LG G4 - Display problem on Gray color

Search This thread

james_007

Apr 21, 2012
I will atach photos of the problem, and is there any way whic could help me, it look like some pixels are freezed. This is most noticable on gray color.

Attachments

• 20160212_172914.jpg
    20160212_172914.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 3,650
  • 20160212_172928.jpg
    20160212_172928.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 3,522
  • 20160212_172939.jpg
    20160212_172939.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 3,473

redentor666

Oct 14, 2011
I will atach photos of the problem, and is there any way whic could help me, it look like some pixels are freezed. This is most noticable on gray color.

It is a screen burn ,i have tried to solve problem with Screen Burn-in Tool app from Play Store
but no success,this problem have also few my friends with lg g4,i newer buy any lg phone again, lg is better to produce tv sets and wasmachines because as phone manufactures sucks.

BrandonSingh

Jul 26, 2014
Same issue here too, it isn't necessarily burn in, more image retention I guess which tends to happen to some LCD's, tried all sorts of things to fix it, if anyone knows how to fix this that would be awesome

Guess we'll have to either get the device replaced or replace the LCD

Pfeffernuss

Jun 30, 2009
Wassenaar
Same issue here too, it isn't necessarily burn in, more image retention I guess which tends to happen to some LCD's, tried all sorts of things to fix it, if anyone knows how to fix this that would be awesome

If it's retention the LCD won't have to be replaced. Just wait a little, and it's gone.

Reactions: gmanos06

james_007

Apr 21, 2012
And it inst always there, it knows to disaper.
And one more thing, it constantly changin, for example now i see 12:30, and for 2 minutes i will see 12:32, not one picture burned in.

Sorry for my English, i hop you will understand what i trying to say.

xzfzx

Feb 22, 2011
Same problem here pink burn that appears only on gray with a few minutes of use.
I was wondering if its just my device or not.
And now that i know that is the case i guess switching the phone display will not solve it.

windozeanti

Apr 14, 2012
I am getting this issue as well. Pinkish tint (when there is a light grey background) and image retention on the top of the screen and I can see those little icons. Did you get the problem after motherboard replacement due to bootloop issue? I am regretting my decision in purchasing LG G4.. :crying:

BrandonSingh

Jul 26, 2014
Same problem here pink burn that appears only on gray with a few minutes of use.
I was wondering if its just my device or not.
And now that i know that is the case i guess switching the phone display will not solve it.

It is the display, friend of mine replaced his and he no longer had this issue.
I think he ordered a $70 USD replacement off Amazon and did it himself since LG requested for him to send the phone to Taiwan.

xzfzx

Feb 22, 2011
I am getting this issue as well. Pinkish tint (when there is a light grey background) and image retention on the top of the screen and I can see those little icons. Did you get the problem after motherboard replacement due to bootloop issue? I am regretting my decision in purchasing LG G4.. :crying:

To be honest it does not really bother me,the only thing is that i can not put a gray wallpaper :/.
And when you mention this i think it actually started only after i got my motherboard replaced because of the bootloop but i might just did not notice until than..
And no regreting is needed alot of people that i know with s6 are not so happy about it..and the only other option was m9...so.....if you like me and had no choice the g4 was the smartest choice lol and i am quite happy with it...

It is the display, friend of mine replaced his and he no longer had this issue.
I think he ordered a $70 USD replacement off Amazon and did it himself since LG requested for him to send the phone to Taiwan.

Well i was talking about that, if you would give your phone to lg they will replace with the same display..so i dont see the point...
And the replacement displays you cant tell how are they as in brightness battery drain and color accuracy...

I guess if it will get worse than i will probably replace it..for now its fine enough lol

BrandonSingh

Jul 26, 2014
Well i was talking about that, if you would give your phone to lg they will replace with the same display..so i dont see the point...
And the replacement displays you cant tell how are they as in brightness battery drain and color accuracy...

I guess if it will get worse than i will probably replace it..for now its fine enough lol

Meh...it's really not a huge problem lol, it grew on me after some time and it doesn't bother me anymore
Hasn't gotten worse over the past 6-ish months or so, so I guess it'll stay this way
I'm from Jamaica so sending it to Taiwan is going to be a bit of a problem

But as for the replacement part, I definitely get what you're saying, I asked my friend about his for the purpose of this thread and he told me that the battery life is the same, brightness/quality is similar to the original display, worse case scenario if you need to change the screen I'd say go for it.

redentor666

Oct 14, 2011
workaround

I have found a some kind temporary workaround ( i don't know is that correct language expression in english so sorry for that :) )
Mainly here is what I did : I have flash latest SUPERXE kernel for stock rom android 6.0 from here , after flash from Play Store I have installed app Kernel Adiutor ,from the drop-down menu selected Screen section and aply this settings :
RED=230
GREEN=235
BLUE=235
Minimum RGB Value=35
Saturation Intensity= 30
Screen Hue=0
Screen Value= 125
Screen Contrast=127
After this no more red colored retention on gray background,not even in TWRP recovery.
This solution is only for rooted devices with unlocked bootloader,I hope this will help You
After kernel installation i have run few times antutu benchmark,so maybe this is also have influence on screen refresh.

Last edited:

gavsi

Mar 9, 2011
I have found a some kind temporary workaround ( i don't know is that correct language expression in english so sorry for that :) )
Mainly here is what I did : I have flash latest SUPERXE kernel for stock rom android 6.0 from here , after flash from Play Store I have installed app Kernel Adiutor ,from the drop-down menu selected Screen section and aply this settings :
RED=230
GREEN=235
BLUE=235
Minimum RGB Value=35
Saturation Intensity= 30
Screen Hue=0
Screen Value= 125
Screen Contrast=127
After this no more red colored retention on gray background,not even in TWRP recovery.
This solution is only for rooted devices with unlocked bootloader,I hope this will help You
After kernel installation i have run few times antutu benchmark,so maybe this is also have influence on screen refresh.
@redentor666

thanks man thanks sooooooooooooo much

gazoox

Apr 3, 2011
RED=230
GREEN=235
BLUE=235
Minimum RGB Value=35
Saturation Intensity= 30
Screen Hue=0
Screen Value= 125
Screen Contrast=127

This worked for me, too :cool: Thanks for sharing.

Anyway I will try warranty soon.

Jedi Night

Jul 24, 2012
Dear guys, 12/2015 I have same issue that burning, my local warranty service ok change a new LCD, it is very OK after replacement, no burn any more. But after 6 months the same issue come back, it is hardware issue. LG always have issue about hardware in flagship more than other competitor.

NonexistentParan0ia

Jul 23, 2013
Houston, TX
Not a G4 owner but I have used a G4 before as well as a V10 and a G5, currently own the V10. This issue is present on all three devices and isn't a question of if it will happen, it's a matter of when it will happen. I noticed this issue with my display a few months ago and the entire affected area has a weird yellowish hue to it which is most noticeable on a lighter grey hue and as of now have grown used to it to a degree: still annoys me a bit. Also had a friend whom I recommended the G4 to and he had this issue with retention since he got it though he barely notices it since his phone is almost always set at 0% brightness :p

Anyways, at this point the main cause for this as I've said in a couple of threads is the display technology itself. I'm guessing this is one of the side effects Quantum Display has for offering near-amoled quality with vivid colors and blacks in comparison to regular LCD panels. Basically, even replacing the display is a temporary issue and still a lottery as you may get one with no issues until a year later or one that already has retention out of the box.

At this point, I might even tolerate amoled displays or non-Quantum Display lcd panels but it's too bad LG makes great phones. Oh well, just another thing to keep in mind when getting a phone from LG ;)

FeederEater

Jul 28, 2016
To be honest it does not really bother me,the only thing is that i can not put a gray wallpaper :/.
And when you mention this i think it actually started only after i got my motherboard replaced because of the bootloop but i might just did not notice until than..
And no regreting is needed alot of people that i know with s6 are not so happy about it..and the only other option was m9...so.....if you like me and had no choice the g4 was the smartest choice lol and i am quite happy with it...

I started getting this burn in and i am 95% sure that it didn't happen before. My G4 was in bootloop so i sent it back and i think that they replaced motherboard. After about 2 months of usage i started noticing this and as i said i am 95% sure that it didn't happen before motherboard was replaced, only if i didn't realise that but i am sure there was not this problem. :/ :/ :/ Is it actually possible that it is coz of motherboard replacement and that it can't be fixed even if i replace screen?!?! :(((

NonexistentParan0ia

Jul 23, 2013
Houston, TX
I started getting this burn in and i am 95% sure that it didn't happen before. My G4 was in bootloop so i sent it back and i think that they replaced motherboard. After about 2 months of usage i started noticing this and as i said i am 95% sure that it didn't happen before motherboard was replaced, only if i didn't realise that but i am sure there was not this problem. :/ :/ :/ Is it actually possible that it is coz of motherboard replacement and that it can't be fixed even if i replace screen?!?! :(((

It's not a motherboard issue but a display issue. With the G4, V10, and G5, there will be displays that will have retention out of the box or in a matter of a few months and then those who don't get it until 2 years into use or in fact, never at all. Only solution is replacing the display but that's a bit of a lottery in it of itself as you don't know if it won't have its own issues and I'd imagine constantly buying new LCD digitizers to grow costly that you might as well just buy a new phone altogether.

Albadawi

Aug 10, 2016
Bluelight Filter

Try " Bluelight Filter " app from Google store , I had the same problem until I used the app .

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    workaround

RED=230
    GREEN=235
    BLUE=235
    Minimum RGB Value=35
    Saturation Intensity= 30
    Screen Hue=0
    Screen Value= 125
    Screen Contrast=127

It is a screen burn ,i have tried to solve problem with Screen Burn-in Tool app from Play Store
    but no success,this problem have also few my friends with lg g4,i newer buy any lg phone again, lg is better to produce tv sets and wasmachines because as phone manufactures sucks.
    Not a G4 owner but I have used a G4 before as well as a V10 and a G5, currently own the V10. This issue is present on all three devices and isn't a question of if it will happen, it's a matter of when it will happen. I noticed this issue with my display a few months ago and the entire affected area has a weird yellowish hue to it which is most noticeable on a lighter grey hue and as of now have grown used to it to a degree: still annoys me a bit. Also had a friend whom I recommended the G4 to and he had this issue with retention since he got it though he barely notices it since his phone is almost always set at 0% brightness :p

Anyways, at this point the main cause for this as I've said in a couple of threads is the display technology itself. I'm guessing this is one of the side effects Quantum Display has for offering near-amoled quality with vivid colors and blacks in comparison to regular LCD panels. Basically, even replacing the display is a temporary issue and still a lottery as you may get one with no issues until a year later or one that already has retention out of the box.

At this point, I might even tolerate amoled displays or non-Quantum Display lcd panels but it's too bad LG makes great phones. Oh well, just another thing to keep in mind when getting a phone from LG ;)

If it's retention the LCD won't have to be replaced. Just wait a little, and it's gone.
    And this app whit the above settings works! no more retention !! and u need root...

yeah, root and a kernel with kcal support. tough luck for those who are not rooted.