• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus (X606f) won't power on after flashing older ROM

Search This thread

python_rocks

Jan 24, 2020
I'm flashing my new Lenovo tablet with Android 9 (so I can flash it later with Ubuntu Touch) and after SP Flash tool finished flashing
tablet won't power on. The power button does nothing and holding volume down + power button does nothing either.

The battery isn't dead so I'm trying to figure out why the tablet won't come on if older ROM is on it.
I had no error outputs during the flash.

This is the ROM I flashed https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar..._Gen/TB-X606F/TB-X606F_S300007_200923_BMP.zip

Any suggestion as to how to get it to work again ?

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
Yes I'm using W10. adb is working and I've got Lenovo USB drivers installed too. What do you mean by "recovery module" ? Recovery partition inside the tablet ?
No i mean when you connect the tablet to the pc in recovery, open Device Manager and ensure the tablet is connected with the correct driver. I'm sorry i don't know what that is offhand, but it should be different than when you connect it if the tablet was working. Sorry if it makes no sense, but i think this is what's going on.

python_rocks

Jan 24, 2020
No i mean when you connect the tablet to the pc in recovery, open Device Manager and ensure the tablet is connected with the correct driver. I'm sorry i don't know what that is offhand, but it should be different than when you connect it if the tablet was working. Sorry if it makes no sense, but i think this is what's going on.
In my case there's no "connect the tablet to the PC in recovery". The tablet won't power on at all. Can't invoke fastboot nor recovery. The tablet doesn't react to any presses. Or press and holds. No nothing. The only thing I can confirm is the red LED on when the tablet is on charger.

Window's device manager is recognizing MediaTek USB driver when plugged in but that's it.

I've ran out of ideas about how to restore it hence I'm posting here.

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q
In my case there's no "connect the tablet to the PC in recovery". The tablet won't power on at all. Can't invoke fastboot nor recovery. The tablet doesn't react to any presses. Or press and holds. No nothing. The only thing I can confirm is the red LED on when the tablet is on charger.

Window's device manager is recognizing MediaTek USB driver when plugged in but that's it.

I've ran out of ideas about how to restore it hence I'm posting here.
Oh i misunderstood completely! That is worse, i have no clue how to fix it...

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
The tablet won't power on at all.
If it's that dead, then it sounds like the preloader.bin is trashed.

Try this method.

There is also an older thread for older SOCs that might have some hints.

Otherwise, you might have to open up the tablet.

You could research and try the "test point" method. It involves shorting two points on the motherboard. I did something similar for the X605F (which has a QCom SOC).

I'm not sure where the test points on this tablet are. Some MTK devices don't have test points. Google "mediatek test point" for starters. If you can't find them, then maybe ask Lenovo where they are. If you find out, post a photo of the test points on here.

If you're not confident doing any of this, then send the tablet to Lenovo for repair.

python_rocks

Jan 24, 2020

Try this method.

You could research and try the "test point" method. It involves shorting two points on the motherboard. I did something similar for the X605F (which has a QCom SOC).

I'm not sure where the test points on this tablet are. Some MTK devices don't have test points. Google "mediatek test point" for starters. If you can't find them, then maybe ask Lenovo where they are. If you find out, post a photo of the test points on here.

If you're not confident doing any of this, then send the tablet to Lenovo for repair.

Yeah, I've ordered opening kit. I'm going in. Quite a few people got their devices working by disconnecting the battery and connecting it back. I've noticed that no matter how long the
tablet is on charger the LED stays red, it doesn't change to orange or green.
This same problem has happen to two more members of the community. Same tablet.
We had to flag that ROM as it bricks the tablet.

Reactions: Yahoo Mike

Yahoo Mike

Apr 3, 2011
Newcastle
I don't have a lot of experience with the SPF tool, but could the root-cause of your problem be that you need to use a different dropdown option? See the description of the options in the unbrick guide - specifically the firmware upgrade option.

It makes sense that you want to force a full flash of low-level firmware when changing Android versions. That option seems to do exactly that.

Android 9 OS is not going to play nice with low-level firmware written for Android 10.

There might be nothing wrong with the ROM ??? ...just an idle thought.

Last edited:

python_rocks

Jan 24, 2020
I don't have a lot of experience with the SPF tool, but could the root-cause of your problem be that you need to use a different dropdown option? See the description of the options in the unbrick guide - specifically the firmware upgrade option.

It makes sense that you want to force a full flash of low-level firmware when changing Android versions. That option seems to do exactly that.

Android 9 OS is not going to play nice with low-level firmware written for Android 10.

Thank you for trying to help.
The flash tool doesn't do anything when I click Download and plugging in the tablet while holding the volume down button. Dropdown option was set to "firmware upgrade" as advised.

The guide suggests that it's for people who can at least power on the device. It says "switch off the phone ..." which I don't need to do since I can't even switch it on :D

Reactions: Yahoo Mike

A. Alaska

Sep 6, 2021
I'm flashing my new Lenovo tablet with Android 9 (so I can flash it later with Ubuntu Touch) and after SP Flash tool finished flashing
tablet won't power on. The power button does nothing and holding volume down + power button does nothing either.

The battery isn't dead so I'm trying to figure out why the tablet won't come on if older ROM is on it.
I had no error outputs during the flash.

This is the ROM I flashed https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmwar..._Gen/TB-X606F/TB-X606F_S300007_200923_BMP.zip

Any suggestion as to how to get it to work again
Did you mange to fix it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try this method.

Yeah, I've ordered opening kit. I'm going in. Quite a few people got their devices working by disconnecting the battery and connecting it back. I've noticed that no matter how long the
    tablet is on charger the LED stays red, it doesn't change to orange or green.
    This same problem has happen to two more members of the community. Same tablet.

Thank you for trying to help.
    The flash tool doesn't do anything when I click Download and plugging in the tablet while holding the volume down button. Dropdown option was set to "firmware upgrade" as advised.

The guide suggests that it's for people who can at least power on the device. It says "switch off the phone ..." which I don't need to do since I can't even switch it on :D