LG G3 Update VS98512B Available

Search This thread

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
http://www.droid-life.com/2014/12/05/lg-g3-on-verizon-gets-advanced-calling-1-0-volte-in-update/

The update mainly brings Advanced Calling 1.0 and updates to some LG apps.

It looks like Advanced Calling also needs to be enabled on your account.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...Turning Advanced Calling On/Off on Your Phone

Personally, I'd like to know if someone who is stock/rooted with no system files changed can accept the update and keep root. If anyone gets it and tests that, please report back. Also, include whether or not SuperSU is in survival mode.

With the previous update, I was stock/rooted with 1 system file that dealt with headphone volume changed. I had to restore the original version of that file, then the update completed and root was kept (without SuperSU survival mode being required).

I've done the check for updates on my phone, but nothing yet.

Last edited:

david_hume

Jan 25, 2012
The Land of the Ninjas
I've actually just accepted the update and I still have root. However it may appear to run slowly at the beginning, but eventually everything came back. So if you're worried a root app won't work, then wait around 3 to 5 minutes and everything should be working again and back to normal as well. :) I was rooted from 10C and now I'm on the latest update.

Reactions: GillRigged

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I've actually just accepted the update and I still have root. However it may appear to run slowly at the beginning, but eventually everything came back. So if you're worried a root app won't work, then wait around 3 to 5 minutes and everything should be working again and back to normal as well. :) I was rooted from 10C and now I'm on the latest update.

I see the update available to be pulled now.

SuperSU in survival mode or not? I'm on 11C, but I wouldn't think going from 10C/rooted to 12B or 11C/rooted to 12B would make a difference. I guess I'll give it a go here as soon as I can restore that system file.

david_hume

Jan 25, 2012
The Land of the Ninjas
I see the update available to be pulled now.

SuperSU in survival mode or not? I'm on 11C, but I wouldn't think going from 10C/rooted to 12B or 11C/rooted to 12B would make a difference. I guess I'll give it a go here as soon as I can restore that system file.
I had SuperSU on survival mode. That's what I've always done for each of the updates Verizon released and I've been able to keep root because of it.

hawkswind1

Jun 11, 2012
I'm holding off on this one. I bounce between 4g and 3g a lot and I heard that if you start a call on 4g and it drops to 3g, you will drop the call. Not sure if this is true, hope someone can chime in

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I'm holding off on this one. I bounce between 4g and 3g a lot and I heard that if you start a call on 4g and it drops to 3g, you will drop the call. Not sure if this is true, hope someone can chime in

From what I read somewhere, I think you can turn it off if you don't like it. My update completed, it's optimizing apps now. Will post once I confirm I've kept root (or not).

Reactions: hawkswind1

Hooterman

Sep 13, 2009
I just updated mine. I upgraded from 11C and still have root. I put my SU in survival mode just in case, but I'm not sure if that was necessary or not.

Also, for those that are worried about being stuck on VoLTE. There's a new entry in the Settings menu that lets you turn the "Advanced Calling" on/off at will.

j0hnnyn

Sep 20, 2011
California
I'm still on 10b rooted using xposed installer with some system apps uninstalled. Any chance I'll be okay taking the update?

xdabbeb

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2010
If someone could pm me with a link to a system partition dump (or kdz) it would be appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: nvm, got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordo1603

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I'm still on 10b rooted using xposed installer with some system apps uninstalled. Any chance I'll be okay taking the update?

I'm back up. I had to restore the sound system file, do the update, then put my custom file back. My frozen apps stayed frozen. I had to re-install xposed framework (didn't have to uninstall it first) and I still have root (I did not have SuperSU in survival mode). All in all pretty easy. Yes, I know the update could have included a shut out of root, but it didn't (for me).

You'll probably have to restore those system apps if you did any type of "hack" uninstall (as opposed through some sort of regular OS menu).

Other than that, you should be good. Just re-install xposed framework through the xposed installer that's still there after the update.

I see a new settings menu for advanced calling with an activate button. It doesn't work for me though because I'm on a business account. I'll have to see if I can get the admin to do it for me. I guess it can be activated either there or through the link in the OP to the My Account portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: j0hnnyn

taihard

Jul 28, 2010
I've been doing some searching and still haven't found an answer yet... anyone know how to get rid of the error 0x1117008 when trying to update? I originally was getting error 0x11110004 but found out that was related to the hacked hotspot apk... put the original back and am now getting the new error. I've uninstalled pretty much every app that requires root and am trying to update with super su in survival mode but still a no go. Anybody know what I need to do besides factory restore?

**EDIT** Could it be because my software status shows up as "modified"? Those that have applied OTA with root, did/does your software status say "modified" and update still worked?

Last edited:

cpg1987

Sep 30, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I've been doing some searching and still haven't found an answer yet... anyone know how to get rid of the error 0x1117008 when trying to update? I originally was getting error 0x11110004 but found out that was related to the hacked hotspot apk... put the original back and am now getting the new error. I've uninstalled pretty much every app that requires root and am trying to update with super su in survival mode but still a no go. Anybody know what I need to do besides factory restore?

**EDIT** Could it be because my software status shows up as "modified"? Those that have applied OTA with root, did/does your software status say "modified" and update still worked?

Same thing here. I hope there is something else other than using LG Flashtool to download the stock firmware

taihard

Jul 28, 2010

Here's another thing i'm noticing... before, I downloaded a couple UI themes to change the nav buttons at the bottom through g3 tweaksbox and after removing g3 tweaksbox, the buttons changed to stock on the home screen but if I go in to settings or any other app it still shows the "LG" logo as my "home" button... maybe some left behind changes that are preventing update?

Hooterman

Sep 13, 2009
I see a new settings menu for advanced calling with an activate button. It doesn't work for me though because I'm on a business account. I'll have to see if I can get the admin to do it for me. I guess it can be activated either there or through the link in the OP to the My Account portal.

I did this earlier, it shouldn't be difficult for you, assuming your admin isn't a jerk of course. :) It's a feature that needs to be checked on your account, but it's also a free feature, so I'm not sure what excuse they'd have for denying your request.

Can't help you with your error code, but I can say that my rooted phone also reported as "modified" status before applying the OTA and it still does afterwards as well.

Reactions: bweN diorD

shadiguy1

May 26, 2011
Please help

Phone is rooted and has oem rom ... and xposed framework for tweakbox philz recovery mode just keeps loading after i treid the update what can i do i cant get back into my phone at all please help

Also tried resotring a backup i made yesterday before any of this and its still doing the same thing please please please helpl

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
I had SuperSU on survival mode. That's what I've always done for each of the updates Verizon released and I've been able to keep root because of it.

I'm back up. I had to restore the sound system file, do the update, then put my custom file back. My frozen apps stayed frozen. I had to re-install xposed framework (didn't have to uninstall it first) and I still have root (I did not have SuperSU in survival mode). All in all pretty easy. Yes, I know the update could have included a shut out of root, but it didn't (for me).

You'll probably have to restore those system apps if you did any type of "hack" uninstall (as opposed through some sort of regular OS menu).

Other than that, you should be good. Just re-install xposed framework through the xposed installer that's still there after the update.

can one of you guys (or anyone else who took the update) use this code to pull the modem for us please?
(use terminal emulator)

Code:
adb shell 
su
dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modem of=/sdcard/modem-12B.img

Thanks!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    im actually pretty noob at this myself lol
    terminal emulator app was used last time, i just copied the previously working code. hopefully it doesnt need to be adjusted more than the file output name, which i already did.

Oh wait, I was trying to run it through a command prompt on my machine.

Using the Terminal Emulator app I got this: [Link removed]
    I just updated mine. I upgraded from 11C and still have root. I put my SU in survival mode just in case, but I'm not sure if that was necessary or not.

Also, for those that are worried about being stuck on VoLTE. There's a new entry in the Settings menu that lets you turn the "Advanced Calling" on/off at will.
    Got simple instructions?
    Modified from a prior post by @autoprime in the 11C thread (no fault of autoprime if I hosed it up :) but it's just a copy command )

Use Terminal Emulator to enter the commands below.. you'll end up with 2 .img files on your internal SD card:

su
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system of=/sdcard/system-12b.img
    dd if=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/boot of=/sdcard/boot-12b.img

on 11c, the boot.img was around 16 MB, while the system.img was pretty large, 2.81 GB. Give bweN diorD a shout if you capture the files.

Thanks!
    so...we rename the flash2modem.zip to modem.img? Then we put the modem.img in the flash2 folder? Then your telling us to go to recovery and flash the flash2modem.zip file? How can we flash that file when we just renamed it to modem.img? Maybe I am missing something in my old age or just having a blond moment?

Very blonde!

Rename the img file, not the zip file. :D