Lenovo Smart Tab P10 TB-X705F aka ZA440169US

Search This thread

Yuritlt

Jul 14, 2019
I can not download the firmware with 9 android. Neither from the tablet, nor through the computer (lenovo moto smart assistant), although there is a notification.
The tablet was updated before this in May.
Is there a way to update the tablet forcibly?
Or return the factory firmware, the update should go from it without any problems.
Screenshot-2019-07-14-20-21-45-333.jpg

Last edited:

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
Good news, it appears that the Pie bootloader can be unlocked with the command:

fastboot oem unlock-go

This is definitely new to the Pie bootloader. The command "fastboot oem enable-unlock-once" no longer works.

Use this at your own risk! I just unlock the bootloader on my test P10 and it completely wiped the device.

I'm am now working on root for Pie. If I'm able to achieve root, I will write up a guide.

Chaser

Reactions: schoebi_zh

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
My Lenovo Smart Tab P10 (TB-X705F) running Android 9 (Pie) is rooted and is working just fine. Writing up the guide now. Hopefully I'll have it done later today.

Anybody who feels comfortable using the fastboot tool should be able to make this work without any problems. Be aware that it will require you to unlock the bootloader which will completely wipe the device. So, as always, you do this at your own risk. Make sure you back up your internal SD card and all Android and app data BEFORE you unlock the bootloader. I'll make sure to cover this again in the guide. The unlock command for the Pie bootloader is in my last post. Once you run that command, you are committed.

Attached are some screenshots showing root with BusyBox along with SafetyNet check success.

Chaser

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190808-123658.png
    Screenshot_20190808-123658.png
    109.1 KB · Views: 664
  • Screenshot_20190808-123706.jpg
    Screenshot_20190808-123706.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 672
  • Screenshot_20190808-122552.png
    Screenshot_20190808-122552.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 671
Last edited:

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
I can not download the firmware with 9 android. Neither from the tablet, nor through the computer (lenovo moto smart assistant), although there is a notification.
The tablet was updated before this in May.
Is there a way to update the tablet forcibly?
Or return the factory firmware, the update should go from it without any problems.
Screenshot-2019-07-14-20-21-45-333.jpg

Have you had any luck downloading that OTA update? If it's still stuck, you may be able to work around the problem with the Lenovo Moto Smart Assistant tool. LMSA has the ability to download the stock ROM files and OTA updates. You can then push updates to the tablet via the USB cable. The LMSA tool is easy to find on the Lenovo web site in the support area.

By the way, the LMSA tool is very buggy. Don't get too frustrated if it fails to download the files or apply the updates. If you hit a wall using that tool, let me know. I finally got the tool to do what I wanted but it took a lot of trial and error.

Chaser

Dubidon

Aug 25, 2019
Hi guys and thanks for the root methodology.

I'm looking for a way to use the dock as a speaker only. I don't want to install and use alexa.
Did someone find a way to do that ?

Dubidon

INRIDI45

May 20, 2018
Last edited:

Demon27

Jun 3, 2016
I got the Smart Tab P10 primarily with Project Xcloud and Game Streaming in mind. It works pretty well for these but so far I can't get a USB-C Ethernet adapter to work with it. I've tried 2 different adapters that I know work with my Pixel XL but the Lenovo keeps saying no Ethernet device plugged in. Anyone know if this is a hardware problem with the tablet or the version of Android 9 it's running?

lixoaqui

Dec 2, 2013
Any chance this will get supported on LineageOS or other major custom rom?

I haven't bought this but I worry about future upgrades being available.

Also, from current users of the tablet: are you happy with it? fast enough? any bugs on using it or negative feedback?

dracolnyte

Jun 23, 2016
is there anyway to enable google ambient mode on this like the new M8? any way to make it think that it is an M8 so it will be enabled on google's server side?

Mr. Jedge

Jul 31, 2007
I think there has to be. When I was running the Pixel Experience ROM on my Xiaomi MiMix 3, I had ambient mode....which isnt supported on my phone normally. I tried doing the device simulation in Magisk Props Module, but no go. That's the extents of my knowledge lol.

How do you successfullly change a device Id anyway?

jps13

Nov 8, 2013
Manchester
Please help :(

Hi guys

My friend has this tablet and it is now stuck on the boot screen after a failed update.

It has cherished pictures on of her dad who recently passed away.

Is there anyway to get the tablet working again or at least be able to plug it into PC so the files can be recovered at all?

Or will it need to have a factory reset now?

Thanks

Josh

Jun 14, 2020
onedealbox.com
Lenovo is such an amazing company creating most durable products with decent specs for a budget price. I own 2 Lenovo laptops and one of them is 6 years old, swtiched on all the time. I have 1 lenovo phone for the past 3 years, want to buy another one with more recent date, but I bought for a test a phone with same specs as my Lenovo, but from Meizu this time and the experience is horrible, it runs out of memory from the start, hangs at all tasks, so again Lenovo is the winner. Anything made by Lenovo I would reccommend :)

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Tamworth
Hi guys

My friend has this tablet and it is now stuck on the boot screen after a failed update.

It has cherished pictures on of her dad who recently passed away.

Is there anyway to get the tablet working again or at least be able to plug it into PC so the files can be recovered at all?

Or will it need to have a factory reset now?

Thanks

Josh
Your big problem is that the data (including photos) is encrypted. Simplest thing to do is call Lenovo and ask if they can recover the encrypted data.

Unfortunately, "fastboot boot" doesn't work on the P10, and we don't have a version of TWRP that decrypts the data partition.

If you're Android-savvy, you could try re-installing the OTA from stock recovery. But I suspect the OTA will refuse to re-install, when it detects that the system/vendor/firmware partitions have already been updated.

Or if your friend had USB Debugging enabled, you could back up the encrypted data partition with ADB (or TWRP if bootloader is already unlocked). Then use Lenovo's LMSA tool to recover the system. It will wipe all the data (including photos). Then you use ADB (or TWRP) to restore the old data partition with the backup you just made, reboot, say a little prayer & hope the system decrypts the restored partition correctly. There's no guarantee this will work.

BTW, if the bootloader is not already unlocked, then don't try to unlock it. The unlocking process wipes all data.

Reactions: jps13

Top Liked Posts