• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Let's See Your Case! - Xperia 5 ii 'Showcase'

Search This thread

gerhardo

Aug 23, 2013
Moto X4
Sony Xperia 5 II
KSQ Cloth PU Leather Case
  • The contrasting fabric/cloth feels really good in hand. Not necessarily grippy, but the leather/fabric/metal combo gives good confidence/feedback
  • Doesn't offer much drop protection due to the 'open' design of the case
  • Back pocket for card/cash. I keep a metal plate there so it works with all my magnetic mounts
  • Love the look of the case. Very 'professional' looking (whatever that means lol)
  • Doubt the quality of the materials used. We'll see how it holds up over time

How did this case hold up?
What is the weight?

In my old phone (Moto X4), I had my creditcard in the case (IMAKCASE). Not perfect but I can live with it.
The KSQ is one of the few I have seen with a dedicated pocket.

The Imak Airbag http://www.imakcase.com/imak-shock-...ersion-for-sony-xperia-5-ii20-2009_p2959.html (also seem to be known as Crystal Pro https://teknikhallen.se/sony-xperia-5-ii-imak-crystal-pro-skal-skarmskydd), seem flexible but a clear case will go yellow over time. (The dark variant is harder to find.)

The Caseology seem a little stiffer and may not fit (as well as being too close to a screen protector?).
Spigen Rugged Armour https://www.spigen.com/collections/...5-ii-case-rugged-armor?variant=32671672401967 seem similar to the Caseology, except bulkier.

All these seem to be around 30 g. A little too much to my liking, but that is a cost of protection.

The Caseology seem a little stiffer and may not fit (as well as being too close to a screen protector?).
Spigen Rugged Armour https://www.spigen.com/collections/...5-ii-case-rugged-armor?variant=32671672401967 seem similar to the Caseology, except bulkier.
The Caseology case has a very good fit and is just flexible enough to not make it too difficult to put it on the phone. It didn't interfere with my screen protector, but it did add more bulk than I liked to the phone. It definitely protects the phone though, so it's a matter of preference/priorities

Reactions: gerhardo
Just got the 5 ii and am now searching the world of cases. Are you still happy with the Devilcase three months in? Just curious how its fared when/if you've dropped the phone at all and how bad the dust in the back has been.
I've only dropped it from my bedside night table down to a hardwood floor. Perhaps a little over a metre in distance. That's not a good indication but that's not really an issue for this type of case.

Dust/lint is an issue for most clear backed cases. Static electricity draws particles. I don't have another clear case on the XP5ii to compare it to, but it's just something people should be aware of.

jdilla1987

Aug 6, 2014
Sacramento, CA
How did this case hold up?
What is the weight?

I only used it for a few days so I can't really talk on durability of the case. I swap between cases probably more than the average person. I can say that the materials are probably not the best of quality so if you're rough on your phone, I wouldn't recommend it. As for the weight, I don't have a small enough scale to get a precise measurement, but it doesn't add much weight at all. Lighter than it looks for sure.

Reactions: gerhardo

gerhardo

Aug 23, 2013
Moto X4
Sony Xperia 5 II

+ Slim case, only adds 25 g. 198g on the scales with 10g screen protector.
+1,3 mm slimmer than Caseology Vault - you can feel this
+ Protected in the corners and a good lip at the camera, where it matters.
+ Easy to put on/take off. I keep my debit card in the case, works fine.
+ Buttons work fine.

- Clear case will go yellow (regardless if it is UV protected).
- Fingerprint magnet, dust on the inside will be seen.
- Debit card is visible.
- Lips on the front are not much higher than the screen protector.

It feels a little like handling the phone without a case, except that I do not expect to drop it constantly.
The Imak Airbag case is quite similar but 5-10g heavier.

I also got a Caseology, already reviewed here.
+ Much nicer texture holding. Can handle the debit card.
- Feel bulkier though (both width and depth adds over a mm).
- 8 g heavier than Peakally, 205g with screen protector.
- Less protection in corners, more protection where it matters less on the sides and the back. Also not much protection around the camera lens.
- Front lip is quite high. It is hard to do a side sweep (back) with the case and a screen protector.

For my old Moto X4 I had a similar Imak case, except that it was less bulky, a lip on the back and much thinner.

Also see the unique Galaxy A3-2016 case. Light and protecting well, most ports are accessible. The design is not great though, it seem like a quick and dirty hack. Extremely good value.

Attachments

• DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_20210407_135419.jpg
    IMG_20210407_135419.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0062.JPG
    DSC_0062.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    513.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20210407_135509.jpg
    IMG_20210407_135509.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20210407_135314.jpg
    IMG_20210407_135314.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20210404_200933.jpg
    IMG_20210404_200933.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Reactions: jdilla1987

Cptnfruitloops

Mar 4, 2020
Caseology vault or spigen rugged armor?
I got the spigen and its quite good. Already dropped from pocket height onto the road and it bounced across the road couple times but no damage to phone or case. It would have been smashed if it wasnt for the case. Speakers sound good and are not covered. Cutouts are good. Lip around screen and camera for protection. Slimmer and lighter than caseology (i dont have one). Side sense works fine. Cant comment on screen protector because I refuse to use one. Only problem is camera button and while not unuseable, it is not a pleasure to use like without the case. Also made in Korea.

My two favourite case:

TPU-PU leather cover*

*I used a more generic name because i found the same cover with different names both on other amazon and aliexpress.
  • soft and slim
  • very light (about 24 grams)
  • back camera module is protected
  • cutouts areperfect, the power button in particular feel very comforable
  • All other buttons are covered, pheraps the camera ones is a little bit too spongy
  • NOT so much grippy as I like, but it has the holes for a lanyard so it can compensate a little.
  • I feel the protective glass a little bit exposed with this cover.
Overall I like the color and the texture feeling, I would prefer a little more grip on the sides. It's my first case for this phone because I wasn't be able to find nothing more rugged/tough.

Attachments

• P5031392.JPG
    P5031392.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • P5031394.JPG
    P5031394.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • P5031398.JPG
    P5031398.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
second:

Armor shield (from aliexpress)

• A little bit tough than the precedent, still slim
  • light (43 grams)
  • camera module is very well protected and I like the flare shape
  • cutouts are perfect, aroun the power button I feel just a little sharp edges, but when in use this defenitvely don't bother me.
  • All other buttons are coverd with a striped texture, they are light to press and comfortable, I like this feeling for the camera shutter.
  • grippy on all surface and the protrudign bands offer more grips too. but no holes for lanyard
  • the protective glass is protected a little bit more compared to the previous model.
I had to admit that i was searching for old style -bulkier case (as dual layer) but I think those two can be my compromised for everyday use and outdoor at the moment.
At the first I wasn't to convinced for this one, but despite being so cheap i'm very satisfied.

(Sorry for hairs I took close up pictures, I've a cat and can't find a decent cloth 😅 )

ps if you need more photo or if I forgot something tell me!

Attachments

• P5031384.JPG
    P5031384.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • P5031382.JPG
    P5031382.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • P5031386.JPG
    P5031386.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • P5031388.JPG
    P5031388.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 52

gerhardo

Aug 23, 2013
Moto X4
Sony Xperia 5 II
Spigen Rough 72.4 x 161.5 x 11.2 mm, 50 g (official)
Caseology 72.40 x 161,65 x 11.35 mm (Officially measured 72.5 x 161.6 x 11.1 mm) 33 g

Peakally (no corners) 71,3 x 160.4 x 10.7 mm, 25 g
Peakally (corners) 73.8 x 162.9 x 11.4 mm

Spigen Rough and Caseology looks very much the same, size is within measurement errors. I doubt that Spigen is 50g (bigger measurement error). Spigen may be grippier though. Backgesture and sidesense probably depends more on the screen protector than the case. I set the sensitivity to high and it works OK but the sweep area occasionally conflict and sidesnse is a hit and miss, especially sweeps. (Why is not the fingerprint sensor handling the sidesense gestures?)

Peakally is my favorite though, only 1,3mm difference in width but it feels as much more and sides are square.
The "airbag" should give good protection in most drop scenarios.
IMAK Airbag Case is quite similar, 30 g, so a little bulkier.

--
The feeling in the camera button is lost with the case buttons. Especially with Pro without a screen shutter key in cold weather with stiffer case and less sensibility in the fingers, shots get lost.

To improve this, I modded my cases. A sharp craft knife and an iron file will do the job. It is quite simple to just remove the button nicely, especially for the Caseology. You do get better feeling only by doing that, but the finger have to be squeezed into the hole and it will not work well with gloves. So the cutout should be slightly bigger and graded.

Also leveled the assistant button with the case. You can still use it (I dont) but the risk of accidental use is lower.

The result can be better, I need a finer file...

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_170716.jpg
    IMG_20210508_170716.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20210508_170813.jpg
    IMG_20210508_170813.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0236.JPG
    DSC_0236.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Reactions: asvaberg

TheDVIMaster

Jan 25, 2017
Banzn Leather Case

• Well made and stylish
  • Appears to be genuine leather layer bonded to the TPU frame structure. The leather is textured with a fine pattern. The leather does not have any blemishes and is a singular piece
  • Weight including phone and tempered glass screen protector is less than 199g
  • No instructions and minimal packaging
  • Leather has a natural warmth to the touch even in colder weather and feels good in the hand
  • Leather hide is not fully water proof so some maintenance is required. I have owned leather phone cases in the past and some oil and conditioning is required
  • The charm of leather is the patina that forms over time with use. The more it wears, the more individualistic and customized it becomes
  • Cutouts are precise and aligned well
  • Lanyard mount is present on bottom left side of case
  • The front edge on screen side is raised even with tempered glass screen protector applied. This will allow you to lay the phone down on a surface without the screen making contact
  • Rear camera cutout is also raised and protected. The cutout also encloses the flash and adjacent sensor. Placing the phone down on this side will not cause any wobble
  • Some shock resistance is anticipated due to its design, but no official shock rating
  • Comes in several colours. I purchased both the brown and black leather versions
  • Does not appear to block or dimish Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC, or cellular reception
  • No outgassing smells or chemical odors
  • Excellent value for the money if you are searching for a leather case. I purchased this case from AliExpress and shipping from China to Canada was relatively quick, less than one month to arrive. Price per case including shipping was under $10.50 CDN
  • Grip appears to be good as the leather provides a non slippery feel. The sides are smooth and rounded which contrasts with the textured leather
  • No wording or lettering on the leather, which is a feature I appreciate
  • Buttons for volume have good feedback. Not too light and not too stiff
  • Button for Google Assistant is not easily hit or pressed
  • Button for the shutter release is smooth with a short throw and feedback is quite good, better than on the Rugged Armor by Spigen but below that of the Devil Light case
  • The case is recommended

View attachment 5187405View attachment 5187391View attachment 5187393View attachment 5187395View attachment 5187397View attachment 5187399View attachment 5187401View attachment 5187403View attachment 5187389

Just ordered this case since your review of it makes it sound promising. The link works no longer sadly. They seem to may have rebranded to Kqimi, linked is the German amazon. 12 Euro when I got it.
Ty for your review!

jerrydrake

Aug 26, 2016
YTF Carbon Fiber Case

• Incredibly light and very rigid. Feels like no case is on the device. Weight with tempered glass screen protector, phone, and case is less than 183g!
  • Carbon pattern is uniform and consistent through the case. The pattern is diagnonal and it appears as though a single piece was used to make the case
  • Soft touch and warm to the touch even when cold
  • Very low glare and very fingerprint resistant
  • Friction fit. Easy to attach but a bit more difficult to remove
  • There are 4 vertical slits, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom of the case to allow some "give" when inserting the phone into the case. Dust or sand could enter through these cutouts but appears to be a neccessity as to this particular design
  • Very little lip on topmost (screen) portion. With a tempered glass screen protector, the screen protector protrudes above the case. This may prevent one from resting the phone on the screen side
  • No lanyard holes are included
  • Lip around camera lens cutout protrudes above the lense and therefore adds in protecting the lens
  • All buttons feel like OEM as none are replaced by case buttons
  • Cutout for flash about 1 mm off in alignment. It's still acceptable
  • Some edges were sharp and were rounded down with 2000 grit wetsandpaper. This was very minor but should be mentioned
  • No problems noted with WiFi, Bluetooth, or cellular transmission
  • Generally with open style cases, some dust or sand may intrude via the sides or openings. However, this case fits very tightly so this may prevent debris from entering. Caution must be taken if removing the case after a trip to the beach or dusty environment
  • Unique and high quality design. The carbon fiber pattern is attractive and very high tech looking
  • All cutouts besides the aforementioned flash area are perfectly aligned
  • Since no reviews were found on this case, some risk to first adopters. I personally think this case has gone through a few iterations to perfect the cutout alignment
  • Unknown shock resistance or long term durability
  • Purchased from AliExpress. Surprisingly quick shipment from China to Canada (around 2 weeks), especially during the Christmas season
  • Reasonably priced for what the case is, ~ $32 CAD including shipping.
  • If you a fan of sleek minimalism, this is definitely recommended
View attachment 5173817View attachment 5173833View attachment 5173835View attachment 5173823View attachment 5173825View attachment 5173827View attachment 5173829View attachment 5173831View attachment 5173819View attachment 5173821
Hi! Can u please tell if those carbon and aramid cases are scratching phone on the inside?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey All,

Initially this post was to show off one of my cases, but since I'm a bit of a case fiend, I'll be posting all of 'em here.
    Feel free to post yours and share any thoughts.

Several of mine are coming from overseas so I'll be posting them as they arrive.

X-Level Guardian case
    • Was my favorite case for the Pixel 2XL.
    • Feels a bit smoother and not as grippy but it may just need to be broken in a bit.
    • Cutouts are precise and buttons are okay. Not as tactile as I'd like but satisfactory.
    • I don’t like bulky cases and this keeps the phone slim.
    50676283753_27237d5013_b.jpg

50677030016_7801f4a2ba_b.jpg

50677029746_d442010d98_b.jpg

50676282883_9d44edd87d_b.jpg

50677028996_2e8f959986_b.jpg

50677110307_e70e32f208_b.jpg
    Spigen Rugged Armor
    • High quality case, slim case
    • Rounded edges with diagonal channels for added grip
    • Constructed from TPU. Rear has finely textured surface with immunity to fingerprints
    • All cutouts are perfect
    • Shutter button is a touch stiff and may add vibration when using it to take photos
    • Lightweight
    • Only comes in black
    • Lanyard holes are included
    • Case fits very snuggly will dislodge case friendly screen protectors unless applied precisely
    • Excellent case for the money

• PXL_20201222_204220298.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201222_203627418.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201222_204153605.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201222_204058561.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201222_204031651.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201222_204042120.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201222_203639732.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201222_204112992.PORTRAIT.jpg
    Caseology Vault Case Xperia 5 II

• TPU constructed 1-piece protective case
    • Excellent feel in the hand. Three different textures to provide grip even in wet conditions but will not prevent rapid and easy access from any pocket. The sides have a very fine sandpaper-like texture while the back has a coarser texture. The top quardrant around the rear camera has a diagonal fine lined texture.
    • Weighs around 207g including phone and tempered glass screen protector. This case appears lighter than it actually weighs
    • Appears to provide good shock resistance with corners well protected
    • Design of the front has a protective lip around the screen and allows you to place the phone display side down without damage. The design of the rear protects the camera module and allows it to rest on a surface without any wobble
    • Excellent resistance to smudges and fingerprints. Easy to clean
    • All cutouts are perfect. Large USB-C opening and large headphone jack cutout are noted
    • Shutter release button is smooth but actuation point is slightly vague. Volume rocker has good feedback and short throw
    • Discrete Caseology logo present on rear bottom of case
    • Lanyard outlets present on the bottom left side of case
    • WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and cellular signals are not affected by using this case
    • Purchased from Amazon Canada for $15.99 CDN including shipping
    • Fairly priced from a prominant case manufacturer
    • I would recommend this case
    IMG_0907.jpgIMG_0909.jpgIMG_0910.jpgIMG_0911.jpgIMG_0912.jpgIMG_0913.jpgIMG_0915.jpgIMG_0904.jpgIMG_0906.jpgIMG_0914.jpgIMG_0917.jpgIMG_0902.jpg
    YTF Carbon Fiber Case

• Incredibly light and very rigid. Feels like no case is on the device. Weight with tempered glass screen protector, phone, and case is less than 183g!
    • Carbon pattern is uniform and consistent through the case. The pattern is diagnonal and it appears as though a single piece was used to make the case
    • Soft touch and warm to the touch even when cold
    • Very low glare and very fingerprint resistant
    • Friction fit. Easy to attach but a bit more difficult to remove
    • There are 4 vertical slits, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom of the case to allow some "give" when inserting the phone into the case. Dust or sand could enter through these cutouts but appears to be a neccessity as to this particular design
    • Very little lip on topmost (screen) portion. With a tempered glass screen protector, the screen protector protrudes above the case. This may prevent one from resting the phone on the screen side
    • No lanyard holes are included
    • Lip around camera lens cutout protrudes above the lense and therefore adds in protecting the lens
    • All buttons feel like OEM as none are replaced by case buttons
    • Cutout for flash about 1 mm off in alignment. It's still acceptable
    • Some edges were sharp and were rounded down with 2000 grit wetsandpaper. This was very minor but should be mentioned
    • No problems noted with WiFi, Bluetooth, or cellular transmission
    • Generally with open style cases, some dust or sand may intrude via the sides or openings. However, this case fits very tightly so this may prevent debris from entering. Caution must be taken if removing the case after a trip to the beach or dusty environment
    • Unique and high quality design. The carbon fiber pattern is attractive and very high tech looking
    • All cutouts besides the aforementioned flash area are perfectly aligned
    • Since no reviews were found on this case, some risk to first adopters. I personally think this case has gone through a few iterations to perfect the cutout alignment
    • Unknown shock resistance or long term durability
    • Purchased from AliExpress. Surprisingly quick shipment from China to Canada (around 2 weeks), especially during the Christmas season
    • Reasonably priced for what the case is, ~ $32 CAD including shipping.
    • If you a fan of sleek minimalism, this is definitely recommended
    PXL_20201231_200814029.PORTRAIT~2.jpgPXL_20201231_201143920.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201231_201734381~2.jpgPXL_20201231_200949452.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201231_201004508.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201231_201022967.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201231_201030355.PORTRAIT~2.jpgPXL_20201231_201105748.PORTRAIT~2.jpgPXL_20201231_200911477.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20201231_200938244.PORTRAIT.jpg