• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Let's hope for an 'L' custom rom this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Hope some developer makes an 'L' custom rom this weekend for our S3.

I'm sure it will happen eventually but I'm really excited to have that amazing stock Android look on my S3 instead of touchwiz :D

Hydrony

Apr 20, 2012
I really like having the latest Android Version on my s3. Just wondering, if the s3's Hardware is enough to support Android L. Can we expect to See Android L custom Roms for s3? I dont really want to buy a New phone, to stay up to date with Android :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

LegendM

Jun 18, 2012
Ankara
I really like having the latest Android Version on my s3. Just wondering, if the s3's Hardware is enough to support Android L. Can we expect to See Android L custom Roms for s3? I dont really want to buy a New phone, to stay up to date with Android :D

Stop talking like samsung,there's no such a thing like "hardware not enough for newer android" Google reduced hardware usage every newer android version,ofcourse there'll be custom roms and I believe it will be faster and smother because of the new ART

Reactions: almousawi

Hydrony

Apr 20, 2012
Stop talking like samsung,there's no such a thing like "hardware not enough for newer android" Google reduced hardware usage every newer android version,ofcourse there'll be custom roms and I believe it will be faster and smother because of the new ART

Im not really that deep Into Android development. So i really cant say if the change from dalvik to ART is something that requires newer Hardware or just some piece of code, that can be used on any device. Thats why i asked if there are going to be custom Roms for s3.

bornlivedie

Aug 29, 2012
Buenos Aires
Porting from a dev. image is not easy, and besides, Samsung hasn't released the sources for the S3 so... near impossible. Don't expect one, not now, not tomorrow, not in the coming months.

Just wait for the real deal and then let's hope Omni and CM teams will iron out the bugs.

opssemnik

Jun 10, 2013
Porto Alegre,Rio Grande Do Sul,Brasil
WTF people you can choose between ART and Dalvik since 4.4 now Dalvik had been removed so ART is default instead of Dalvik...
wrong.
there is no dalvik in L(as you said), but there is no default either, its just ART
L contains a new ART, with a working reflection and jit(those were the most broken parts in the art of 4.4)
its now also more faster, with more optimized code and way better GC.
some parts of the code have all been fully changed(compare the sources)

AndroidDeveloperLB

Mar 30, 2014
Maybe because TouchWiz is not Android "L"? Just a thought.

he wrote "non touchWiz" .

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

wrong.
there is no dalvik in L(as you said), but there is no default either, its just ART
L contains a new ART, with a working reflection and jit(those were the most broken parts in the art of 4.4)
its now also more faster, with more optimized code and way better GC.
some parts of the code have all been fully changed(compare the sources)

When ART started showing on Kitkat, it was said that apps might take more space and time when being installed, compared to Dalvik.
Is it still true?
How much do apps take now compared to on Dalvik?
How much slower does it take to install apps?

Also, I've tried the new version on the emulator (and the emulator is still slow, BTW). I've tried showing the easter egg of clicking on the OS version , and I saw weird blue and red rectangles.
Does it occur for the preview version on Nexus devices too?

MattBooth

Jan 4, 2011
Bradford
mattbooth.dev
Just putting this here:

"Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha".

^ There is no way there will be an L ROM on the S3 until AOSP gets L.

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

There's already a 4.4 based ROM with some Material Design and new stuff in it...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3/development/android-l-developer-preview-t2796593
That just emulates it. Apart form the keyboard, sound (which are 99% the same) and boot animation, it's the just 4.4.4.

Reactions: datagutt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We will never get Android Learn on our S3.

Somebody said the same about KK, and I proved him wrong.

Don't make me do it again.
    AOSP/CM won't abandon us, but Samsung have already done so. The devices that DID get Kikat most likely won't get Lollipop

AOSP/CM abandoned us by the time Xplodwild stopped using his S3 as primary device :p. We may get lucky if only bluetooth will be broken in Lollipop, because this is primary issue when using gcc 4.9 on KK.

I'll try to contribute in this case.
    [Requested thread to be moved since it's not related to Help/Troubleshooting]

Mod Edit

These threads already exist

Thread closed

malybru
    Forum Moderator