• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

LG aristo 2 (K8 2018)

jflow36

Feb 5, 2015
@[email protected]@tribal1209 Hey guys, spent a few hours figuring out how to root. Pretty Simple

1) Enable Developer Options, USB Debugging & OEM Unlock

2) Reboot to Fastboot Mode (Using ADB via PC type: adb reboot bootloader)

3) Add root_boot.img into your adb folder

4) In ADB type: fastboot flash boot root_boot.img

5) After flash successful, type: fastboot reboot

6) Install Magisk Manager App
Sir, I am in need of the stock boot.img and stock recovery both not patched for this device. I have searched all the forums, tried the extract tool, everything I could think of and still can't find them. Would you be so kind as to send me a copy of these or make a link or possibly share it through Google drive or something like that? my gmail is [email protected] for Google drive and [email protected] for one drive. or if you prefer you could attach to an email to my outlook email. my gmail is mostly for spam mail. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks either way

TewSlo

May 15, 2015
Pawtucket
Sir, I am in need of the stock boot.img and stock recovery both not patched for this device. I have searched all the forums, tried the extract tool, everything I could think of and still can't find them. Would you be so kind as to send me a copy of these or make a link or possibly share it through Google drive or something like that? my gmail is [email protected] for Google drive and [email protected] for one drive. or if you prefer you could attach to an email to my outlook email. my gmail is mostly for spam mail. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks either way
no problem, what version were you running? that is important to know. Were you on the latest update?

NonStickAtom785

Mar 13, 2017
Warrenton, Mo
Are there any custom rooms for this yet?
No not quite there yet. I'm sure you've seen the other forums that have been made now. But I'm working on a LOS 14.1 ROM. Then I'm going to make an LOS 15.1 ROM., and following that an OmniROM.

Right now I'm looking for people to help in the building of the first Custom ROM.
If you would like to participate please dm me.:good:

NonStickAtom785

Mar 13, 2017
Warrenton, Mo
Send me a link,
Okay so there's Lineage OS 14.1 and RR 7.1.2 but they are both ported and have a couple of bugs. There's also the new Lineage OS 15.1 with some bugs in it to. If your willing to help debug them pm me. I also have a new recovery project for our device. Here's the Links:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603866258
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603906897
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603865567

The Lineage OS 15.1 will be linked to you if you pm me.

killerb255

Oct 24, 2007
Okay so there's Lineage OS 14.1 and RR 7.1.2 but they are both ported and have a couple of bugs. There's also the new Lineage OS 15.1 with some bugs in it to. If your willing to help debug them pm me. I also have a new recovery project for our device. Here's the Links:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603866258
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603906897
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603865567

The Lineage OS 15.1 will be linked to you if you pm me.
I got the following items from those links working on six out of eight LG Aristo 2s:

Lineage OS 14.1.zip
lineage-15.1-20190125-UNOFFICIAL-cv1.zip
PitchBlack-cv1-2.9.0-20190123-0125-UNOFFICIAL.zip

On the two that didn't work, the touchscreen wouldn't work at all, and the display would shift about 1/2 inch upward. I can use an OTG cable and a mouse to click around on them, though.

I got this working on all eight of them:

TWRP-3.2.3.0-cv1.img

The difference? Two of my Aristo 2s have "10k" on the sticker in the battery compartment and the other six have older versions like 10j, 10d, etc. Different kernel? Different model? Does the TWRP that worked on all eight have the correct drivers in its kernel/boot file?

Would somehow extracting the boot.img from one of the two "10k"s running stock and using fastboot to flash it after installing LineageOS 14.1, 15.1, or PitchBlack fix the touchscreen or would that cause even more problems?

NonStickAtom785

Mar 13, 2017
Warrenton, Mo
I got the following items from those links working on six out of eight LG Aristo 2s:

Lineage OS 14.1.zip
lineage-15.1-20190125-UNOFFICIAL-cv1.zip
PitchBlack-cv1-2.9.0-20190123-0125-UNOFFICIAL.zip

On the two that didn't work, the touchscreen wouldn't work at all, and the display would shift about 1/2 inch upward. I can use an OTG cable and a mouse to click around on them, though.

I got this working on all eight of them:

TWRP-3.2.3.0-cv1.img

The difference? Two of my Aristo 2s have "10k" on the sticker in the battery compartment and the other six have older versions like 10j, 10d, etc. Different kernel? Different model? Does the TWRP that worked on all eight have the correct drivers in its kernel/boot file?

Would somehow extracting the boot.img from one of the two "10k"s running stock and using fastboot to flash it after installing LineageOS 14.1, 15.1, or PitchBlack fix the touchscreen or would that cause even more problems?
Okay I like the feedback cause now I have something to work from. Your idea about the boot/kernel issue could work but the real problem is kernel mismatch. So while 10j, 10i, etc are all the same 10k seems to cause the most issues with screen shifting. If you've read the other Aristo 2 threads you'd see there has been issues with the screen shifting no touch. So as the Pitch black recovery works on all, it's because it uses a new Android Pie kernel and it was built on 64 bit. I already new that PBRP would work on every cv1 device.

Last edited:

killerb255

Oct 24, 2007
Okay I like the feedback cause now I have something to work from. Your idea about the boot/kernel issue could work but the real problem is kernel mismatch. So while 10j, 10i, etc are all the same 10k seems to cause the most issues with screen shifting. If you've read the other Aristo 2 threads you'd see there has been issues with the screen shifting no touch. So as the Pitch black recovery works on all, it's because it uses a new Android Pie kernel and it was built on 64 bit. I already new that PBRP would work on every cv1 device.
I had the screen shift issue with Pitch Black on the two 10k phones. TWRP works on all eight phones (including the two 10ks), but Pitch Black only works on the non-10ks.

killerb255

Oct 24, 2007
Hmmm, something to ponder.... did you try downgrading the firmware to the 10L or the 10J. That's how most people get it to work properly.
Normally, I can load stock 10K or 10L to restore the touchscreen. Moment I put any stock firmware older than that on it, touchscreen issue comes back.

I'll try 10L and immediately load Pitch Black when I get home.

UPDATE: I flashed to stock 10L, re-enabled ADB, installed PBRP, and the no touchscreen/shift up issue came back.

Last edited:

killerb255

Oct 24, 2007
Normally, I can load stock 10K or 10L to restore the touchscreen. Moment I put any stock firmware older than that on it, touchscreen issue comes back.

I'll try 10L and immediately load Pitch Black when I get home.

UPDATE: I flashed to stock 10L, re-enabled ADB, installed PBRP, and the no touchscreen/shift up issue came back.
Attached is what the back sticker shows on the phones with the touchscreen/screen shift issue (IMEI number redacted for obvious reasons). Factory-installed 10k firmware.

Attachments

Last edited:

killerb255

Oct 24, 2007
As I mentioned in another topic, PBRP has the same screen shift/no touch issue on Aristo 2 phones with factory-installed 10k firmware (and presumably 10l as well).

FYI, I also tried Resurrection Remix--same problem on factory-installed 10k.

In other words, everything in your AndroidFileHost profile (all Atomic ROMs, Resurrection Remix, both LineageOS zips, and PBRP) causes this problem EXCEPT for TWRP-3.2.3.0-cv1.img. I wonder why that works, yet the others don't?

EDIT: Sorry about the triple post...wish there was an easier way to consolidate these and delete the other two.

Last edited:

tecknight

Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2010
Las Vegas
Working on 2 new rooted Oreo ROMs

I wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on 2 new rooted Oreo ROMs.
Both are based on the latest available LG firmware for the given phone.

#1 is a new ROM for the Aristo 2 (Metro by T-Mobile), based on firmware 20g.
#2 is a new ROM for the K8 plus (US Cellular), based on firmware 20c.

These ROMs both feature:
  • Installation of the latest available TWRP, paired with LG's latest kernel to insure compatibility.
  • Pre-rooting of the boot image using the latest available Magisk.
  • Additional mods to the boot image to facillitate removal of LG's Root Checking Tool.
  • Pre-installation removal of existing encrypted partitions and associated encryption keys.
  • Removal of the possibility of encryption being forced on any user partitions via modification of multiple fstab files.
  • Removal of LG's performance degrading Root Checking Tool and it's defined service.
  • New modifications to the system image that are now required to successfully boot the altered system.
  • Removal of unneeded vendor software that can be removed without issues, freeing up additional storage.
  • Installation of useful root related utilities that add additional functionality to your phone.
  • Preservation of existing user installed apps.
  • Automatic alteration of system settings necessary for seamless functionality of the ROM when possible.
  • Mods to the vendor image that reliably prevent android system updates from being forced to the phone. This is very necessary, as all LG system updates are now very destructive, resulting in bricking of the phone.
I am looking for anyone willing to test these new images.
Just reply to this post and I will PM you.
Thanks.

Reactions: james28909

james28909

Mar 27, 2016
I wanted to let everyone know that I am currently working on 2 new rooted Oreo ROMs.
Both are based on the latest available LG firmware for the given phone.

#2 is a new ROM for the K8 plus (US Cellular), based on firmware 20c.

I am looking for anyone willing to test these new images.
Just reply to this post and I will PM you.
Thanks.
i would be willing to test. i have twrp 3.2.3.0 i am pretty sure. just let me know what i need to do and i will give you any kind of logs etc that are needed.

tecknight

Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2010
Las Vegas
i would be willing to test. i have twrp 3.2.3.0 i am pretty sure. just let me know what i need to do and i will give you any kind of logs etc that are needed.
That's great. Thanks very much. I take it you have a K8 plus ?
FYI: The K8 plus ROM was a request from a K8 plus owner. I did a K8 plus Nougat ROM, but I have not yet done an Oreo ROM for the K8 plus.

Last edited: