Lenovo tab m8

Search This thread

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
well i think i boot looped mine trying to root. i successfully unlocked the bootloader then tried patching using magisk and im sure i got the right boot image and stock rom.. but i patched them in the wrong order and now the tablet wont stop looping into the lenovo screen. can anyone help?
Just boot into fastboot and restart the flash and flash in the right order.

see this post or Here.

Reactions: LagMaster420

MindOverMatt

Dec 14, 2021
I'm trying to install LineageOS 17.1 on my Lenovo M8 8505F from Linux Mint. The tablet came with Android 10 new-out-of-box. I'm currently stuck in an infinite boot loop. Here's what I did:
I installed adb and fastboot using apt-get.
I followed steps 1-12 from post #42 in this thread. The tablet went into a boot loop (Orange state).
I panicked on the 4th reboot, and accidentally skipped to step 6 from #43. I flashed the vbmeta.img file from TB_8505F_S300361_211023_BMP.zip, and rebooted.

When I boot normally, I get an infinite boot loop (no messages) with the Lenovo screen. I can't boot into Recovery, but I can boot to fastboot.

If there's a simple fix (or any fix) to undo what I did, I don't know it. Can someone please help?

Also, when I get LIneageOS installed, I plan to put OpenGApps on it as well. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
I'm trying to install LineageOS 17.1 on my Lenovo M8 8505F from Linux Mint. The tablet came with Android 10 new-out-of-box. I'm currently stuck in an infinite boot loop. Here's what I did:
I installed adb and fastboot using apt-get.
I followed steps 1-12 from post #42 in this thread. The tablet went into a boot loop (Orange state).
I panicked on the 4th reboot, and accidentally skipped to step 6 from #43. I flashed the vbmeta.img file from TB_8505F_S300361_211023_BMP.zip, and rebooted.

When I boot normally, I get an infinite boot loop (no messages) with the Lenovo screen. I can't boot into Recovery, but I can boot to fastboot.

If there's a simple fix (or any fix) to undo what I did, I don't know it. Can someone please help?

Also, when I get LIneageOS installed, I plan to put OpenGApps on it as well. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Just start again from step 5 of post #43 that should work.

MindOverMatt

Dec 14, 2021
I can't start from step 5 of post #43, since I haven't done anything yet with Magisk. I skipped directly from step 12 of post #42 to step 6 of post #43, without doing anything in between.
Before my original post, my M8 had been in a boot loop for a little over 2 hours, with no change. I can't even start from step 13 of post #42.

Last edited:

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
By the way, I don't think you should be flashing anything except the patched image and the disable verification. Flashing recovery bricked mine one time too.
Itemize what you did. Basically you need to first restore your device to what it was. It depends on what you have done.

You can also rescue your device with Lenovo's Rescue and Smart Assistant (LMSA). Go to there site and download this software. In the software you can reinstall the latest version of the firmware.

kojam

Sep 17, 2007
Pretend like this "1" starts at "15" from the previous post.... damn 2000 char limit....
  1. Enable USB Debugging again (Step 4-5)
  2. Grab the boot.img and vbmeta.img from the LMSA TB_8505FS_S300025_201015_BMP update. Copy the boot.img to the tablet, taking note of the location (e.g., ./adb push boot.img /sdcard/)
  3. Install latest version of Magisk Manager (doesn't need to be the Canary version, can be the regular version) and patch the boot image.
    1. Clicked on "Install" on the righthand top in magisk manager
    2. Clicked on "Next" Righthand top.
    3. Selected "Select and Patch a File".
    4. picked the boot.img file I had copied in step 1. Take note of the location of the patched image (magisk_patched.img), and copy it to your PC.
  4. Reboot into bootloader again (./adb reboot bootloader)
  5. Flash the magisk patched boot.img ./fastboot flash boot path/to/magisk_patched.img
  6. Flash the VB meta with the disable-verification flag ./fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta path/to/vbmeta.img
  7. Flashed the magisk patched boot.img AGAIN!!!!!! (this part is key, otherwise you'll bootloop) ./fastboot flash boot path/to/magisk_patched.img
  8. Reboot, you should now be rooted (can confirm in Magisk Manager) ./fastboot reboot

This will have you in a rooted, unlocked bootloader status. I have NOT yet tried the steps from the FHD version of the tab to see if I can get TWRP running. But this is a start. :)
Got myself into a little boot loop headache here because I have a diff model but used this file. My fault. Totally too busy of a life these days to pay attention to what I'm doing...
Got the Lenovo LMSA program. GARBAGE! No help!
Got the right stock firmware after a few days. Found some fastboot commands and restore it within 5 steps. EASIEST ever! Completed your procedure with the intent of putting a custom ROM on after but it's sooooooo much better now without doing so. I remembered that I had liked it soooo much when I first got it last year but an update turned it into GARBAGE and a PAIN to use. I remembered that ppl said it's great under Android 9, so have now turned off updates. Am sooooo happy with it again. Only thing i need is something that can help me to better control the volume. It's always been too loud, even at the lowest volume setting.. It doesn't get as quiet as it should. They volume increments are terribly programmed on this. I've seen one person on the Lenovo forums complaining and know that we can't be the only 2.
Does anyong know of an apk that help to have better control over volume settings?
I'm so happy that I got my little speed demon back! Totally found this post by accident. I don't really come on XDA anymore. Just don't have the time that I used to. LIFE!

Thanks!

Isrgish

Jan 5, 2018
Got myself into a little boot loop headache here because I have a diff model but used this file. My fault. Totally too busy of a life these days to pay attention to what I'm doing...
Got the Lenovo LMSA program. GARBAGE! No help!
Why is it garbage? I have had very good experience with it. Even though you can only get the latest version with it.

MindOverMatt

Dec 14, 2021
No such luck. I ended up having to contact Lenovo support; fortunately, my warranty was still valid, so they were able to help me. Long story short, my tablet is back up and running with Android 9 (build TB-8505F_S100145_200901_BMP).

Anyway, I started over, this time with more patience & caution. I plan to install AndyYan's lineage-18.1-20211214-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img GSI, downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-18.x. Then I plan to install arm64 Open GApps for Android 10.

I've gotten through all the steps from #42, and step 1 from #43; also, I downloaded TB-8505F_S100145_200901_BMP.zip from https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/lenovo/Tab_8/TB-8505F, and extracted boot.img and vbmeta.img. So far, so good.

Anything I need to know before continuing? I may as well admit I'm more or less a novice at this, as my fiasco with the boot loop earlier (not to mention my failures to fix it) will attest.

LagMaster420

Oct 21, 2019
I managed to root it for now, using magisk_manager.apk and a boot.img, I extracted from a file named "TB-8505F_S100133_200316_BMP.zip" (which is the latest firmware for the M8-8085F)
am unable to find any TWRP for the device.
but at least: got root now.
I confirm this. My TB-8505FS situation is similar. In order to patch magisk, I had to flash vbmeta with --disable-verification.

I would like to complain that this operation broke my updates. Good thing the rescue tool exists for official firmware

kojam

Sep 17, 2007
What the heck?! Mine started running like molasses running uphill on a cold cold day. Slooooooooooow!!! I think it updated to Android 10 even though I blocked updates! Have to check.

kojam

Sep 17, 2007
No such luck. I ended up having to contact Lenovo support; fortunately, my warranty was still valid, so they were able to help me. Long story short, my tablet is back up and running with Android 9 (build TB-8505F_S100145_200901_BMP).

Anyway, I started over, this time with more patience & caution. I plan to install AndyYan's lineage-18.1-20211214-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvS.img GSI, downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-18.x. Then I plan to install arm64 Open GApps for Android 10.

I've gotten through all the steps from #42, and step 1 from #43; also, I downloaded TB-8505F_S100145_200901_BMP.zip from https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/lenovo/Tab_8/TB-8505F, and extracted boot.img and vbmeta.img. So far, so good.

Anything I need to know before continuing? I may as well admit I'm more or less a novice at this, as my fiasco with the boot loop earlier (not to mention my failures to fix it) will attest.
AndyYan? Interesting! Haven't been into this customizing stuff for a while. Which should I get? How to I flash this? I need TWRP, right? Are there steps?

LagMaster420

Oct 21, 2019
What the heck?! Mine started running like molasses running uphill on a cold cold day. Slooooooooooow!!! I think it updated to Android 10 even though I blocked updates! Have to check.
perhaps check the logs for an update, or whatever was keeping your system busy during this time? You may use ps -l or top with sudo. Or, you could get one of those resource monitors that shows how much RAM you have. Andr0id is actually *** ** **** when it comes to showing what exactly is hogging your resources. Unlike WIndows, Mac, and Linux, Android will obscure and abstract things which slow you down. Assuming of course it wasn't low battery voltage or something.
...also, it's normally slow on startup

LagMaster420

Oct 21, 2019
M8 THIRD GEN COMING OUT!

Hey everyone, as of 01/17/2022 they don't have the Tab M8 in store anymore in my neighborhood. The second generation Tab M8 is gone, but the third generation is coming. It was just recently released, and is considerably better in each way.

LagMaster420

Oct 21, 2019
Just boot into fastboot and restart the flash and flash in the right order.

see this post or Here.
You could also use the Lenovo Smart Rescue Assistant if you really mess up
AndyYan? Interesting! Haven't been into this customizing stuff for a while. Which should I get? How to I flash this? I need TWRP, right? Are there steps?
You could also use the Lenovo Smart Rescue Assistant

You may be asking what is the LMSA, or Rescue and Smart Assistant. Here is the official link:

It downloads the official firmware, which you can then find in the program's working directory. Easy. Requires minimal hacking skill. LMSA Updates your device while it's at it though, and that's mandatory.

EDIT: I believe you can downgrade the OS easily on this thing too, if you wanted

kojam

Sep 17, 2007
perhaps check the logs for an update, or whatever was keeping your system busy during this time? You may use ps -l or top with sudo. Or, you could get one of those resource monitors that shows how much RAM you have. Andr0id is actually *** ** **** when it comes to showing what exactly is hogging your resources. Unlike WIndows, Mac, and Linux, Android will obscure and abstract things which slow you down. Assuming of course it wasn't low battery voltage or something.
...also, it's normally slow on startup
Thanks. I had just re-installed the O/S and blocked updates because it was running beautifully on Android 9. I noticed that it still updated and then was slow again. There was a new update. I decided to install tonight. see how it goes...will downgrade to 9 if it sucks

MindOverMatt

Dec 14, 2021

Okay, I followed the remaining steps from #43. The only complication I had was getting the boot.img file onto the sd card (heaven knows where it went), so I plugged the sd card into my laptop, and copied over boot.img directly.

In any case, I managed to get root, I think. Step 8 from #43 says I can confirm root in Magisk Manager, but I don't know where to look. Also, are there any instructions for installing a custom ROM, and for that matter, Open GApps?

Edit: No need to tell me to perform any kind of backup. My tablet is essentially new-out-of-box, and I haven't put anything on it worth keeping. There's nothing I want to keep anyway, aside from maybe a couple of wallpapers from the stock image.

Last edited:

kojam

Sep 17, 2007
I have the LMSA for awhile now. Are u saying that I can use it to flash custom ROMs?

lichan

Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City

Did you have to repartition the memory in order to install the Lineage 18.1 GSI? If you're successful please list out your steps with enough detail to follow and try it. Thanks.

MindOverMatt

Dec 14, 2021
I discovered from the Mobile Assistant app on my M8, the tablet is indeed rooted. So that's one hurdle down.

I saw earlier in this thread (specifically, #154) that I can use LMSA to flash a custom ROM to the M8; or at least, that's the impression I got. Assuming that's true, how do I do this? LMSA so far hasn't let me try to flash anything other than a stock ROM.
Did you have to repartition the memory in order to install the Lineage 18.1 GSI? If you're successful please list out your steps with enough detail to follow and try it. Thanks.
You flatter me. My experience with rooting tablets & installing custom OSes on them is totally limited to following other people's instructions. I'm smart, but I've never been brave enough to do more than that on my own.

MindOverMatt

Dec 14, 2021
Okay, so that could've gone worse...
Here's what I did:
  • booted to fastboot, and flashed a TWRP to recovery.
  • used adb reboot recovery to reboot recovery (no other method did anything), and bricked the M8.
  • used LMSA to try to flash a stock ROM (I didn't note which one) to my M8, and got caught in a Red State boot loop.
  • rebooted to fastboot, and flashed recovery.img from TB-8505F_S100145_200901_BMP.zip.
Now I'm stuck in a boot loop in Orange State, though I can still boot to fastboot. Any suggestions to get my M8 to boot properly? If this isn't possible, how do I get it back to original factory conditions so I can re-root it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I managed to root it for now, using magisk_manager.apk and a boot.img, I extracted from a file named "TB-8505F_S100133_200316_BMP.zip" (which is the latest firmware for the M8-8085F)
    am unable to find any TWRP for the device.
    but at least: got root now.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    Hello,
    I recently purchased the Lenovo tab m8 to replace the outdated navigation system in my car. I thought that since it came with a dock station that I would be able to connect the otg cable on the micro USB port. However this does not work, if it’s charging on the dock and I connect the OTG it stops charging. Does anyone know how I can die both things simultaneously?
    Look here: https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Cable-to-Use-OTG-and-Simultaneously-Charge-the/
    Just a heads-up - I've booted both LOS 17 (Android 10) and 18 (Android 11) GSIs on my M8 FHD. It's just a matter of flashing vbmeta to disable verity/verification, then flashing system in fastboot - rather easy and painless. While GSIs aren't device-specific ROMs, for niche devices like ours it's the next best thing - though it won't run smooth due to our low-end SoC. Feel free to try out other GSIs as well.
    Screenshot_20210119-214855_Settings.png
    Thanks friend, I installed your TWRP port - works great.
    I finally figured out how to port a TWRP for this device.
    This is for the Lenovo tab M8 FHD TB-8705F running the following version TB_8705F_S300022_201015_BMP
    Please find the file attached here.
    To make this work you will need to flash the vbmeta.img with the option --disable-verification. Some say you need the vbmeta.img to be an empty image file I'm attaching such a file here as well.

Use this at your own peril.

If you would like to try your hand at porting it yourself I used This guide. It was very helpful.

Tried your TWRP and got stuck in a boot loop. Then realized I was on the 8505f not the 8705f heh. Ill get an 8505f image up here in a moment. Good effort btw.
    Hi,
    managed to unlock the bootloader on TB-8505X by connecting it to an apple mac instead of W7. Worked via ADB and fastboot, without need to install USB drivers manually.

What would be the next advisable step(s) to take in order to achieve root?
    I had a look @ the TWRP site, but there was no TWRP recovery offered for the TB8505F/X.

Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers!

1. Go to Lenovo site and download Rescue and smart assistant. Install and run.
    2. On the rescue tab you can download the firmware for your tab (it needs to be connected to the PC).
    3. Goto where you downloaded the firmware. In the RomFiles folder find the boot.img file. copy it to your device.
    4. Install Magisk Manager on your device. Run and select install. select the option to patch a file and select the boot.img file you copied to your device.
    5. markdown the location that magisk shows where it saved the patched file. Copy this file back to your PC.
    6. Flash the file to your device with fastboot flash boot <patched file location>
    7. reboot your device and run again magisk manager this should install the magisk zip file and you are rooted.