying the blacks were gray somehow? (which doesn't make much sense for an OLED screen?)
As I'd use it to read comics in the dark, the lower brightness/deeper blacks, the better.

It's barely a 100$ difference, so if there is no drawback I'd obviously get the 2021 model for the new CPU and 90Hz screen :)

Thanks!

Last edited:

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
If you get a global variant of the 2020 model you get Dolby Vision on Netflix and possibly better software support.
If you go for the 2021 version and are comfortable with just English and Chinese as a language choice get the CN ROM with full widevine L1 not the janky Global ROM version. The grey issue isn't not evident often. Black is black its dark grey colours that can look a little dirty. It's not evident for the majority of the time.
The issues I was experiencing when watching media was because justplayer has a bug with HDR at 90hz. If the screen is set to 60hz it plays fine and it doesn't crush blacks.
Also the snapdragon 870 is significantly faster on the 2021 version.

Reactions: Stremon

Stremon

Mar 7, 2008
If you get a global variant of the 2020 model you get Dolby Vision on Netflix and possibly better software support.
If you go for the 2021 version and are comfortable with just English and Chinese as a language choice get the CN ROM with full widevine L1 not the janky Global ROM version. The grey issue isn't not evident often. Black is black its dark grey colours that can look a little dirty. It's not evident for the majority of the time.
The issues I was experiencing when watching media was because justplayer has a bug with HDR at 90hz. If the screen is set to 60hz it plays fine and it doesn't crush blacks.
Awesome, thanks a lot for the clear and fast answer, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
That's a very hard choice, but I think for my use I might stay with the 2020 model for the L1, multi-language option and better software support :unsure:
Is there any issue/bug on the 2020 with the Android 10 to 11 OTA, like widevine going back to L3? Or does it seems all good now?

mardon85

Jan 8, 2009
Manchester
Awesome, thanks a lot for the clear and fast answer, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
That's a very hard choice, but I think for my use I might stay with the 2020 model for the L1, multi-language option and better software support :unsure:
Is there any issue/bug on the 2020 with the Android 10 to 11 OTA, like widevine going back to L3? Or does it seems all good now?
There's certainly issues like that on the 2021 version (not happened to me yet). If you get the 2020 version from a legitimate store at least you have warranty support if something does go wrong.
Speaking from experience if you have issues with the chinese Xiaoxin versions which you can't fix yourself... It's a long expensive process to fix.

Reactions: Stremon

Stremon

Mar 7, 2008
Yeah that makes sense.
Well I'm used to waste time with Chinese tablets flashing and tweaking, but if I can avoid it...
Now I see a user saying the last update on the J706F increases the minimum brightness of the tab... I think once I get the tab I will stay on stock Android 10 or manually update for the time being :D

Reactions: mardon85

rookery

Sep 22, 2005
I also face this choice recently

Lenovo P11 Pro 2020 version USD 215 with free shipping, back cover and screen protect
just enough CPU, IR Face unlock, I was thinking after flash global rom, I can get OLED and HDR + Netflix L1, because this device is listed on both Lenovo and Netflix website are cert..........but end up Netflix L3 only (no HD no HDR) so crying now....

Lenovo P11 Pro 2021 version USD 300 tablet only
This will give you 90hz display and 870 CPU, but no official Global ROM. i don't want to stay on China ROM due to security concerns and limitation on Google framework

Lenovo P12 Pro USD 616 (no cover no keyboard no pen)
12.6 amoled screen, official Global ROM, better back cover design that can hold pen.....bluetooth keyboard so can use even detached. but cost too high to own the whole set of gears

Samsung Tab S7 FE USD 590 (including pen and cover, no keyboard)
12" IPS screen, Samsung Rom should be most compitable, there tools to pick up call and message if you are using a Samsung phone too.

Original
Although P12 is the best fit to me, but base on the price, I went for 2020 version assuming it can at least use for coming 1.5 year (may be EOL of Android 11), and save USD 85 target to buy something better next time may be discounted Lenovo P12

Now
We have no control on those Google and Netflix thing.......may be next time I will get a light Windows Table like Asus Slate 13, we can easier to crack .exe app on Windows than Google Play......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's certainly issues like that on the 2021 version (not happened to me yet). If you get the 2020 version from a legitimate store at least you have warranty support if something does go wrong.
    Speaking from experience if you have issues with the chinese Xiaoxin versions which you can't fix yourself... It's a long expensive process to fix.
    Yeah that makes sense.
    Well I'm used to waste time with Chinese tablets flashing and tweaking, but if I can avoid it...
    Now I see a user saying the last update on the J706F increases the minimum brightness of the tab... I think once I get the tab I will stay on stock Android 10 or manually update for the time being :D