lenovo TB-x306f how to root and flash recovery help

Search This thread

deanventure

May 2, 2011
ok so i did everything so far as well as install the mtk drivers from the first link but for some reason i am still getting waiting for any device. i am not super knowledgeable about the inner workings of software so i am unsure if i am missing anything that might not be outright explained.
i have been rooting android for years, but this one just isnt working for me.
any advice?

I guess it is because of MTK drivers. Have you downloaded the file "MTK_USB_All_v1.0.8.zip" ? First you decompress it, after that run .exe file and it will create four folders with installers. I have run all of them in the order, although for some of them (first two if I remember well) I have received the message that the installation failed. After that it worked for me.

Reactions: borja113

deanventure

May 2, 2011
I guess it is because of MTK drivers. Have you downloaded the file "MTK_USB_All_v1.0.8.zip" ? First you decompress it, after that run .exe file and it will create four folders with installers. I have run all of them in the order, although for some of them (first two if I remember well) I have received the message that the installation failed. After that it worked for me.
That was it thank you!

Jul 12, 2016
Thanks to everyone here for the work in helping get this work. I find that the processor is incredibly weak/slow but for $60 it's hard to want anything more. Hope we can keep working on this.

01/05/22
After the newest factory reset I'm getting system updates. Not sure if this is going to lock us out of any exploits that were used to get root privileges. Updates to come

Hello231

Jul 25, 2021
Thanks to everyone here for the work in helping get this work. I find that the processor is incredibly weak/slow but for $60 it's hard to want anything more. Hope we can keep working on this.

01/05/22
After the newest factory reset I'm getting system updates. Not sure if this is going to lock us out of any exploits that were used to get root privileges. Updates to come
Ok Im a bit late but can you please write a detailed tutorial on how to unlock bootloader download mtk drivers root and so on because I was trying Ike 3 months and I gave up couldn't find anything but got back on to it hopefully I will be able to root it

LesGirauds

Jul 27, 2013
France
Nexus 7
OnePlus X
Thanks to @Chairos I was able to root my Lenovo. Not that it stayed that way for long, and I restored it with the Lenovo Rescue Tool.

I wanted to know IF I could do it and, if there was a custom rom for my device, I'd probably do it again :)

Reactions: Chairos

Chairos

May 31, 2016
Ok Im a bit late but can you please write a detailed tutorial on how to unlock bootloader download mtk drivers root and so on because I was trying Ike 3 months and I gave up couldn't find anything but got back on to it hopefully I will be able to root it
Hi @Hello231 , sadly I don't own the same tablet model as you, so I can't guarantee that the method will work with yours. It could easily be that you're the first attempting to root that model. Is there a specific problem you're encountering?

edsoedso

Dec 13, 2012
Tirana
I found the way. Vbmeta and boot.img should be taken exactly for the model you have. I have TB-x306XD and the stock rom should be exactly for this model.

antonxda2

Jan 22, 2012
Hello, I also have the Lenovo Tab M10 HD TB-X306F

tb-x306f_s100152_210205_bmp

but it is not going quite well, I would like to know if there is any official rom or not that can make the tablet run more smoothly,

Edito:
Through the pc and the application I have updated to android 11.

Last edited:

mckennascole

Dec 8, 2012
Isn't still there a TWRP for X306F Android 10? Updating the system software and Magisk is a pain when rooted...

edsoedso

Dec 13, 2012
Tirana

but it is not going quite well, I would like to know if there is any official rom or not that can make the tablet run more smoothly,

Edito:
Can you please present a guide how you did it? Thank you!

Reactions: tmpodxlr

tmpodxlr

Jun 17, 2022
Following @doink_doink 's post (and some bootloops after...) I finally managed to root my Lenovo M10 HD 2 gen (TB-X306X) with magisk. I'll attempt to write a simple guide for who's still interested with rooting this kind of devices since there's not much literature online.

Rooting Lenovo M10 X306X (should also work for other models)
I am by no means held responsible for eventual damage you can inflict on your device, follow the underlying steps of your own accord.

Desktop Tools:
Minimal ADB and Fastboot
Lenovo Rescue Smart Assistant (LRSA from now on)
MTK (Mediatek) Preload Drivers (If your device isn't listed in fastboot)

Mobile Tools:
Magisk Manager App

Steps:
1 - From LRSA click on "Rescue" Tab
2 - Select the model of your tablet and then download
3 - From "Downloads" in the top right corner of the LRSA, click on "Open" to go into the LRSA download folder
4 - Connect your device and set it into USB Debugging and File Transfer
5 - Copy boot.img from LRSA download folder into the device's download folder
6 - Run Magisk Manager App on your device
7 - From Magisk Manager App choose "Install" on the right side of Magisk
8 - Choose the only option "Select and patch a file"
9 - Choose the boot.img you previously copied into the device's download folder
10 - Copy the new file "patched_boot.img" or similar name to the folder where Minimal ADB and Fastboot was installed
11 - Copy the file vbmeta.img from LRSA download folder to Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder
12 - From your device's settings enable developer options and enable OEM Unlock
13 - Execute a cmd session with administrator privileges
14 - Execute in the cmd: adb reboot bootloader (if everything went right the device should reboot in fastboot mode)
15 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot flashing unlock
16 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
17 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
18 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot reboot

The device should correctly reboot and everything should be good to go now.
If something bad happens, like a bootloop or something, turn off the device and use the LRSA to rescue your device.

I am trying this from Linux, using Wine to run LRSA. I quickly created an account with a throwaway email address but now I can't login because the page just doesn't load (stuck in that fancy spinner thingy), and the legacy login says my email/password is wrong, despite me having triple checked them.
Has anyone faced this issue? If so, how did you solve it?
Is there any other way to get the boot.img and vbmeta.img?
Thank you in advance.

tmpodxlr

Jun 17, 2022
I ended up "fixing" this by just using an old Windows laptop I had lying around. Got Magisk flashed and root working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Following @doink_doink 's post (and some bootloops after...) I finally managed to root my Lenovo M10 HD 2 gen (TB-X306X) with magisk. I'll attempt to write a simple guide for who's still interested with rooting this kind of devices since there's not much literature online.

Rooting Lenovo M10 X306X (should also work for other models)
    I am by no means held responsible for eventual damage you can inflict on your device, follow the underlying steps of your own accord.

Desktop Tools:
    Minimal ADB and Fastboot
    Lenovo Rescue Smart Assistant (LRSA from now on)
    MTK (Mediatek) Preload Drivers (If your device isn't listed in fastboot)

Mobile Tools:
    Magisk Manager App

Steps:
    1 - From LRSA click on "Rescue" Tab
    2 - Select the model of your tablet and then download
    3 - From "Downloads" in the top right corner of the LRSA, click on "Open" to go into the LRSA download folder
    4 - Connect your device and set it into USB Debugging and File Transfer
    5 - Copy boot.img from LRSA download folder into the device's download folder
    6 - Run Magisk Manager App on your device
    7 - From Magisk Manager App choose "Install" on the right side of Magisk
    8 - Choose the only option "Select and patch a file"
    9 - Choose the boot.img you previously copied into the device's download folder
    10 - Copy the new file "patched_boot.img" or similar name to the folder where Minimal ADB and Fastboot was installed
    11 - Copy the file vbmeta.img from LRSA download folder to Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder
    12 - From your device's settings enable developer options and enable OEM Unlock
    13 - Execute a cmd session with administrator privileges
    14 - Execute in the cmd: adb reboot bootloader (if everything went right the device should reboot in fastboot mode)
    15 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot flashing unlock
    16 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    17 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    18 - Execute in the cmd: fastboot reboot

The device should correctly reboot and everything should be good to go now.
    If something bad happens, like a bootloop or something, turn off the device and use the LRSA to rescue your device.
    So just a tip for those that are looking for a guide to do a complete bootloader unlock for TB-X306F, there isn't one. I found a bunch of different ways to go about unlocking the bootloader from different Lenovo devices. First thing is that you need Minimal ABD Fastboot v1.4.3 if Platform Tools or LeTools doesn't work. Use CMD with admin rights, not PowerShell.
    Everything else to unlock it is the same from all the guides out there. Make sure to use "fastboot flashing unlock" when unlocking instead of "fastboot oem unlock" or "fastboot oem unlock-go" if they dont work.

Second tip is for root when installing the Magisk patched boot image. While you're getting the boot.img, make sure to also grab the vbmeta.img from the ROM folder and place it in the Minimal ADB Fastboot folder where you will be using CMD. Do all the steps to get the patched boot image. Once you got the boot.img patched, enter fastboot then enter the command "fastboot --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img" This will disable verification needed to boot correctly. After that, enter the command "fastboot flash boot <name of .img>" like normal to flash the patched boot.img from magisk. Then fastboot reboot.

This is what I did to get my TB-X306F unlocked and rooted. YMMV.

Different threads that I read to get to where I got, credit goes to them:
    I second that. There's nothing out there.
    What I tried was to download the original ROM patch the boot.img with magical, replace in LMSA download folder and start a rescue. Didn't help. Got boot loop.
    Ok, maybe a bit more details on what I tried already:
    1. Enabled developer options. Good.
    2. OEM unlocked. ADB connected. Good.
    3. Boot to bootloader working. Good.
    4. fastboot not listing the device after fastboot devices. Not good.
    5. Googling around, found an universal root method with Magisk. Good.
    6. Donwloaded, installed and ran RSA (Lenovo Rescue and Smart Assistant). Connected to device. Good.
    7. Entered Rescue and using that downloaded the original ROM. Good.
    C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles\TB_X306F_S100134_210120_BMP
    8. Copied boot.img to device, installed MagiskManager, patched image with magisk, downloaded the image to PC, replaced the original boot image with the patched one. Good.
    9. Started the Rescue procedure in RSA. Rom flased. Good.
    10. Bootloop. Bad.

No idea why would that not work, any help, pointers, ideas appreciated.

EDIT: There's a new ROM version now: TB_X306F_S100152_210205_BMP

Edito:
    Can you please present a guide how you did it? Thank you!