Let's Finally Solve This Call Quality Issue

Search This thread

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Many of you have seen the multiple threads on multiple forums about the call quality issues with the Pixel 3 and 3XL, so I won't dig into that any further. Instead, I am asking if those who have issues can list the signal strength as reported by your device in the area where the call issues occur?

For example, my wife and I only had call issues at our house, where both of our devices registered -115 dBm of signal strength. This was not a problem for our Pixel 2's. When calling from my job, the issue was far less frequent and the signal strength is approximately -100 dBm. Finally, we received a signal booster from our carrier for the house and the call issues went away completely, measuring -80 dBm.

Based on this, I can only assume the Pixel 3's hardware is not holding on to signals as well as other phones and I need your help determining if the problems go away above a certain signal strength threshold.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open the stock phone dialer app
2. Enter the test menu by dialing *#*#4636#*#*
3. Select "Phone Information"
4. Find the "Signal Strength" line and report the value you see.

Once again, please only list yours from an area where you experience consistent call quality issues.

OkayGK

Jun 8, 2013
TORONTO
My third pixel xl. All 3 of them never had call issues. Other issues yes. Thankfully calling is good

samnada

Aug 17, 2010
Semi-related question. I'm on Project Fi. When I check the Phone Info "wifi calling provisioned" appears to be off and greyed out. When I check Settings it's enabled. My wifi signal is very strong, I'm sitting about 10 ft from the router. Not sure how to interpret that "provisioned" status. Also, wifi calling could theoretically mess up the stats from your cell signal strength data.

zetsumeikuro

Jul 13, 2010
If you're in an area with poor signal and you're using VoLTE the static noise/buzzing will occur . It's been pinpointed as a baseband/kernel issue the version on the 3/3XL's are incompatible with certain towers. In areas with good signal the buzzing/static won't be there over cell. If you're in an area with poor/mediocre service turn off VoLTE and to make calls on 3G and there will be no buzzing. Sadly the issue still persists with WiFi calling though.

Reactions: 13druber

13druber

Dec 7, 2013
Louisville
I have more drop calls on this device then any other. Mostly driving, gotta be tower issues. My other phone didn't have this issue, but I'm with Verizon now I was with Sprint.

mrbobo999

Jan 17, 2019
happening on BOTH pixel 3's on verizon. had pixel 1's before and NO issue. other users, including samsung and iphone on same plan, no probs. signal at -95 and -93 in 2 locations that I have had problems. I don't believe just signal strength, as both have good strength (tried both cdma and lte) and still issues. not all the time. funny thing, I was on conference call with both verizon and google when audio on my end just dropped, I could not hear anything and they could not hear anything but calls still connected. another time was on phone with verizon and she said (yes..she said) was very choppy. that was 1/9/19. called back 1/15, "John" then scheduled him self to call me back 11am yesterday (never called), now back on phone with verizon and she just had me fact reset phone. she said next step, new sim cards (I had not thought of that) and then replacement. Hate to say it, almost ready to go iphone.

Reactions: PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
happening on BOTH pixel 3's on verizon. had pixel 1's before and NO issue. other users, including samsung and iphone on same plan, no probs. signal at -95 and -93 in 2 locations that I have had problems. I don't believe just signal strength, as both have good strength (tried both cdma and lte) and still issues. not all the time. funny thing, I was on conference call with both verizon and google when audio on my end just dropped, I could not hear anything and they could not hear anything but calls still connected. another time was on phone with verizon and she said (yes..she said) was very choppy. that was 1/9/19. called back 1/15, "John" then scheduled him self to call me back 11am yesterday (never called), now back on phone with verizon and she just had me fact reset phone. she said next step, new sim cards (I had not thought of that) and then replacement. Hate to say it, almost ready to go iphone.
This is a very similar experience my wife had with T-Mobile. I have the same phone but don't have the problems, so it isn't a network issue, but the problem did go away once we started receiving a stronger signal with the booster.

Keep working with Google and they'll send you a new device, unless you purchased from Verizon and they'll make you jump through hoops.

Hi,I'm having call quality issues on my Pixel 3 with -108 dBm of signal strength
I have it on my Pixel 3 expecially in my office where the signal is not good. I did some test and I've noticed that the problem goes away if I switch to 2g (maybe for the better signal quality) but after 5/8 minutes the audio goes away, the other person doesn't hear me while the call stays open.

While testing I've also noticed that leving the phone in LTE with low signal in 4 hours (with podcast listenig and varius phone calls) I lost 40% of battery, in 2g I lost 20%.

My thought are that the device has a radio problem, high battery drain and call noise with low signals

mrbobo999

Jan 17, 2019
This is a very similar experience my wife had with T-Mobile. I have the same phone but don't have the problems, so it isn't a network issue, but the problem did go away once we started receiving a stronger signal with the booster.

Keep working with Google and they'll send you a new device, unless you purchased from Verizon and they'll make you jump through hoops.

Update: 1/24/19. After fact reset and new sim card still same issues. Verizon sending out 2 "like new" pixel 3's. I read one post where user and wife both on 5th! RMA pixel 3 and same issue! I mentioned to Verizon rep and questioned option to switch to iphone if happens with "new" phones, she said not normal but there can be exceptions. Hope I don't end up blue in the face.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Update: 1/24/19. After fact reset and new sim card still same issues. Verizon sending out 2 "like new" pixel 3's. I read one post where user and wife both on 5th! RMA pixel 3 and same issue! I mentioned to Verizon rep and questioned option to switch to iphone if happens with "new" phones, she said not normal but there can be exceptions. Hope I don't end up blue in the face.
Good luck to you!

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Guys can you boot into safe mode and see if the callaudio problem goes away?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,I'm having call quality issues on my Pixel 3 with -108 dBm of signal strength
    I have it on my Pixel 3 expecially in my office where the signal is not good. I did some test and I've noticed that the problem goes away if I switch to 2g (maybe for the better signal quality) but after 5/8 minutes the audio goes away, the other person doesn't hear me while the call stays open.

While testing I've also noticed that leving the phone in LTE with low signal in 4 hours (with podcast listenig and varius phone calls) I lost 40% of battery, in 2g I lost 20%.

My thought are that the device has a radio problem, high battery drain and call noise with low signals
    If you're in an area with poor signal and you're using VoLTE the static noise/buzzing will occur . It's been pinpointed as a baseband/kernel issue the version on the 3/3XL's are incompatible with certain towers. In areas with good signal the buzzing/static won't be there over cell. If you're in an area with poor/mediocre service turn off VoLTE and to make calls on 3G and there will be no buzzing. Sadly the issue still persists with WiFi calling though.
    I dont get how some face this issue and others dont, im on my first 3xl and have had not a single issue. Unless the fact that im rooted with custom kernel i have no issues? Is the stock kernel to blame?
    I used to have static noise when calling from time to time. There was no obvious pattern linked to it.
    I faced it sometimes when calling mobile number, I faced it with perfect reception, sometimes with bad reception.

I disabled volte and wifi calling and have had no issues since then.

Obviously this might no be the desired solution for some as they depend on these two features. But on my unit this got rid of the noise.