Lenovo Tab M8 (FHD) (TB-8705F): How to root?

Search This thread

lbjgh

Sep 28, 2014
SOLUTION -- Updated 01/05/2020
######################################################
Are you sick and tired of not having root access on your M8 FHD with Android 10!

Magisk Manager -> Gear Icon
Update Channel -> From Stable to Beta

Now you should be on 21.2 (as of Jan 5 2020).

Now patch the boot.img and the magisk_patched_RANDOM_Letters.img will be 32MB -- Previously I was getting a 10MB patched file!

Then adb reboot bootloader
Just boot loop with "Orange State" device has been unlocked and cannot be trusted
fastboot devices #Verify your device

fastboot flash boot C:\PATH_TO\magisk_patched_BLAHBLAH.img

fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta C:\PATH_TO\vbmeta_disabled.img

fastboot flash boot C:\PATH_TO\magisk_patched_BLAHBLAH.img

fastboot reboot

Now go to Magisk Manager (Mine looked like a default apk icon now), and it will show that magisk is installed on the device, and a prompt will say it needs to install an additional zip or something to the fact.

The device will reboot after you say ok

NOW check for root, and "Bob's your Uncle" a toast appears asking if you want to grant root access.

FINALLY!

I used this mostly blank vbmeta_disable.img (found somewhere on this thread), not sure if a it is needed or if the regular vbmeta.img will work feel free to try either...

#M1XMSTR
didn't work for me. I'm using a M8 FHD

also getting this message after using lenovo recovery upon first start of ADB
1626387141577.png

Last edited:

Meth0d

Jan 3, 2008
So the next Question arises, how to take OTA :)
Installing TB_8705F_S300071_210713_BMP OTA fails, i guess i have to restore the original boot.img from S300043_210127. Hope i can find that somewhere.

Chaser42

Jun 11, 2015
Houston, TEXAS
I need to apply the latest OTA to TB-8705F_USR_S300043_2101271807_V9.56_BMP_ROW.

Unfortunately I no longer have the stock boot.img for that version and I need it for the update. Would anyone here be able to point me to a copy of that file?

Many Thanks!

Chaser

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
I need to apply the latest OTA to TB-8705F_USR_S300043_2101271807_V9.56_BMP_ROW.

Unfortunately I no longer have the stock boot.img for that version and I need it for the update. Would anyone here be able to point me to a copy of that file?

Many Thanks!

Chaser
Which version do you have now? You probably need the original of this version.

Meth0d

Jan 3, 2008
I am trying to Take the OTA for TB-8705F_S300093_211116_BMP and i am currently on TB_8705F_S300071_210713_BMP. I restored the Stock boot IMG but the OTA always fails with "error" and reboots.

Any hints on how to take OTA ?

Last edited:

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
I am trying to Take the OTA for TB-8705F_S300093_211116_BMP and i am currently on TB_8705F_S300071_210713_BMP. I restored the Stock boot IMG but the OTA always fails with "error" and reboots.

Any hints on how to take OTA ?
Need to go remove all changes to firmware. (boot.img, recovery.img, vbmeta.img)

Meth0d

Jan 3, 2008
Well I tried that, reflashed boot and vbmeta from my current firmware. I have no custom recovery. OTA Update fails approx halfway through.
I used the recovery tool to flash the current version since I didn't have much stuff on the tab anyways.
But would be nice to know for upcoming updates.

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018

Meth0d

Jan 3, 2008
How would that get modified? I used magisk to patch boot an the vbmeta to flash it, so far I can follow but what would modify the system image? Is that not something that changes all the time anyways? (Android)

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
How would that get modified? I used magisk to patch boot an the vbmeta to flash it, so far I can follow but what would modify the system image? Is that not something that changes all the time anyways? (Android)
I'm familiar enough to really answer but once rooted you can change the system.img. I'm not sure if this would happen by default or only if make changes. But I know that I have made changes to my system.img with adding some files there.

mihaistancu

Feb 27, 2013
Hi guys!
I just went through a week of misery and pain trying to root my Lenovo tab M8 FHD, TB-8705F. I managed to do it in the end, so problem solved. The reason why I wanted to do it is because I plan to install the tablet in my car and I wanted to change that horrible boot animation that runs in the beginning and replace it with a picture of my choosing.
So far, I've managed to replace the bootanimation.zip in the root directory, but the result is not what I expected.

When booting, there is no more old animation, but there is still a black screen with the Lenovo logo on it and that stays in the beginning and then the word "android" with some animation. Any thoughts on where I should further look for other animation folders?
Or how to tackle this permanently?

Thank you very much!

ibrahm24

May 13, 2021
I have a Tab M8 (gen 2) and wanted to root it. I've seen several online guides and the comments here, but they all follow different steps so I'm not sure if i got it right.

Edit: I saw this post from 2020, is it still relevant / enough for rooting on android 10?

Last edited:

philip707

Feb 13, 2009
After it boots to fastboot mode it shows up in device manager as Android ADB Interface.
I will try tomorrow again to reload the drivers wile connected in fastboot. Pretty sure I did that today while trying different driver downloads but I will try it again.
If I remember correctly the Lenovo Rescue software gave the option to unlock the bootloader so I will reinstall that and try not to goof it up again.
but my tab enter into fastboot, doest recognise fastboot commands... attach my fastboot screen... any help pls

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I hate to be that new guy asking for help, but I recently obtained a Tab 8 FHD and while I love the hardware, Android 10 is just awful on it for me. I saw the earlier post about using the renamed Android 9 firmware and LMSA to install 9 on the FHD, but after trying it unsuccessfully with the two different firmware files I found online I have had zero luck.

I have tried the TB-8705F_S100099_200706_BMP firmware from two different, possibly sketchy sites, since I could not find the official Lenovo release and all other options I could find were pay to DL. So does anyone happen to have a link to any of the Android 9 firmware files that's safe and complete? I know I'm probably asking a lot, but I really like the FHD and I would like to be able to use it properly, and not gimped by Android 10.
    Have you looked at this site 8705f ? If you go back a level he also has firmware folders for the 8705N and 8705X. I used one from there with no problems.
    For the new Update for this tablet that is Android 10. See This post on Android Enthusiasts for how to root.
    So for those who haven't been tinkering in a while, I was driving myself nuts trying to get root on this device...turns out I was using the old bootloader unlock code of "fastboot oem unlock" This device needs "fastboot flashing unlock" Hopefully this saves someone else the frustration I went through! Once you get the bootloader unlocked it's as easy as patching the flashed boot.img file.
    success on round 2 (after one boot loop soft brick, and flashing the whole firmware, then doing again)
    1. click on build number in settings> system 7 times to open dev settings
    2. tick OEM unlock & USB debugging in developer settings
    3. plug in and get recognized (whatever you have to do wtih your drivers.. i use linux so not sure on all that) with "fastboot devices"
    4. "fastboot flashing unlock" and follow prompts
    5. after bootloader reset, repeat steps 1 & 2 (minus OEM unlock which is perma-ticked)
    6. download latest firmware from lenovo Rescue adn Smart Assistant website, under rescue tab
    7. move archive to appropriate folder for terminal work
    8. copy boot.img to internal shared storage root, download, wherever you want it
    9. install magisk manager
    10. give magisk permissions to install
    11. (i had to reboot by powering down and powering back up here)
    12. using magisk manager app, install magisk and select patch file, patching boot.img
    13. move newly generated magisk_patched.img to your computer in terminal-appropriate folder
    14. "adb reboot bootloader"
    15. "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img"
    upon reboot, i had root access
    however viper4linux (as magisk module) won't work so if anyone has thoughts on that i'd be grateful
    success on round 2 (after one boot loop soft brick, and flashing the whole firmware, then doing again)
    1. click on build number in settings> system 7 times to open dev settings
    2. tick OEM unlock & USB debugging in developer settings
    3. plug in and get recognized (whatever you have to do wtih your drivers.. i use linux so not sure on all that) with "fastboot devices"
    4. "fastboot flashing unlock" and follow prompts
    5. after bootloader reset, repeat steps 1 & 2 (minus OEM unlock which is perma-ticked)
    6. download latest firmware from lenovo Rescue adn Smart Assistant website, under rescue tab
    7. move archive to appropriate folder for terminal work
    8. copy boot.img to internal shared storage root, download, wherever you want it
    9. install magisk manager
    10. give magisk permissions to install
    11. (i had to reboot by powering down and powering back up here)
    12. using magisk manager app, install magisk and select patch file, patching boot.img
    13. move newly generated magisk_patched.img to your computer in terminal-appropriate folder
    14. "adb reboot bootloader"
    15. "fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img"
    upon reboot, i had root access
    however viper4linux (as magisk module) won't work so if anyone has thoughts on that i'd be grateful

These steps worked for me! Thanks for spelling them out.
    For step 7, I installed the Rescue and Smart Assistant Windows app (I couldn't find a website with the factory images). The app downloads the files to C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\<RomName>

After step 15 I had to do the following:
    16. Launch Magisk Manager
    17. Allow it to download a Magisk install file
    18. Reboot (it booted to recovery automatically)
    19. Press power to boot system