• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

LG G3 D858HK Discussions

Search This thread

flueterflam

Oct 21, 2012
hello
i have this problem
when i turn off the device i cant start it again until i pull-up the battery and put it again
d858hk
root+twrp
android 6.0

any solution
thank you very much

When you say you can't start your phone again you mean it does not turn on at all
or it gets stuck while booting?

I have this problem, but it's not 100% of the time. It's often enough, however. I read in a thread somewhere that it's probably connected with random reboots and the fact that root methods for D858HK are actually based on D856 and it seems to confuse somewhere somewhere randomly. Since people largely ignore the D858HK, I doubt this will every get more attention and you basically need to live with it, unfortunately.

He means that you shut down the phone, and when you press the power button to turn it on again, it simply does not respond to the power button. You must remove the battery (so it's not touched the metal contacts) and replace it again. Once you've done this (in most cases...but sometimes I need to remove battery again...), you can press the power button and it will turn on finally. It does not get stuck while booting. It simply won't even power on unless you remove the battery.

Sorry...wish I had a better answer for your. Consolation is that you're not the only one living with this problem. On a similar note, I've noticed that I almost always have this problem when I have the charge connected to the phone and select to reboot. Once it reaches the power off state, it just gets stuck there. However, if I have no charge connected, it almost always reboots properly. Really annoying... but hope this helps someone, somehow... lol

manechkia

Apr 20, 2016
Razlog
Hi guys, when I enter in Hidden Menu with *#546368#*858# I can't find "High Temperature Property" and "Thermal Daemon Mitigation". How can I disable/enable these options in D858HK version? :)

mariosm1cy

hello
i have this problem
when i turn off the device i cant start it again until i pull-up the battery and put it again
d858hk
root+twrp
android 6.0

any solution
thank you very much

I have exactly the same problem. I also face another problem. When phone wakes up from standby only status bar is shown and the rest screen is black, i can only reboot or shutdown phone which sometimes i come up to the initial issue of hanging on shutdown.

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Guys,

There is already a pre-rooted stock Marshmallow that can be flashed. I personally tested it and inspected the files within it and it looks pristine ("untouched", except for it being pre-rooted). That is the easiest way so far.

If you do not trust that download, you will have to learn how to pre-root it yourselves (of course a little more difficult than just flashing it, but at least you're assured that it's "pristine"). There have been guides (posts) on how to do it. I have tried both methods (flashing the pre-rooted, and pre-rooting a pristine copy of Marshmallow myself).

I have not used the "Kingroot" method. I don't trust it. That's just me. :) (and let's not debate about it as it's off-topic)

I dissagree about the recent posts about the root method causing the reboots though and that the rooting methods available are originally for the D856. Actually, the D856 and D858HK use the same kernel source code (you can verify it from LG's Open Source website). The only difference between the D856 and D858HK are the networks supported.

Reactions: waqasr

flueterflam

Oct 21, 2012
Guys,

There is already a pre-rooted stock Marshmallow that can be flashed. I personally tested it and inspected the files within it and it looks pristine ("untouched", except for it being pre-rooted). That is the easiest way so far.

If you do not trust that download, you will have to learn how to pre-root it yourselves (of course a little more difficult than just flashing it, but at least you're assured that it's "pristine"). There have been guides (posts) on how to do it. I have tried both methods (flashing the pre-rooted, and pre-rooting a pristine copy of Marshmallow myself).

I have not used the "Kingroot" method. I don't trust it. That's just me. :) (and let's not debate about it as it's off-topic)

I dissagree about the recent posts about the root method causing the reboots though and that the rooting methods available are originally for the D856. Actually, the D856 and D858HK use the same kernel source code (you can verify it from LG's Open Source website). The only difference between the D856 and D858HK are the networks supported.

Hey man, I actually wasn't claiming it was true about the D856 image causing problems for D858HK when rooting...Just that at some point I read it as an explanation. I've had this problem on the original rom that was installed on my phone. I had the problem with Aroma and with Carbon which I am currently on. I also have gotten random reboots (both when using an application, any really, and when the phone has just been sitting around for hours). It seems almost like a hardware issue to me, to be honest. But I read people mentioning the root method as being the cause, so I'm not really sure. Regardless, I'm not sure any amount of speculating, agreeing, or disagreeing will actually solve the problem. It is what it is.

You mentioned a pre-rooted MM for D858HK. Is that on XDA or external? If on XDA, I'm not sure I can find it and was hoping you could like to it! Edit: were you talking about this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/lg-g3-d858hk-discussions-t2941114/post64696292#post64696292

Also, on a slight tangent. If we have MM and pre-rooted (or pre-rootable by ourselves) abilities... why am I still seeing no custom roms for D858HK? Perhaps I missed them, but I check ever couple weeks and am only seeing them for the other commoner varients.

Last edited:

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Hey man, I actually wasn't claiming it was true about the D856 image causing problems for D858HK when rooting...Just that at some point I read it as an explanation. I've had this problem on the original rom that was installed on my phone. I had the problem with Aroma and with Carbon which I am currently on. I also have gotten random reboots (both when using an application, any really, and when the phone has just been sitting around for hours). It seems almost like a hardware issue to me, to be honest. But I read people mentioning the root method as being the cause, so I'm not really sure. Regardless, I'm not sure any amount of speculating, agreeing, or disagreeing will actually solve the problem. It is what it is.

You mentioned a pre-rooted MM for D858HK. Is that on XDA or external? If on XDA, I'm not sure I can find it and was hoping you could like to it! Edit: were you talking about this? http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/lg-g3-d858hk-discussions-t2941114/post64696292#post64696292

Also, on a slight tangent. If we have MM and pre-rooted (or pre-rootable by ourselves) abilities... why am I still seeing no custom roms for D858HK? Perhaps I missed them, but I check ever couple weeks and am only seeing them for the other commoner varients.

Chill. :) I wasn't pertaining to anyone in particular as it is not only you who said it.

As for your question (and again I'm not going to pertain to you in particular as it's not the first time someone asked the same):

The MM Rom/firmware that you refer to is "stock" (produced by the manufacturer itself). Just because the "stock" latrst firmware has been released, doesn't mean that custom ROMs can easily be made. :) Custom ROM creators need the actual source code, not just the firmware (the end-product), to make them. If the source code is not readily available, the developer has to "make" one.

Creating a custom ROM requires time - and interest - from a developer to actually spend that time. How it's done can be easy or difficult as they will have to gather/build the collection of files (sources) that will build a custom ROM. If the source code is not available, they will need to compare the actual files of relevant variants (files from the "stock" firmware versus those from already-made custom ROMs) and study how they behave together (bug testing - a lot of programming edits, rebooting, reflashing, and trying again) until it finally works, and then finally teleased for public consumption.

There is another approach, and that is called "porting". This cam be easier as it os not a matter of building from source, but rather extracting a working custom ROM fr another close/relative variant and copy/paste/deleting of files woth the one that's working for our variant. There's a tutorial here im XDA for that.

As an example, I was able to port Euphoria OS 1.1 and Exodus ROM for the D858HK. We are relatively lucky because the LG G3 has different (but related) variants, whoch made the process a breeze. The thing with this approach though is that it requores an already-working custom ROM for our variant (the "base" - like Carbon or CM12.1) and jist copy/paste/delete some files from another custom ROM that has the same Android version.

flueterflam

Oct 21, 2012
@topet2k12001 (too much to quote! :))

No worries. I didn't mean to come across super defensive! I just noticed I seemed to be the last in the thread to mention it and then your comment seemed to reference it.

As for the details you mentioned, I haven't done this myself, but most of it I was familiar. Still, thanks for giving all the details (filling in the blanks for me, and explaining the whole process for others unfamiliar)! I almost included a note in my last post indicating I was completely aware of the difficulty with roms. I opted not to include it hoping that I simply hadn't noticed anything. It was a little bit of a "gimme gimme" hope also :)

All this stuff said, I still wasn't clear about some of the questions I asked. 1) Could you point to the pre-rooted MM for D858HK? I was aware of a non-rooted version, but I search occasionally for D858 and D858HK in threads and don't recall seeing it on XDA. I thought it would also aid others who ask about it here periodically. 2) Are there any MM-based custom roms for D858HK? (again, I've searched, but only seem to find them for other variants. I'm hoping I have bad searching skills! lol)

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
@flueterflam

1. It's im a post in this thread, actually. You will need to check previous pages. Or it could be in another thread for the D858HK. I'm on mobile and on the road so I can't check.

2. None yet, which is the reason for my previously lengthy post/explanation. Someone has to have the time and interest to collect and build the device tree (source), compile it into a ROM, test it for bugs (and fix those bugs), and release to the public.

EDIT: search for the username artshell and look at his posts (he has very fee as he is Russian and English is not his first language). He eas the one who uploaded a pre-rooted MM "stock" ROM.

Last edited:

flueterflam

Oct 21, 2012
@topet2k12001

Are you talking about this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/development/lg-g3-d856-7-8-android-marshmallow-t3294053 (which is referred to in this D858HK three) ?

If so, I think I overlooked this as being not a pre-rooted MM, because of the title. Reading the OP more carefully, it looks like there is root if you follow the directions. Anyway, hope this helps anyone else having trouble searching for it.

I totally follow the reason for custom roms being difficult. I personally have a programming background, but I'm working on a PhD right now and don't really have enough time to jump into something completely new myself precisely because of the time and difficulty with feature checking/bug testing. II"m also uncertain about the source code being available or if porting is only possible for MM on this device. Anyhow, I just found it a bit weird and unfortunate that several custom roms finally came to fruition on KK but it seems people have lost interest in doing so for MM (on the dual sim varieties) - at least that's my feeling from what little I see on XDA during the last 3-4 months.

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
@flueterflam

Consider also the interest as the driving reason. Of all the LG G3 variants, the dual-SIM ones are a small percentage. Most active developers (and end-users) don't own the dual-SIM variants hence, less interest.

I think you meant Lollipop and not Kitkat (for custom ROMs on the dual-SIM LG G3's). And even if they existed back then, only a few were made (CM12.1, Mokee, Carbon, MIUI).

EDIT: oh, no not that thread. That one uses the D855 firmware ("stock" ROM) as base and just modifird a few files to work on all other variants. I tried that for a time.

If you're lookig for a "pristine" MM firmware/ROM specifically for the D858HK (where the only modification was to pre-root it), search for username artshell and visit his posts. The one he uploaded is the "pristine" one.

Last edited:

flueterflam

Oct 21, 2012
Oh yes, you're correct. I confused myself because I was thinking about Kitkat being my first rom earlier and I think the thought crept into my writing accidentally. Funny how you type seemingly random (but understandable) things sometimes!

I know what you mean about small percentage of users. I didn't even consider that when buying the phone, unfortunately. I wanted the dual sim because of lots of traveling between two places and didn't want to be constantly opening it up to switch sims. Turns out I should have just that anyway, with the random reboot problems requiring the battery be completely remove + reinserted (for my phone at least). Hindsight... plus I'm happy enough with it.

Thanks for the tip on where to search. I'll take a look and probably stop by to include a link for others a bit later.

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila
Oh yes, you're correct. I confused myself because I was thinking about Kitkat being my first rom earlier and I think the thought crept into my writing accidentally. Funny how you type seemingly random (but understandable) things sometimes!

I know what you mean about small percentage of users. I didn't even consider that when buying the phone, unfortunately. I wanted the dual sim because of lots of traveling between two places and didn't want to be constantly opening it up to switch sims. Turns out I should have just that anyway, with the random reboot problems requiring the battery be completely remove + reinserted (for my phone at least). Hindsight... plus I'm happy enough with it.

Thanks for the tip on where to search. I'll take a look and probably stop by to include a link for others a bit later.

@flueterflam

Sorry for my typos, I was on mobile earlier. :) Here's the link. It's actually found in this thread (many pages back): Post #866.

If you're interested in knowing how to pre-root the stock Marshmallow firmware yourself, you can read Posts 10 to 12 of this thread.

Reactions: flueterflam

L0sT19

Mar 17, 2012
Bucharest
I have a question, can i flash roms from g3 single sim (d850/855/and so on ) ? My lg g3 d858hk is dual sim but the 2g slot sim is broken and i use the remaining slot.To be short...i want to use the roms from the other variants of our phones because our d858hk has 2-3 custom roms.Sorry for the bad english

GaryFromHK

Oct 10, 2015
I only use the rooted 4.4 stock rom before because I think it is the best version of stock rom.
Recently I flash the Fulmics rom 5.3 even d858hk is not support by this rom. (flash 2 more file from Chinese developer)
Fulmics rom is very good and the battery performance is similar to stock rom but less lag.
Everything is ok(can use 4g) but the imei is lost.

Reactions: waqasr and L0sT19

tampitzel

Jul 24, 2009
Bucharest
Any chance for root on this device? I read that russian forum but the links got removed. I tried with kingroot but no success. I just want root so i can install google phone app, google camera and maybe find a way to install the lockscreen as well. I just want to be as close to nexus because my n5 became sluggish. Thanks

topet2k12001

Apr 22, 2013
Metro Manila

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Marshmallow v6.0 for LG-D856/857/858/858HK

Decided make new post because need make so much changes!

Known bugs:
    1. Not working 64GB SD cards, smaller cards work perfect
    2. Some users report that Bluetooth not Switch ON over Quick Menu. OFF works. Ovr Sytem menu Bluetooth works (I dont had on my D858HK)
    3. Some users report that camera have so much noise and not all menu options not show up (I dont had on my D858HK)
    4. No connection with android wear clocks (different models reported)

5. USB OTG works, but you cant install at connected device programs, you must copy these to internal disk or sd.

First for all!

1. Make nandroid backup over TWRP
    2. Make backup of any personal information (conact list, SMS, Photos, Music and etc)

If you kill your phone when you make bottom steps then all responsibility goes only for you! My guide is only for knowledge base.

Version: v.6.0
    For models:LG-D856/857/858/858HK

Link to original forum thread

You must have:
    1. Lollipop 5.0.1 installed
    2. Root
    3. TWRP recovery v2.8.5.1

Installation over recovery by zip file
    Wipe data, cache and dalvik!!! Then start install!

1. Install M-856-8.zip on recovery (dont reboot yet!!!)
    2. Install Patch-6.0Mm.zip over recovery <- IT NEEDED FOR WORK WIT DUAL SIM!!!
    3. After install over recovery both zip files make reboot
    4. Before reboot TWRP asks about installation SuperSU, install it with swipe!
    5. After you get working phone on left top corner you see icon that SuperSU need to be updated. Accept it and make choice over PlayStore (Not over recovery!). PlayStore opens and make update
    6. After update SuperSU over PlayStore again SuperSu icon show that it need to be updated over normal or recovery method. This time make choice to recovery and phone itself goes to recovery and make update
    7. If phone going to TWRP and it get start loop, then just pull out battery and start normally phone again. And make previous step (6.) again. With same problem second time just pull out battery, start phone to recovery and install SuperSU v2.46 zip

In this ROM dpi changed (not by me) to 560. Normal is 640. You can change it inside build.prop at 530 to 640, depends at your needs.

All this take about 10 min.

Download
    Download ROM M-856-8.zip
    Download Patch Patch-6.0Mm.zip

Additional stuff
    If you dont have TWRP v2.8.5.1 installed then you can do next:
    1. Download D858_TWRP_2.8.1.0.apk and install it normally
    2. Go to recovery and install update twrp-2.8.5.1_d858-bumped.zip

For unknow reason I uploaded SuperSU v2.46 zip (for insallation over recovery) here too

Service menu can be opened with *#546368#*XXX# (replace XXX with your phone model number)

Please dont make mirrors!

Ask persmission over PM to copy this information! If you like then dont forget :good: Thanks button
    "Bumped" TWRP 2.8.4.0 for D858 (and D858HK)

Hi Friends,

I found a newer version of TWRP (custom recovery) from the Chinese forum again, from here (click me!). It's version 2.8.4.0. I tried "bumping" it using the instructions from this thread: click me!

Here is the file, already "bumped": click me!

Based on the Chinese thread, it was designed for the D857 and D858. I tried it on the D858HK (since I assume that the only difference between D858 and D858HK is the Google Apps already built-in) and it worked!

P.S.: I shared my findings to the appropriate "bump" threads: click me! and me too! to give due credit to its creators.
    My feedback:

Worked fine so far (tried for a week). I personally feel it's better than the stock firmware (Marshmallow) as the Phone and Messaging apps retained the "dual" buttons when making a call or sending SMS. The stock/official Marshmallow firmware no longer retained this feature (that was already there during Lollipop/Kitkat). You will have to "switch SIM" whenever you want to change the SIM card to use for calling/texting.

Plus: if you are coming from Lollipop which you already have (presumably) rooted, with Busybox, and TWRP-installed, you get to retain them. :)
    Phone and Messaging apps with "dual" button for 858НК_30а
    Update for TWRP.
    screenshots: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B99GLucn_oGINkM5OGZfMzFHMjA&usp=sharing
    download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B99GLucn_oGIc1d5ZVRld1BSX00/view?usp=sharing
    D858HK Rooting Guide Android Lollipop

HI Friends,

Here's the rooting guide (Android Lollipop) for the D858HK.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/guide-update-to-lollipop-root-bumpd-twrp-t3048845

This is based from the procedure in @autoprime's thread of manually flashing the firmware. I just added an extra step from his tutorial to "bump" the boot.img and therefore, keep custom recovery (TWRP) as well.

For those with other LG G3 variants who want to try this, please do share your results, LG G3 variant, and Android version (5.0.1 or 5.0.2).