Lenovo X606F LineageOS 19.0 GSI Upgrade

Search This thread

enunna

Sep 8, 2022
This looks great, but Andy Yan just came out of nowhere with a custom unofficial ROM. Can't find anything else about "Andy Yan". I'd be a bit wary about installing it on my system without knowing the provenance.

vassiliszacharis

Account currently disabled
Oct 6, 2020
GB
meettomy.site
This looks great, but Andy Yan just came out of nowhere with a custom unofficial ROM. Can't find anything else about "Andy Yan". I'd be a bit wary about installing it on my system without knowing the provenance.
Can you explain all the TWRP steps that you followed please 🙏 cause I didn't manage to install it! It gives me an error of ROM is not installed

slrvin

Oct 24, 2022
Hey Everyone,

Just got my hands on an X606F and as usually I could not stand the stock Android 10 OS.

I eventually took a chance and tested flashing the LineageOS 19 GSI from Andy Yan (Android 12), and it worked out extremely well. Everything worked out of the gate, I installed the version with Gapps preloaded and that worked as well. I basically follow this guide, but swapped the custom rom with the one linked below from Andy Yan.

Use this guide:
https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-tb-x6...d-11-android-12-and-root-with-magisk.4376127/

only difference is DO NOT INSTALL MAGISK AS THIS ROM IS ALREADY ROOTED.

But Swap CAOS11 rom with the one below here. I personally find LineageOS my favorite of all the alternative ROMs out there so I am happy i got this to work.

Andy Yan's LineagOS GSI build (Use this one)
lineage-19.0-20220211-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bgS.img.xz
Link to folder with other builds (No Gapps...etc)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-19.x/

IF anyone has any questions let me know.

Cheers,

SniperFox

Many thanks for this great tutorial. I was able to follow the guide and install LineageOS. Same version you mentioned. Unfortunately, when restarting, the tablet is blocked in FASTBOOT mode instead of start properly the OS. Any suggestion? Thanks again!!

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
GB
meettomy.site
Many thanks for this great tutorial. I was able to follow the guide and install LineageOS. Same version you mentioned. Unfortunately, when restarting, the tablet is blocked in FASTBOOT mode instead of start properly the OS. Any suggestion? Thanks again!!
Can I ask you please all the required steps that you have been followed in TWRP for custom ROM installation? I did that once and cannot remember. Thus I got a message OS is not installed and I am stuck on Lenovo logo bootloop. Thanks in advance. I am trying to install lineage or CAOS via SD card

AloneOnTheDark

Sep 28, 2011
Tuscany
i9100
OnePlus 3T
I tried Andy's GSI but the tablet doesn't recognize the insertion of the headphones and the audio comes out from the headphones and speakers. This is a rom problem, because now I'm again on original rom and it works. Anyone with this problem?

EDIT
Never mind, I found the options but they are not work for my case. I use the headphone output as a "line out" for an amplifier, and this configuration doesn't detect the headphones as "connected". Took a step back and go back to the original rom.

Last edited:

Sukuoru

Apr 30, 2012
How do you actually use Root in these ROMs? The Sourceforge page mentions "S: *Built* with PHH Superuser (app needed)" but if you install "phh's SuperUser 1.0.3.3" APK, nothing actually asks for permission, though on restarts it will complain the Superuser binary is out of date.

Also, any idea what is happening with System Settings > Phh Treble Settings > Customization features > System UI Tuner > Navigation bar? All options in this menu seem to crash. I have tried a couple variants of this rom, same behavior.

CAOS booted once, then after a reboot just stalled at the CAOS logo.

Gonna keep playing around, seems nicer than the stock ROM. I wasn't able to use LMSA to go back to stock, I get to the point where it wants me to hold Volume Up and plug in the device, and I do so, but nothing happens. Any ideas there? Not sure if it's worth the effort, though I have never tried Ubuntu Touch.

applyscience

Nov 25, 2016
OnePlus 9
Edit: never mind this comment. Seems they all are treble, his readme breaks down the system naming convention and I'm pretty sure I have many options here. I just need to wake up first before I attempt this.

Thank you for the post, OP.

download is gone. seems this dev no longer builds treble variations for 19. any suggestions? would any of the other builds work?

Last edited:
Reactions: vassiliszacharis

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
GB
meettomy.site
Edit: never mind this comment. Seems they all are treble, his readme breaks down the system naming convention and I'm pretty sure I have many options here. I just need to wake up first before I attempt this.

Thank you for the post, OP.

download is gone. seems this dev no longer builds treble variations for 19. any suggestions? would any of the other builds work?
Indeed mate I have the exact same question, bgs.img, Andy Yan leaneage OS 19 and 20 no longer available... I am looking for alternatives

applyscience

Nov 25, 2016
OnePlus 9
Indeed mate I have the exact same question, bgs.img, Andy Yan leaneage OS 19 and 20 no longer available... I am looking for alternatives

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tr...21/caos-v316-220321-arm64-bgZ.img.xz/download

is what you want for Lenovo X606F. I just flashed the image in TWRP.

I didnt even format before flashing it (something id usually never try when i flash my daily driver phone) and everything just loaded up perfectly.

if you have TWRP, its worth a shot, itf it doesn't work, reboot and format then flash.

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
GB
meettomy.site
If you want one of the 19 Lineage roms you can find some in the history filder... I see the newest as this one:

Worked on my tablet. Not tested a lot yet. I am looking for a very fast minimal smooth rom... not sure Lineage is it.
Indeed that's working, bgs, though I am not quite sure if bgN version works as well. Besides I am looking for leaneage 20 - android 13 to install. I want to ask if someone installed GSI based on android 13.... have you found a better ROM mate?

ahdung

Dec 5, 2022
I upgraded this, then I upgrade to offical rom with MediaTek SP flash tool, failed, now can only enter to FASTBOOT mode, can't enter to recovery mode. PC device manager no effect when plug at pad shutdown state. At fastboot mode plug to pc, device manager can detected Android ADB Interface, but "adb.exe devices" can't found anything, so sad, please someone help!

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
GB
meettomy.site
I upgraded this, then I upgrade to offical rom with MediaTek SP flash tool, failed, now can only enter to FASTBOOT mode, can't enter to recovery mode. PC device manager no effect when plug at pad shutdown state. At fastboot mode plug to pc, device manager can detected Android ADB Interface, but "adb.exe devices" can't found anything, so sad, please someone help!
Download Rescue and Smart Assistant (LMSA) an official Lenovo tool installs on PC. Then follow instructions and you will install the official ROM mate 😊

Tymoteo

Apr 4, 2011
Trying to install custom rom on this tablet but am facing some issues and dont know what i'm missing
managed to instal twrp but after flashing rom system wont boot and suck in fastboot

noticed that twrp adb wont work should it?
only managed to install rom through install in twrp install image ... should I install in system partition?
done the wipe format first then install rom
after flashing custom rom i'm getting failed to mount /system_root in twrp logs after restart
tried a bunch of different roms including this one
If you want one of the 19 Lineage roms you can find some in the history filder... I see the newest as this one:

Worked on my tablet. Not tested a lot yet. I am looking for a very fast minimal smooth rom... not sure Lineage is it.
with no success
tried flashing the stock rom and then clean install but it wont work...

Any ideas?

maurizus

Feb 2, 2023
guys i was trying to flash lineage but now i m stuck at the boot with the logo. how can i flash the stock img or zip file?

kamrim

Jun 11, 2013
I installed Android 13 from this link (lineage-20-td/lineage-20.0-20230115-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bvS.img.xz). It works, someone put IT, if so, I would like to talk.

vassiliszacharis

Oct 6, 2020
GB
meettomy.site
Andy Yan has lots of new builds and I had success using lineage-19.1-20230323-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgN.img.xz 2023-03-23, however lineage-20.0-20230324-UNOFFICIAL-arm64_bgN.img.xz stays on Lineage OS logo forever while booting...

Lineage OS 19 is based on Android 12, while 20 is based on Android 13... Has anyone succeeded in installing any gsi based on Android 13 on this Lenovo X606F?
Can you explain the process of installing it via twrp mate? It failed while I was trying to install it 😭

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Everyone,

Just got my hands on an X606F and as usually I could not stand the stock Android 10 OS.

I eventually took a chance and tested flashing the LineageOS 19 GSI from Andy Yan (Android 12), and it worked out extremely well. Everything worked out of the gate, I installed the version with Gapps preloaded and that worked as well. I basically follow this guide, but swapped the custom rom with the one linked below from Andy Yan.

Use this guide:
    https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-tb-x6...d-11-android-12-and-root-with-magisk.4376127/

only difference is DO NOT INSTALL MAGISK AS THIS ROM IS ALREADY ROOTED.

But Swap CAOS11 rom with the one below here. I personally find LineageOS my favorite of all the alternative ROMs out there so I am happy i got this to work.

Andy Yan's LineagOS GSI build (Use this one)
    lineage-19.0-20220211-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bgS.img.xz
    Link to folder with other builds (No Gapps...etc)
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-19.x/

IF anyone has any questions let me know.

Cheers,

SniperFox
    I’ve tried LineageOS on X606X (LTE version) and I was not lucky. Settings app was crashing each time I went to network settings. Screen was always on or always off. Only way to switch from one to another was to connect or to disconnect USB cable. Any option in settings for screen was not working.

I can confirm that TWRP for TB-X606F/TB-X606FA is working fine on this model.

I tried also CAOS11 but it was a bit laggy. Everything worked, but when I started to mess with Magisk it didn’t want to boot anymore. So I’m back to stock, and confident that one day I will find working Android 12 for this model.
    I'm going to plop this question down here, but it's only sort of relevant: what is going on with the navigation bar? My home/back/recents button are all in the bottom right corner of the bar and in the centre are icons for play store, camera, and something else.
    How do I go back? I can't find any of the options. I tried this ROM, CAOS11, and an AOSP flavour, and they all had the navbar set up that way. All the other ROMs also crashed the Phh-Treble UI Tuner whenever I tried to change the navbar. I went back to stock, and it returned to normal. Is this an Android 11+ thing? It's awful.
    Nice to see so many people experimenting with this tablet. It would be nice if we had a dedicated subforum for this device.

I have been trying out several ROMs/GSIs with Android 11 and 12, but all of them are performing really laggy after a couple of days. Overall system perfomance and latency seems slow and choppy.

Especially YouTube is very laggy and shows heavy artifacting on almost every video making me think a lot of ROMs cant make proper use of hardware codec acceleration.

Another problem is getting Netflix to work, whereas on the stock ROM I had 1080p playback with a modded apk, on other custom ROMs I cant even launch the app, sadly no success with the Kodi Netflix add-on either.

My plan was to see if I could improve perfomance by removing Lenovo's bloat and using microg to replace gapps, but it turned out perfoming worse than before.

Maybe this device is just too weak for this kind of modding.

Thoughts on these issues? And which ROMs have you personally enjoyed? I think I might go back to stock for now, give the roms some time to develop further and try again at the end of the year.
    Added comment. I have also tried Ubuntu Touch and it works well on this tablet. Wifi, Bluetooth, audio all work, as does charging. Although the app market for Ubuntu touch is not great it seems to be getting better.