Lenovo tab m8

Search This thread

F3N!X

Jan 19, 2013
I finally figured out how to port a TWRP for this device.
This is for the Lenovo tab M8 FHD TB-8705F running the following version TB_8705F_S300022_201015_BMP
Please find the file attached here.
To make this work you will need to flash the vbmeta.img with the option --disable-verification. Some say you need the vbmeta.img to be an empty image file I'm attaching such a file here as well.

Use this at your own peril.

If you would like to try your hand at porting it yourself I used This guide. It was very helpful.

Hi. I did it successfully with @Isrgish unofficial TWRP port for 8705f the same way I've flashed the patched boot.img while rooting the device. It means that it works with the unmodified vbmeta.img already extracted from the "TB_8705F_S300022_201015_BMP_SVC" Rom files:

1. flash the TWRP port to recovery fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.4.0-mod-isrgish_tab-m8-fhd-8705f.img
2. flash vbmeta.img fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
3. flash the TWRP port to recovery again
4. reboot with fastboot reboot command

Then power off the tablet and start it again in recovery mode (Volume Up + Power). Well done!
I've also installed "Power App | Simple Power Menu [Root only]" from F-Droid so I'm able to reboot to recovery directly from Android.

- I've faced a first screen titled "Mount - Decrypt Data" with a blank password field. But the encryption is Lenovo-made and I have no idea of any kind of password. So I hit Cancel. And I swipe right to allow modifications to system partition.
So come the well-known TWRP interface with big square buttons.
- I've tried to wipe the Dalvik / ART Cache and it shown errors like :
"Failed to decrypt data. Unable to decrypt data with default password. You may need to perform a Format Data."
"Unable to mount storage"
"Full SELinux support is present" (my fault, didn't yet switch it to permissive mode)

So system backups are impossible too because partitions can't be mounted. As long as there's no XDA forum for this model with AOSP or Lineage custom Roms, I don't want to modify things too deeply just to get access to encrypted partitions. Not sure but disabling encryption looks impossible to me without formatting. And a Lenovo firmware update would surely encrypt it again or do fancy things after reboot even if "switching" encryption off would be possible. What do you all think about it?

Anyway, in spite of the error messages, flashing the latest Magisk update worked fine. I just had to put the ZIP file in a directory that is accessible from TWRP (ie. /cache).

Thanks again @Isrgish for sharing your work!

Last edited:
Reactions: gboybama

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Just a heads-up - I've booted both LOS 17 (Android 10) and 18 (Android 11) GSIs on my M8 FHD. It's just a matter of flashing vbmeta to disable verity/verification, then flashing system in fastboot - rather easy and painless. While GSIs aren't device-specific ROMs, for niche devices like ours it's the next best thing - though it won't run smooth due to our low-end SoC. Feel free to try out other GSIs as well.
Screenshot_20210119-214855_Settings.png

Last edited:

dcatoffm

May 25, 2013
Dover, NH
Just a heads-up - I've booted both LOS 17 (Android 10) and 18 (Android 11) GSIs on my M8 FHD. It's just a matter of flashing vbmeta to disable verity/verification, then flashing system in fastboot - rather easy and painless. While GSIs aren't device-specific ROMs, for niche devices like ours it's the next best thing - though it won't run smooth due to our low-end SoC. Feel free to try out other GSIs as well.

Question.. how does the hardware perfs (in particular WiFi, Bluetooth, and camera) work?

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Question.. how does the hardware perfs (in particular WiFi, Bluetooth, and camera) work?

WiFi/cam fine, BT haven't checked, but typically it'll be slightly problematic on GSIs, e.g. connecting to certain devices.
I've sold my device (yes, just a week after getting it) so I can't further check.

dcatoffm

May 25, 2013
Dover, NH
WiFi/cam fine, BT haven't checked, but typically it'll be slightly problematic on GSIs, e.g. connecting to certain devices.
I've sold my device (yes, just a week after getting it) so I can't further check.
Okay, that's a good start I guess. Thank you.
I'm just asking because I want to run this as a low-end Linux tab/desktop but I'm getting real sick real fast of the modern Android security limitations (in particular inability to access the virtual SD common storage and no read access to /dev rendering gvfs functions inoperable, like WTAF Google).

My problem is I don't have a real desktop or laptop anymore, so anything I do for rooting is going to be ADB OTG from a phone. If I'm flashing images anyway, a Lineage s build would be ideal (PostmarketOS would be better but again, no "real" computer to build it with) but considering the brick potential and unverified Bluetooth (I really need a keyboard for my intended use) plus the inability to use a windows magic recovery method if it all goes kerflunk, I think I'm going to stick to the Magisk method, and probably do the TWRP recovery as well just because it's super useful and the thing is going to reformat when I unlock the bootloader anyway so I don't think I'll be losing sleep over an extra format to clear encryption. I've been spending the past week collecting images and notes, so hopefully I can be good to go when I get my hands on an OTG. Unfortunately this project is not exactly a priority in life so it happens whenever it happens.

Anyway, thank you again for your input and reply. (..and sorry getting long winded.)

jeno1957

Jun 10, 2012
I am looking at TB-8505F firmware files at site: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/lenovo/Tab_8/TB-8505F/

This is the latest Android OS 9 file:
TB-8505F_S100145_200901_BMP.zip 2020-09-28 13:02 1735407 KB
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next two files are the newer Android OS 10 files:

TB-8505F_S300014_201015_BMP.zip 2020-11-09 15:32 1889558 KB
TB-8505F_S300034_201220_BMP.zip 2021-01-01 14:15 1841936 KB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a very recent file there, just few days old, is this Android OS 11 ?

TB-8505F_S320006_210111_BMP.zip 2021-02-05 17:02 1841947 KB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two more additional files, PM_US and ROW, what are those ?

TB-8505F_USR_S100077_2002170005_V5.140_BMP_PM_US.zip 2020-03-11 16:01 1583554 KB

TB-8505F_USR_S100102_2001061912_V5.140_BMP_ROW.zip
2020-01-22 18:32 1705086 KB

Thank You !

audeo

Aug 19, 2015
I am looking at TB-8505F firmware files at site: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/lenovo/Tab_8/TB-8505F/

This is the latest Android OS 9 file:
TB-8505F_S100145_200901_BMP.zip 2020-09-28 13:02 1735407 KB
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next two files are the newer Android OS 10 files:

TB-8505F_S300014_201015_BMP.zip 2020-11-09 15:32 1889558 KB
TB-8505F_S300034_201220_BMP.zip 2021-01-01 14:15 1841936 KB

There is a very recent file there, just few days old, is this Android OS 11 ?

TB-8505F_S320006_210111_BMP.zip 2021-02-05 17:02 1841947 KB

There are two more additional files, PM_US and ROW, what are those ?

TB-8505F_USR_S100077_2002170005_V5.140_BMP_PM_US.zip 2020-03-11 16:01 1583554 KB

TB-8505F_USR_S100102_2001061912_V5.140_BMP_ROW.zip
2020-01-22 18:32 1705086 KB

Thank You !
All the S1000 files are 9 and S3000 are 10. I don't think 11 has been released for this model. That S320006 is really oddly numbered, no clue to what it is.
My M8, a US version, came with S100102 and got 3 updates, S100133, S100139 and S100145. Then it got S300014 which is when I flashed back to 9. Even now on S1000145 it wants to download S300014.
The rom I used came from here. SP_Flash_Tool works really well.

jeno1957

Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for your reply !
According to "https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=985366&st=520" page, Post #531, there is a new TB-8505F file there, few days old, S300 means Android 10, right ?

Lenovo TAB M8 TB-8505F_USR_S300034_2012201236_V9.56_BMP_ROW [ androidhost.ru ].zip
https://androidhost.ru/1O8r

I have already downloaded it, extracted, loads ok into SP_Flash_Tool.
Some files has a date 2019-05-26, Image folder has files with 2020-12-20 dates.
Maybe it is rhe same as in my tablet......S300034_201220.
I need to spend some time with SP_Flash_Tool to learn what it does and how to use it.

Last edited:

jeno1957

Jun 10, 2012
My 8505F tablet is still has updated and untoched Android 10 system.
Before I attempt to do any major modification, I would like to know a few things:

1) Bootloader Unlock
After bootloader is unlocked, when tablet starts, does it shows any warning message ?, different screen ?, click something to continue ?, delay ?

2) It seems that there is a TWRP recovery available from this forum's thread
can it be used to flash Lenovo's factory files or need a file specially made for TWRP?

3)Read some russian forum posts about Android 9 worked better than updated Android 10 due to different memory allocation process
specific case: Jet Audio playing music with bluetooth and using Yandex/Chrome browser at the same time.....bad quality sound+apps stops and exits......any similar experience ?

Thanks!

audeo

Aug 19, 2015
Thanks for your reply !
According to "https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=985366&st=520" page, Post #531, there is a new TB-8505F file there, few days old, S300 means Android 10, right ?

Lenovo TAB M8 TB-8505F_USR_S300034_2012201236_V9.56_BMP_ROW [ androidhost.ru ].zip
https://androidhost.ru/1O8r

I have already downloaded it, extracted, loads ok into SP_Flash_Tool.
Some files has a date 2019-05-26, Image folder has files with 2020-12-20 dates.
Maybe it is rhe same as in my tablet......S300034_201220.
I need to spend some time with SP_Flash_Tool to learn what it does and how to use it.
S300034 is the next update after s300014. On the Lenovo forums, there have been reports of that update but it did nothing to fix alot of the problems in the 10 rom. And there are plenty of complaints about the 10 upgrade which is why so many here have reverted to 9. I am quite happy with 9, it is stable and works well. Let everyone else be the beta testers, I'm sticking with 9 until I see reports that 10 is fixed. SP_Flash_Tool is really easy to use, just follow the directions on the russian website.

audeo

Aug 19, 2015
My 8505F tablet is still has updated and untoched Android 10 system.
Before I attempt to do any major modification, I would like to know a few things:

1) Bootloader Unlock
After bootloader is unlocked, when tablet starts, does it shows any warning message ?, different screen ?, click something to continue ?, delay ?

2) It seems that there is a TWRP recovery available from this forum's thread
can it be used to flash Lenovo's factory files or need a file specially made for TWRP?

3)Read some russian forum posts about Android 9 worked better than updated Android 10 due to different memory allocation process
specific case: Jet Audio playing music with bluetooth and using Yandex/Chrome browser at the same time.....bad quality sound+apps stops and exits......any similar experience ?

Thanks!
Yes, you will get a message on the boot screen that the bootloader is unlocked, but it will still boot.
WIth SP_Flash_Tool or even the TOOL ALL IN ONE available on this site you really don't need TWRP and there is no official version.
Android 9 is far superior to 10 on this tablet right now.

jeno1957

Jun 10, 2012
I managed to get my TB-8505 tablet into a "red state" bootloop.
Still able to go with Volume Down+Power into fastboot mode, and after installing VCOM driver to PC, I have "fastboot devices" working ....it show model #, and accepting commands like "fastboot reboot", but not "fastboot recovery".....not found !

Installed SP Flash Tool v5.1824, using unzipped TB-8505F_100145_200901_BMP, added scatter-file and got all images loaded.
After installing Media Tek driver, Windows Device Manager shows Port-Mediatek USB Com13...looks OK !
The phone display in Sp_Flash Tools shows MT6761 ....that is what TB-8505F has !

However, I am having trouble to start the actual "Download " process in SP _Flash_Tool, tried many possible combinations , but none of the worked.

What are the exact steps to connect phone and get download process started ?

Thank You !

Attachments

• Lenovo-SP_Flash.jpg
    Lenovo-SP_Flash.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Lenovo-Device_manager.jpg
    Lenovo-Device_manager.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 36

audeo

Aug 19, 2015
I managed to get my TB-8505 tablet into a "red state" bootloop.
Still able to go with Volume Down+Power into fastboot mode, and after installing VCOM driver to PC, I have "fastboot devices" working ....it show model #, and accepting commands like "fastboot reboot", but not "fastboot recovery".....not found !

Installed SP Flash Tool v5.1824, using unzipped TB-8505F_100145_200901_BMP, added scatter-file and got all images loaded.
After installing Media Tek driver, Windows Device Manager shows Port-Mediatek USB Com13...looks OK !
The phone display in Sp_Flash Tools shows MT6761 ....that is what TB-8505F has !

However, I am having trouble to start the actual "Download " process in SP _Flash_Tool, tried many possible combinations , but none of the worked.

What are the exact steps to connect phone and get download process started ?

Thank You !
This worked for me from the Russian forum.

-----The firmware mode must be set to "Download Only", all firmware files must be checked some instructions recommend unchecking "preloader", but in this case it is needed).

Press the "Download" button (with a green down arrow :)).

On the TURNED OFF tablet, hold down the volume down button (without the power button, as written in many instructions) and, while holding it, connect the tablet to the computer via the same USB connector as in preparation.
After the process of downloading the files has begun, you can release the volume button and wait until a window with a green checkmark appears, notifying of the successful completion of the firmware.-----

Another alternative is to download the Lenove Rescue and Smart Assistant app. It will rescue a turned off tablet and reinstall the latest rom.

jeno1957

Jun 10, 2012
I successfully revived tablet using LMSA (Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant).
Previously when tried, I discovered that it does not support Fastboot Mode for the 8505F device and I could not get into Power Off mode because I missed to select Hardware Code (61) and Rescue Now button did not become available !
Loaded the latest Oreo 10 version,and than just disabled few not needed apps (Duo, Digital Wellness, Kids Mode, Tips, etc...) and changed to a different launcher.
So far , did not noticed any issues, works nicely !

For now, I will stay with untouched Oreo updates, (not rooted/locked bootloader )......until any custom ROM becomes available ( maybe never ?)

Last edited:

user93512

Feb 14, 2021
Hello,

I have a brand new Lenovo TB-9505X tablet. I was trying to unlock and install root (magisk) and a custom recovery (twrp).

I actually did it but, after restart, the RF was messed up (no bluetooth hardware recognition).

I tried to reinstall the stock ROM using SP flash tool but then I ran a complete format (by mistake) hence the device went bricked.

It won't power on or go into recovery/fastboot anymore. It is still detected as a serial (com) device but when I try to install anything using the SP flash tool, I get this error: "STATUS_BROM_CMD_SEND_DA_FAIL 0xC0060003".

Any help, please?

retro5

Dec 5, 2020
Hello,

I have a brand new Lenovo TB-9505X tablet. I was trying to unlock and install root (magisk) and a custom recovery (twrp).

I actually did it but, after restart, the RF was messed up (no bluetooth hardware recognition).

I tried to reinstall the stock ROM using SP flash tool but then I ran a complete format (by mistake) hence the device went bricked.

It won't power on or go into recovery/fastboot anymore. It is still detected as a serial (com) device but when I try to install anything using the SP flash tool, I get this error: "STATUS_BROM_CMD_SEND_DA_FAIL 0xC0060003".

Any help, please?
Download the Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant app. If the app doesn't recognize the tab then choose the model information for a rescue and it will download the latest rom and install it. Just follow the directions about holding down the vol button with the tab turned off. It will rescue a bricked device.

Reactions: user93512

linuxraptor

May 25, 2010
I successfully revived tablet using LMSA (Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant).
Previously when tried, I discovered that it does not support Fastboot Mode for the 8505F device and I could not get into Power Off mode because I missed to select Hardware Code (61) and Rescue Now button did not become available !
Loaded the latest Oreo 10 version,and than just disabled few not needed apps (Duo, Digital Wellness, Kids Mode, Tips, etc...) and changed to a different launcher.
So far , did not noticed any issues, works nicely !

For now, I will stay with untouched Oreo updates, (not rooted/locked bootloader )......until any custom ROM becomes available ( maybe never ?)
I also have a 8505F device/Hardware code 61; and I am also unable to get a working root on it.

1. I've made patched boot images from every Magisk channel (stable, beta, canary)
2. I've patched in stock and empty vbmeta images with --disable-verification
3. I've tried every order of flashing vbmeta and boot images
4. I've even re-flashed the entire Lenovo ROM and tried it all over again

...but I think the current state of patched boot images just doesn't work for our devices. After tons of struggle, a single fastboot command to re-flash the factory boot.img erases all the bootloop problems I have and brings up the stock OS without any issues. I guess we'll have to keep waiting for a rooted bootloader that works. :-/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the 8505FS as was able to update to Android 10, install the twrp listed above for the 8505F. Then I installed magisk via twrp and the vp meta zip listed above. The device is now rooted, and I used the magisk debloat script to remove unwanted apps. No issues thus far.
    @harvey186
    See post #63 for a TWRP image.

I'm not sure what method you're using, but you can go to the Lolinet mirror link for full images (just match your tablet model, go to the parent directory if you have an 87xx model, find the right one).
    I have the 8505FS as was able to update to Android 10, install the twrp listed above for the 8505F. Then I installed magisk via twrp and the vp meta zip listed above. The device is now rooted, and I used the magisk debloat script to remove unwanted apps. No issues thus far.
    Screenshot_20210119-214855_Settings.png
    Thanks friend, I installed your TWRP port - works great.
    I finally figured out how to port a TWRP for this device.
    This is for the Lenovo tab M8 FHD TB-8705F running the following version TB_8705F_S300022_201015_BMP
    Please find the file attached here.
    To make this work you will need to flash the vbmeta.img with the option --disable-verification. Some say you need the vbmeta.img to be an empty image file I'm attaching such a file here as well.

Use this at your own peril.

If you would like to try your hand at porting it yourself I used This guide. It was very helpful.

Tried your TWRP and got stuck in a boot loop. Then realized I was on the 8505f not the 8705f heh. Ill get an 8505f image up here in a moment. Good effort btw.
    Hello,
    I recently purchased the Lenovo tab m8 to replace the outdated navigation system in my car. I thought that since it came with a dock station that I would be able to connect the otg cable on the micro USB port. However this does not work, if it’s charging on the dock and I connect the OTG it stops charging. Does anyone know how I can die both things simultaneously?
    Look here: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cable-to-Use-OTG-and-Simultaneously-Charge-the/
    @harvey186
    See post #63 for a TWRP image.

I'm not sure what method you're using, but you can go to the Lolinet mirror link for full images (just match your tablet model, go to the parent directory if you have an 87xx model, find the right one).
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone