LG and sprint admit hardware issue:

Search This thread
S

soulysephiroth

LG and Sprint admitted that some models of the LG G4 were defective, and needed to be recalled.

We received this E-mail originally:

"Retail Team,

A hardware issue has been identified in the LG G4. LG is aware of the issue and is already in the process of shipping out replacement inventory. When new models arrive they will be distinguished from the current inventory in a way that is yet to be confirmed – we will communicate this information when we have it.

In the meantime, while only a very small percentage of devices are impacted, we want to preserve the customer experience. All locations must cease to sell the LG G4 for the time being. Please keep your current inventory in a secure location until further instructions arrive (later today). Until new inventory arrives, please inform customers who are interested in the LG G4 that you do not have any in stock inventory available, but we can direct ship the device.

Please perform any S&R transactions business as usual. If a customer has a defective G4 they are wanting to exchange, please explain that you are happy to perform their exchange when you are replenished next week. If this will put them over their 14 days, we will allow an exchange within a reasonable timeframe (please work with your DM in these one off situations).

Watch your email for additional instructions to come later today."

According to sprint if your device was made before September, it has the chance to be defective.
through this up on paint at work:
attachment.php

LIST OF KNOWN ISSUES THAT DEVICE CAN BE REPLACED FOR:

Flashing Wi-Fi icon or Greyed Setup WiFi option prevents WiFi from turning on.

Description:
WiFi will not turn on, due to flashing WiFi icon, or it being grayed out.

Device will not power on, power cycles, Freezes/Fails to boot up.

Description:
Only device manufactured prior o September 201 may be impacted defects.
Some customers may experience an issue where the their device will not power on. In this case the device not respond in anyway, no LED, no boot up sound, no vibration after pushing the power button, and no charging indicators. In other cased the device will power cycle or fail to completely boot up. In all cases the issue can't be resolved by a battery pull, new battery, or reset.

Split Screen/ garbled LCD

Description:
Only devices manufactured prior to the September 2015 may be impacted with defects.
Customers may experience a LCD failure where part of half the device screen is garbled. This is sometimes referred to as Split Screen Failure.

Camera Fails to Start/ error "Unfortunately Camera has stopped."

Description:
Only device manufactured prior to September 2015 may be impact defects.

Customers may experience an issue where the Camera app fails to launch or start the camera. Customers will receive the error "Unfortunately Camera has Stopped" everytime they try to use the Camera. Some device will will display a black screen then the error message.

What to do if your device has any of this issues:
1. You can go through LG and have them deal with it through warrenty.

2. You can go into a sprint store, and even if the device is not insured with TEP you can get the device replaced as per instructions in the known issues description.
"Action: Exchange (Waive Fee)
There is no work around for this issue. Please determine if the device was manufactured before Sept 2015. If there are no indications of abuse and tampering. As well as the device meets above criteria then please follow the established repair of warranty exchange guidelines for your specific service role and/or organization. "

They will replace the device per Service and repair, which means, yes you will more than likely get a refrub.

Last edited:

cubexg

Apr 22, 2011
New York
Today we got an email from Sprint:

"Retail Team,

A hardware issue has been identified in the LG G4. LG is aware of the issue and is already in the process of shipping out replacement inventory. When new models arrive they will be distinguished from the current inventory in a way that is yet to be confirmed – we will communicate this information when we have it.

In the meantime, while only a very small percentage of devices are impacted, we want to preserve the customer experience. All locations must cease to sell the LG G4 for the time being. Please keep your current inventory in a secure location until further instructions arrive (later today). Until new inventory arrives, please inform customers who are interested in the LG G4 that you do not have any in stock inventory available, but we can direct ship the device.

Please perform any S&R transactions business as usual. If a customer has a defective G4 they are wanting to exchange, please explain that you are happy to perform their exchange when you are replenished next week. If this will put them over their 14 days, we will allow an exchange within a reasonable timeframe (please work with your DM in these one off situations).

Basically, we aren't even allowed to sell the device now till we get replacement inventory because some of the device are impacted with this issue. Seems like they had to many screen and freezing issues and finally had to bite the bullet. This seems to be exclusive to Sprint as the other carrier devices don't seem to have these same issues.
Well this would explain my sluggishness. I thought it was me. Those of us who bought the device when it was released originally and have these issues - will we be able to get a replacement? I noticed that this memo doesn't talk about existing and speaks more about those who just bought. Any insight?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SeeLaH
S

soulysephiroth

Well this would explain my sluggishness. I thought it was me. Those of us who bought the device when it was released originally and have these issues - will we be able to get a replacement? I noticed that this memo doesn't talk about existing and speaks more about those who just bought. Any insight?

You need to replace the phone through Service and repair, if not insured you would more than likely need to call care and have a corp store replace it with I store inventory. We're not sure what this means for s and R with these not insured. But any known issue has a waived fee for replacement anyway

Sent from my LG-H810 using XDA Free mobile app

cubexg

Apr 22, 2011
New York
You need to replace the phone through Service and repair, if not insured you would more than likely need to call care and have a corp store replace it with I store inventory. We're not sure what this means for s and R with these not insured. But any known issue has a waived fee for replacement anyway

Ok. Any sense in calling now and making a stink or shall I wait until the new inventory arrives? Any specifics I should reference when calling in?

S

soulysephiroth

I'd wait till the new stuff comes in. You'd just call in and day you heard from a store rep that new inventory was coming to replace some defective models.

EllGuapo

Yikes! Such a great phone in so many ways, otherwise.

I've only had the phone for a week, maybe I should return before the 14 days is up? I'm in the Advantage Club so it was shipped from corporate to me. The only issue I had is the power button stopped working, so I pulled the battery to reset it and then couldn't get it to power back up. I finally gave it a little smack on a table and it started working again, haven't seen the issue again.

cubexg

Apr 22, 2011
New York
I'd wait till the new stuff comes in. You'd just call in and day you heard from a store rep that new inventory was coming to replace some defective models.

Ok great. Are the defective ones going to be identifiable by a serial number do you think or just have to tell them?

S

soulysephiroth

That email is all we knew right now about it heh.

faizalotai

• Aug 27, 2013

"Retail Team,

And what is this identified HARDware issue could be..

So far i've been holding an updates..

Doomstang

Aug 3, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Interesting. I sent mine directly to LG for repair a while back after I had the half screen colored snow issue. They wanted to charge me $75 to act as a liaison between me and LG because I don't have Sprint's insurance. I wonder what would happen if I walked into the store with an 'affected' serial number, would they swap me out on the spot (when new ones are in stock)?

cubexg

Apr 22, 2011
    New York
    So just had a conversation on the phone with CC regarding the issue.. They see the memo and told me that it's been on their radar since about Sept 21st (great that they are telling people - jeeze!). In any event, have to go to corp store to have them do a diagnosis on the phone - blah blah blah. Here's what irks me - the rep (senior rep not the first guy I was speaking with) indicated that because I don't pay for TEP on the phone, the store or cust service will be able to replace my phone for me, EVEN THOUGH there is a Sprint issued memo. They said I would have to send the device back to LG. Does this make sense? Is there any way to kind make the store do the replacement? Thoughts anyone?

Doomstang

Aug 3, 2010
    St. Louis, Missouri
    So just had a conversation on the phone with CC regarding the issue.. They see the memo and told me that it's been on their radar since about Sept 21st (great that they are telling people - jeeze!). In any event, have to go to corp store to have them do a diagnosis on the phone - blah blah blah. Here's what irks me - the rep (senior rep not the first guy I was speaking with) indicated that because I don't pay for TEP on the phone, the store or cust service will be able to replace my phone for me, EVEN THOUGH there is a Sprint issued memo. They said I would have to send the device back to LG. Does this make sense? Is there any way to kind make the store do the replacement? Thoughts anyone?

A few of us have already sent ours back to LG after being in the same situation. Mine wasn't gone that long and luckily I had a backup but still, it would be nice if Sprint were taking care of it for people. It's not like this is a very small issue, it is fairly widespread so they've obviously got some agreement with LG.

KingFatty

Feb 4, 2009
    Is there a way to confirm that your phone is not affected? I feel very good about my phone, no huge issues I can't live with, but would be nice peace of mind to know I'm not using an affected phone that could go bad any second. How can I confirm?

cubexg

Apr 22, 2011
    New York
    So after CC, I went for my Sprint "repair". At first the gentleman was kind enough to tell me my account had no notations, nothing there showing him the issue. I gave him the specific date that the sprint CC rep had given me (September 21st) and the exact text of the message (courtesy of soulysephiroth) at which point he was magically able to find it and confirm that - yes my phone was Mfg prior to September (gee - thanks guy). He said best he could do was waive the $75 "repair fee" as I don't pay for TEP. He also advised that I should do as manny others have and reach out to LG directly.

So that's what I did - they setup an RMA pretty quickly, and I'll be shipping my device out Monday. Gonna use my good 'ol HTC M8 in the meantime.

Anyone know if I can just do a SIM swap or should I just leave it on TING and use GVoice to forward (as my # is in there?)

TIA to all on the thread!

S

soulysephiroth

Since sprint is CDMA you'll need to have them add the phone to your account. You should be able to keep your G4 till the new phone arrives though.

S

soulysephiroth

They haven't told us what the hardware issue is, or how we'll be able tell which device is are affected. The only thing we know for sure that is that we'll be getting new inventory in and that it will marked or something so we know they're good devices. I've heard the issue stems from something on Sprints software, but who knows.

centran

Jan 8, 2010
    So that's what I did - they setup an RMA pretty quickly, and I'll be shipping my device out Monday. Gonna use my good 'ol HTC M8 in the meantime.

Anyone know if I can just do a SIM swap or should I just leave it on TING and use GVoice to forward (as my # is in there?)

If you mean swap your SIM to your other phone while you wait then you have to activate that phone. If you already had it on your sprint account then it should still be on there and is very easy to do through the sprint website.
    As to using the LG G4 I don't think you can. LG must mark it as lost/stolen or something because when you get the new phone it will have a new SIM and your old SIM is useless and you can't swap it back in.

I'm really hating US cell carries as of late. Back in the good old days you didn't need insurance and if the phone had a warranty issue they replaced it no problem and if they didn't have stock gave you a loner. Now for them to even look at the phone you need insurance and if they replace the phone you pay a deductible.... that is of course unless it is a huge issue like the G4 was and then it needs memo's sent out to inform the stores and it take 3 months to figure out. Complete and utter BS! How did we get to this point where we let them treat us this way?

Last edited:

Kodakcameron

Oct 2, 2015
    They haven't told us what the hardware issue is, or how we'll be able tell which device is are affected. The only thing we know for sure that is that we'll be getting new inventory in and that it will marked or something so we know they're good devices. I've heard the issue stems from something on Sprints software, but who knows.

Were you told when new stock would be in? My sprint repair store tuesday or wednesday but wasnt sure if they were guessing.

cubexg

Apr 22, 2011
    New York
    Cool.. One last question - I was rooted (using UltraPop) on ZV6.. Flashed back to system image using DD. Does anyone think it's necessary to TOT ZV6 or should I be ok just sending it after a factory wipe?

TIA to everyone!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      So Sprint isn't really doing a recall. A recall would identify all phones that could potentially have the issue if it was manufactured during a certain date and replace it regardless if it had the problem or not.
      It would be like Ford saying that the Explorer that was made from July to August had the potential for the steering wheel to fall off but you could only get it fixed once the steering wheel falls off.
      It's stuff like this that looses a carrier its customers.

"Retail Team,

Basically, we aren't even allowed to sell the device now till we get replacement inventory because some of the device are impacted with this issue. Seems like they had to many screen and freezing issues and finally had to bite the bullet. This seems to be exclusive to Sprint as the other carrier devices don't seem to have these same issues.

Well I received my phone, which was promised to be new and was a referb. According to LG it is doubtful that the referbs will fix the issue as there are not good odds of it having a new main board, and the issue would not be fixed. AT&T and Verizon can be fixed with an OTA, however the LS991 (sprint version) needs a board replacement. LG will repair your phone by giving you a new main board, but that can take weeks. When I pressed Sprint about the issue, they agreed to send me a new LG or a Galaxy S6. So just be prepared with all the info before calling Sprint. Be cool, calm and courteous and the will probably do the right thing. Fighting and yelling will no get you the results you are looking for.

Good luck!
      I'm up for an upgrade in a couple and have been looking at the G4, is there anywway I can confirm that all old stock has been swapped out with new devices in places like Best Buy, Sprint stores, Target, etc? Following this thread has made me a bit leary about getting it since I'm on Sprint and don't want to end up with one that falls under this issue.

The Manufacture Date (Month) is on the box. Don't accept or open an older one.
      Got my replacement

after countless of customer service calls and store visits, i bit the bullet and bought myself a nexus 5x.

after receiving and setting it up, i wrote a nasty tweet about sprint and guess what, got a response within the hour (it was way past business hours)

by the next day, i had a replacement coming my way and an apology from the sprint twitter account.

moral of the story? complain about them on social media; these assholes really love their image.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone