Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus (aka TB-8704F/X)

Search This thread

adannyo

Oct 10, 2019
Here's how I installed lineage 16 after many soft bricks!

Hi guys

This is my 1st post here only because I've had a nightmare getting lineage to install on my Lenovo TB-8704F tab 4 8 plus. I think I have tried every guide I could find and nothing worked. I always ended up either stuck on the Lenovo boot screen at the very start or the lineage boot screen.

What finally worked was a dirty flash on a clean stock 8.1 system.

Basically all the guides are fine to get you to twrp. But they all fall down after that. So if anyone else is struggling;

Once you have got to the point of fastboot boot twrp.img try this.

Fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
(This permanently installs twrp to recovery)

Then boot into recovery
Then format everything in twrp
Then wipe the top 3 tick boxes in advanced wipe in twrp

Then find the page on needrom that explains how to fix a soft brick for the tab 4 8 plus and download the Android 8.1 image. You will have to create an account which I was wary of doing but this was the last straw for me.
You need to extract it to an SD card. The zip should only contain boot.img recovery.img and system.img
If it doesn't, you downloaded the wrong one so try again.
Once this is done put the SD in the tablet and press vol- & power to go to fastboot and connect to your laptop.
From here I followed the instructions to flash boot and recovery and then dd system. But I had to dd system twice for it to work for some reason.
Once done, reboot the tablet and wait while it boots into stock 8.1. When it gets to pick the language turn it off and put it back into fastboot mode.
Then flash twrp permanently with fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
Now put your SD card with lineage.zip (whichever version you choose) into the tablet and boot into recovery.
Now just install lineage through twrp. DONT WIPE OR FORMAT ANYTHING!
Once it completes reboot and lineage should boot with no problems. Once it gets to the language choice power off and boot into recovery.
Now do a factory reset.
Then you can install other stuff like magisk or gapps or whatever.
Once complete, reboot and enjoy!

Hope this helps someone else who is pulling their hair out like I was.

So you know, lineage 16 solved my WiFi issue where it would drop altogether randomly and consistently as well as the random screen blackout while watching full screen video. Both issues came after upgrading to 8.1.

Last edited:

swieder711

I already own a Tab 4 8 Plus with 4/64 GB running LOS 16 (Android Pie 9. I have been happy with this device. My trusty N7 2013 has died. The battery appears to be charged. Holding Power button + Volume down does nothing. I have tried reseating all the cables and connectors.

I am looking for a new 7 or 8" tablet that is developer friendly. To me this means that the tablet can be rooted. TWRP would be nice, but I am living without that on my Pixel 3 XL running Android 10. I discussion group on XDA would be even nicer. The tablet also needs to have a USB-C port and support Nova launcher.

I may get another Tab 4 8 Plus. Is there anything out there that is better?

Last edited:
support Nova launcher
Hmmm, I don't think there is a device which will not support Nova or any other custom launcher...
But, to the point. I'm also thinking what will be my next device. I think I will change both of my devices for one, a bit bigger phone, like 6", probably OnePlus. Because there is no tablet which is interesting for me.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8704F using XDA Labs

dahawthorne

Nov 15, 2014
Brighton
I was waiting for other suggestions but I don't see many...
I did some research just a few months ago when I wanted to replace my Nexus 10 - QHD display & stereo speakers make it a hard device to replace. As you know, @swieder711, I too have a TB-8704F and it's a nice little machine for the same reasons, if a bit small with tinny sound in comparison to the N10.
I found nothing I wanted. Huawei is out for me because they refuse to allow unlocked bootloader, Lenovo are out because they appear to have little or no interest in keeping their devices updated, and there are few others who produce tablets any more.
Samsung is of course the big one. Their S series is too expensive for my liking, and the A series, though reasonably-priced and rootable, has "stereo" speakers on one side of the device, which makes it useless for media watching.
So I'm sticking with my N10, despite it being old and creaky. It plays media superbly, and I don't think that the current (and possibly the future) tablet market will produce anything better.

swieder711

Hmmm, I don't think there is a device which will not support Nova or any other custom launcher...
But, to the point. I'm also thinking what will be my next device. I think I will change both of my devices for one, a bit bigger phone, like 6", probably OnePlus. Because there is no tablet which is interesting for me.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8704F using XDA Labs
I read on XDA/Reddit about people having problems running Nova on top of the Huawei skin EMUI. https://www.reddit.com/r/Huawei/comments/9bkt95/nova_launcher_on_emui_81/

Last edited:

sirtweak0

Jul 12, 2016
Magisk remount FLASH - R/W

Here are some tips for our devices.
To be able to write to system partition (device freezing when using Adaway, and some otherapps) you have to remount system partition as RW.
I have made a magisk module for this task. If you have magisk installed just flash the attached zip in twrp. No more freezes with rooted apps.

If you are using an sd card you might have noticed, that log files are being created constantly in sdcard/logs folder. After few days it can grow up to couple of gigs. To disable that you have edit your build.prop
change
Code:
persist.service.sdlog.enable=1
to
Code:
persist.service.sdlog.enable=0
Save and reboot.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all,
I've gotten this Tab 4 10- x304 (Oreo 8.1 ) rooted, backed up in tethered TWRP, and working according to the guide. This R/W magisk flash will not flash however, I'm not receiving any OTA updates so I'm trying to remove system apps without it bootlooping or even add modules in magisk. I tried removing some google apps and it bootlooped and had to restore it in TWRP.

During the flash it either hangs on "- Mounting /system, /vendor, /data, /cache" forever or just says failed. Also when I go to mount and check system it still says 0 mb for the internal storage.

I believe it has something to do with the fact I can't mount the system or data in TWRP successfully? How have you gotten it to work?

Thank you for your time!

cabinhead

Mar 20, 2020
Will this work on the Lenovo TB-8504F (I've seen some other posts that make it look like the TB-8704F and TB-8504F are the same)

sudesh.kumar

Jul 16, 2018
Whatsapp group link

Hai guys iam just crested a whatsapp group for Lenovo tab 4 8 plus we can discuss about lenovo tablets please join the new group

If any question ask me in my whatsapp number:

swieder711

I recently changed the battery on my 3+ year old Pixel 3 XL and saw a significant improvement in battery life. My Tab 4 8 plus is showing similar signs of an aged battery.

I see a two options for sale on Amazon/Ebay for replacement battery and one video on opening the back with a heat gun and guitar pick. For the Pixel, I was able to buy a replacement adhesive. I don't see a similar accessory for the Tab.

Has anyone replaced the battery on a Tab 4 8 plus and care share their experience?

Thanks,

Mahesha999

Oct 15, 2012
Today, out of nowhere my tablets power button / fingerprint scanner came out. I dont recall myself handling it badly. Never dropped it. The rest of the device is in prestine form. So I was guessing if those parts are simply glued? Are the really broken and do I have to buy new ones? And does new parts available anywhere online? (I didn't find any information / disassembly / assembly instructions / videos online)

20210815_013806.jpg

20210815_013841-jpg.5385861

Attachments

• 20210815_013841.jpg
    20210815_013841.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 413

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are some tips for our devices.
    To be able to write to system partition (device freezing when using Adaway, and some otherapps) you have to remount system partition as RW.
    I have made a magisk module for this task. If you have magisk installed just flash the attached zip in twrp. No more freezes with rooted apps.

If you are using an sd card you might have noticed, that log files are being created constantly in sdcard/logs folder. After few days it can grow up to couple of gigs. To disable that you have edit your build.prop
    change
    Code:
    persist.service.sdlog.enable=1
    to
    Code:
    persist.service.sdlog.enable=0
    Save and reboot.

Get rid of bluetooth logs btsnoop_hci.log being written to your internal drive:
    go to
    Code:
     /system/etc/bluetooth/bt_stack.conf
    change
    Code:
     BTSnoopConfigFromFile=false
    to
    Code:
    BTSnoopConfigFromFile=true
    It's been released in Europe for quite some time and from what I'm hearing it's about to hit the American market as well. Doen't seem to get any love yet on XDA.

Lovely little thing, from my three days with it. S625/64GB/4GB RAM/SD Slot/LTE. Comes with Android 7.1.1 stock.

Looks likes something that could finally replace the N7 2013, provided the community picks it up. I'm honestly surprised there's been little to no chatter about it whatsoever.

Did anyone manage to compile TWRP for it yet or root it otherwise?
    Many thanks for your great work. Everything has worked as described and I am super happy with this new tablet, replacing my Nexus 7.

I am surprised that there is so little activity around the Tab 4 here on XDA, but I am confident that once people understand that this is a really cool tablet and practically the only one with modern specs that comes close to the N7, there will be Custom ROMs and more. It's a beautiful piece of hardware and even without Custom ROM, the Lenovo Android is surprisingly lean and without bloatware (except for Microsoft Office).
    Since there was unfortunately no interest in the LOS I compiled for the 8704F, I will try it here today with LOS for the 8704X.

This LOS is based on a completely different repository, which I found only recently and which makes a very good impression.

Although you are all focused on Oreo, it would be very helpful if someone would be willing to try one of these untested builds. Of course there remains a certain risk, which I don't want to hide. That's why I don't publish the links and ask for a PN.

Thanks.

I'll test it for you. PM sent
    Made this and thought somone else might find it useful.
    Twrp flashable full firmware, updated to the latest patch.
    TB-8704F only.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgo9h4epmf3z9hb/TB-8704F_S000036_180502_ROW.zip?dl=0