Let people ask whatever they like!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

illusion8088

Aug 1, 2007
I understand both sides, but you have to see that once you see a trillion questions asking the same thing, then you get a little frustrated.

I dont think XDA is a service. XDA is a community where people have to do their part, and if you dont do your part, then your not contributing to the community. And yes, searching is contribution. You are gorging yourself in PDA knoweldge and then could help someone else.

However, if you feel that people here at XDA are here to help you becuase this is their job, then your wrong. I'm not saying you, or anyone else does feel this way, but my point is that XDA is not a service, its a community.

I've found the dutty thread to be useless now because of so many questions asking the same thing. There is an onslaught of many questions that were already answered and its hard to find the specific problem your having. I still LOOK, and I still search...and I find the answer.

Though I do agree, being a ***** never did anything for anyone. So the best anyone can do is point them in the right direction until they get it themselves.

Agree totally.
I think bashing should be discouraged. My attitude is; if I see a question that has been asking gazillion times, I simply choose to ignore that post rather than bashing the individual. If we all adopt this attitude, the individual will be forced to search and find the solution him/herself. Well said grandpareza, xda is NOT a service, if you're asking the same questions multiple times, you're contributing to useless threads/post, and making future searches even more frustrating. For the "bashers", you're also contributing to useless posts/threads.

kjb86

Jan 7, 2008
Wiki!!!!!!!

I just say look at the damn wiki &/or Sticky's

They have them for a reason - any first time new visitor can find HUGE amounts of useful information.

It's got all the basic information in it from what the device is and what you can do to it.

Reactions: Drewking0211

Guilf

Nov 29, 2007
Tampa
simple answer to that, the mods could do their job rather than having a powertrip/flamefest.

say in a week or a fortnight you have 2 or 3 similar threads, close and prune the two newest posts or with least detail and simply put at the bottom, this has already been answered or whatever with a link to the post.

Sorry - simpler answer to that...dumdums don't post the same thing multiple times. Perhaps the mods would have time to prune the threads or combine all the duplicate threads if they didn't have to patrol for people posting the exact same crap in multiple locations within seconds. That should NEVER happen except for something (free software, major brand new release, etc.) that is of interest to everyone in the forum.

J1ngles - you don't have the time or inclination to read, but you seem to have a bunch of spare time on your hands this morning to post.

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
I think what a lot of people forget is that this is not a "make my phone neat & kewl" place.

As implied by the name this is technically a Developers forum/community.

Now what does that mean? Well first off it means that there is an expectation that if you are here then you want to customize your device but rather than just installing something that someone packaged you want to understand how it works and maybe even enhance it yourself.

When I first came here with a Blue Angel it was a different environment. PDA Phones were not embraced by the general public because of the expense and complexity (I paid over $400 for my BA). A $400 phone 4 years ago was expensive, today the Tilt is $300 after rebates but with inflation & the rise in the cost of other devices and the fact that there are other sources out there giving them away for $150 our neat bit of kit has become popular with mainstream users.

Now we have a flood of new users who are asking not "How can I do this myself" but more like "Give me the quick fix" without caring to understand the process. See if you read the threads then you get to experience the learning process, you see how the issues were investigated and confirmed. Then you get to watch the different attempts at resolution and learn why some failed while others worked. That is called Development.

The NooB backlash is coming from users who have walked in the development shoes and is directed mainly at those who don't care for the journey but just want the end result or destination.

As a Development Forum we are just as much (if not more) about the journey. I've read so many comments like "I don't have time to read all of the threads" or "I don't care how it works, just that it does". These very statements are contrary to the heart & soul of XDA-Devs and that is why the backlash is so strong.

Let me be very clear on this: IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

XDA-Devs is about developers & hackers helping each other and working together to get the most out of our devices by understanding them better than most.

XDA-Devs is not about helping everyone who wants a "Kewl bit of kit" make their phone better than the guy next to him.

Now do we go kicking users off who never contribute anything, NO. We tolerate it to an extent. Where the toleration ends is when these users start diluting the usefulness of the forum by repeating the same questions over and over again.

You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.

Last edited:

illusion8088

Aug 1, 2007
Why Start 2 similar threads? Ridiculous!!

All,

I've been a member of this forum for a few months now and am sincerely grateful for all the useful advice and help I have received. My own posting count is relatively low because I only try to help if I have something useful to say.

The one overriding post I tend to see these days is the idiot who likes bash the other users for not reading threads, doing searches etc. Now I actually have a full time job in the I.T industry, am pretty much computer savvy and enjoy tinkering with my phone when time allows. It seems to me some of the members here have far much too time on their hands and spend it endlessly trawling to give someone a mauling.

I wonder how many useful posts these people ever actually put in to the forum.

Now I agree that if you have the time to read all the relevant threads, do the searches etc you have a good chance of finding an answer. But there comes a time when some of these posts are just not feasible anymore. Dutty's rom post for 6.1 is a major epic these days and I for one don't have the time or inclination to scroll through all this especially when a whole load of it is just crap from people increasing their post count.

So my point is let people ask, especially the n00bs who probably don't realise the lambasting they're going to get. If you know the answer then reply, if you don't then shut up. That way the posts will get shorter and the idiots will get bored quicker.

This is just annoying. Why did you start 2 virtually identical threads; this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=377815
This is an abuse of the system and this type of behavior should be highly discouraged. And you wonder why people don't search? Because people like you have polluted this great forum with useless threads making it difficult to find useful information.
If you don't have time to read and search, don't expect anybody to have time to solving your problems.
I absolutely do not agree with bashing people posting questions, but to say you're too busy to read and search is just plain insulting to the people who are supposed to be providing you with answers. And starting 2 similar threads just to say the same thing is plain shameful.

Edit;
I noticed his duplicate post have been combined into 1 by the mods, thank goodness, so my link to his other post may bring you back to the same place.

Last edited:

illusion8088

Aug 1, 2007
Similar thread, same person. Ridiculous!!

All,

I've been a member of this forum for a few months now and am sincerely grateful for all the useful advice and help I have received. My own posting count is relatively low because I only try to help if I have something useful to say.

The one overriding post I tend to see these days is the idiot who likes bash the other users for not reading threads, doing searches etc. Now I actually have a full time job in the I.T industry, am pretty much computer savvy and enjoy tinkering with my phone when time allows. It seems to me some of the members here have far much too time on their hands and spend it endlessly trawling to give someone a mauling.

Now I agree that if you have the time to read all the relevant threads, do the searches etc you have a good chance of finding an answer. But there comes a time when some of these posts are just not feasible anymore. Dutty's rom post for 6.1 is a major epic these days and I for one don't have the time or inclination to scroll through all this especially when a whole load of it is just crap from people increasing their post count.

So my point is let people ask, especially the n00bs who probably don't realise the lambasting they're going to get. If you know the answer then reply, if you don't then shut up. That way the posts will get shorter and the idiots will get bored quicker.

This is just annoying. Why did you start 2 virtually identical threads; this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=377814
This is an abuse of the system and this type of behavior should be highly discouraged. And you wonder why people don't search? Because people like you have polluted this great forum with useless threads making it difficult to find useful information.
If you don't have time to read and search, don't expect anybody to have time to solving your problems.
I absolutely do not agree with bashing people posting questions, but to say you're too busy to read and search is just plain insulting to the people who are supposed to be providing you with answers. And starting 2 similar threads just to say the same thing is plain shameful.

Edit;
I noticed his duplicate post have been combined into 1 by the mods, thank goodness, so my link to his other post may bring you back to the same place.

Last edited:
Reactions: r2dwhite and elisi

netzcoyote

Nov 9, 2007
j1ngles makes a good point.
So does sebastian in post #2.

Folks, while a internet forum is anonymous, I recommend being as polite as if you were talking to a bunch of people on a face to face basis.
My guess is everyone would be a lot more patient before saying "use the ****ing search function, noob" to someones face.

On the same note, j1ngles, if you start a thread calling those folks "idiots" and questioning their ratio of useful posts, how serious do you think they will take your opinion, be it valid or not?!

Also, while j1ngles' double posting this topic (and I didn't check) is a very bad habit, it is NOT the topic of this thread, and any comments would have been better made in a PM to j1ngles.
How is a newbie supposed to find any information, never mind the search engine, if people keep changing the subject of a thread?!

Be nicer, it's fun!
Cheers,
nc

NotATreoFan

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
So Notatreofan in your world you would only ever have one mail to encompass any issue as not to pollute your search forum.

What? Please use punctuation and proper grammar.

...Said this, I still got no reply from anyone regarding my Q about the TytnII keyboard fix. I wait, and no, I will not even think of starting another thread polution .Only hoping it will be spotted giving a possible sanswer to many having the same issue. :)

I applaud your patience. Even I would have been bumping it at least every 48 hours...

I believe in the Carrot and Stick approach.
Dangle the Carrot by providing a usefull link and advice then beat the sh*t out of them with the Stick marked Search.

:D ...nuff said

Reactions: dflt

ChumleyEX

Oct 12, 2007
Temple
Straight up, you can tell if someone has spent the time to learn something on this forum. I think it's disrespectful to all of us that read the threads to learn and especially to those of you that certainly take a great deal of time creating some of the best documentation I have seen in a forum. For instance, there is a guy that has written a bible regarding Midlets, I don't know what they are but if I needed to that is the first place I would go. I doubt that after reading that, that I would have any questions afterwards.

Now I do understand that this site has SOOOOOO MUCH content. I'm sure XDA is the same size the internet was back in 1993. So when someone posts something and they break off some of the knowledge they gained by the horrible search grind, then yeah there is nothing wrong with that and they should not fear the flame. But if you create a topic and directly above it the answer to your topic has been stickied, then yeah something should be said. I don't think anyone has been treated that bad, I have been on forums that can be really rough.

For those of you that double post topics, well thats just not cool now is it. Not everyone knows the answer to your question on the time frame your hoping for. I have posted some topics and never got a reply, I didn't just post another one within 24hrs. We aren't your [email protected]#[email protected]#s that have to do things for you at the snap of your finger. Have patience.

I do agree there should be some respect givin to all and I am certainly to blame for some of the heat around here. Everyone needs to respect the content on this site and everyone needs to respect each other. I have a hard time personally, respecting those that don't respect the content. This is my flaw and I am working on it. Thank you for your patience.

Lastly, I am here to learn and amuse myself during the day. I love to help BUT I don't like baby sitting people that won't help themselves. Don't expect me to do everything for you, but you can expect me to kick down knowledge and help when I see that you are here to learn.

I hope I don't seem to harsh.

___ What I'm a senior member? Do I get the AARP Discount our something?

Last edited:

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
Direct response to OP...

J1ngles,

I find it ironic that you created this thread. You are the definition of a serial threader. When I first looked at "Threads created by j1ngles" I found 25 with only 2 (duplicate threads I combined into this one) being original or new and the rest being redundant as they asked questions asked & answered time and again in the forums.

Well I've done you a favor and cleaned-up your threads.

Notes:

"Let people ask whatever they like!" is 2 duplicate threads combined into one and moved to the appropriate section.

"Schap's 4.31" is closed because it never should have been a new thread, you should have asked in the thread about that Rom.

"The all encompassing 'Help J1ngles with his Kaiser' Thread" is infact 17 unique (and redundant) threads none of which asks a question which justifies a new thread.

"Dutty's ROM enquiry" is closed because it never should have been a new thread, you should have asked in the thread about that Rom.

"Slide 2 Unlock" is 2 duplicate threads, neither of which should have been created as there are already threads about this product.

"Hard_SPL" never should have been created as there are already threads about this product.

Please read my earlier post in this thread about what XDA-Devs is and isn't, apparently you don't understand the point of this forum.

Maybe if you showed a little more respect for the forum and the other users here you would get more out of the forum.

Last edited:

P1Tater

Retired Senior Moderator
Nov 28, 2007
In UR Head
J1ngles,

I find it ironic that you created this thread. You are the definition of a serial threader. When I first looked at "Threads created by j1ngles" I found 25 with only 2 (duplicate threads I combined into this one) being original or new and the rest being redundant as they asked questions asked & answered time and again in the forums.

Well I've done you a favor and cleaned-up your threads.

Notes:

"Let people ask whatever they like!" is 2 duplicate threads combined into one and moved to the appropriate section.

"Schap's 4.31" is closed because it never should have been a new thread, you should have asked in the thread about that Rom.

"The all encompassing 'Help J1ngles with his Kaiser' Thread" is infact 17 unique (and redundant) threads none of which asks a question which justifies a new thread.

"Dutty's ROM enquiry" is closed because it never should have been a new thread, you should have asked in the thread about that Rom.

"Slide 2 Unlock" is 2 duplicate threads, neither of which should have been created as there are already threads about this product.

"Hard_SPL" never should have been created as there are already threads about this product.

Please read my earlier post in this thread about what XDA-Devs is and isn't, apparently you don't understand the point of this forum.

Maybe if you showed a little more respect for the forum and the other users here you would get more out of the forum.

Now that is hilarious. Someone, I ain't saying who, but his name starts with j1ngles, has just been exposed. The reason this thread and its identical twin were created was that you got bashed more than once for not learning how to search and then posting redundant threads. Well, my initial dignosis was right I believe.

YOU ARE A MORON.

Reactions: Jezebelisgone

ChumleyEX

Oct 12, 2007
Temple
Damn it P1Tater, I'm not sure if it's your avatar or your posts, but everytime I see both I just get a good chuckle.

Oh and props to kypher.

XtreMe_G

Jan 11, 2007
ok, i take back what i said earlier, this thread is getting more interesting.

lets see.......78 posts and 25 are new threads. i dont even have that much!! i havent checked but i bet P1Tater doesnt have that much himself too

Reactions: Jezebelisgone

suk72

Dec 8, 2007
TBH I havent seen too much bashing here.
This is probably the most civil board i have registered on in a long time.
But i dont post too often so i dont know if im qualified to say that. :p

kyphur

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 3, 2005
Chicagoland
I think I have started 3 maybe 4 threads at the most.

Gotcha, you've started 6 threads! Guess I'll have to keep my eye on you!

And for the record, as a member since December of 2005 & a moderator for over a year now I have a grand total of 29 Threads created. This is with what am i pushing almost 1,700 posts!

So you see a Noob with 25 threads and 78 posts doesn't look like someone who is properly utilizing the forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azazello

j1ngles

Sep 23, 2007
Well looks like I've took some stick here, so rather than f and blind like some people I will say this.

It was a valid mistake the double post. It wasn't my intention and for that I apologize.

As for the fact that it has appeared in a couple of forums, I personally believe that this occurs in all forums and not everybody will use those forums, but if the end result is people treat others a little better then to me that is a result.

I did not say that I had exhaustively searched every post myself before asking a question but some of these replies are from guys just blowing each other.

I'm not going to lower myself by naming and shaming some of these posters but they know who they are. I don't give a toss about you trying to flame me because there are enough people who have replied positively to vindicate this post so if something productive can be done either by education or more positive comments then it won't have gone to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think what a lot of people forget is that this is not a "make my phone neat & kewl" place.

As implied by the name this is technically a Developers forum/community.

Now what does that mean? Well first off it means that there is an expectation that if you are here then you want to customize your device but rather than just installing something that someone packaged you want to understand how it works and maybe even enhance it yourself.

When I first came here with a Blue Angel it was a different environment. PDA Phones were not embraced by the general public because of the expense and complexity (I paid over $400 for my BA). A $400 phone 4 years ago was expensive, today the Tilt is $300 after rebates but with inflation & the rise in the cost of other devices and the fact that there are other sources out there giving them away for $150 our neat bit of kit has become popular with mainstream users.

Now we have a flood of new users who are asking not "How can I do this myself" but more like "Give me the quick fix" without caring to understand the process. See if you read the threads then you get to experience the learning process, you see how the issues were investigated and confirmed. Then you get to watch the different attempts at resolution and learn why some failed while others worked. That is called Development.

The NooB backlash is coming from users who have walked in the development shoes and is directed mainly at those who don't care for the journey but just want the end result or destination.

As a Development Forum we are just as much (if not more) about the journey. I've read so many comments like "I don't have time to read all of the threads" or "I don't care how it works, just that it does". These very statements are contrary to the heart & soul of XDA-Devs and that is why the backlash is so strong.

Let me be very clear on this: IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY THEN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

XDA-Devs is about developers & hackers helping each other and working together to get the most out of our devices by understanding them better than most.

XDA-Devs is not about helping everyone who wants a "Kewl bit of kit" make their phone better than the guy next to him.

Now do we go kicking users off who never contribute anything, NO. We tolerate it to an extent. Where the toleration ends is when these users start diluting the usefulness of the forum by repeating the same questions over and over again.

You ask us to understand your position. Well if you want to benefit from our experience and time then I think it is only fair that you understand our position.
    All,

Forum members, report redundent & unnecessary threads.

Don't go on a spree bashing the OP.

The thread will automagically be closed and then disappear was it rapidly stales with no new replies.

NooBs, you are welcome here but understand that this is a "DEVELOPMENT FORUM" and as such you are expected to do a little work for your "Kewl bit of Kit". If you post a new thread 5 seconds after signing-up and it is closed within minutes don't post 10 more threads asking the same question or you will be labeled as a Serial Threader (which is a bannable offense).

All of the experienced members here will give you a "Hand Up" but rarely will you get a "Hand-Out" without gettting a good lashing from that same hand.

I think all that can be said here has been said so this thread will be closed.
    Very well put Kyphur. It gets very aggravating.
    You're just dead wrong. This isn't a tech support site. This isn't AT&T's support site. This isn't a PPC beginner's site. This is a developer's site.

My Tilt is my first PPC. I came on here with an attitude of respect because so many were providing so many resources and asking for so little in return. I started out with an attitude similar to yours....help whenever possible. As such, I freaking read. I didn't HardSPL or flash a new ROM until I'd had my Tilt for over a month - because I wasn't ready and I didn't expect anyone to spoon feed me. Some of the noobs on here have run into trouble because they want to flash a ROM the second their new unit is charged for the first time. No delayed gratification - feel bad for their significant others...bet they're all premature ejaculators.

I've gone from knowing literally nothing to cooking my own personal ROMs just by searching and reading on this site. I've answered 20 times more questions than I've asked and I've never bashed a noob because I am one. However, even I am sick of seeing that same freaking questions asked constantly. I get that the Tilt has proliferated and people don't know a lot, but show some respect for people that have been here forever - follow the rules, learn the customs. I'm an American, but it's just like an American to expect the locals to fit your customs rather than the other way around. Perhaps we'd have a video driver if all the experts didn't have to spend their days answering the dumbest freaking questions on the face of the earth...What's the difference between the "E" and the "H" in my top bar? What's the best ROM out there? I lost my sound when I flashed the first hour after I got the thing and haven't read a single thread (PLEASE HELP!!). How about reading the manual? How about reading through the titles of one page of threads? Do you think there would be so many ROMs if there was one that was everything to everybody? I get that some of the threads have become unwieldly - but why do you think that is?

I'm a believer that this place should get far more restrictive about who should be able to post. Give every new member a quiz asking the most basic questions that can be found in 5 seconds. If you don't pass, you can't post. Start a newbie area where people like yourself (and me when I feel like it) can spend their time answering questions so the real developers can do work that benefits us all. That won't happen because the long-standing members are too patient and generous for their own goods. We should all be grateful. Part of that gratefulness is showing some respect and being an adult and finding your own answers to your own stupid questions whenever possible.

BTW - As for time. I own and run my own company. I have a live in girlfriend and a very active life. I have made time to figure these things out without losing anything else in my life. If you don't have time to read and learn, you shouldn't be messing with flashing and such. Get an iPhone. Your time is no more important than anyone else's here.