Lenovo Yoga Android Tablet 10" & 8" latest root/recovery/ROM info?

Search This thread

swooby

Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Lenovo Yoga Android Tablets 10"(b8000) and 8"(b6000) (aka Yoga Blade) seem to be the red headed step child around here.
I feel like I dropped the ball back in December when I started to try to get CyanogenMod on the b8000 and never finished.
Working with MTK processor was intimidating and demoralizing.

Things seem to have changed a tiny bit since I dropped out. There is a new Firmware update (http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/5045-rom-yoga-10-b8000-a422-000-072-140122-ww-wifi-ota/) and a TWRP recovery is available (http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/4517-...oga-tablet-b6000-wi-fi-и-3g-b8000-wi-fi-и-3g/).

There is no update to the kernel source (http://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/en-us/products/yoga_tablet_10?tabname=downloads).

Anyone gotten a custom ROM, especially CM, on the Yoga Blade?
I thought it would be easier to get CM10.1 (Android 4.2.2) up and running, since that is the official stock version.
Of course I'd be ecstatic to get CM11 running.

I'd like to make another attempt at this, but I do not think that I can do it alone.

Pv
teamyogablade@gmail.com
https://github.com/TeamYogaBlade
https://plus.google.com/u/0/100057162657556537486/posts

Last edited:
Is it worth effort?

As this is an MT8389 Soc running @1.2Ghz is it really orth theeffort to do all this CWM/TWRP recoverystuff? Since most of LENOVO phones lower mid range like my A880 is running MT6582M (quadcore), but I am a LENOVO Pc user too. It will be interesting to see development of the YOGA 10 using MT8389 maybe upgrade to CM11 but how many device sout there is currently using MT8389 anymore since MT 6589/6593 is introduced.
there is no motivataion except for die hard YOGA Pad users.

BigBoppa

Aug 1, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: bernhardiner24

[.::MDT::.]

May 20, 2012
Huawei P40
I have recently bought a lenovo yoga tablet 10 and I am really pissed off that Lenovo took out the multiuser feature from Android.

I hope a ROM or solution will be available sooner or later.

Btw do you think Lenovo will ever offer Android updates?

nakTT

Nov 21, 2011
I have recently bought a lenovo yoga tablet 10 and I am really pissed off that Lenovo took out the multiuser feature from Android.

I hope a ROM or solution will be available sooner or later.

Btw do you think Lenovo will ever offer Android updates?
I am with you on the multi-user feature.

As for ROM updates, they do provide updates every now and then. They even provide update to kitkat for some model. Even cheap A5500 tablet got updated to kitkat.

Sent from my Lenovo A850 using XDA Free mobile app

aikhung

Oct 1, 2010
Lenovo B6000 Yoga 8" Kitkat 4.4.2 update official ROM

All comments are from 1/2/2014. At this date existing no Kitkat drivers for yoga mediatek soc.
So i expect it´s a scam, too.

I am surprise to check that there is an update to Kitkat OS for my MTK CPU tablet last night, download and upgraded to 4.4.2 with half an hours.
I used CPU Z to confirm it is really Android Kitkat OS 4.4.2, sad thing is that some of my app is not working with 4.4.2 OS.
My root is gone and unable to use Framaroot to root my tablet now, still trying other tools to root.

May 20, 2012
Huawei P40
So did anybody managed to root the tablet again after upgrading to 4.4.2?

I've got the update notification but still waiting to upgrade, wanna be sure to have root permissions again first!

aikhung

Oct 1, 2010

I've got the update notification but still waiting to upgrade, wanna be sure to have root permissions again first!

Framaroot latest version 1.9.3 still fail to root for OS 4.4.2 but finally manage to did it via Chinese one click root application Vroot

http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot

This root tool is very easy to use.
It is different from all other root method which will install super user application on our android device but this root tool will install a Vroot application which include built in super user to manage root access.
You can uninstall your old super user app and it still working fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-23-11-00-04.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-23-11-00-04.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 3,006
  • Screenshot_2014-06-23-11-00-54.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-23-11-00-54.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 2,882
Last edited:
Reactions: track1

May 20, 2012
Huawei P40
Framaroot latest version 1.9.3 still fail to root for OS 4.4.2 but finally manage to did it via Chinese one click root application Vroot

http://www.mgyun.com/en/getvroot

This root tool is very easy to use.
It is different from all other root method which will install super user application on our android device but this root tool will install a Vroot application which include built in super user to manage root access.
You can uninstall your old super user app and it still working fine.

Somebody mentioned that your IMEI number is sent to Vroot when using their application, so if that's true, this wouldn't be very nice...

-beluga-

Nov 11, 2006
Somebody mentioned that your IMEI number is sent to Vroot when using their application, so if that's true, this wouldn't be very nice...

Here's more info about the vroot method incl step-by-step guide:
http://www.patchworkoftips.com/root-lenovo-yoga-8-android-kitkat/3727/

Personally I'm with the guy who wrote this (i.e. Chukwudi Emmanuel Udegbunam) and leave my fingers off Chinese software that gets (a) installed on my PC and (b) replaces the regular SU binaries with their own version (which apparently cannot be replaced)

Good thing is there DOES seem to exist a root exploit. Hopefully someone on XDA will be able to port it and enable regular SU.

May 20, 2012
Huawei P40
Here's more info about the vroot method incl step-by-step guide:
http://www.patchworkoftips.com/root-lenovo-yoga-8-android-kitkat/3727/

Personally I'm with the guy who wrote this (i.e. Chukwudi Emmanuel Udegbunam) and leave my fingers off Chinese software that gets (a) installed on my PC and (b) replaces the regular SU binaries with their own version (which apparently cannot be replaced)

Good thing is there DOES seem to exist a root exploit. Hopefully someone on XDA will be able to port it and enable regular SU.

Totally agree!

quadragin

Dec 23, 2008

I allowed the update hopeing Levono would have left in the multi user feature.. they deleted it.
I have been experiancing various bugs,, DO NOT ALLOW THE UPDATE!

I wish I could go back. no more root access so the multi user app will not work
biggest issue Pandora, Amazon Music; while streaming the feed will stop for a moment then the music speeds up then slows back down, this stopping happens constently I hate it.

NEED A CUSTOM ROM!!!

May 20, 2012
Huawei P40
I allowed the update hopeing Levono would have left in the multi user feature.. they deleted it.
I have been experiancing various bugs,, DO NOT ALLOW THE UPDATE!

I wish I could go back. no more root access so the multi user app will not work
biggest issue Pandora, Amazon Music; while streaming the feed will stop for a moment then the music speeds up then slows back down, this stopping happens constently I hate it.

NEED A CUSTOM ROM!!!

Thanks for letting us know.

I will wait to update my tablet.

Reactions: Blümchen Blau

Blümchen Blau

Dec 18, 2006
Wien
Upgraded & rooted

Hi,

upgraded my Yoga a few days ago and rooted with Vroot from a virtual machine (disconnected from the net and ready to restore a snapshot :D). After that installed SuperSU again, removed the Chinese installations from Vroot and being happy now with a rooted KK-Yoga. :victory:
MultiUser can (according to a little search) be activated after rooting.

Found no bugs in the new rom but I am not using Pandora or Amazon Music.

BB

Trekfan422991

Dec 1, 2009
wix.com
I just setup the flash tool and flashed the latest 4.4.2 rom from the russian website over my rooted 4.2.2 so far its working fine.

Had one issue where it would turn the screen off.. So it would time out and the screen would go off and the power button would wake it.. But not let it sleep. And holding it wouldn't bring up the power menu. Or even force restart.. But I used the schedule power off feature to get the tablet to shut off.. After I turned it back on it works fine.

Also one note. If you are on 4.2.2 and you rooted it and you deleted system apps. And you can't get the ota update to finish in recovery.. You don't need to flash back to stock 4.2.2 you can instead flash 4.4.2 ROM from the Russian website right over top.. Only problem is it goes to setup in Chinese if you can get through it you can change the language back to english

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

May 20, 2012
Huawei P40
I just setup the flash tool and flashed the latest 4.4.2 rom from the russian website over my rooted 4.2.2 so far its working fine.

Had one issue where it would turn the screen off.. So it would time out and the screen would go off and the power button would wake it.. But not let it sleep. And holding it wouldn't bring up the power menu. Or even force restart.. But I used the schedule power off feature to get the tablet to shut off.. After I turned it back on it works fine.

Also one note. If you are on 4.4.2 and you rooted it and you deleted system apps. And you can't get the ota update to finish in recovery.. You don't need to flash back to stock 4.4.2 you can instead flash 4.4.2 ROM from the Russian website right over top.. Only problem is it goes to setup in Chinese if you can get through it you can change the language back to english

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

How did you root your tablet after flashing latest 4.4.2 rom from the Russian website?

aikhung

Oct 1, 2010
How did you root your tablet after flashing latest 4.4.2 rom from the Russian website?

There is many Chinese root tool which is able to root our Yoga tablet with KitKat.

My advise is to unroot your tablet before apply the KitKat 4.4.2 update from Lenovo.
Two of us report same issue of unable to root with the latest update of KitKat 4.4.2 released last week by Lenovo to fixed the bug issue of the first release of KitKat.
We had to flash back the original KitKat 4.4.2 ROM to root again.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2791072&page=3

You can even try the Kinguser APK method to root your Yoga Kitkat 4.4.2

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53789809&postcount=16&nocache=1&z=7211054840590805

Enjoy your rooted Yoga tablet with KitKat 4.4.2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts