LG 360 VR PC adapter

Search This thread

TheOnlyJoey

May 30, 2013
Hey all,

So i have been working on and off on a PC driver for the LG 360 VR and just picked up a G5 (H850) to start making dumps of the traffic.
Has anyone figured out a way to do PCAP dumps on the phone of the usb traffic?
This would allow me to get every information i need to finish a driver for OpenHMD, so we can support Linux, Mac OSX, Windows, FreeBSD and Android for the 360VR.

I was thinking about using Lineage 15.1 that has usbmon already enabled so i can dump with tcpdump, but i am scared that it might not work with the VR apps anymore, any experience with this?
If someone could provide me with a pcap dump of plugging the device in and getting the screen enabled and accel/gyro going, that would be great.

Thanks

Supportit

Apr 14, 2018
On every LG G5 there is an app called VR Manager this app contains the usb connection code i decompiled the app and every other app from LG that is made for anything VR related.
You can read about the data that is coming from the goggles in my other thread: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/accessories/update-lg-vr360-goggles-phone-t3777892
Also if you didnt i suggest to read this thread completly :)

Here is the start commant that is needed to enable the display and the output of the gyro and accel.

byte[] out = new byte[] {(byte) '\u0003','\u000C','V', 'R', ' ', 'A', 'p', 'p',' ', 'S', 't', 'a', 'r','t'};

Just send it raw to usb over a pipe

Last edited:

TheOnlyJoey

May 30, 2013
On every LG G5 there is an app called VR Manager this app contains the usb connection code i decompiled the app and every other app from LG that is made for anything VR related.
You can read about the data that is coming from the goggles in my other thread: https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/accessories/update-lg-vr360-goggles-phone-t3777892
Also if you didnt i suggest to read this thread completly :)

Here is the start commant that is needed to enable the display and the output of the gyro and accel.

byte[] out = new byte[] {(byte) '\u0003','\u000C','V', 'R', ' ', 'A', 'p', 'p',' ', 'S', 't', 'a', 'r','t'};

Just send it raw to usb over a pipe

Thanks! I have been able to make the first steps for a PC driver.
https://xdaforums.com/lg-g5/accessories/lg-360-vr-openhmd-journey-linux-mac-t3810873 is the topic of this journey, I have run into a bit of a issue with the screen being oriented inwards, i have a image in the topic, would be cool if you could look into it.

CobaltVR

Jul 8, 2018
Hi, everyone!

Thank you for this topic. I've read this topic multiple times but unfortunately, I can't get an overview for myself.
So, with some questions, I hope you can help me:

Finaly, you don't need ( expensive) "Vagle VRD-1000 VR Data Transformer" ?
What output port does my pc need to connect the LG 360 VR? HDMI, usb-c etc?
The rest is al about drivers and software?

Thanks in advance! Marcel

Last edited:

Supportit

Apr 14, 2018
Hi.
If your computer has an usb-c port with displayport you can use the goggles just like that without any adapter. Otherwise you need the Vagle VRD-1000.

The software is for both methods the same.

Hi, everyone!

Thank you for this topic. I've read this topic multiple times but unfortunately, I can't get an overview for myself.
So, with some questions, I hope you can help me:

Finaly, you don't need ( expensive) "Vagle VRD-1000 VR Data Transformer" ?
What output port does my pc need to connect the LG 360 VR? HDMI, usb-c etc?
The rest is al about drivers and software?

Thanks in advance! Marcel

CobaltVR

Jul 8, 2018
Hi.
If your computer has an usb-c port with displayport you can use the goggles just like that without any adapter. Otherwise you need the Vagle VRD-1000.

The software is for both methods the same.

Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

I'm an experience micro-elektronics/mechatonicus ( microcontrollers/robots etc) but I'm not up to date with the lates " pc things".

I don't understand the combination: " usb-c port with displayport".
( I do understand HDMI and USB-C. my pc has an HDMI bu not an USB-c )

Could you place show me a picture/schematic from a setup? All the cables and connectors.
( of course, I googled "usb-c port with displayport" and watched many/different things )

For example:

I see adapters with HDMI-in and USB-c out and with some options in windowsyou to send display signal with Alternate Display over the usb-c.
I seeadapters with both HDMI and USB 2 on 1 side and the other side has an USB-c.

Thanks in advance!

When reached 10 posts, Im able to place a link tomy projects!

Supportit

Apr 14, 2018
Hi.
The usb-c port with displayport looks just lile any other usb-c port. Internaly it is connected to the right hardware.
It is hard to explain.

If your pc has not an usb-c port it will only work with the adapter.

CobaltVR

Jul 8, 2018
Thanks!

( I gues Ihave to learn more about USB-c. )

As said before, my pc has not USB-c ( no USB 3 at all... )

But, with something like this, it might work(?)
Off caurse, it has to be for a reasenable price...

" unfortunately can't place a picture from my pc, only by hyperlink (???)"

Ok, here a discription:
It's a PCI-card. it has at least an USB-c port and it has an HDMI-INPUT
and that one is cabled from the pc's HDMI-OUT displayport.

Gooed evening!

CobaltVR

Jul 8, 2018
Hi, tnx for you help!

My "problem" has been solved. This means, gonna use my raspberry PI as "FPV-controller".
( no need of the LG 360 VR )

Set-Up:
- Old Stereo View goggles, for 5inch screen
- Raspberry PI
- 5 inch composite-video-screen ( about 13euro inlcuding shipping )
- 5.8GHz receiver over (micro-)usb
- 5.8GHz transmitter connected to a mini-cam

Tested the PI, screen and goggles using some youtube demo's ( 3d as side-by-side )

I'm impressed by the result! ( 800x480 works fine. less is not ok! )
Next step is the whole 5.8GHz setup ( mono-view ).
Gonna do the 3d view later. ( need an extra cam and an extra transmitter, receiver must be a dual )

So far, gonna end here my posts. This is an LG 360 VR topic.

Kind regards! Marcel.

Aug 21, 2018
one question: can you buy a usb to usb c adapter and get this to work. just curious as it states that the vr set is usb 2.0 so just wondering if that could work.

if so there are many usb a male to usb c female adapters very cheap online.
s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

alakimaki

Jul 3, 2014
one question: can you buy a usb to usb c adapter and get this to work. just curious as it states that the vr set is usb 2.0 so just wondering if that could work.

if so there are many usb a male to usb c female adapters very cheap online.
s-l640.jpg

usb type c was designed to be a kind of universal port that can encapsulate signals that are directly more usable like audio, power, video.
The way usb 2.0 and 3.0 works is providing means for peripherials to communicate but the way this is done is more restrictive.

The protocol that this device capsulates in usb type c is displayport so if one manages to remove that encapsulation you are left with displayport signal that plugs into your video card. There are usb type c to displayport adapters available but as I have understood the firmware on these adapters is made such that the adapter works in wrong direction. These adapters send video via usb type c to displayport not receive from displayport and send it to usb type c which is what we want.

I did try cheap usb type c to displayport adapter and found it to have Chrontel CH7213 chip. I think I saw software to program this thing on chrontel site but it is not available publicly. Now I do not know whether you would have to change the hw of the adapter itself but my belief is that these changes are so minimal that at least some of these adapters would work in reverse direction with just a firmware change. Software for cypress chips is public. Source code for adapter based on STM32F072 is also floating on interwebs. The HP adapter I got has STM32F072 but it is seems this is not actually based on STMicroelectronics reference design so I think it is a huge waste of time trying to get the public firmware to run on it. Unfortunately it is pretty difficult to tell which design given adapter is based on off hand. For instance Ugreen usb c to dp cable is actually based on VL100-Q3 and PS8330 chips which almost certainly cannot be used with a simple firmware change.

https://www.delock.com/produkte/1022_Displayport/63928/merkmale.html quite strongly claims to do the exact job. It seems to be a fairly new product so not sure where one could buy it though.

Aug 21, 2018
All i was thinking as well was i have just recently started using the hi-fi module from the lg g5 on my pc for better audio and it also has a pass-through for USB type c so i was just wondering if it would work. I now know it doesn't but it was worth a try. maybe getting these 2 devices to work in conjunction would be good? an adaptor to allow the USB signal go through a usb cable and split off the display port into a separate cable? or am i looking at this all wrong? :confused:

alakimaki

Jul 3, 2014
If you open lg 360 vr you can find GND, 5V, D+ and D-. You could connect these to standard usb cable to both deliver power to lg 360 vr and to access the usb device that sends accelerometer data back to phone or pc.
You could connect this delock adapter with usb type c female to female adapter which can be found on aliexp.
Perhaps more neat option would be usb type c male to female extension that you tear down to access the same GND, 5V, D+ and D- signals and connect to usb type a cable.
Delock usb type c to displayport adapter seems to cost around 40 gbp so the reverse adapter probably will cost about the same. A bit pricey experiment.
It is possible that you could take something like FOINNEX usb c to displayport adapter with cypress chip in it and reprogram it with cypress tools using type c female to female adapter and pc.

strfry

Oct 28, 2018
strfry.org
Hi all,

So I went down the way to make an Adapter PCB, with a USB-C jack for the 360VR and a USB2-µ-B and Displayport Connector facing the PC.
The PCB and some code i used to analyze the USB-PD communication is available on Github under strfry/LG360 (can't post actual links yet at XDA)

So far, the goggles are detected as a DP display, with a resolution 1440x960. Sometimes, another strange resolution of something like 2560x140 (unsure) is reported.
In both cases, i couldn't yet get the displays to show anything. And yes, i activated the backlight with the "VR App Start" command.

Current theories why it doesn't work include:
- Adapter pin mapping is wrong
- High signal loss through PCB (allthough it is made with length-matched pairs and 100 Ohms impedance)
- VR is expecting a successful USB-PD Alternate Mode handshake before it will convert any DP data
- VR expects a DisplayPort 1.2 signal (my laptop only supports DP 1.1)

I'm currently investigating the USB-PD protocol. I acquired the LG G5, and sniffed the USB-PD communication, but could only see part of the expected messages ("VDM Attention", probably Hotplug-Detect from the Glasses). So it doesn't like this is the issue.

Another option i have is to acquire a normal DP Monitor, and a USB-C-to-DisplayPort adapter, to see if my adapter electrically works. But i would also have to make sure that USB-PD negotiation isn't getting in the way.

Apparently it is very hard to get the actual DisplayPort-over-USB-C Specification without becoming a VESA member (which costs 5000$ / year). It could be quite helpful to get the actual informaton what is going on there, without guessing and scraping info from IC datasheets etc.

I plan to work on this further. If you're interested in the project, and think you can help or have some interesting information about DisplayPort, USB-C/PD, or the LG360VR in specific, please reach out to me here or via maill:
mail@strfry.org

Regards,
Jonathan

Constantine_RNO

Oct 30, 2017
Hi I'm trying to use my LG 360 VR HEADSET with a Windows 10 laptop with Nvidia GeForce videocard and a USB C port. I installed VR player. It activates the displays on headset, but when I'm starting a video on player it won't show it on headset or on laptops monitor when tracker from the player is LGER1. Also I can't find headset in device manager.

Reactions: mobilebaz

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OpenHMD now support LG 360 VR out of the box.
    As long as you have USB-C with DisplayPort mode, or use a PCIe card with DP passthrough you are set!

Works on Linux, Mac OSX, Windows, FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and even supports SteamVR through the SteamVR-OpenHMD wrapper!

Links:
    Initial Support: https://youtu.be/_9Jqm6uyFHQ
    Branch: https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD/tree/LG-R100
    Vlogs while building:
    Update 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3nJOVIWnk
    Update 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APzf4e0T9j0
    Sorry for repost.

I just found another way of updating the firmware on the goggles, this time with a windows pc

STM Provides an DFUse Programm that you can get here: http://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32080.html

with this program you can get the current firmware from the goggles and also you can upload the new firmware to it, to get the newest firmware you need to take it out of the android app vr manager from lg.

The only problem is that you have to open the goggles and bridge the test point pin B and 5V to bring the Goggles in the DFU mode from STM, the LG DFU mode does not work this time, while pluging it in.
    the B pin is the Boot0 pin of the STM32F411 on the mainbard in the googles .

After that your Pc should recognise a new device you must install the driver from DFUse called STM in Dfu Mode.

Maybe someone has an old firmware on the goggles and can read it out and upload it somewhere i would like to take a look inside of it.

With this information it is also possible to write a whole new firmware for the Google because we have always the fallback and can restore Original Firmware.
    STM is providing a very nice programming Option

In the DFUse Programm is also an application called "DFU file manager" with this you are able to pack or unpack a dfu file to bin, hex, or S19 files. this should be easier to decompile.
    Hi,

for those interested: basicly got my 3D-cam FPV working.
    Based on 2 analog cams, a microcontroller, 3 more ic's and some discrete components.

I'm not sure if this is the topic to drop details, so I'll put a link:

https://www.dronetrest.com/t/some-introduction/6706/13

Still got the VR360 here on my desk...

Kind regards!
    Hi all,

So I went down the way to make an Adapter PCB, with a USB-C jack for the 360VR and a USB2-µ-B and Displayport Connector facing the PC.
    The PCB and some code i used to analyze the USB-PD communication is available on Github under strfry/LG360 (can't post actual links yet at XDA)

So far, the goggles are detected as a DP display, with a resolution 1440x960. Sometimes, another strange resolution of something like 2560x140 (unsure) is reported.
    In both cases, i couldn't yet get the displays to show anything. And yes, i activated the backlight with the "VR App Start" command.

Current theories why it doesn't work include:
    - Adapter pin mapping is wrong
    - High signal loss through PCB (allthough it is made with length-matched pairs and 100 Ohms impedance)
    - VR is expecting a successful USB-PD Alternate Mode handshake before it will convert any DP data
    - VR expects a DisplayPort 1.2 signal (my laptop only supports DP 1.1)

I'm currently investigating the USB-PD protocol. I acquired the LG G5, and sniffed the USB-PD communication, but could only see part of the expected messages ("VDM Attention", probably Hotplug-Detect from the Glasses). So it doesn't like this is the issue.

Another option i have is to acquire a normal DP Monitor, and a USB-C-to-DisplayPort adapter, to see if my adapter electrically works. But i would also have to make sure that USB-PD negotiation isn't getting in the way.

Apparently it is very hard to get the actual DisplayPort-over-USB-C Specification without becoming a VESA member (which costs 5000$ / year). It could be quite helpful to get the actual informaton what is going on there, without guessing and scraping info from IC datasheets etc.

I plan to work on this further. If you're interested in the project, and think you can help or have some interesting information about DisplayPort, USB-C/PD, or the LG360VR in specific, please reach out to me here or via maill:
    mail@strfry.org

Regards,
    Jonathan