Let's try an optimized Mms.apk.

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
Based on the "better" Mms.apk that xREVOx posted earlier, this one's been slightly optimized in size/memory footprint (over 30%) to try to cut down on the Dalvik VM clearing MMS from the memory completely. I've optimized the PNGs and recompressed it in 7zip but have not looked into deleting anything.

To test whether you're getting texts, run the USSD code for checking minutes (below). This works for T-Mobile US and AT&T US and will not detract from your texting plan or charge you money. If you have another carrier, find the appropriate USSD code or just send your phone a message some other way.

Memory stress test: Go into the browser, load a flash-intensive webpage. Press the green phone button and call #646# (T-Mobile) or *646# (AT&T). Otherwise, send an SMS to the phone some other way. Press the back button to go back into the browser. You should get a text within 30 seconds after the USSD code finishes running, usually less.

Installation (ADB). This will remove the MMS APK you currently have.:
adb remount
adb shell rm /system/app/Mms.*
adb push Mms.apk /data/app_s/Mms.apk
adb reboot

POST YOUR RESULTS (eg. 8/10 texts received while in browser) ALONG WITH HERO BUILD AND SWAPPER SETTINGS. Thanks to xREVOx for the idea and his original patch. :) Use at your own risk!

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/36553/Mms.apk

Last edited:

alritewhadeva

Mar 26, 2009
Nice job! An ETA on the more advanced optimized Mms.apk? And could I just add this to an update, resign and flash it? Thanks! :) Another great contribution

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
I keep getting an error message..."cannot install MMS on this phone".

That's because I didn't resign it. You need to install it through ADB or terminal (assuming Mms.apk is on the root of your SD):

su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
rm -r /system/app/Mms.*
cp /sdcard/Mms.apk /data/app_s/Mms.apk
reboot

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
I was installing via AppsInstaller from the market. Installs all APK files.

Except for APK files that are not signed properly. I didn't sign it on purpose because most people would be using Terminal or ADB to uninstall the old Mms.apk anyway (required or else you will force close!).

Anyway, I've uploaded a 770KB one to the same link (saves almost 100KB over the last one).

h.nocturna

Oct 8, 2008
I tried it out, seemed to work pretty well, but I lost landscape mode while using the Mms application, anyway to add it back in?

Anyways, back to using the default Mms from jacHEROski1.3 cuz it has the landscape, I'll just have to avoid intensive activities... =/

Thanks for the effort. Can't wait for the super-optimized Mms.apk that you promised :D

ghackett

Aug 7, 2007
I'm using jacHEROski v1.4.1 and this definitely seems improved, but I'm still missing txt messages. Also worth noting... I use dgAlert Classic for my sms notifications and it seems to show me notifications for messages that the mms app drops. But I suspsect it's missing some as well. Is there any way to install the Google default 1.5 sms/mms app instead of the buggy HTC one?