• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LG G Stylo (T-Mobile/MetroPCS) ROOT (5.0.2 & 5.1.1 ) - TWRP Recovery - Unbrick Guide

Search This thread

DrakenFX

Oct 11, 2010
Los Angeles
www.youtube.com
LG G Stylo (T-Mobile/MetroPCS) ROOT (5.0.2 & 5.1.1 ) - TWRP Recovery - Unbrick Guide

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
WARRANTY IS NOW AVOID IF YOU PROCEED WITH ROOT AND TWRP

Windows Machine/OS Only

----------- Lets Proceed on to Rooting LP 5.1.1 (One Click Method) -----------
1- Click Here and Download LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip File

2- Click Here and Download LG USB Drivers ( Thanks @GameTheory. )
"NOTE: skip Drivers if you have them already install"

4- Enable USB Debugging via Developer Option.

5- Decompress LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip on Root C: drive for easy access or any convenient location.

6- Now lets head over where we decompress that zip file and just double " LG_Root_Script.bat "

7- LET the script run to FULL COMPLETION, Your Device will Reboot twice so be patient.
IF YOU HAVE YOU DEVICE WITH LOCKSCREEN CODE / SWIPE CODE NEED TO UNLOCK SCREEN ON EACH REBOOT FOR THE SCRIPT TO PROCEED
Check Image for the whole process - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT
NIWunVg.jpg

8- when the process say
Code:
 ui_print - Done !

press Ctrl+C
press N then ENTER

( Check Image - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT )

uJStcRm.jpg

- And you are done your device is now Rooted

- Phone will Reset and you need to wait till phone is fully Rebooted to system it may take a few minutes so be patient.

NOW YOU CAN PROCEED TO FLASH CUSTOM RECOVERY (TWRP)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THIS METHOD ONLY WORKS IF YOU ARE IN LP 5.0.2
----------- Lets Proceed on to Rooting LP 5.0.2 -----------

First of all Thank you @avicohh for LG One Click Root GUI/Script base on his Guide I Have successfully Rooted the Stylo using and Following some steps from there just adding some thing you may see in the progress of rooting:

Original LG One Click Root Guide and File Download -CLICK HERE-

After getting all necessary files this is what i did
1- Install LG drivers if they are not installed yet. (VERY IMPORTANT)

2- Download the LG One Click Script Root file above and extract to some folder. (double click on the 7z exe file)

3- Enable Usb debugging on your phone. (Go to Settings > General > About phone > Software information, tap Build number seven times and then go to Settings > Developer options and turn on Usb debugging) (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT STEP)

4- Connect your phone to pc. (it will install driver when connected just wait till is done)

5- Switch to MTP when drivers are full install

6- Double click on the LG Root Script.bat file (the Script will run)

7- Follow the instructions.

*Please leave your feedback if it worked for you

Many Many Thanks to @avicohhfor the LG One Click Root

P.S. I'm not a Dev. I just followed the original guide and the only thing i haven't install is Custom Recovery.

If you came across some Fail attend messages just wait a few more seconds, if that doesn't work try again in my case the first try work and 2 fail attends messages came up so just wait a few sec. if that happen

BE PREPARED. First boot can take a while!!! can stay on logo for up to 3 to 5 minutes or sometimes little more before it goes into Optimizing Apps. Have patience. Subsequent boots a pretty speedy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TWRP (Custom Recovery) for LG G Stylo T-Mobile (H631) and Metro (MS631) Variant ONLY
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

- Download Custom Recovery File from TWRP 2.8.7.0 v10j Click HERE (Thank you @Unjustified Dev and @fix-this! )

After Rooting your device (T-Mobile or Metro Variant)​

1- Check -Enable OEM Unlock- under Developer Option (Skip this part if you are 5.0.2)
2- download Flashify from Google Play Store
3- Open Flashify.
4- Do a Stock Recovery Back-up (Recommended)
5- Flash Recovery Image.
6- Will ask to Reboot System and will take you to TWRP Custom Recovery.
7- Now you are done just Reboot System from Recovery or do a FULL BACK-UP ;)

NOTE : This New TWRP (Custom Recovery) have the new fix (Showing Half Screen only) for the new LG G Stylo Hardware Panel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LG G Stylo Update Firmware | Unbrick Guide by @GameTheory.

IF YOU ARE USING @GameTheory. v10i UPDATE ZIP DON'T FLASH v10j UPDATE ZIP , I REPEAT DON'T FLASH v10j UPDATE ZIP YOU'LL END UP WITH BOOTLOOPS/SOFT BRICK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Just Follow step from link below - Thank you @GameTheory.
http://androidcreations.weebly.com/lg-g-stylo.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every KDZ Release for T-Mobile and Metro can be found here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/read-trying-to-root-kdz-files-kdz-tmo-t3152531

Full v10j Stock Restore / Update
Use this guide if you are on @GameTheory. v10i
or want to deleted all trace of root and twrp (Back to Stock)​

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-30-17-44-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-30-17-44-45.png
    214.9 KB · Views: 14,458
  • TmobileH631v10i.png
    TmobileH631v10i.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 9,471
  • metroMS631v10i.png
    metroMS631v10i.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 9,237
Last edited:

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
i just picked up the tmob version yesterday, nice device. not the greatest screen ive had but not bad. im also rooted, we just need twrp so we can use xposed.

DrakenFX

Oct 11, 2010
Los Angeles
www.youtube.com
i think we need to ask xda to make a dedicated section for this device. the battery life is unreal on this thing, my lcd has been on and in use for almost 10min and i have not dropped even 1%.

+100 on that (Battery life + dedicated section for the phone) i have to agree with the battery life pretty neat and i'm sure is because CPU is doesn't have higher clock and screen is not so power hunger, other thing i'm satisfied is the memory management no matter what i do i haven't seen going lower than 1gb of ram always i been having between 1.2gb to 1gb free never had that before so pretty neat and i do have a lot of apps install most of them run in the background,

How can be make a request about making a Dedicated Section for the LG G STYLO? where do i need to sign :D :p if that happen i'll be posting some Bootanimations for this phone porting some old ones i created for the G2 and probably making some new ones.

boynas

Jan 11, 2008
I am pretty impressed with the device. I just bought it for my wife, which she doesn't care what phone I give her as long as it doesn't break the bank. Not able to do that with any of the flagships. Decided to give it a try risking not having the dev support. Hopefully more people takes the risk so we can have custom roms to play for. (not sure if my wife would like that) LOL

Reactions: tatted.brent

Bobby Tables

Sep 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
Ah, good, a T-Mobile Stylo thread. I just posted my thoughts in the thread for the Boost (Sprint) version, but anyway, I'm mostly liking this phone (except that the camera app doesn't offer manual exposure controls). I'm not sure I'm going to root mine just yet (hell, I still haven't rooted my Avant!), but it's nice to see that a root is available.

Bobby Tables

Sep 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
This is really a Lollipop issue, rather than a problem with the phone itself, but I found that the Embware call blocker (which disappeared from Google Play, go figure) doesn't work on the Stylo. It turns out, most of the call blockers out there aren't working on Lollipop.

What I particularly want is a pickup/hangup type of block, so Rachel from Card Services can't even leave a voicemail. I had this capability with the Embware blocker on the KitKat-equipped Galaxy Avant, even before I got around to rooting it. It looks like Google tweaked Lollipop to prevent pickup/hangup blockers from working. #&^%$%^!!!

Extreme Call Blocker claims to work on L, but I'm wary of forking over the cash for it.

There is a built-in reject list under the Call Settings menu, but it's just a straight-to-voicemail reject. I don't want to waste my time deleting spam voicemails, though Visual Voicemail is at least quicker than calling in.

I suppose I could just call T-Mobile and see if they could turn off voicemail entirely. That would at least make the native call blocker useful.

DrakenFX

Oct 11, 2010
Los Angeles
www.youtube.com
Reactions: tatted.brent

DrakenFX

Oct 11, 2010
Los Angeles
www.youtube.com
I'm considering buying the Stylo. Is it going to get a lot of support or is it mostly about flagships G3/G4 these days?

is to early to say it but i have seen a lot of activity and a lot of people are interested on this device, some user with the Zmax are going to be upgrading to the Stylo, we have a pretty good start phone is 100% Rootable as you can see on the 1st post and @fix-this! is working getting the TWRP (Custom Recovery) so i would say we are getting good support so far, Not a lot of support but good.

P.S. this Device is Brand new just got release.

Reactions: master_odyssues

Bobby Tables

Sep 10, 2013
Chicago, IL
I've also seen some articles that indicate that outside of North America, it's being marketed as the "G4 Stylus" - and also in the international market there's also a G4c model with similar specs; like the Stylo, it has a 720p screen, but it has a smaller form factor than the flagship G4, no stylus, and an 8MP camera.

The T-Mobile G Stylo seems to be the best of the bunch, though: double the RAM and double the storage of the Boost version. Having been a T-Mobile subscriber for a while now, I'm glad to see that they bumped up the specs. It also has the unlock app baked-in, so if you're eligible to unlock it, there's no need to call in or fumble around with unlock codes. I used the unlock app on my Avant before I bought the Stylo, and it worked smoothly and easily. If you're not eligible to permanently unlock it, you can still get a 30-day unlock for international travel.

I'm finding that I like this phone a LOT, in spite of the lack of manual camera settings and the Lollipop-related call blocker issues. The HDR mode seems to be able to handle backlit subjects well enough that the lack of manual exposure control isn't as big a deal as I was thinking it would be.

So far, battery life looks to be in the "outstanding to exceptional" range. It reminds me of the F3 in that respect, but this is a vastly better phone than the F3 could ever hope to be. At least somebody is listening when it comes to battery life!

I'm going to hold off on rooting mine for now, though, at least until I can SIM-unlock it. In any case, I've always been a bit cautious about modding my primary phone.

melcali

Aug 2, 2010
How's the battery life compared to the tmo zte zmax?(for those that had the zmax)

Also, does this have the "feature" that when the phone reaches certain temps it lowers and prevents you from turning up screen brightness?

Sent from my Z970 using XDA Free mobile app

guest_2011

Jul 20, 2012
Will it work (root guide) with Metropcs? I just ordered one. Is metro also the same model LG-H631? I see LS770 on the web, not sure if same phone or something else. Anybody tested USB OTG with Stylo?

Last edited:

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
Seems our bootloader is unlocked on the tmob version. Just waiting for twrp. The battery life is fantastic on the device. The 720p lcd isnt the greatest but isnt the worst ive used. It definitly is bright and vibrant and contributes to the outstanding battery life. Aosp roms will fly on this thing.

guest_2011

Jul 20, 2012
Seems our bootloader is unlocked on the tmob version. Just waiting for twrp. The battery life is fantastic on the device. The 720p lcd isnt the greatest but isnt the worst ive used. It definitly is bright and vibrant and contributes to the outstanding battery life. Aosp roms will fly on this thing.

Does it mean Metropcs version BL is also unlocked? Metro is owned by tmob.

DrakenFX

Oct 11, 2010
Los Angeles
www.youtube.com
Id say yes but i wont know for sure. If you can root like we can then its a good chance. We need a dev and our own forum section here.

agree with you this phone needs his own section i'm sure will be good success from LG i have friend that have the Zmax and they are going to be getting the Stylo, we just need someone with the MetroPCS Variant to verified if is rootable the same way the T-mobile variant is.

Is it possible to unroot?

the SU app have an Option to Unroot, i personally haven't try it but maybe someone else know if that works.... never had the need to unroot a phone so i have no idea about that :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-02-16-16-15.png
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-16-16-15.png
    151 KB · Views: 850

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
    WARRANTY IS NOW AVOID IF YOU PROCEED WITH ROOT AND TWRP

Windows Machine/OS Only

----------- Lets Proceed on to Rooting LP 5.1.1 (One Click Method) -----------
    1- Click Here and Download LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip File

2- Click Here and Download LG USB Drivers ( Thanks @GameTheory. )
    "NOTE: skip Drivers if you have them already install"

4- Enable USB Debugging via Developer Option.

5- Decompress LGGSTYLO_LP511_OneClickRoot.zip on Root C: drive for easy access or any convenient location.

6- Now lets head over where we decompress that zip file and just double " LG_Root_Script.bat "

7- LET the script run to FULL COMPLETION, Your Device will Reboot twice so be patient.
    IF YOU HAVE YOU DEVICE WITH LOCKSCREEN CODE / SWIPE CODE NEED TO UNLOCK SCREEN ON EACH REBOOT FOR THE SCRIPT TO PROCEED
    Check Image for the whole process - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT
    NIWunVg.jpg

8- when the process say
    Code:
     ui_print - Done !

press Ctrl+C
    press N then ENTER

( Check Image - CLICK TO SHOW CONTENT )

uJStcRm.jpg

- And you are done your device is now Rooted

- Phone will Reset and you need to wait till phone is fully Rebooted to system it may take a few minutes so be patient.

NOW YOU CAN PROCEED TO FLASH CUSTOM RECOVERY (TWRP)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THIS METHOD ONLY WORKS IF YOU ARE IN LP 5.0.2
    ----------- Lets Proceed on to Rooting LP 5.0.2 -----------

First of all Thank you @avicohh for LG One Click Root GUI/Script base on his Guide I Have successfully Rooted the Stylo using and Following some steps from there just adding some thing you may see in the progress of rooting:

Original LG One Click Root Guide and File Download -CLICK HERE-

After getting all necessary files this is what i did
    1- Install LG drivers if they are not installed yet. (VERY IMPORTANT)

2- Download the LG One Click Script Root file above and extract to some folder. (double click on the 7z exe file)

3- Enable Usb debugging on your phone. (Go to Settings > General > About phone > Software information, tap Build number seven times and then go to Settings > Developer options and turn on Usb debugging) (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT STEP)

4- Connect your phone to pc. (it will install driver when connected just wait till is done)

5- Switch to MTP when drivers are full install

6- Double click on the LG Root Script.bat file (the Script will run)

7- Follow the instructions.

*Please leave your feedback if it worked for you

Many Many Thanks to @avicohhfor the LG One Click Root

P.S. I'm not a Dev. I just followed the original guide and the only thing i haven't install is Custom Recovery.

If you came across some Fail attend messages just wait a few more seconds, if that doesn't work try again in my case the first try work and 2 fail attends messages came up so just wait a few sec. if that happen

BE PREPARED. First boot can take a while!!! can stay on logo for up to 3 to 5 minutes or sometimes little more before it goes into Optimizing Apps. Have patience. Subsequent boots a pretty speedy.

TWRP (Custom Recovery) for LG G Stylo T-Mobile (H631) and Metro (MS631) Variant ONLY
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

- Download Custom Recovery File from TWRP 2.8.7.0 v10j Click HERE (Thank you @Unjustified Dev and @fix-this! )

After Rooting your device (T-Mobile or Metro Variant)​

1- Check -Enable OEM Unlock- under Developer Option (Skip this part if you are 5.0.2)
    2- download Flashify from Google Play Store
    3- Open Flashify.
    4- Do a Stock Recovery Back-up (Recommended)
    5- Flash Recovery Image.
    6- Will ask to Reboot System and will take you to TWRP Custom Recovery.
    7- Now you are done just Reboot System from Recovery or do a FULL BACK-UP ;)

NOTE : This New TWRP (Custom Recovery) have the new fix (Showing Half Screen only) for the new LG G Stylo Hardware Panel.

LG G Stylo Update Firmware | Unbrick Guide by @GameTheory.

IF YOU ARE USING @GameTheory. v10i UPDATE ZIP DON'T FLASH v10j UPDATE ZIP , I REPEAT DON'T FLASH v10j UPDATE ZIP YOU'LL END UP WITH BOOTLOOPS/SOFT BRICK

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Just Follow step from link below - Thank you @GameTheory.
    http://androidcreations.weebly.com/lg-g-stylo.html

Every KDZ Release for T-Mobile and Metro can be found here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/read-trying-to-root-kdz-files-kdz-tmo-t3152531

Use this guide if you are on @GameTheory. v10i
    or want to deleted all trace of root and twrp (Back to Stock)​

Twrp 2.8.7.0 working

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347766806

Finally fixed mounting issue

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk
    Alright guys I posted a flashable zip to update to android 5.1.1 for metro pcs & t-mobile users on my website. All downloads and simple instructions are there...

http://androidcreations.weebly.com/lg-g-stylo-update.html

!!! You must update with this method to avoid getting your bootloader locked !!!

For the Metro PCS & T-Mobile Stylo only! You must have the latest twrp v2.8.7.0 from post #515.
    Unjust is fixing it with new builds , he said it should be out soon. Keep patient. Let the man work lol

Sent from my LG-H631 using XDA Premium HD app
    Honestly my lack of interest comes from not owning the device. The only reason I began development is because someone messaged me asking for TWRP , but I decided to give cm a go as well. There is someone who is going to build and test my new source. There's no point of me building for 10 hours and upload a broken build. When it's confirmed working, I'm sure they'll share it.
    7/12/15 CyanogenMod for T-mobile Stylo will flash on MetroPCS but soon device builds will be separate

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347772461

Working:
    * Radio & Data
    * BT
    * Wifi
    * Camera

Not working:
    * Notification LED (wouldn't turn off)
    * GPS (crashes device don't enable it)

Features to be implemented:
    * Double tap to wake
    * Color calibration