• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Lenovo tab m8

Search This thread

lbjgh

Sep 28, 2014
Pretend like this "1" starts at "15" from the previous post.... damn 2000 char limit....
  1. Enable USB Debugging again (Step 4-5)
  2. Grab the boot.img and vbmeta.img from the LMSA TB_8505FS_S300025_201015_BMP update. Copy the boot.img to the tablet, taking note of the location (e.g., ./adb push boot.img /sdcard/)
  3. Install latest version of Magisk Manager (doesn't need to be the Canary version, can be the regular version) and patch the boot image.
    1. Clicked on "Install" on the righthand top in magisk manager
    2. Clicked on "Next" Righthand top.
    3. Selected "Select and Patch a File".
    4. picked the boot.img file I had copied in step 1. Take note of the location of the patched image (magisk_patched.img), and copy it to your PC.
  4. Reboot into bootloader again (./adb reboot bootloader)
  5. Flashed the magisk patched boot.img ./fastboot flash boot path/to/magisk_patched.img
  6. Flash the VB meta with the disable-verification flag ./fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta path/to/vbmeta.img
  7. Flashed the magisk patched boot.img AGAIN!!!!!! (this part is key, otherwise you'll bootloop) ./fastboot flash boot path/to/magisk_patched.img
  8. Reboot, you should now be rooted (can confirm in Magisk Manager) ./fastboot reboot

This will have you in a rooted, unlocked bootloader status. I have NOT yet tried the steps from the FHD version of the tab to see if I can get TWRP running. But this is a start. :)
@drumst1x

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

AWESOME!

It worked on my M8 FHD.

I think the second flash of magisk patched boot.img is what solved my issue as I kept getting stuck in the bootloop.

1626389441564.png

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

sc00ter98

Jun 7, 2010
@drumst1x

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

AWESOME!

It worked on my M8 FHD.

I think the second flash of magisk patched boot.img is what solved my issue as I kept getting stuck in the bootloop.

View attachment 5363087

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!
You have done this steps for the TB-8705F when your tab was on Android Version 10?

Edit: It is success done on my tab FHD with win10. The big issue was to get the android driver for win10, fastboot was not working. I found it under win10 update >> optional updates >>driver updates >> there was a medi.... as installable update. Afterthem fastboot was working fine.

Now I'm happy!

Last edited:

blackpinkfn2

Jul 25, 2021
Hello there. I have a Lenovo Tab m8 FHD (TB-8705F) which I have rooted and downloaded firmware for from this link: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/lenovo/Tab_M8_FHD/TB-8705F/ . I downloaded the top one (TB-8705F_S100099_200706_BMP.zip) which I believe to be the equivalent of Android 9. I extracted the zip in my home directory and then flashed the system.img file in fastboot mode hoping to downgrade my device from the wretched Android 10. Anyway, it then gets trapped in a bootloop. Can anyone tell me how to prevent the bootloop? My pc is linuxmint btw, and also if I use the same process for either of the other two zips on the link, they work (but I don't want the Android 10 OS). Thanks!!!

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
Hello there. I have a Lenovo Tab m8 FHD (TB-8705F) which I have rooted and downloaded firmware for from this link: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/lenovo/Tab_M8_FHD/TB-8705F/ . I downloaded the top one (TB-8705F_S100099_200706_BMP.zip) which I believe to be the equivalent of Android 9. I extracted the zip in my home directory and then flashed the system.img file in fastboot mode hoping to downgrade my device from the wretched Android 10. Anyway, it then gets trapped in a bootloop. Can anyone tell me how to prevent the bootloop? My pc is linuxmint btw, and also if I use the same process for either of the other two zips on the link, they work (but I don't want the Android 10 OS). Thanks!

You probably need to flash the boot (patched) image as well.

blackpinkfn2

Jul 25, 2021
You need to patch it with Magisk.
So create a patched Magisk and boot image(Android 9) with Android 10 and flash as boot partition?

Edit: I attempted to use a patched boot.img/magisk. I flashed it and also flashed the system partiion, again, nothing but the same old bootloop. UGH!!! Thank you for you help btw, what else do you suggest?

Last edited:

lichan

Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
So create a patched Magisk and boot image(Android 9) with Android 10 and flash as boot partition?

Edit: I attempted to use a patched boot.img/magisk. I flashed it and also flashed the system partiion, again, nothing but the same old bootloop. UGH!!! Thank you for you help btw, what else do you suggest?
Read this entire thread. Earlier in it is a method to downgrade from Android 10 to 9. You will have to undo what you did and return your tablet to operable Android 10 and then proceed with the "Russian" method. I installed TWRP and rooted with Magisk on my Android 10 version of TB-8505F and it's running fine. I don't see problems with the version of 1 on it which is at least 1 update old now.

blackpinkfn2

Jul 25, 2021
Do your notifications work?
Read this entire thread. Earlier in it is a method to downgrade from Android 10 to 9. You will have to undo what you did and return your tablet to operable Android 10 and then proceed with the "Russian" method. I installed TWRP and rooted with Magisk on my Android 10 version of TB-8505F and it's running fine. I don't see problems with the version of 1 on it which is at least 1 update old now.

blackpinkfn2

Jul 25, 2021
Alrighty everyone, I wish I could explain what a wild, time-consuming ride this has been, but there is too much to say. Basically, I HAVE downgraded my Lenovo tab m8 FHD to android 9 (YAY!). During the process, I hard-bricked it twice and learned how to recover it. I repaired my boot files to restore my grub on my laptop after a windows multi-boot to save the tablet, and I upgraded my laptop bios. These were all new experiences filled with hours of reading from other geniuses who have already been through what I have. I suppose my conclusion is just a thank you to all those who helped me both in this forum and elsewhere. I hope to provide help to others now who may struggle in the same areas as I! Good luck!

_altanus_

Aug 13, 2021
I finally figured out how to port a TWRP for this device.
This is for the Lenovo tab M8 FHD TB-8705F running the following version TB_8705F_S300022_201015_BMP
I can't log into TWRP, but I asked for it without errors. The difference is that I have 9 android, ...200706. Works only on 10 android, on 9 android does not work.
Can you help?

Last edited:

_altanus_

Aug 13, 2021
Last edited:

_altanus_

Aug 13, 2021
You can follow the guide that is linked in my post.
Unfortunately, the topic has been closed for a long time.
It turned out to disassemble and assemble your version. I made it myself for 10 android, it works. But I made an android for 9, but it does not start. I don't know what's the matter, I've tried it many times. What exactly is the problem is not clear.
If I could help, I will be extremely grateful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the 8505FS as was able to update to Android 10, install the twrp listed above for the 8505F. Then I installed magisk via twrp and the vp meta zip listed above. The device is now rooted, and I used the magisk debloat script to remove unwanted apps. No issues thus far.
    Just a heads-up - I've booted both LOS 17 (Android 10) and 18 (Android 11) GSIs on my M8 FHD. It's just a matter of flashing vbmeta to disable verity/verification, then flashing system in fastboot - rather easy and painless. While GSIs aren't device-specific ROMs, for niche devices like ours it's the next best thing - though it won't run smooth due to our low-end SoC. Feel free to try out other GSIs as well.
    Screenshot_20210119-214855_Settings.png
    Thanks friend, I installed your TWRP port - works great.
    I finally figured out how to port a TWRP for this device.
    This is for the Lenovo tab M8 FHD TB-8705F running the following version TB_8705F_S300022_201015_BMP
    Please find the file attached here.
    To make this work you will need to flash the vbmeta.img with the option --disable-verification. Some say you need the vbmeta.img to be an empty image file I'm attaching such a file here as well.

Use this at your own peril.

If you would like to try your hand at porting it yourself I used This guide. It was very helpful.

Tried your TWRP and got stuck in a boot loop. Then realized I was on the 8505f not the 8705f heh. Ill get an 8505f image up here in a moment. Good effort btw.
    Hello,
    I recently purchased the Lenovo tab m8 to replace the outdated navigation system in my car. I thought that since it came with a dock station that I would be able to connect the otg cable on the micro USB port. However this does not work, if it’s charging on the dock and I connect the OTG it stops charging. Does anyone know how I can die both things simultaneously?
    Look here: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cable-to-Use-OTG-and-Simultaneously-Charge-the/
    @harvey186
    See post #63 for a TWRP image.

I'm not sure what method you're using, but you can go to the Lolinet mirror link for full images (just match your tablet model, go to the parent directory if you have an 87xx model, find the right one).